• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Unannounced 3DS games coming, wants more Wii U titles like Splatoon and MM

bman94

http://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-unannounced-3ds-games-coming-wants-more-wii-u-titles-like-splatoon-and-mario-maker/

Don't know if this was discussed in another thread but I found it interesting that there's still more support planned for the 3DS when the Wii U is suffering from software at the moment. According to the article:
As for what lies ahead in the next period, Kimishima said development on software continues, including large-scale titles that can’t be announced just yet. He believes that the 3DS will remain a big pillar in the next period.
which doesn't sound good for support for the Wii U since new software for the 3DS this year trumps the Wii U software output.

I did find it interesting that it states:
However, titles like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker have a favorable reputation, so Kimishima thinks Nintendo would like to be able to release titles that could receive the same sort of reputation in the next period as well.
Splatoon and Super Mario Maker are really online focused games could he be hinting at unnannounced Wii U titles or does he simply believe that the Wii U titles scheduled for this year can match the caliber of these titles?

Kimishima wouldn’t talk about new enterprises, as he would instead like to go more in-depth when Nintendo announces forecasts for the next period. That means the financial results briefing wasn’t a place to speak about NX either. Kimishima did mention that Nintendo is currently progressing on considering various developments and plans towards the system’s release, so he thinks it will need even more investments than now.

So what I take from this is that any other investor meeting after this probably won't have an NX information. Possibly a big even to showcase then? Splatter me with ink if old and irrelevant.

Neoxon

It'll probably be Pokémon Z for the 3DS. And I don't see the point for more Wii U games like Splatoon & Super Mario Maker or more 3DS games with the NX Platform coming.

3DS will get Pokémon and maybe more localizations. For Wii U, I wouldn't take that to mean anything more than "We hope upcoming games will be as well-received as Splatoon and Super Mario Maker."

Kimishima wouldn’t talk about new enterprises, as he would instead like to go more in-depth when Nintendo announces forecasts for the next period. That means the financial results briefing wasn’t a place to speak about NX either. Kimishima did mention that Nintendo is currently progressing on considering various developments and plans towards the system’s release, so he thinks it will need even more investments than now.

So NX details incoming at the FY2016-17 briefing, if not before that.

Not surprising- I've been saying for months that investors need to be informed at such a big project for the next financial year.

NCL has 3 unreleased titles currently for Japan on 3DS slated for this year:

Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics (Feb 18)
Culdecept Revolt (TBA)
Metroid Prime Federation Force (TBA)

Plus the Pokemon VC releases.

So..yeah you would expect them to have something unannounced.

maxcriden

If 3DS remains a large pillar...they have planned support until the NX portable launches. Maybe a big game for August.

I think there was a Q&A answer where Kimi-san said one or more big Wii U releases are planned for this year that will have similar appeal (the prevailing interpretation being, in terms of online infrastructure and continued appeing rollout of content).

I don't think any Wii U titles we know about, nor those not formally announced like Pikmin 4 or rumored like Paper Mario, have that potential unless they are very unlike prior games in the series. Nor Zelda, with the same caveat--especially since 3D Zelda games are not hugely popular in Japan.

BY2K

Membero Americo
3DS to remain a large pillar? Wouldn't that throw all the "NX handheld releasing first" speculation out the window?

Poyunch

There's still Rhythm Heaven Plus to localize, so I suppose there's some stuff left in the reserves for a western release.

I can embrace the retiring of the 3DS as soon as this happens. Give me this game Nintendo and I'll buy your NX.

i don't know much about Kimishima and it's way too early to past any judgement. i also think no one can fill Iwata's shoes. With that said, i think his playing it right.

There's no point in deverting attention when you still have some key software in coming for your cuarrent devices.

It is a shame Iwata felt pressure and had to talk about their upcoming successive platform, as people focused too much on the NX withouth knowing much and often times ignoring quality titles that are been released on both the 3DS and Wii U.

NO point in rush things... take your time.

Thud

Is he hinting at Star Fox Zero and Pokken Tournament?

I can't imagine they have unannounced WiiU titles like Splatoon and Mario Maker.

3DS is going out with a bang tho.

Scum

The teams behind Splatoon & Mario Maker did their homework and ended up with two sensational titles. So, more titles like Splatoon? Well then, I for one, welcome our new Nintendo Garage Overlords.

Of course he wants more million sellers like Splatoon and Mario Maker. :p

It's interesting to hear that there's big unannounced 3DS games coming. I'm guessing one of them will be the last 3DS Pokemon. Z I guess.

Mariolee

Kimishima saying all the right things. But talk is talk. Really hope to see something concrete from Nintendo soon.

FZZ

Banned
3DS to remain a large pillar? Wouldn't that throw all the "NX handheld releasing first" speculation out the window?

Hell fucking yes

I'm in it

Also I hate this 100x more recluse Nintendo that gives us a Direct once every blue moon and owners of their hardware have no idea what or when shit is coming out :/

RK128

So, lets start the guessing game here :).

3DS:
-Pokemon Z
-Yo-Kai Watch 2 and Busters
-Rythem Heaven 3DS Localization
-Style Savy 2016 3DS Localization for NA Markets

Wii U
-Paper Mario
-Mario Maker 2 (?)
-Diddy Kong Racing/Monster Games Project (?)

3DS:
-Pokemon Z

Wii U
-Paper Mario
-Mario Maker 2 (?)

