• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Some people in the chat were saying "lol you left IGN to go work at GameSpot" and I kind of agree. This feels a little needless and impersonal. It'll probably still be fun, but I can't earnestly say I'm excited for it.

Over at the Giant Bomb thread (I post over there a lot), which by extension, is sometimes the de facto GameSpot thread, I can't believe some of the ignorance and hate being hurled towards Colin. Knowing Colin, he would probably get a huge laugh out of it.

Myggen

Over at the Giant Bomb thread (I post over there a lot), which by extension, is sometimes the de facto GameSpot thread, I can't believe some of the ignorance and hate being hurled towards Colin. Knowing Colin, he would probably get a huge laugh out of it.

Colin is in general not a popular figure on GAF.

Some people really hate hearing someone with different opinions than them. I don't agree with Colin all the time, but he's always thoughtful and respectful, and ready to admit when he's wrong or changed his mind.

And I think some (if not most) of the hate is from assumptions or stubbornness to listen to his myriad of opinions, as controversial they may seem. One thing that people seem to glaze over is he is a darn good writer and reporter, despite having no education in that field.

MattyG

Banned
"I hope they announce Fallout 4."

"If they don't, man... fuck them."

My man.

giphy.gif

That's disappointing. Even though I don't agree with him all the time, Colin is my favorite person in the industry and I always hate to see people speaking ill of him when they obviously don't watch KF content enough to know what he's actually like.

My favourite is when people use to say Colin (and Greg too) were too pro-PlayStation. Umm... did you not listen to Beyond in the early days? Or during the outage? Or the myriad of other occasions they ripped Sony apart? They've always been really level headed and fair
unlike Audrey Drake/Rich George/Ryan McCaffrey.

There's a million reasons why I should hate Colin Moriarty. But he's proven over and over that he doesn't deserve the hate and will admit when he or anyone else is wrong. That's not something he should be chastised for.

MattyG

Banned
Kind of tying into the Colin/GB thread thing, apparently people are taking issue with the episode of the GameOverGreggy show that went up today too. I'm curious what you guys thought about it. Personally, I didn't hear anything that stuck out to me as something I'd take issue with, but I'm also not well versed in some of the topics that were being discussed (politics, foreign culture, etc).

And just so it's clear, I hate to bring negativity into the community thread like this, but seeing as how we're already on the topic I figure it can't hurt to open up the discussion.

gameovergreggy

Kinda Funny Games
Some people in the chat were saying "lol you left IGN to go work at GameSpot" and I kind of agree. This feels a little needless and impersonal. It'll probably still be fun, but I can't earnestly say I'm excited for it.
Hey, Lilith--

Sorry to hear that you feel that way, but I'd like to talk about it.

Basically, GameSpot is giving us a stage to do whatever we want at E3. On the show floor. That's not an opportunity we'd have without them. This isn't us coming to E3 to produce GameSpot content; this is us coming to E3 to produce Kinda Funny content for our fans and GameSpot's. It's a crossover. A chance for us to get in front of a new audience.

Hopefully you see that this isn't us working for GameSpot; it's us working with GameSpot. It's us collaborating like we try to do with so many YouTube creators.

Also, we're bring Sisqo.
Greg

Hey, Lilith--

Sorry to hear that you feel that way, but I'd like to talk about it.

Basically, GameSpot is giving us a stage to do whatever we want at E3. On the show floor. That's not an opportunity we'd have without them. This isn't us coming to E3 to produce GameSpot content; this is us coming to E3 to produce Kinda Funny content for our fans and GameSpot's. It's a crossover. A chance for us to get in front of a new audience.

Hopefully you see that this isn't us working for GameSpot; it's us working with GameSpot. It's us collaborating like we try to do with so many YouTube creators.

