• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
This is an odd request but can someone link me to a good video of Greg Miller making fun of the crane scene in the Amazing Spiderman? He does a funny impression of what the crane workers might've been saying in that final scene.

I don't know why but Colin and Greg playing naive to 420 was hilarious to me.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was all an act. I mean, IGN did a feature today about the best games to play on "420". I'm pretty sure they did similar features in the past years while Greg and Colin were still there. Maybe they just did not want to acknowledge it, as it is pretty dumb stuff. Or maybe the didn't have a clue. I don't know.

Man, I'm so glad my neighborhood garbage collection sorts through our waste for recycling for us. It's nice to have that out of sight, out of mind.

Lorne also had some really good insight into the matter. It's neat to see him mostly play backseat to the boys' shenanigans and then kick in with some wisdom when need be.

Man, I'm so glad my neighborhood garbage collection sorts through our waste for recycling for us. It's nice to have that out of sight, out of mind.

Lorne also had some really good insight into the matter. It's neat to see him mostly play backseat to the boys' shenanigans and then kick in with some wisdom when need be.

It would've been great if Colin was there for this episode.

Myggen

You guys are too nice. I'm used to the Giant Bomb thread where people would've crucified anyone in the crew if they said something like what Tim said on that GOGS, haha.

I didn't think it was a very big deal, for the record.

You guys are too nice. I'm used to the Giant Bomb thread where people would've crucified anyone in the crew if they said something like what Tim said on that GOGS, haha.

Well, I happen to agree with Tim for the most part, though I recognize that my personal fortune and family's affluence are strong biases in this case.

Karu

I think he definitely deserves the flak to be honest. It was/is beyond ignorant. But in a "I hope he sees what he said in retrospect and learns" rather than "Burn him!". The latter being tiring and helping no one.

The new Gamecast about Story was interesting & one of the most important discussions in terms of what games are and will be going forward. But the talk about movies, which are supposed to be inferior to games, really urked me in certain ways. Saying movies are one-dimensional - even though Colin said he didn't mean it as an insult - is just wrong, especially if you look at the years and years of analysis and academic research plus the plethora of styles/genres/stories that are represented and/or were birthed in the medium movie. And true, games probably will evolve over time, but making such broad statements on basic speculation is weird.

Two other things:

1.) It is true that you can explore game environments in some games to a ridiclious amount and that's fantastic. One of the few true fascinating features of the medium game, but to say this doesn't happen in movies is a disservice to the people and directors creating and building backgrounds/requisites/cloth of the actors etc. Sure, Colin says "you can stop the frame and say: oh look at the background", but that's the same as looking at a furniture in The Order or some such. The fact that you interact with it (And even that is questionable because you basically look at it, just up close) is NOT inherently the "better" experience.

2.) Colin talks about player agency as in choosing the following story path. I agree with him, that it's overdone (Becaue most games bascially fuck it up. I have yet to see a convincing game that does it to the extent it proclaims to do), Player agency as in "I walk this way to kill enemy X" or "get over ledge y this way" IS the true gem of videogames, though. This is just a semantic problem, I had, because we agree on this.

All in all, while I have certain problems how Colin differentiates between movies and games, it's true that games are special in their own right. It will be really interesting where we are in 50 years and how we look at the early 90s, 00' and 10' and which games will be considered the masterpieces that define the early goings of gaming story telling & world building.

Another thing:
Pacing in games is a very different beast from movie pacing, because - at least in open world games that give the player a huge amount of controll over what the y do, the pacing is almost completely player driven. To some it might be an advantage, but because those games especially are so huge, it can fuck up the whole experience, which at first really annoyed me (Hello, Dragon Age: Inquisition!) . I feel like the player has to have a sense and sophistication of the genres history/game structure and so forth to experience such games in a well-paced manner (story wise). (CoD is another matter. sure, the player could just stop and look around, but since the scene only really moves when you do, it' nonsensical to do just that.) In that sense you truly have to view games as their own, but from a strictly narrative-side of things, it is questionable whether or not "open world" games can ever achieve true narrative genius.

Also: The "There is place for every game/style"-like argument is tiring and needs to stop. Either you wanna have a discussion or not. Just because there are indeed certain types of games/movies so on, doesn't make an attempt at criticsm "pretentious".

