• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Unannounced 3DS games coming, wants more Wii U titles like Splatoon and MM

He didn't say anything about the next Mario Maker/Splatoon being specifically on Wii U, did he? Sounded to me like he could just as well be referring to NX titles.

Neoxon

I could see the other way around being more likely. Mario Maker 3D. Splatoon 3D.
No point for those. Not only is the NX Platform incoming, but there's also the issue of the 3DS being too weak to handle those concepts.

-shadow-

No point for those. Not only is the NX Platform incoming, but there's also the issue of the 3DS being too weak to handle those concepts.
I'll give you Splatoon, especially with the terrible WiFi the system has. But Mario Maker?

Neoxon

I'll give you Splatoon, especially with the terrible WiFi the system has. But Mario Maker?
Namly Super Mario World & NSMBU. Plus the screens aren't exactly big enough to accommodate such a game. Maybe the 3DS could get a Level Player for SMB & SMB3 levels, but I doubt it would get the full SMM experience.

KingBroly

Banned
Namly Super Mario World & NSMBU. Plus the screens aren't exactly big enough to accommodate such a game. Maybe the 3DS could get a Level Player for SMB & SMB3 levels, but I doubt it would get the full SMM experience.

Reduced number of objects per level would be a big inhibitor for SMM.

Splatoon...well, good luck playing online with that on 3DS. Wii U needs like...600k upload or something for it for some reason.

-shadow-

Well there NSMB2 on the system that runs at 60fps, so not sure why that would be a problem. The smaller screen resolution I'll fully understand, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to do it.

Neoxon

Well there NSMB2 on the system that runs at 60fps, so not sure why that would be a problem. The smaller screen resolution I'll fully understand, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to do it.
But that would cut the 3DS version off from the Wii U community. And NSMB2 isn't NSMBU. Either way, it's too late for that since the NX Platform is incoming.

Simbabbad

Luigi's Mansion needs to be remade for Wii U way more than Kid Icarus. Luigi's Mansion isn't designed to be a handheld experience, both in terms of game design (no checkpoints) and in terms of control design.
Luigi's Mansion 2 is broken into tiny missions, it doesn't need checkpoints at all, the mission structure is the checkpoints.

georly

Remember how Nintendo DS was another pillar and it wouldn't cannibalize GBA?

Welp...

I still don't understand that logic when the DS had a BUILT-IN GBA SLOT.

Really looking forward to what nintendo has to bring this year, 2016 is a key year for them - either with releases or announcements of a solid future. Here's to "not repeating the wii u"!

Neoxon

I still don't understand that logic when the DS had a BUILT-IN GBA SLOT.

Really looking forward to what nintendo has to bring this year, 2016 is a key year for them - either with releases or announcements of a solid future. Here's to "not repeating the wii u"!
Backwards compatibility

bman94

So... Pokemon Snap U?

Please?

Makes too much sense for Nintendo.

It'll probably be Pokémon Z for the 3DS. And I don't see the point for more Wii U games like Splatoon & Super Mario Maker or more 3DS games with the NX Platform coming.

Pokemon Z is almost a given by now. There's no Wii U games after the second quarter, Nintendo needs something to fill in the gap.

Pokémon Z and some 3DS to Wii U ports. Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, and/or ALBW.

I would love a HD Kid Icarus: Uprising Wii U port.

i don't know much about Kimishima and it's way too early to past any judgement. i also think no one can fill Iwata's shoes. With that said, i think his playing it right.

There's no point in deverting attention when you still have some key software in coming for your cuarrent devices.

It is a shame Iwata felt pressure and had to talk about their upcoming successive platform, as people focused too much on the NX withouth knowing much and often times ignoring quality titles that are been released on both the 3DS and Wii U.

NO point in rush things... take your time.

I agree, make sure everything is in line before the NX reveal so it's clear what it is and how it's different from the Wii U and 3DS.

I think he means games that build communities and are relevant long past launch. Stuff like Yoshi's Woolly World are almost forgotten by now, instead it's those that people keep returning to.