Also, we're bring Sisqo.
Greg

I mean no disrespect towards GameSpot or their crew. Only that it seems strange that at first you guys are all "we're trading audience for closeness," and now you're reaching for an audience again. I love E3 and it seems like you guys do too, so it makes sense that you'd jump on a chance to get in there. I'm just wondering where you draw the line.

gameovergreggy

Kinda Funny Games
I mean no disrespect towards GameSpot or their crew. Only that it seems strange that at first you guys are all "we're trading audience for closeness," and now you're reaching for an audience again. I love E3 and it seems like you guys do too, so it makes sense that you'd jump on a chance to get in there. I'm just wondering where you draw the line.
Hey--

Oh, I didn't think you were being disrespectful, and your point makes sense.

Honestly, though, I think you have it a bit backwards. GameSpot sought us out to come be a part of the show. Sure, part of it is for our hosting skills, but a big part of it is you. Our audience is awesome. GameSpot would like you to think they're awesome, too.

Now, there's just as much upside (if not more) for us. Hopefully, we make a new fan or two who will come back to us with to YouTube, but we're not thinking we're walking away with millions of people. We're here to put on the same awesome shows we're known for -- but with all our LA friends.

Greg

Hey--

Oh, I didn't think you were being disrespectful, and your point makes sense.

Honestly, though, I think you have it a bit backwards. GameSpot sought us out to come be a part of the show. Sure, part of it is for our hosting skills, but a big part of it is you. Our audience is awesome. GameSpot would like you to think they're awesome, too.

Now, there's just as much upside (if not more) for us. Hopefully, we make a new fan or two who will come back to us with to YouTube, but we're not thinking we're walking away with millions of people. We're here to put on the same awesome shows we're known for -- but with all our LA friends.

Greg

Wow, that's actually really cool! Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. That means a lot! I've been leeching all this time but I think I'll go pay your Patreon a visit. :)

Karu

I was really curious how they manage E3 alone, half disaster, half improvised awesomeness. (I'm half joking. :-D) But this works too! :-D Happy for you guys that you got such opportunity.

Loved the Anti-Americanism episode since they brought a nice balance to the topic. Will write a bit more later when Im not half- asleep on my phone, trying to write this, haha.

The stick-game was weird, but Timm and Greg going full in was fun. Also since he was here commenting on it: Thanks Greg for taking the BL-LP feedbback seriously, means a lot.

a916

Lol, watching the Episode 7 trailer reaction is hilarious. The reason why I avoid almost any Star Wars debates concerning the raging hard on people have for the OT and the vitriol they have for the prequels.

Colin/Nick talk about how "we already know how this movie ends" talking about the Prequels then turn around and go "I'm more excited for Rogue One than anything because we already know how this movie ends!" They spun their wheels and did a real poor job of explaining how one is ideologically better (in theory) than the other.

Then Colin says the prequels answered questions that no one had, but Rogue One answers a question that people asked. Uhhh what? Lol... sounds like a ton of revisionist history, I'm pretty sure more people asked about Vader/Anakin than who were these faceless people that stole the Death Star plans.

Is it just me that skips all their Let's Plays altogether? I just find them unfocused and too random to be enjoyable — they're never long enough to be in depth and they barely understand the game mechanics sometimes; it's like they just have a random game they pick and play, record it then upload. I think a more focused Let's Play on one game a week would be a better approach.

Also really struggling to understand why Alfredo is on the Gamescast at all – he barely has much input or offers a thoughtful response to the topics discussed, he reminds me of Drew on the GiantBombcast where he barely has much input as he's just so different to the rest of the hosts.

So far, I'm enjoying the Twitch Colin & Greg Live the most, with the odd KindaFunny Gamescast topic.

Just offering my opinion so far — apologies if it comes across as too negative.

I'm really surprised Tim didn't bring up Crash Bandicoot in the music topic on Gamescast today. He usually parades his love for those games and this would have been a perfect time to bring it up.

Choomp

Banned
Is it just me that skips all their Let's Plays altogether? I just find them unfocused and too random to be enjoyable — they're never long enough to be in depth and they barely understand the game mechanics sometimes; it's like they just have a random game they pick and play, record it then upload. I think a more focused Let's Play on one game a week would be a better approach.

