• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

I love all this stuff. The GDC livestream was utterly superb. So happy.

I just wish Greg and Colin would do a Beyond style show, every Tuesday. Greg should host, no offence to Tim, he's good in his own way - but I came along with Kinda Funny, becuase I couldn't live without those guys on Beyond. Tim should be the third chair, but Greg should host.

Also, as much as I love live content, and the GDC stuff was amazing. I do think all of them feel (and come across) less pressured when it's not live, and I like the relaxed nature of a podcast that can be edited.

I dunno. Please don't take this as negativity, I am just missing Beyond more than I expected and it was an amazing structure that doesn't exist anymore.

Colin and Greg Live is super as well. I love that.

I agree with you, honestly. It's killing me that I can't listen to their stuff easily anymore. I spend 2-3 hours per day in the car and I'm constantly listening to podcasts. Tuesday night or Wednesday morning when Beyond was ready to go was always my favorite car ride.

Kinda Funny Gamescast is good and I don't mind Tim hosting, he's still settling into the role and doing a fine job...but there are times when the topics are as much as 10 days old by the time the podcast hits iTunes. I really hope they figure out something where they can get some sponsors to support the iTunes version with ad-reads and then put the podcast up right away. I also hope they start putting up C&G Live audio to iTunes the day after it airs on Twitch, but I'm not sure how that would impact them financially, which is obviously a much greater concern now.

It's not that I don't want the content...it's just that it's not easy anymore, which is frustrating.

Volume looks really cool.

Agreed. I'll definitely be checking it out when it launches.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I mostly consume Kinda Funny via YouTube.

I like the way Tim hosts. I just want more Nick Scarpino. And more UK biscuit reviews!

Best content I can find tbh. I love all of the stuff they do.

So I guess that guest streamer thing didn't happen. She was supposed to do it today and possibly tomorrow.

Edit- Found it. It was a link within the Kinda Funny Twitch page. http://www.twitch.tv/hellogamergirl/v/3866059

Edit 2- It won't play. It looks like the audio was flagged for copyright stuff, so it is muted. As a result, you get that warning and the video just simply ends.

Holy shit this backyard wrestling story from Gameovergreggy show ep 65 is slaying me.

I really hope this video release and reunion match comes to fruition. MAKE IT HAPPEN NICK

a916

I just wish Greg and Colin would do a Beyond style show, every Tuesday. Greg should host, no offence to Tim, he's good in his own way - but I came along with Kinda Funny, becuase I couldn't live without those guys on Beyond. Tim should be the third chair, but Greg should host.

To be honest, I want Tim to host... only because it frees up Greg to just let loose and be himself. When he became the host he refined himself and got quieter (which he himself admitted on a few episodes of Beyond to after Roper left). Doing it this way, let's Greg be Greg which I believe is awesome.

PieBlaCon

Neo Member

Do people think Greg was the great host he is now right off the bat? Everyone starts somewhere. I quite like having Tim host and he's only going to get better. He's only been doing this for <10 episodes. Give him a chance. I like that Colin and Greg are done with Beyond! That show had its run and now they are doing something new.

Do people think Greg was the great host he is now right off the bat? Everyone starts somewhere. I quite like having Tim host and he's only going to get better. He's only been doing this for <10 episodes. Give him a chance. I like that Colin and Greg are done with Beyond! That show had its run and now they are doing something new.

I like Tim hosting too. I like the show being centered by the more chill tone he has, and then Greg is free to go crazy whenever he wants and Colin can still go off on his rants. All 3 of them balance each other out nicely.

And yeah, Greg has years of hosting/video experience, Tim will only get more comfortable and better as time goes on. It can take a while to figure out what works for you personally. Colin mentioned on the latest GOG show that he tried to emulate Greg at first on camera but eventually found his own style that worked for him.

Myggen

Do we know if they'll upload the GDC streams in some way to Youtube (sorry if they've already done that, I didn't find anything on their channel) or by searching? I'm interested in watching some of the archive, but for some reason I'm not able to watch Twitch's VoDs (just buffering for days).

