• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Unannounced 3DS games coming, wants more Wii U titles like Splatoon and MM

Hyperbole

Banned
I want more fresh titles from Nintendo. Splatoon is my goty 2015. But Im not so sure the amazing accomplishment of Splatoon is easily replicated. MM was fun too, but I think they have taken the formula as far as it can go short of becoming LittleBigPlanet. Splatoon represents Nintendo's take on the shooter, which was the final genre they had no franchise for (except maybe horror). I can't think of any other genres they don't already have presence.

In any event, I'm all for more Nintendo experiments and fresh IP. I hope Splatoon 2 gets a huge budget too. I'm ready for a new powerful handheld too.

Ansatz

Splatoon and Super Mario Maker are really online focused games could he be hinting at unnannounced Wii U titles or does he simply believe that the Wii U titles scheduled for this year can match the caliber of these titles?

I think he means games that build communities and are relevant long past launch. Stuff like Yoshi's Woolly World are almost forgotten by now, instead it's those that people keep returning to.

Yes we will still get Pikmin, Mario and Zelda but I think the single player campaign games will slowly get phased out in favor of online/social experiences and games that never 'end' like Tomodachi Life. On NX we'll probably see less Star Fox, Rainbow Paintbrush, Tropical Freeze and more games as services.

SpotAnime

There's still Rhythm Heaven Plus to localize, so I suppose there's some stuff left in the reserves for a western release.

Namely Style Savvy 3 and Disney Magical World 2.

These alone would make the 3DS my console of the year.

Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3, Monster Hunter X, Monster Hunter Stories...

And if these got announced, other consoles wouldn't even be close.

Neoxon

I think he means games that build communities and are relevant long past launch. Stuff like Yoshi's Woolly World are almost forgotten by now, instead it's those that people keep returning to.

Yes we will still get Pikmin, Mario and Zelda but I think the single player campaign games will slowly get phased out in favor of online/social experiences and games that never 'end' like Tomodachi Life. On NX we'll probably see less Star Fox, Rainbow Paintbrush, Tropical Freeze and more games as services.
You need a balance of both. Sometimes you need a single player experience.

And if these got announced, other consoles wouldn't even be close.
We'll probably just get MHXU on the NX Platform.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Not really. Remember how the GBA was, at first, still one of the "main pillars" of Nintendo while they were testing waters with the DS? It's the exact same thing.

To be fair Japan got Mother 3 in 2006, the West got a Nintendo-published Tales of Phantasia for the first time, and just the year before there was Mario Tennis: Power Tour.

Final Fantasy VI Advance was published by Nintendo in the West and was a 2007 release! IV and V Advance also released after the DS had released.

If you like JRPG's Nintendo actually put a fair amount of effort into the GBA long after the DS released even after they slowed internal releases. It could have been worse.

Regiruler

Luigi's Mansion needs to be remade for Wii U way more than Kid Icarus. Luigi's Mansion isn't designed to be a handheld experience, both in terms of game design (no checkpoints) and in terms of control design.

EDIT: I guess my E3 predictions will be

1. Rhythm Heaven Plus localized for 3DS, out Summer 2016
2. Pikmin 4 for Wii U, can be played on both NXes
3. The Legend of Zelda U can be played on handheld both NXes
4. Star Fox Zero delayed to NX, receiving major overhaul
5. Punch-Out!! 2 for NX launch
6. Metroid Prime 4 announced, playable on Wii U and NX (with major visual enhancements when played on NX)
7. Undertale revealed for 3DS, Wii U, and NX
8. Mother 3 revealed for Wii U, renamed EarthBound 2, and released on Virtual Console as well as in the "EarthBound Collection" for Wii U and 3DS
9. Paper Mario revealed for Wii U
10. Super Smash Bros. for NX revealed, shows off 3DS content as well as Wolf, Paper Mario, and Dixie Kong
11. Pokemon Z (or possibly a pair of games instead)

(outlandishness grows substantially from this point on)

