• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: 2 million Switch units shipped by FY's end

KingBroly

Banned
Skyrim shouldn't be some outstanding title on a possible Switch launch lineup. It's something that should just exist on Switch too. It's like the standard canon of a modern console.

It's about perception. The perception is Nintendo doesn't get games like Skyrim. By offering counter-marketing techniques, you're more likely to get peoples' attention.

random25

No one here knows the exact break-even cost for the Switch.

But given the price of the Shield, and the fact that Nvidia has to have a healthy markup on those to make any money, that point should certainly be lower than $250 for Nintendo.

Shield TV without the LCD and other components of the tablet costs $199. Shield Tablet without the controller, charger and cables costs $199. If the Shield Tablet is the reference, adding the joy-cons, the dock as a charger/TV port and necessary cables as minimum should make it cost more than $200. $250 is pretty much a safe medium, but I won't be surprised if it's higher or just a little bit lower than that. I don't see it near $200 at launch though.

casiopao

Yeah but by that time the damage will have already been done and 3rd parties will have bailed. Nintendo isn't in some luxurious position they need this to sell well from the start.

The fact the Wii u launched and catastrophically failed at that price should have been warning enough.

Wii U 299 is basic one though. And that bundle is given zero fcuk by everybody as all they wanted is the 349 deluxe bundle. Hell, u can basically said that 299 bundle does not exist lol.

Rappy

Skyrim shouldn't be some outstanding title on a possible Switch launch lineup. It's something that should just exist on Switch too. It's like the standard canon of a modern console.

I'm mostly wondering if those third parties already have a game lined up for the Switch by the March release date. Cause I know numerous other developers have revealed themselves as Switch devs while noting they will release games at a tentative 2017 date.

Like it's not hard to expect a DSIII for the Switch by FROM Soft yeah?
I mean I don't even expect it to be a launch title. Just saying the games in the trailer are appealing to someone. I don't believe the Switch will do well anything above $250. And I can see it actually being $250 as a fair and good price. In addition, to all those ports people supposedly don't care about, there is still a mainline Zelda that has yet to be played before. I'm hoping they mimic the Wii launch in hype and single SKU (if rumors are true) with a superior launch line up.

Zoon

I know that if it costs 250 I'll buy the device plus a couple of games at launch and more on a regural basis. If it's 300 or more I'm most likely skipping it till late 2017. My point is that Nintendo should focus on selling the device to as many people as possible since their profits will come from selling games. But, idk maybe it's me who feels like that.

It's about perception. The perception is Nintendo doesn't get games like Skyrim. By offering counter-marketing techniques, you're more likely to get peoples' attention.

And now the perception is that Nintendo celebrates a years old game for their new gaming system.

There isn't really a problem of showing Skyrim in the trailer but couldn't they give another bigger third party game such screentime?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wii U 299 is basic one though. And that bundle is given zero fcuk by everybody as all they wanted is the 349 deluxe bundle. Hell, u can basically said that 299 bundle does not exist lol.
That was exactly the problem it only sold to Nintendo hardcore which is why it bombed, the type of people that cares less about the price. If the wii u had any mass market traction the cheaper bundle would have sold much better. I'd hazard a guess they don't want to repeat that scenario.

casiopao

In all honesty if it came with a pack-in and the joy grip, I can see it be $299.

$249 for just the base unit with dock.

I don't think it is a good idea to make many bundle again here. It had been seen again and again that buyers only wanted the best bundle here so, it would be nice to just put everything complete in one 279 bucks here

2m in launch month sounds realistic.

Didn't Wii U sell pretty good in its launch month also?
I think I remember something like 1.7m or something?
Someone correct me on that, please.

They are marketing and selling it as a hybrid. We literally havent had anything like it before. Everyone I know are comparing this to their ps4 or xbox one in terms of functionality. Its a home console you can take with you. If you are following mainstream news and not neogaf all day you can see these people have a different perspective on what Nintendo is offering.