Do we know if they'll upload the GDC streams in some way to Youtube (sorry if they've already done that, I didn't find anything on their channel) or by searching? I'm interested in watching some of the archive, but for some reason I'm not able to watch Twitch's VoDs (just buffering for days).

Edit- Whoops. For some reason, I read it as PAX. No, the GDC streams are only on Twitch. They had said in the past that they don't want to upload the Twitch stuff to YouTube so our subscription feed doesn't get spammed by their stuff. I wish someone would make an unofficial Kinda Funny channel like that Giant Bomb Unarchived channel that backs up Twitch live streams that Giant Bomb doesn't.

Edit 2- I just found this. http://twitchtools.com/video-download It allows you to download Twitch videos to watch offline.

Myggen

Edit- Whoops. For some reason, I read it as PAX. No, the GDC streams are only on Twitch. They had said in the past that they don't want to upload the Twitch stuff to YouTube so our subscription feed doesn't get spammed by their stuff. I wish someone would make an unofficial Kinda Funny channel like that Giant Bomb Unarchived channel that backs up Twitch live streams that Giant Bomb doesn't.

Edit 2- I just found this. http://twitchtools.com/video-download It allows you to download Twitch videos to watch offline.

Thanks! Yeah, especially with how Twitch VoDs now dissapears after a while, that would be cool.

What would you guys think if I set up a custom Youtube channel to rehost their Twitch videos? I could make it private and share it out with anyone in here who wants it.

That should also avoid offending the KF guys, I don't see them having an issue with that if it's just for our small group in this thread. Most of us are active supporters of their brand anyway

Myggen

What would you guys think if I set up a custom Youtube channel to rehost their Twitch videos? I could make it private and share it out with anyone in here who wants it.

That should also avoid offending the KF guys, I don't see them having an issue with that if it's just for our small group in this thread.

Well, as long as they don't upload the Twitch archives to YT, I don't really see how they would have a problem with an unofficial YT channel rehosting that stuff to YT. It's the best way to actually preserve it, with Twitch's policy being that VoDs go away after some time.

Some people in the Giant Bomb GAF thread started a YT channel when Twitch announced that new policy, which a handful of us have access to and upload everything to that GB didn't archive in the past and going forward. They've never had a problem with it (they even promoted it on a Bombcast episode), and I'm guessing the same goes for the Kinda Funny guys.

Well, as long as they don't upload the Twitch archives to YT, I don't really see how they would have a problem with an unofficial YT channel rehosting that stuff to YT. It's the best way to actually preserve it, with Twitch's policy being that VoDs go away after some time.

Some people in the Giant Bomb GAF thread started a YT channel when Twitch announced that new policy, which a handful of us have access to and upload everything to that GB didn't archive in the past and going forward. They've never had a problem with it, and I'm guessing the same goes for the Kinda Funny guys.

It's awesome. Everyone should get the chance to watch Alex and Vinny ATTEMPT to build a PC.

That should also avoid offending the KF guys, I don't see them having an issue with that if it's just for our small group in this thread. Most of us are active supporters of their brand anyway

That would be awesome! Because as Myggen said, those videos will be lost forever if they are not truly archived. I don't remember how long they last on Twitch (I think it's 3 or 6 months).

Edit- Whoops! Double-post.

That would be awesome! Because as Myggen said, those videos will be lost forever if they are not truly archived. I don't remember how long they last on Twitch (I think it's 3 or 6 months).

Edit- Whoops! Double-post.

Cool. I will try to get it set up this weekend. Not going to go to the effort of uploading everything, but I'll try to get the GDC stuff up and then the normal C&G live shows moving forward

Cool. I will try to get it set up this weekend. Not going to go to the effort of uploading everything, but I'll try to get the GDC stuff up and then the normal C&G live shows moving forward

It looks the the earliest stuff is already gone :( The first episode of Colin and Greg Live is no more it seems. The most recent stuff is from January 6th. All Twitch videos from January 5th are just gone.

Edit- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN5yxKhDq64 The first episode of Colin and Greg Live is on YouTube already! I completely forgot they used to start the show with some random gameplay.