12. Surprise Mario Kart 8 DLC announcements, introducing two final packs that include two guest characters (Kirby and Samus), two classics (Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong), and two new ones (*shrug* Captain Syrup and Dixie Kong?)
13. Major collaboration between Nintendo and Capcom (Nintendo X Capcom as the next big multi-player Wii U game?)
Metroid Prime: Federation Forces receives huge overhaul - models made more realistic, single-player is more akin to a proper Metroid Prime game with a proper, defined main character (maybe even Anthony Higgs). Samus is integral, but not the star.
14. HUGE Mario Maker DLC expansion to be rolled out until the end of 2016, featuring new themes, enemies, power-ups, functions, amiibo costumes, environmental objects, water/lava tiles - all for free. Leading into this is then...
15. Mario Maker 2 announced for the NX. BC with Mario Maker levels, and has tons of new additions, including a story mode, a world map system taken from Super Mario World, and game modes for Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, and their real big leap - Super Mario Galaxy, allowing for players to create 3D levels.
16. Nintendo announces that it has licensed Bomberman and will release a Bomberman game for 3DS, Wii U, and NX's eShops (with compatibility between all three).
17. Splatoon NX announced, featuring improvements to multi-player, but mostly focusing on improving local multi-player and creating a huge, robust single-player mode.

I hope I get at least a few right lol.

13(.5?) Federation Force may be overhauled, but it's still going to primarily be a multiplayer focused experience. Models are one thing, the game's entire concept is another.

Banned
Paper Mario (rumored)

Zelda U

Pikmin 4 (in development but a platform was never specified)

Pokémon Z (Teased a lot by Gamefreak, and we know they take awhile to put new pokemon's on new handhelds until the install base is there i.e. Black and White 2 before X&Y)

Pokémon is definetly a heavy hitter for 3DS but Wii U is looking barren. Maybe the n3DS was meant to buy an extra year of time for the 3DS so they can focus on the NX console first? I mean, it is cheaper and faster to make 3DS games, and it has an install base of 57 million compared to Wii U's 12.6m.

The Wii U closing out the second half of the year with Pikmin, Paper Mario and Pikmin 4 would be decent enough along with Zelda to end the Wii U's chapter and bring on the NX for 2016 and perhaps the handheld for 2017 (even though I think both should be launched simultaneously)

Banned
Luigi's Mansion needs to be remade for Wii U way more than Kid Icarus. Luigi's Mansion isn't designed to be a handheld experience, both in terms of game design (no checkpoints) and in terms of control design.

EDIT: I guess my E3 predictions will be

1. Rhythm Heaven Plus localized for 3DS, out Summer 2016
Yes
2. Pikmin 4 for Wii U, can be played on both NXes
Yes
3. The Legend of Zelda U can be played on handheld both NXes
Yes
4. Star Fox Zero delayed to NX, receiving major overhaul
No
5. Punch-Out!! 2 for NX launch
No
6. Metroid Prime 4 announced, playable on Wii U and NX (with major visual enhancements when played on NX)
If a new Metroid is to be developed it'll be NX only as stated by Prime director Tanabe
7. Undertale revealed for 3DS, Wii U, and NX
Wii U and 3DS don't support the engine Undertale was made on. NX for sure.
8. Mother 3 revealed for Wii U, renamed EarthBound 2, and released on Virtual Console as well as in the "EarthBound Collection" for Wii U and 3DS
Mother 3 will come, don't know if they'll mess with naming or make a collection
9. Paper Mario revealed for Wii U
90% sure this will happen
10. Super Smash Bros. for NX revealed, shows off 3DS content as well as Wolf, Paper Mario, and Dixie Kong
It'll come, but no dlc characters except for the scrapped Ice Climbers and the Inklings to market the popularity of Splatoon
11. Pokemon Z (or possibly a pair of games instead)
For sure

(outlandishness grows substantially from this point on)