Well, that was long post, indeed. :D Hope my ramblings and my english are forgiven. ;-)

mdubs

Banned
I watched Recycling discussion, pretty funny. Didn't see anything wrong with Tim, still hilarious as ever. Youtube commenters need to chill out a bit

Totally forgot that we had a community thread I love Greg and Collin.

Todays live stream was so much fun!

CDTPYLGVIAA7Jri.jpg:large

One of the best episodes they ever did.

Oh my god I always wondered why there wasn't a Kinda Funny thread, but I guess I was just looking in the wrong place. Love these guys.

MattyG

Banned
I hope we get a Reacts video on the new Joker. I want to know Greg's take on it (though based on one tweet from him I saw, I have a feeling I know how the conversation will go).

Macadinho

Banned
Never knew there was a GAF thread on this, just skimmed through it there but awesome work Matty for keeping it updated every day.

Tim Schafer is probably my favorite industry personality, and I got to finish Act 2 this evening, which I absolutely recommend! I wish he had gotten to talk a little more about the game and events surrounding it. He looked exhausted, drained mentally if not also physically. It was interesting to hear his thoughts on Metacritic, too.

MattyG

Banned
Hey, I posted that weeks ago!
Apparently I somehow completely missed it when you posted it! I wish I'd seen it sooner, because it was hilarious.

They also mentioned it on KFGC yesterday. That's what got me to go back and watch it. I think I'm going to try to start doing "ICYMI" posts for past videos they reference.

Apparently I somehow completely missed it when you posted it! I wish I'd seen it sooner, because it was hilarious.

They also mentioned it on KFGC yesterday. That's what got me to go back and watch it. I think I'm going to try to start doing "ICYMI" posts for past videos they reference.

I think it got overlooked by many because it was posted on April Fools Day.

Also, I think you may have missed Nick's Hot Pepper Gaming review of Axiom Verge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciwKGnKk0nw

Sorry for the double post, but they are telling us to come back to Twitch at 2:00 PM (Pacific)/5:00 PM (Eastern). They won't say why, though. Something secret. Something special.

Ohhhhh interesting.

Quite. Probably nothing too exciting.

Edit- Okay, maybe there is something big. Over at GameSpot, they do a weekly show called The Lobby. It typically airs at the same time the Kinda Funny thing is happening. The description of the episode is:

This week on The Lobby we talk to Tim Schafer about Broken Age 2 and Rob and Chris tell us about their time with COD: Black Ops 3. Plus, we have a super secret special announcement. Tune in live at 2PM Pacific to find out more.

That can't be a coincidence. Can it? Something game related? A Kinda Funny/GameSpot/Giant Bomb partnership (which would be kinda awkward considering Kinda Funny's IGN roots)? What is it!? Guess away!

MattyG

Banned
If multiple sites are doing it, I've got to imagine it's some kind of game reveal or embargo lift. A collaboration between KF/GB/GS would be awesome too though!

Also, something I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting; is A Conversation with Colin over? I haven't seen a new episode in a month, but I hadn't heard anything about the last one that went up being the finale.

If multiple sites are doing it, I've got to imagine it's some kind of game reveal or embargo lift. A collaboration between KF/GB/GS would be awesome too though!

Also, something I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting; is A Conversation with Colin over? I haven't seen a new episode in a month, but I hadn't heard anything about the last one that went up being the finale.

They said it will continue due to fan demand, but I don't know if they ever ended where it was originally meant to end. I'd imagine they filmed a last episode a while ago and that is now not the last episode and that is why we have not seen any recently.

Cross-post from the 2PM Surprise thread:

Danny just posted this image that looks an awful like an outline of Greg:

taNIn3A.jpg

Edit- OK, here goes: CALLED IT! Kinda Funny and GameSpot are partnering for E3 coverage. GameSpot will do game demos and Kinda Funny will get reaction from internet celebrities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzy20yL34SQ

Also, Danny O'Dwyer of GameSpot will be on Colin and Greg Live Tomorrow and be there to guest on the next episode of The Kinda Funny GameCast.

Top Bottom