Like I said, they arent aiming to please you. Im sorry this advertisement didnt appeal to you but only 11 million people bought the Wii U. They can put whatever ports they want in there and the mainstream and handheld only players will rejoice they getting a new mario kart, splatoon, mario, zelda, skyrim and 2k.

I feel like you eternally trapped in a instance of Nintendo should appeal to mainstream to sell but also appeal to me so I can buy it too. Alot of Nintendo fans thinking like that. Suprised you aint bring up an argument on how the hardware will be outdated as soon as it launches.

It's not a home console though, even if Nintendo want to market it as such.

How do you know they're not aiming to please me ? Enlight me, which audience am I ? Considering I'm satisfied with my 3DS, which sold like 60M units and not happy with my Wii U, which sold less than 13M units. And tell me who's Nintendo is aiming please.

The NS CPU is faster than XB1's, why would it have performance issues because of the CPU?

1. That remains to be proven
2. Unity games have huge issues on home consoles, such as PS4 and XB1. And we're not talking about issues you can fix with a 20% faster CPU.

2m in launch month sounds realistic.

Didn't Wii U sell pretty good in its launch month also?
I think I remember something like 1.7m or something?
Someone correct me on that, please.
Yeah but Wii U suffered from "rettbone" disease

ghost trick based off what you said. Obviously not you. Dont take a genuis to understand that.

Zedark

LCGeek gave us the CPU performance, which is around PS4 Pro to better than PS4 Pro. LCGeek leaked Wii and Wii U's CPU so they have a history of getting it right.

Wow, that really is something if it pans out. Could you link me to where he said that?

Edit:
Not so "ok" if you look at the first month 3DS sales, actually (about 3.5M).

Let's see...

That's slightly unfair, 3ds had a full month, while the Switch could have just half a month or so (depending on when in March it launches).

Speely

Banned
Because having a dock with a video out doesn't make it a home console. Would you call your laptop a desktop ?

Having a console that sits at home and connects to your TV for modern 3d gaming makes it a home console. Just because it also decouples from it's dock and has the additional functionality of being able to be taken with you does not make that any less true.

Moreover, we don't know much about it's specs yet other than whatever speculation can tell us about the Tegra architecture and what a custom chip might look like from there. And Emily's rumors which coincidentally put it in home console territory anyway.

We don't know if the dock improves performance, and if so by how much. However if it DOES improve performance, then one might say that the home experience is the most definitive experience for core gamers, making it a... wait for it... home console first and foremost. Yes?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
2 mio.? That's a rather conservative estimation. Depends also when in March is launching. I would have expected a bit more, but we'll see.

Having a console that sits at home and connects to your TV for modern 3d gaming makes it a home console. Just because it also decouples from it's dock and has the additional functionality of being able to be taken with you does not make that any less true.

Moreover, we don't know much about it's specs yet other than whatever speculation can tell us about the Tegra architecture and what a custom chip might look like from there. And Emily's rumors which coincidentally put it in home console territory anyway.

We don't know if the dock improves performance, and if so by how much. However if it DOES improve performance, then one might say that the home experience is the most definitive experience for core gamers, making it a... wait for it... home console first and foremost. Yes?

large.jpg

Seriously, have you seen it ?
Don't tell me this 6 inch screen is a home console. As for improving performance, the dock itself is likely doing nothing. It'll basically act as ANY portable hardware acts when getting plugged to the power socket.

Clessidor

Because having a dock with a video out doesn't make it a home console. Would you call your laptop a desktop ?

But having a system which supports local multiplayer and different Gamepad connectivity isn't a handheld either. By the way it's presented it's mre of home console experience, which you can take on the go then a handheld experience which you can output on your TV.

I bet it doesn't launch worldwide now in march. Maybe NA and Japan in march. 2 million seems a little low, or it launches at the very end of the month.

ggx2ac

Not so "ok" if you look at the first month 3DS sales, actually (about 3.5M).