12. Surprise Mario Kart 8 DLC announcements, introducing two final packs that include two guest characters (Kirby and Samus), two classics (Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong), and two new ones (*shrug* Captain Syrup and Dixie Kong?)
13. Major collaboration between Nintendo and Capcom (Nintendo X Capcom as the next big multi-player Wii U game?)
Metroid Prime: Federation Forces receives huge overhaul - models made more realistic, single-player is more akin to a proper Metroid Prime game with a proper, defined main character (maybe even Anthony Higgs). Samus is integral, but not the star.
14. HUGE Mario Maker DLC expansion to be rolled out until the end of 2016, featuring new themes, enemies, power-ups, functions, amiibo costumes, environmental objects, water/lava tiles - all for free. Leading into this is then...
15. Mario Maker 2 announced for the NX. BC with Mario Maker levels, and has tons of new additions, including a story mode, a world map system taken from Super Mario World, and game modes for Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, and their real big leap - Super Mario Galaxy, allowing for players to create 3D levels.
16. Nintendo announces that it has licensed Bomberman and will release a Bomberman game for 3DS, Wii U, and NX's eShops (with compatibility between all three).
17. Splatoon NX announced, featuring improvements to multi-player, but mostly focusing on improving local multi-player and creating a huge, robust single-player mode.

I hope I get at least a few right lol.

12-18 are big nopes lol.

evanmisha

...you guys realize Yo-kai Watch 2 is coming to NA next year, right? Like, it'd be a huge surprise to me if it wasn't happening. Work would've already had to have started on it before YW1 released and the merchandise train isn't slowing down. Second season anime announcement should be coming soon and the second last episode that aired contained YW2 content. Manga should be hitting YW2 content by May, too.

Oersted

Don't know if this was discussed in another thread but I found it interesting that there's still more support planned for the 3DS when the Wii U is suffering from software at the moment. According to the article:

As for what lies ahead in the next period, Kimishima said development on software continues, including large-scale titles that can’t be announced just yet. He believes that the 3DS will remain a big pillar in the next period.

which doesn't sound good for support for the Wii U since new software for the 3DS this year trumps the Wii U software output.

I did find it interesting that it states:

However, titles like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker have a favorable reputation, so Kimishima thinks Nintendo would like to be able to release titles that could receive the same sort of reputation in the next period as well.

Splatoon and Super Mario Maker are really online focused games could he be hinting at unnannounced Wii U titles or does he simply believe that the Wii U titles scheduled for this year can match the caliber of these titles?

Not quite sure if I can follow your story OP. Lets ignore for a second that you are getting redundant, you are basically ignoring that he says more games for WiiU.

It'll probably be Pokémon Z for the 3DS. And I don't see the point for more Wii U games like Splatoon & Super Mario Maker or more 3DS games with the NX Platform coming.

You are not running Nintendo.

Neoxon

1. Make Animal Crossing Wii U
2. Release Animal Crossing Wii U
3. Profit?
Any future Animal Crossing plans likely were transferred over to the NX Platform.

As for big unannounced 3DS games from Nintendo, all I'm expecting is Pokémon Z (although that's technically not from Nintendo). We'll probably get some localizations like Rhythm Heaven Plus, but that's it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if third parties ride the 3DS to the shore with the likes of Yokai Watch 2 & the Dragon Quest games. Stuff like Monster Hunter X's inevitable Ultimate version are likely to be moved to the NX Platform.

You are not running Nintendo.
I never said that I did, I'm just saying that it'd be unwise to use up big ideas on two platforms that are headed out the door. Not to mention that they can't really say "Hey, we're ditching the Wii U & the 3DS" to investors before revealing the NX Platform. In all likelihood, they're overestimating what's to come for both, much like what happened with the Game Boy Advance when the DS was on the horizon.

13(.5?) Federation Force may be overhauled, but it's still going to primarily be a multiplayer focused experience. Models are one thing, the game's entire concept is another.

I'm definitely not saying that multi-player will be nixed, but I think it'd be an even more interesting idea if they focused the campaign on Metroid-style stuff (exploring, finding secrets, etc.) and kind of doing a cooperative/competitive angle, where you can try to hog items for yourself, but risk ultimately being too limited from having only one strong team member, or try to balance and specialize each other for combat situations. Finding Energy Tanks and having players who tend to take more damage (either from inexperience or being more in the fray), that kind of stuff. Probably am expecting way too much out of the SP, but I think it's within reason (if only slightly).