Pokemon Z
Mario Maker
Zelda Link's Awakening remake

All for 3DS. :D

Luigi's Mansion needs to be remade for Wii U way more than Kid Icarus. Luigi's Mansion isn't designed to be a handheld experience, both in terms of game design (no checkpoints) and in terms of control design.

EDIT: I guess my E3 predictions will be

1. Rhythm Heaven Plus localized for 3DS, out Summer 2016
2. Pikmin 4 for Wii U, can be played on both NXes
3. The Legend of Zelda U can be played on handheld both NXes
4. Star Fox Zero delayed to NX, receiving major overhaul
5. Punch-Out!! 2 for NX launch
6. Metroid Prime 4 announced, playable on Wii U and NX (with major visual enhancements when played on NX)
7. Undertale revealed for 3DS, Wii U, and NX
8. Mother 3 revealed for Wii U, renamed EarthBound 2, and released on Virtual Console as well as in the "EarthBound Collection" for Wii U and 3DS
9. Paper Mario revealed for Wii U
10. Super Smash Bros. for NX revealed, shows off 3DS content as well as Wolf, Paper Mario, and Dixie Kong
11. Pokemon Z (or possibly a pair of games instead)

(outlandishness grows substantially from this point on)

12. Surprise Mario Kart 8 DLC announcements, introducing two final packs that include two guest characters (Kirby and Samus), two classics (Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong), and two new ones (*shrug* Captain Syrup and Dixie Kong?)
13. Major collaboration between Nintendo and Capcom (Nintendo X Capcom as the next big multi-player Wii U game?)
Metroid Prime: Federation Forces receives huge overhaul - models made more realistic, single-player is more akin to a proper Metroid Prime game with a proper, defined main character (maybe even Anthony Higgs). Samus is integral, but not the star.
14. HUGE Mario Maker DLC expansion to be rolled out until the end of 2016, featuring new themes, enemies, power-ups, functions, amiibo costumes, environmental objects, water/lava tiles - all for free. Leading into this is then...
15. Mario Maker 2 announced for the NX. BC with Mario Maker levels, and has tons of new additions, including a story mode, a world map system taken from Super Mario World, and game modes for Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, and their real big leap - Super Mario Galaxy, allowing for players to create 3D levels.
16. Nintendo announces that it has licensed Bomberman and will release a Bomberman game for 3DS, Wii U, and NX's eShops (with compatibility between all three).
17. Splatoon NX announced, featuring improvements to multi-player, but mostly focusing on improving local multi-player and creating a huge, robust single-player mode.

I hope I get at least a few right lol.

Which is still technically a Western release.

Semantics aside, the game has not been released in one of Nintendo's major markets.

Also I hate this 100x more recluse Nintendo that gives us a Direct once every blue moon and owners of their hardware have no idea what or when shit is coming out :/

Yeah, the fact that we hear news for every other game on a daily basis and yet have absolutely zero clue what Nintendo's plans for this year are is beyond frustrating. Keeping consumers in the dark about what your products are is just not a good look.

It's weird because they were pretty good about this for the first half of last year (January and April had some great Directs) and then as soon as E3 ended everything just completely fell apart.

VegiHam

We all do. Remember when we had a direct every couple of months? Good times.

3DS:
-Pokemon Z

Wii U
-Paper Mario
-Mario Maker 2 (?)

mother triology

Actually I would be really interested to see if they could port something from their gamecube / wii / wii u catalog, since this seems to be something of a trend.

Not really. Remember how the GBA was, at first, still one of the "main pillars" of Nintendo while they were testing waters with the DS? It's the exact same thing.

Astral Dog

Of course, because making HD games for Wii U cost more time and money than keeping support for the FAR more successful 3DS

Doctre81

Not quite. Remember when the gameboy line was supposed to remain a major pillar during the ds announcement? Means nothing

TheJoRu

Well, you could look at it a number of ways. That he's being super honest and 3DS support will live on for quite a while longer is one.

Another is: He isn't talking or announcing NX now. He doesn't want people to be excited about that right now, there are still 3DS hardware and software to sell, so saying "3DS support will be gone soon" would be very irresponsible, regardless of whether that'd be a more truthful statement or not.

Sure, people still remember the "third pillar"-stuff with GBA/DS, but 3DS will have lived a long life by this time next year, so I don't think the disappointment will be that big if they start focusing on a brand new portable after this year.

120v

well what else is he going to say.

sure 3DS will get a more mileage but i don't see anything too major aside from a few titles. Wii U will get a few consolatory titles probably

Neoxon

What these guys said.
Not really. Remember how the GBA was, at first, still one of the "main pillars" of Nintendo while they were testing waters with the DS? It's the exact same thing.
Not quite. Remember when the gameboy line was supposed to remain a major pillar during the ds announcement? Means nothing
They said the same thing about the GBA when the DS was coming out.
Well, you could look at it a number of ways. That he's being super honest and 3DS support will live on for quite a while longer is one.

Another is: He isn't talking or announcing NX now. He doesn't want people to be excited about that right now, there are still 3DS hardware and software to sell, so saying "3DS support will be gone soon" would be very irresponsible, regardless of whether that'd be a more truthful statement or not.

Sure, people still remember the "third pillar"-stuff with GBA/DS, but 3DS will have lived a long life by this time next year, so I don't think the disappointment will be that big if they start focusing on a brand new portable after this year.

Top Bottom