Someone created this official looking channel, but made all the videos private for some reason. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFhsV_k0g9Vi1YxYLJq5rrA

Edit 2- Looking at the comments some commenter made a big stink about it and tattled to Greg.

J1IeNHA.png

Perhaps it would not be in your best interest to take on a task like this if A: Commenters like that Frank guy will make a big stink about it and B: Greg is not okay with it.

It looks the the earliest stuff is already gone :( The first episode of Colin and Greg Live is no more it seems. The most recent stuff is from January 6th. All Twitch videos from January 5th are just gone.

Edit- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN5yxKhDq64 The first episode of Colin and Greg Live is on YouTube already! I completely forgot they used to start the show with some random gameplay.

Someone created this official looking channel, but made all the videos private for some reason. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFhsV_k0g9Vi1YxYLJq5rrA

Edit 2- Looking at the comments some commenter made a big stink about it and tattled to Greg.

J1IeNHA.png

Perhaps it would not be in your best interest to take on a task like this if A: Commenters like that Frank guy will make a big stink about it and B: Greg is not okay with it.

Hmmm I don't know what the situation is there. I'll see what happens, Colin and Greg read this thread too so hopefully they can reach out if they have a problem with what I'm doing or provide alternate suggestions.

I can't imagine they'd have issue with their content being more accessible, maybe there's a workaround that will satisfy everyone.

What if I created Colin and Greg Live MP3s? Is there any demand for that?

Hmmm I don't know what the situation is there. I'll see what happens, Colin and Greg read this thread too so hopefully they can reach out if they have a problem with what I'm doing or provide alternate suggestions.

I can't imagine they'd have issue with their content being more accessible, maybe there's a workaround that will satisfy everyone.

What if I created Colin and Greg Live MP3s? Is there any demand for that?

It's a shame that Twitch can't archive those videos forever. I don't think it's a coincidence that yesterday was the 5th and the videos from January 5th are gone. I think the archive period is actually 2 months, going by this. From this point on, I think videos will now disappear daily unless backed up. So Tomorrow, on March 7th, the videos from January 7th will be the most recent things in the Past Broadcasts area unfortunately and the videos from January 6th will be gone forever.

Myggen

Maybe try that email? Or reach out to Greg on Twitter?

Like, the Twitch archives will literally disappear if they're not archived somewhere. Youtube is by far the best place for that. As long as you make sure that the name of the channel doesn't sound official ("Kinda Funny Unofficial" or something) I can't see why they would have any problem with people actually preserving their content.

N° 2048

Guys, Greg said he has all the Twitch streams backed up on YouTube but set to private. He said this on one of the Colin and Greg live shows.

Maybe try that email? Or reach out to Greg on Twitter?

Like, the Twitch archives will literally disappear if they're not archived somewhere. Youtube is by far the best place for that. As long as you make sure that the name of the channel doesn't sound official ("Kinda Funny Unofficial" or something) I can't see why they would have any problem with people actually preserving their content.

They're disappearing now. I think it started yesterday. Had that Frank guy not brought it up with Greg, that channel would be up to date. There are only 7 videos (all set to private).

It's a shame that Twitch can't archive those videos forever. I don't think it's a coincidence that yesterday was the 5th and the videos from January 5th are gone. I think the archive period is actually 2 months, going by this. From this point on, I think videos will now disappear daily unless backed up. So Tomorrow, on March 7th, the videos from January 7th will be the most recent things in the Past Broadcasts area unfortunately and the videos from January 6th will be gone forever.

Yeah that's how Twitch works. If they created highlights for each episode though they should remain permanently.

Yeah that's how Twitch works. If they created highlights for each episode though they should remain permanently.

The most recent highlight is from January 30th. So everything from the 5th to the 29th will be gone forever by the end of this month. I do Greg is indeed backing that stuff up. It's good stuff to have. It's good for aspiring streamers to see the beginnings of something, especially if Kinda Funny gets really big.

N° 2048

Did he say if he would ever make them available to the public?

He wasn't sure but I clearly remember because the chat was on fire about Twitch's 60day limit for archiving. We should double check with him or Colin though to make sure
Kevin
is backing them up :p

Portugeezer

I would be surprised if they are not backing them up locally, but maybe they really just don't care.