KingBroly

Banned
I'm definitely not saying that multi-player will be nixed, but I think it'd be an even more interesting idea if they focused the campaign on Metroid-style stuff (exploring, finding secrets, etc.) and kind of doing a cooperative/competitive angle, where you can try to hog items for yourself, but risk ultimately being too limited from having only one strong team member, or try to balance and specialize each other for combat situations. Finding Energy Tanks and having players who tend to take more damage (either from inexperience or being more in the fray), that kind of stuff. Probably am expecting way too much out of the SP, but I think it's within reason (if only slightly).

Nintendo isn't one for overhauling games once they're revealed. At least to the extent people would be pleased with it.

Neoxon

3DS will be a plattform with a 60mil+X install base and will have guaranteed million sellers in 2016.

NX won't.

3DS will be a big pillar for Nintendo. And water will be wet.

Quote me on that.
Yet the 3DS is pushing 5 years old with little-to-no support from Nintendo's end. Most of what we're getting now is either in the form of lower-budget games, third party games, or (in the case of everyone outside of Japan) late localizations. Granted, we'll probably get an odd game or two announced for the platform, namely Pokémon Z. But if the NX Platform is indeed coming this year (& if the NX Handheld ends up being the first one out the door), it may explain why the 3DS's first party support from a developer standpoint is so dry. And yeah, I still stand by my prediction that MHXU may get moved to the NX Platform (if MHXU happens), kinda like how MH3U went to the Wii U & the 3DS. That being said, as stated before, I'm expecting the likes of Yokai Watch, Ace Attorney 6, & the Dragon Quest games to (again) ride the 3DS wave to the shore.

Oersted

Yet the 3DS is pushing 5 years old with little-to-no support from Nintendo's end. Most of what we're getting now is either in the form of lower-budget games, third party games, or (in the case of everyone outside of Japan) late localizations. Granted, we'll probably get an odd game or two announced for the platform, namely Pokémon Z. But if the NX Platform is indeed coming this year (& if the NX Handheld ends up being the first one out the door), it may explain why the 3DS's first party support from a developer standpoint is so dry. And yeah, I still stand by my prediction that MHXU may get moved to the NX Platform (if MHXU happens), kinda like how MH3U went to the Wii U & the 3DS. That being said, as stated before, I'm expecting the likes of Yokai Watch, Ace Attorney 6, & the Dragon Quest games to (again) ride the 3DS wave to the shore.

Calling a mainline Pokemon title a odd game. You cray.

And dude...

As for what lies ahead in the next period, Kimishima said development on software continues, including large-scale titles that can’t be announced just yet. He believes that the 3DS will remain a big pillar in the next period.

Nintendo develops games for 3DS. Get used to it.

Muzy72

Banned
Neoxon just has this ridiculous belief that literally everything on 3DS and Wii U should be cancelled and put on NX. He was even wishing FE Fates was an NX game FFS.

Outside Japan they can easily fill 2016 with localizations plus a couple ports/updates like Hyrule Warriors and Pokemon Z.

Hoping for retail Picross 3D 2 myself.

I think that the next Animal Crossing game will be:

1. NX exclusive, or
2. Cross-platform for NX and 3DS

I don't see any scenario where 3DS gets it as an exclusive. Firstly, a lot of people are fairly contented by the Animal Crossing game already on 3DS (discounting the VC from the first game, NL is my favourite in the series), so there's risk that a new Animal Crossing may not excite people to buy a replacement that is on the same console. It would also be the first time an Animal Crossing sequel was released on the same platform as another Animal Crossing game. Wii U is just entirely out, unless it's also cross-platform with NX. Console AC is like console Monster Hunter, but worse.