Let's see...

You mean the same 3DS that had a shit launch lineup and had to have a drastic price cut and caused Nintendo to make headlines by having its first financial loss in many years?

But having a system which supports local multiplayer and different Gamepad connectivity isn't a handheld either. By the way it's presented it's mre of home console experience, which you can take on the go then a handheld experience which you can output on your TV.

That's called their new gimmick.
It's like saying having two screens on NDS doesn't make it a handheld.

Shane

Two million is sensible.

I see a global release date of Friday 17th March 2017.

Priced £250 without pro controller.
Maybe a £320 launch bundle with Zelda and pro controller.

£300 would be a risk. Both the One and PS4 will be priced cheaper than that, people have friends on them already, they have bigger game libraries, they're more powerful, and have blu-ray drives.

ozfunghi

For a home console, 299 would be fine, but it would again be underpowered. They need to sell it for what it is, a hybrid, and find the added value in that which they need to promote.

For me, 299 is the absolute maximum I'm paying after the WiiU, and it needs a pack in game. A real game, not a proof of concept demo. Maybe a third party game, why not skyrim.

250 would be better and I'd bite without a pack in game. Yet I don't understand Nintendo's reasoning here. They aren't strapped for cash, so if they don't want to sell at a loss, they should just sell it with zero profit in order to give the console the best chances to succeed. Having this thing succeed should be number one on their priority list, well above making money on hardware.

This is coming from a 25 year long (not old) Nintendo only gamer.

Speely

Banned
large.jpg

Seriously, have you seen it ?
Don't tell me this 6 inch screen is a home console. As for improving performance, the dock itself is likely doing nothing. It'll basically act as ANY portable hardware acts when getting plugged to the power socket.

No, that 6 inch screen is the main console. The home console is that screen and the dock together, and despite you claiming it's basically nothing, we simply don't know that yet, and should probably reserve judgement on what this is "worth" as a console until we do. Might turn out you are right, but it just sounds like you are assuming a bit much at this point, especially when there are a lot of details we don't know yet.

random25

For a home console, 299 would be fine, but it would again be underpowered. They need to sell it for what it is, a hybrid, and find the added value in that which they need to promote.

For me, 299 is the absolute maximum I'm paying after the WiiU, and it needs a pack in game. A real game, not a proof of concept demo. Maybe a third party game, why not skyrim.

250 would be better and I'd bite without a pack in game. Yet I don't understand Nintendo's reasoning here. They aren't strapped for cash, so if they don't want to sell at a loss, they should just sell it with zero profit in order to give the console the best chances to succeed. Having this thing succeed should be number one on their priority list, well above making money on hardware.

That's not wise given that a big chunk of their revenues comes from hardware sales. If they sell this at a loss or 0 profit, might as well go third party selling software.

Shane

That's not wise given that a big chunk of their revenues comes from hardware sales. If they sell this at a loss or 0 profit, might as well go third party selling software.

I thought all their money came from first party? Like Mario Kart bringing in a lot of money every generation. A loss is a definite no. Minimal profit on the console at launch and then minor profit as parts become cheaper is possible. They need to take a hit somewhere.

casiopao

Nintendo get tons of money from hardware. It is essentially their bread and butter bruh,

ramparter

Banned
Let's hope they don't do something silly like make it $299 in the US and £299 in the UK

It wouldn't be so surprising considering the value of GBP right now. Don't forget uk prices include the VAT - this isn't the case for US If I'm not mistaken.

ozfunghi

Nintendo get tons of money from hardware. It is essentially their bread and butter bruh,

No it's not.

This is false. They'd still earn royalties from third party publishers, they still keep 100% of their own software. Which would not be the case if they weren't 3rd party.

Making this console succeed, is much much more important than making a profit on a device people find overpriced.

Top Bottom