Yes we will still get Pikmin, Mario and Zelda but I think the single player campaign games will slowly get phased out in favor of online/social experiences and games that never 'end' like Tomodachi Life. On NX we'll probably see less Star Fox, Rainbow Paintbrush, Tropical Freeze and more games as services.

I really hope this isn't the case. Nintendo has some of the best single player campaigns of all times, I don't want them to go away just because they finally discovered online gaming.

I think that the next Animal Crossing game will be:

1. NX exclusive, or
2. Cross-platform for NX and 3DS

I don't see any scenario where 3DS gets it as an exclusive. Firstly, a lot of people are fairly contented by the Animal Crossing game already on 3DS (discounting the VC from the first game, NL is my favourite in the series), so there's risk that a new Animal Crossing may not excite people to buy a replacement that is on the same console. It would also be the first time an Animal Crossing sequel was released on the same platform as another Animal Crossing game. Wii U is just entirely out, unless it's also cross-platform with NX. Console AC is like console Monster Hunter, but worse.

AC is simply too big a series to let be an end-of-gen game, mainly because of the fact that Nintendo is going to want to get yet another Animal Crossing game out for NX because they want to sell NXes. For me, there is no conceivable way for the next main Animal Crossing game to not be one of the NX's killer apps, maybe even at launch.

I can see a new Animal Crossing game around 2017 since they just finished up Splatoon. New Leaf was a huge success for Nintendo and if they want to move some consoles they would want this early in the NX life.

Sterok

Where do people get the idea there are going to be 3DS to Wii U ports? The only notable multiplatform games between the two were either planned from the start or went from Wii U to 3DS.

jariw

Where do people get the idea there are going to be 3DS to Wii U ports? The only notable multiplatform games between the two were either planned from the start or went from Wii U to 3DS.

Which games went from Wii U to 3DS? NES Remix?

People are just unimaginative. Nintendo does a couple of ports they think every single game they make is going to be ported and guessing ideas for new games is hard. It's no wonder Nintendo tends to take us by surprise when they announce anything remotely unexpected like Hyrule Warriors or Splatoon.

bman94

People are just unimaginative. Nintendo does a couple of ports they think every single game they make is going to be ported and guessing ideas for new games is hard. It's no wonder Nintendo tends to take us by surprise when they announce anything remotely unexpected like Hyrule Warriors or Splatoon.

I don't see the problem with a few ports for the Wii U especially when its library is as small as it is. And some 3DS games could be enhanced when ported to the Wii U. Kid Icarus: Uprising with Wii pointer controls would be perfect and the game would look fantastic in HD since it was already visually stunning on the restrictions of the 3DS.

It's not surprising he hopes for other titles to become as successful as SMM and Splatoon considering their sales.
More big unannounced titles are nice but they should really focus on NX now. You don't want a barren launch year again.

The devs themselves were asked about Splatoon 3DS

Could the series ever work on the 3DS? Do you have any plans or hopes to make a handheld version perhaps similar to what Nintendo did with Super Smash Bros?

Amano: With the splattering of ink, which is definitely key to the game, this is something we spent a lot of time on getting the feel and the look of exactly like we wanted. I think that's something that would be quite difficult to realize on the 3DS considering its limitations.

Gotta wait till the NX for Splatoon 2

Scrawnton

What if NX truly is a third pillar and isn't sent to take away from Wii U or 3ds? We still really don't know what it is at all.

bman94

It's not surprising he hopes for other titles to become as successful as SMM and Splatoon considering their sales.
More big unannounced titles are nice but they should really focus on NX now. You don't want a barren launch year again.

The devs themselves were asked about Splatoon 3DS

Could the series ever work on the 3DS? Do you have any plans or hopes to make a handheld version perhaps similar to what Nintendo did with Super Smash Bros?

Amano: With the splattering of ink, which is definitely key to the game, this is something we spent a lot of time on getting the feel and the look of exactly like we wanted. I think that's something that would be quite difficult to realize on the 3DS considering its limitations.

Gotta wait till the NX for Splatoon 2

Call me crazy, but I think the Splatoon IP would be great for a 2D run and gun spin-off similar to Metal Slug. That would be perfect for 3DS.