AC is simply too big a series to let be an end-of-gen game, mainly because of the fact that Nintendo is going to want to get yet another Animal Crossing game out for NX because they want to sell NXes. For me, there is no conceivable way for the next main Animal Crossing game to not be one of the NX's killer apps, maybe even at launch.

Champion

We seem to be getting close to a new hardware announcement so I am not expecting much in terms of quality or quantity when it comes to new software announcements for 3ds or Wiiu. Maybe 3rd party software for 3ds but definitely not 1st party.

Choomp

Banned
3DS to remain a large pillar? Wouldn't that throw all the "NX handheld releasing first" speculation out the window?

Actually, maybe. I mean, maybe they'll treat the whole NX situation like the home console for a little and still support the 3DS.

Oersted

We seem to be getting close to a new hardware announcement so I am not expecting much in terms of quality or quantity when it comes to new software announcements for 3ds or Wiiu. Maybe 3rd party software for 3ds but definitely not 1st party.

I will bite the bait. How are you so sure?

Banned
Something similar to splatoon and Mario maker in terms of online appeal and sales potential? Diddy Kong Racing 2? It'll have online for sure.

Champion

I will bite the bait. How are you so sure?

I would like to believe Nintendo is going to learn from past mistakes.

I doubt they want to go through another situation where they have to slash the price of their hardware early on, give out free games and apologize, or have their brand dragged through the mud for a year because they didn't have software ready for a new platform.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm surprised we haven't gotten another Racing game from Nintendo after all the success Mario Kart had. Excitebots had like no marketing and didn't even come out overseas.

Peru

It's great that these two arrived (on a struggling console no less) to show Nintendo (who now confirm they get the message) that strong, core gaming experiences move units. That they're fresh new concepts is a bonus, but the most important thing is that they're signal to to Nintendo to keep on making top tier content (and not listen to investors who only want mobile games or free to plays).

All I want is an Animal Crossing for WiiU.

...and a western releasedate for that FE crossover.

..........and a reason to keep my 3DS after I beat the new Fire Emblem.

jariw

Is he hinting at Star Fox Zero and Pokken Tournament?

No. Pokken Tournament isn't a Nintendo (where Nintendo would keep most of the revenues) title and it's releasing this fiscal year (the answer in the Q&A was about the next fiscal year). Star Fox Zero releases very early the next fiscal year, and it has nothing similar to the marketing campaigns that Mario Maker and Splatoon got.

Both Splatoon and Mario Maker now have the potential to reach 6+ million copies lifetime. I doubt any of the known or rumored Wii U releases would have that potential. If there's a title with the potential, that title isn't announced/known yet.

I'm still not certain that Pokémon Z is the slam-dunk certainty that some of you think it is. There's something screwy going on with that.

oti

Banned
3DS to remain a large pillar? Wouldn't that throw all the "NX handheld releasing first" speculation out the window?

What if NX only has one screen tho? I could see new 3DS games coming out then. Like, a new Professor Layton or something.

Kimishima saying all the right things. But talk is talk. Really hope to see something concrete from Nintendo soon.
This. I find that people often get overly excited after small comments like this and then nothing much comes out of them. It's just some reassuring comments from the president, I wouldn't make too much of them.

marmoka

Banned
Shit, I thought MM meant Majora's Mask. I was scared because I don't like that game. Thank god he's talking about Mario Maker.

Honestly, as a Wii U owner, I don't expect nothing new for the console. It's been a huge failure, and the people who did not buy it won't do it now. I would be glad if they saved all the megatons for NX. It's time to make a step forward.

And for 3DS, just bring us SMT IV Final to the rest of the world. I will be very happy with that.

jariw

Honestly, as a Wii U owner, I don't expect nothing new for the console. It's been a huge failure, and the people who did not buy it won't do it now.

What does new HW sales have to do with anything? Kimishima's reasoning for 3DS and Wii U software releases are to sell software, and he mentions the existing HW base for 3DS and the attach rate for Wii U as the reasons.

Regarding the Wii U titles, there's also the "satisfied Wii U customer" issue, which Iwata mentioned on recent investor meetings.

Top Bottom