• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Karu

I am very sorry if the second half got really good, but todays Gamescast Part was one half of a total bust. A. It is okay not wanting to research stuff live. But then, please god, get it right. And then the guest talked about not wanting to empower todays Neonazis to play as Nazis and I was like... you know what? This is a great point to nope the fuck out.

Just_one

Never thought i would say this but i realised that colin was the main reason why i listen to these guys.

Love greg and nick (tim can go to hell, fake ass guy) but to me colin was just so articulate with the way he spoke about things.

Hey maybe if you are not feeling Kinda funny at the moment take a break for a week or month. They produce so much easy to burn out, come back later and see how you feel about it then, also if after KFL3 will have a new engery etc. and hopefully some cool new shows or some old ones coming back looking at you love and sex stuff!

100% Agree! This is what I did before everything that happened in the past month. I canceled my Patreon (that was since they launched). And took a clean break.

After everything that happened. I dipped my toe back in. After a couple KFMS's, I found myself enjoying it again. Andy's addition has been really great. I've also liked the revolving Guests on the Gamescast. New perspectives have been a great addition to the cast. I've also resubbed to their Patreon. Sometimes breaks are a good thing.

Zukkoyaki

I still think they should drop the animated show. It's undoubtedly an enormous time and money sink and considering what a niche product it is, don't see how it's worth it. Plus Colin being gone kinda makes it more awkward.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
One point I would like to make about people saying that they dont seem as engaged lately both during the content and in the comments, if you look back for the 1-2 months before KFL2/1, there was a drop there too Time and Nick are spending a hell of a lot of time planning and producing the content etc for KFL3 and they are now having to do shifts on the morning show aswell which they won't really last 2 years. Think this is a big factor Tim and Nick really put a hell of a lot of effort in KFL so if there is a drop off before as someone flying out from UK for second year in a row I don't mind, i understand they are tired/busy/distracted, hey we all remeber/know of the infamous poster tube incident for pre KFL1 etc. Also as others say they are having to rebuild chemistry without Colin, I agree is hard when been the 4 of them for so long, i kind of hope they announce a new host at KFL3 cause think they need more than 3 main on camera people, know it might be a bit too soon, but also Andy and Kevin are great when they are dropped in to help but have jobs etc already. Hey I still watch it religously and actually love the BBQ bits as see it as bonus content.

Hey maybe if you are not feeling Kinda funny at the moment take a break for a week or month. They produce so much easy to burn out, come back later and see how you feel about it then, also if after KFL3 will have a new engery etc. and hopefully some cool new shows or some old ones coming back looking at you love and sex stuff!

Idk it feels like KoF live while a big thing for the KoF crew and hardcore incrowd fanbase that it takes too much time and energy for the larger payoff with the broader reach of fans?

Maybe I'm just off about this.

ST2K

Idk it feels like KoF live while a big thing for the KoF crew and hardcore incrowd fanbase that it takes too much time and energy for the larger payoff with the broader reach of fans?

You're not off. KFL appeals to a niche of a niche. It's cool that it exists, but if it harms your product for months of the year to put on the show, something should change.

It also puts the spotlight back on the "in" crowd v. out crowd dynamic, which KF continues to ignore as a problem.

After taking a fairly lengthy break from watching any of the Morning Show, I tried to give it a shot today. And I feel I gave it a fair shake, sticking it out for about 25-30 minutes. The total lack of any structure and random banter made it impossible for me to keep the tab open. I miss the days of a structured news show with a curated list of stories that actually made me feel like I was informed and didn't need to visit IGN or Gamespot for that daily news flash. The guys are fun and all, but I don't feel like I get anything of the show when there's nothing of substance up for discussion.