The first episode means something.

Where can I watch it?

It should be on the PAX 2 channel on Twitch. I think they just have one giant stream for the day, so it could take time to find (it happened at 9 PM). I'm sure Giant Bomb will have it broken out for viewing at some point. He shows up at the veeerrry end. It's all to hype up the wrestling tournament on Sunday.

SlyQuaker

Banned
My god, Greg cutting that promo was fucking fantastic. This just reinforces that the backyard wrestling tapes/reunion needs to happen.

I agree with you, honestly. It's killing me that I can't listen to their stuff easily anymore. I spend 2-3 hours per day in the car and I'm constantly listening to podcasts. Tuesday night or Wednesday morning when Beyond was ready to go was always my favorite car ride.

Kinda Funny Gamescast is good and I don't mind Tim hosting, he's still settling into the role and doing a fine job...but there are times when the topics are as much as 10 days old by the time the podcast hits iTunes. I really hope they figure out something where they can get some sponsors to support the iTunes version with ad-reads and then put the podcast up right away. I also hope they start putting up C&G Live audio to iTunes the day after it airs on Twitch, but I'm not sure how that would impact them financially, which is obviously a much greater concern now.

It's not that I don't want the content...it's just that it's not easy anymore, which is frustrating.

Absolutely. The content is amazing, it's just not easy to get it anymore. And that's not fun.

Like anyone here (I imagine), I have been listening to the show since the early days. I feel like I started on 15 or something. It wasn't a great podcast back then. And Greg was most certainly not a good podcast presence. So I am happy for Tim to host things, and ofcourse it will take him some time to find his voice. But I don't agree the Beyond format had it's time, and we need to move on, and I don't agree wanting the Beyond format back is at odds with giving Tim a chance.

I would like both, for Tim to get that opportunity and grow, and for there to still be the Beyond format.

cyborg009

Banned
Does Kinda Funny crew take topics from here on Gaf? I wanted to ask about their opinion on interesting healing items in games. And for the The GameOverGreggy Show what do they think about prenups.

N° 2048

Does Kinda Funny crew take topics from here on Gaf? I wanted to ask about their opinion on interesting healing items in games. And for the The GameOverGreggy Show what do they think about prenups.

Your Topic on the Kinda Funny Gamescast
What video game-related topic are you dying to see the Gamescast tackle? Back us at this level, and you'll get to tell us what to talk about. (Within reason.) Plus, you get all the perks before this one.
Limited 2 remaining out of 4

To guarantee your topic you need to donate $50 or more to their Patreon.

I can't remember if they did this as a topic already, but if not, I hope they do a topic on The Game Over Greggy Show regarding Daylight Saving Time, which if you are unaware starts tomorrow at 2:00 AM. Remember it's spring ahead. In other words, at 1:59, instead of the clock turning to 2:00 AM it turns to 3:00 AM. BOO! I hate lost sleep!

Karu

Ah ok, I remembered that they took a topic off of here from shinboi.
Yes, that can happen. For example, Nick does choose a topic on the GoG-show, that was suggested to him via Twitter without anyone having payed a dime. So, you can definitely try your luck. With the money you're just guaranted to be chosen.

I can't remember if they did this as a topic already, but if not, I hope they do a topic on The Game Over Greggy Show regarding Daylight Saving Time, which if you are unaware starts tomorrow at 2:00 AM. Remember it's spring ahead. In other words, at 1:59, instead of the clock turning to 2:00 AM it turns to 3:00 AM. BOO! I hate lost sleep!

DST is the worst. The mornings are already a struggle for me and now I have to wake up an hour earlier

Takes forever for my body to adjust

DST is the worst. The mornings are already a struggle for me and now I have to wake up an hour earlier

Takes forever for my body to adjust

I would love to hear Colin's take on it (if he hasn't done so already). I went to bed an hour earlier than usual so I wouldn't need that adjustment.

Myggen

The PAXMANIA panel earlier today, where Greg had a prominent role as "the commissioner" will be available here in a few minutes, if anyone's interested.

Top Bottom