Yes we will still get Pikmin, Mario and Zelda but I think the single player campaign games will slowly get phased out in favor of online/social experiences and games that never 'end' like Tomodachi Life. On NX we'll probably see less Star Fox, Rainbow Paintbrush, Tropical Freeze and more games as services.

That would explain the rumors of a Smash NX at launch; of their current software, that's the one that would lend itself to the service model the easiest.

Splatoon and SMM too, but those will get proper sequels.

Neoxon

What if NX truly is a third pillar and isn't sent to take away from Wii U or 3ds? We still really don't know what it is at all.
The 3DS is starting to die down & the Wii U is on its last legs. Both need successors soon.

That would explain the rumors of a Smash NX at launch; of their current software, that's the one that would lend itself to the service model the easiest.

This

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It'll probably be Pokémon Z for the 3DS. And I don't see the point for more Wii U games like Splatoon & Super Mario Maker or more 3DS games with the NX Platform coming.

Day after day the chance of a 2017 release at least for the home is always more possible

AdanVC

Nintendo can barely support two products at the same time, it's pretty unreal to think they will have now a third one to support. It could happen but either Wii U, 3DS or even the actual NX platform will have to suffer with long ass game droughts and stuff.

NX will definitely succeed either 3DS or Wii U. Or both.

On NX we'll probably see less Star Fox, Rainbow Paintbrush, Tropical Freeze and more games as services.

Oh god, I've never hoped anything is quite as wrong as this is.

I like buying a game at RRP and expecting to have the game there and then.

Splatoon kinda got away with it because it cost me roughly half uk RRP at launch in the first place, but still...

Diffense

I keep thinking that they probably won't officially end the Wii U right as NX releases even though Wii U will not be getting much in the way of retail releases. However, Wii U might receive an update with a subset of the necessary APIs (software functions) NX titles expect so that they can also be built for Wii U. This will allow Wii U to get versions of new titles when there's no performance or hardware barrier to that.

Assuming, for example, that Miitomo will not be smartphone only but will also be available on dedicated NX hardware, I could see Wii U getting a version too. After all, it seems related to their new account system and there are 13 million (?) Wii U owners out there that they'll want to snare to get to that 100 million target. Furthermore, Wii U has a touchscreen and Miitomo is not going to the taxing the hardware. I think independent developers could also have the option to release new games on Wii U using the same development process as for the NX. This is my understanding of what Iwata meant when he implied that Wii U will be integrated into the nX framework.

Xun

I keep thinking that they probably won't officially end the Wii U right as NX releases even though Wii U will not be getting much in the way of retail releases. However, Wii U might receive an update with a subset of the necessary APIs (software functions) NX titles expect so that they can also be built for Wii U. This will allow Wii U to get versions of new titles when there's no performance or hardware barrier to that.

Assuming, for example, that Miitomo will not be smartphone only but will also be available on dedicated NX hardware, I could see Wii U getting a version too. After all, it seems related to their new account system and there are 13 million (?) Wii U owners out there that they'll want to snare to get to that 100 million target. Furthermore, Wii U has a touchscreen and Miitomo is not going to the taxing the hardware. I think independent developers could also have the option to release new games on Wii U using the same development process as for the NX. This is my understanding of what Iwata meant when he implied that Wii U will be integrated into the nX framework.
I'd certainly like this, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It would be fantastic if a few NX games also released on the Wii U.

I don't see the problem with a few ports for the Wii U especially when its library is as small as it is. And some 3DS games could be enhanced when ported to the Wii U. Kid Icarus: Uprising with Wii pointer controls would be perfect and the game would look fantastic in HD since it was already visually stunning on the restrictions of the 3DS.

Yeah but that's all that people are expecting from Nintendo.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Of course, but I'd be shocked if we don't get any NX devices this year.

Portable in japan is a lock imho
But Kimishima statement isn't against this. Pokémon Z could be 3ds exclusive even if nx portable will be released and MHX ultimate could be cross gen and so on

Luigi's Mansion 2 is broken into tiny missions, it doesn't need checkpoints at all, the mission structure is the checkpoints.

Each mission needed to have checkpoints, it's a handheld game. It's incredibly tiresome to be in the middle of a mission, get stuck, and then if you want to play something else, either lose your progress or just keep playing.