Honestly, I prefer the unfocused and fun approach, especially for an LP. The Gamescast more for the analysis and stuff, for LPs I think it's fine they just give quick thoughts like they often do, and they games they end up playing are often just for stupid fun anyway.

ST2K

They need to do less LPs and just have Greg coach Colin through P4G. Or Colin can coach Greg through Dang Gan Ronpa. Or Tim can coach Nick through Pokemon.

...Or they could just do anything that's more longer form, really. I always skip the LPs because they're rarely interesting and feel like more targeted towards a very specific type of YouTube viewer that is certainly not me.

I like getting to see them try their hand at lots of new games, but I wouldn't mind them revisiting the especially good ones. I think Mount Your Friends, for example, is worth another video or two.

MattyG

Banned
Everyone needs to subscribe to the Kinda Funny Patreon so you can watch this month's GoG exclusive episode...

THE FIRESIDE CHATS ARE BACK.

jtar86

Yeah I noticed that the other day. I thought there would be more of a cross over of fans considering how similar they are to Giantbomb. Maybe not the same as far as opinions go but the fact that they can speak freely about there opinions and not have to worry about getting in trouble from a corporate overlord.

Karu

They need to do less LPs and just have Greg coach Colin through P4G. Or Colin can coach Greg through Dang Gan Ronpa. Or Tim can coach Nick through Pokemo
Pokemon was fun because of Nick's hilarious bullshit, but if they LP a 80 hour beast like P4G, that isn't that engaging, especially if you're not playing, I'm out, lol. :D

I'm all for longer LP, but on the other side... I appreciate the diversity. So I would prefer larger LPs that are contained in one or two episodes. Play 2 or 3 hours of one game instead of 15 minutes or 80 hours.

Myggen

Pokemon was fun because of Nick's hilarious bullshit, but if they LP a 80 hour beast like P4G, that isn't that engaging, especially if you're not playing, I'm out, lol. :D

I'm all for longer LP, but on the other side... I appreciate the diversity. So I would prefer larger LPs that are contained in one or two episodes. Play 2 or 3 hours of one game instead of 15 minutes or 80 hours.

A LP of a long game like that can be really good. Giant Bomb's LP of Persona 4 back in the day is still on many fan's list of their favourite Giant Bomb content ever. But you're right, it's not something that's done often.

Choomp

Banned
They need to do less LPs and just have Greg coach Colin through P4G. Or Colin can coach Greg through Dang Gan Ronpa. Or Tim can coach Nick through Pokemon.

...Or they could just do anything that's more longer form, really. I always skip the LPs because they're rarely interesting and feel like more targeted towards a very specific type of YouTube viewer that is certainly not me.

A full P4G play through would be awesome. I don't know how good of an idea that truly is considering the games length, but I'd watch the hell out of it it'd be fun.

Man I wish I could tune into Colin and Greg Live when it's actually live, but my school schedule does not allow for that at all.

Yeah I never got why they picked 11am, an evening cast would be better for the NA folks, or even one at noon so west coast people can watch on their lunch breaks.
Also, as an archive viewer, it would be great if they'd chop off the 5 or so minutes of "Colin and Greg will begin soon" screen so when you watched the archive you didn't have to jump around to find the start.

gameovergreggy

Kinda Funny Games
Yeah I never got why they picked 11am, an evening cast would be better for the NA folks, or even one at noon so west coast people can watch on their lunch breaks.
Also, as an archive viewer, it would be great if they'd chop off the 5 or so minutes of "Colin and Greg will begin soon" screen so when you watched the archive you didn't have to jump around to find the start.
Hey--

1) We picked 11 am because it's our work day. :) Also, that's when the most people are at a computer. We're a distraction for most; something that they watch while working. We could do something at night, but remember that we have families we'd like to see! <3

2) If you go to the Highlights rather than the archive, the standby is usually chopped off by a mod.

<3
Greg

gameovergreggy

Kinda Funny Games
Hey--

Also, I've seen a lot of comments about the Let's Plays. I totally understand where you're coming from. Personally, I feel the run we're on right now is us hitting our stride -- like, mid-week on.