Each mission needed to have checkpoints, it's a handheld game. It's incredibly tiresome to be in the middle of a mission, get stuck, and then if you want to play something else, either lose your progress or just keep playing.
The missions last 15-20 minutes max. Are we really complaining that we'll have to spend 10 more minutes to complete a mission because we lacked the foresight to see we would be bored of the game 10 minutes later?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
3DS not finished?!

Okays then one of these unannounced games needs ta be a new experimental Kirby game, and another has ta be WarioWare!

It really seems like Nintendo's big games were just released on Wii U like yesterday. Zelda isn't even out on the system yet.

It makes much more sense to replace 3DS before Wii U. The hilarious part is that there is still so much to play on 3DS even though its evergreen titles have been out for a while.

I think he means games that build communities and are relevant long past launch. Stuff like Yoshi's Woolly World are almost forgotten by now, instead it's those that people keep returning to.

I disagree. I don't see Nintendo transitioning away from single player experiences. If the NX does have a shared library similar in execution to iOS and Android, then that should significantly reduce the pressure on Nintendo's development teams to allow them to pursue both single player and social/online games. I could see the success of Splatoon and Mario Maker affecting some of their franchises such as Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

For Mario Kart, I could see them try to work on building features and ways to strengthen the community aspect like Splatoon and MM do. I could see some free DLC like new characters/karts occasionally released, mission mode returns and updates with a new mission each week, Special tournaments, etc. Then 6-9 months after release I could see them start to offer DLC packs similar to the ones offered in MK8.

For Smash Bros., I could see them take a different route. I think Smash Bros NX will likely be a 4 remaster/complete edition. Post release they could continue to offer support by doing things such as DLC characters, DLC Stages, Single player modes, a 15 hour adventure mode released in 3 episodes, etc.

I do think we could see a lot of the teams that were working on the Wii Sports/ Wii Fit/ Nintendoland type of titles moving to try more online and social titles. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii Sports/Nintendoland team's launch title for NX is some sort of Minecraft inspired game where you can build and create your own Nintendo World. Have it compatible with all Amiibos and have them unlock special content to further customize your Nintendo World. Throw in heavy integration with Miiverse and Online features.

Pokemon Z is almost a given by now. There's no Wii U games after the second quarter, Nintendo needs something to fill in the gap.

I can see a new Animal Crossing game around 2017 since they just finished up Splatoon. New Leaf was a huge success for Nintendo and if they want to move some consoles they would want this early in the NX life.
While I think Pokémon Z is a given, I'm starting to think something may be different than we're expecting with this title. The anime always follows and launches their new seasons when a new mainline title releases but they have already been airing the Z season since Fall 2015. It seems odd that we still haven't heard a word about it given it will probably release sometime this year.

As for Animal Crossing in 2017, who knows. It depends on what Nintendo wants more the next Animal Crossing or the next Splatoon. The AC team just finished developing Splatoon, AC:HHD and AC:AF in 2015. Although with their core software studios all merging under one rood, I suppose they could take staff from other teams to help work on Splatoon and Animal Crossing since both franchises are pretty important to Nintendo.

I could see this as a possibility as well.

Oersted

That does not explain it.

Smash for NX is a credible rumor.

More games as services is Ansatz talking out of his ass.

A credible rumor and Ansatz talking out of his ass are not related to each other.

jariw

More games as services is Ansatz talking out of his ass.

I think it's very likely that there will be more games as services:
* MK8 was one-year long.
* Smash was a one-year+ long.
* Splatoon was half a year, with rumors on more.
* Mario Maker is still ongoing.

Iwata also mentioned on a past investor meeting, that the likeliness of a future purchase on a platform is related to how much time the player recently spent on the platform. So, yes, more games as services are very likely.

Oersted

I think it's very likely that there will be more games as services:
* MK8 was one-year long.
* Smash was a one-year+ long.
* Splatoon was half a year, with rumors on more.
* Mario Maker is still ongoing.

Iwata also mentioned on a past investor meeting, that the likeliness of a future purchase on a platform is related to how much time the player recently spent on the platform. So, yes, more games as services are very likely.

All these games are not services.

Top Bottom