Give us another week and let us know.
Greg

MattyG

Banned
Hey Greg! I really appreciate the way you drop in, respond to comments, listen to concerns, and just chat. I've never seen someone engage with their community and audience on that level before. It's awesome.

And the Fireside Chat GameOverGreggy Show episode? AMAZING. I love Tim and Nick, but you and Colin have fantastic chemistry in one on one situations, and I'd love to see more of it from time to time (even though we kind of get it every day on Colin & Greg Live!).

Keep up the great work! <3

Karu

Hey Greg! I really appreciate the way you drop in, respond to comments, listen to concerns, and just chat. I've never seen someone engage with their community and audience on that level before. It's awesome.

And the Fireside Chat GameOverGreggy Show episode? AMAZING. I love Tim and Nick, but you and Colin have fantastic chemistry in one on one situations, and I'd love to see more of it from time to time (even though we kind of get it every day on Colin & Greg Live!).

Keep up the great work! <3
First off, yes, love the drop-ins! This fits with your own surprise that everybody is so understanding, but well... we definitely appreciate even the acknowledgement - and that you do it on such a wide spectrum of platforms (Patreon, reddit, social media etc) is probably the impressive part here.

@ exclusive episode: The weird thing is... I've heard those topics in variations probably a hundred times by now, but it's still fascinating, haha. A little sigh is followed by "Hmmm, interesting. Coolcoolcool. Keep going' ".

Hey--

1) We picked 11 am because it's our work day. :) Also, that's when the most people are at a computer. We're a distraction for most; something that they watch while working. We could do something at night, but remember that we have families we'd like to see! <3

2) If you go to the Highlights rather than the archive, the standby is usually chopped off by a mod.

<3
Greg

<3 right back at you, Greg. Sorry, I totally came across a little more dickish then I meant to. I'm really digging the chemistry the four of you have lately, obviously you and Colin have always been a great duo, but as a group you four are really gelling. I especially like Colin and Nick together. Speaking of chemistry, I hope we can hear my boy Ryan Clements with you guys again soon, Greg + Colin + Ryan is the kind of stuff dreams are made of. DREAMS, GREG!!!

ST2K

I can definitely see not wanting mammoth runs. If you haven't given something like that a shot before though, you might be surprised. I'm a Giant Bomb fan, and I think their best work is their long form content (Endurance Runs, Metal Gear Scanlon, etc.) There's a kind of narrative that builds over the series that makes it pretty darn fun.

That being said, I would most certainly take your option over continued 10 minute LPs. Though since Greg asked nicely, I'll try a couple more this week.

I don't know why I didn't check out Kinda Funny sooner tbh as I always liked Greg and Colin the most from IGN (and especially Greg because of Up at Noon)

Now i'm sitting here catching up with all of their gameovergreggy podcasts starting from like, 58 (or whichever one is when they talk about why they left IGN). Once I catch up, I'll probably go back to some of the old ones. Podcasts are so convenient. They make doing chores and exercising much more pleasant, and the bus ride from my CC to home is much more bearable now. I'm caught up as much as I'd like to be with the Kinda Funny podcast. I enjoy that just as much as the other one.

Also, Conversation with Colin is great. He makes pretty much anything interesting. He's actually got me a lot more interested in history than I once was. I used to think it was one of the more boring subjects but now i'm actually considering informing myself on it more.

Ok, done fanboying. I'm later than I'd like to be for this whole thing.

Apathy

In case some people here are not in the facebook group, I though with the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight tomorrow why we dont celebrate the greatest battle to take place in history

Choomp

Banned
In case some people here are not in the facebook group, I though with the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight tomorrow why we dont celebrate the greatest battle to take place in history

I left the Facebook group a week or two ago. Things still interesting around there?

Karu

The holy trinity discussion was awesome, haha. So non-sensical but... it made sense. :-D

Also... I discovered One Piece Pirate Warriors 2, my first Dynasty Warriors-esque game. And holy hell, if thats not the perfect podcast game. When do you guys consume their content, or better, do you do stuff besides?!

Top Bottom