_Isaac

After taking a fairly lengthy break from watching any of the Morning Show, I tried to give it a shot today. And I feel I gave it a fair shake, sticking it out for about 25-30 minutes. The total lack of any structure and random banter made it impossible for me to keep the tab open. I miss the days of a structured news show with a curated list of stories that actually made me feel like I was informed and didn't need to visit IGN or Gamespot for that daily news flash. The guys are fun and all, but I don't feel like I get anything of the show when there's nothing of substance up for discussion.

To be honest, a lot of the times I don't even watch the Morning Show until that TotallyAwesomeGuy commenter does the timestamps in the YouTube comments. That way I can skip to when they actually talk about stuff.

To be honest, a lot of the times I don't even watch the Morning Show until that TotallyAwesomeGuy commenter does the timestamps in the YouTube comments. That way I can skip to when they actually talk about stuff.

Yeah I guess that's a decent solution. It just sucks because I used to watch it pretty much every day, and really enjoyed it. I can't be the only one, as their viewership has gone way down - used to typically hover anywhere from 3-5K or even more sometimes, today it was under 2K. Wouldn't be surprised to see them shut the whole thing down eventually, although I imagine they're still making a solid few bucks off the subs.

jviggy43

If I'm being honest I think Nick is the problem. He seems like a total casual gamer/casual nerd culture guy who doesn't bring a ton of insight to the conversation, and hes more of that friend whose friends started a talk show and he sort of got on simply by association. When Greg and Tim speak, they do so with conviction (when they aren't engaging in random banter which I agree has been a lot of the recent stuff) and insight on the industry and the history of the games/comics/movies they are talking about. I know next to nothing about Nick but thats just how it comes across to me. They need a third person who can argue and bring different points to the table but thats free of the BS colin brought on board.

Zukkoyaki

I feel like Nick is a major asset behind the scenes and especially on the Gameovergreggy Show. He's funny and almost always has a good story or two, basically the pervy uncle of the group which works well on a more traditional talk show. But yes, keep him away from the gaming stuff unless he's the only one around who is playing something.

Just_one

What's "fake" about Tim?

just go see the last video they made with colin (morning show i think) , u can quite see tim doesnt give a flying fuck about him leaving but has to say good things because its being taped.

greg and nick are a mess but tim is all like "its life "

Nope, you're not off about this. You're spot on, it's how a lot of us are feeling. My KF days are certainly waning at least.

I could be wrong but Tim once compared Colin and Greg Live to getting Podcast Beyond every day. Yup, those days are loooong fucking gone. They went from having 7k viewers a day easy to having under 2k when it became a tip reading stream. They used to stream games in the evenings, have developers on, analyze the news, the whole nine yards. Now? We get a BBQ........

just go see the last video they made with colin (morning show i think) , u can quite see tim doesnt give a flying fuck about him leaving but has to say good things because its being taped.

greg and nick are a mess but tim is all like "its life"

How is that fake? Even if "it's life" is part of Tim's mentality, they're all handling the grief in their own way. It's kinda whack to pick apart their body language when they're clearly down and just assume the worst from it.

jviggy43

I feel like Nick is a major asset behind the scenes and especially on the Gameovergreggy Show. He's funny and almost always has a good story or two, basically the pervy uncle of the group which works well on a more traditional talk show. But yes, keep him away from the gaming stuff unless he's the only one around who is playing something.
Thats likely true, and he does have the humor, but I watch those shows as others have said, to get caught up on news and whats going on. He very rarely has any useful or worthwhile insight or discussions about that stuff. Thats just me tho.

This is called professionalism. And obviously he didn't take to what Colin was doing well with his tweets in the first place which I can hardly blame him for. Dude put a stupid shitty joke over his friends and company (But hey it looks like it worked out well for him anyway)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Gamescast and pretty much anything kinda funny has been better than ever without Colin.
I honestly don't get why you need someone just sitting there being disinterested + saying blatantly wrong things. If that's not your jazz you can always join the anti pc toxic garbage people over at CLS and praise your overlord there.
At least one of the recent lets plays they were responding too. And some random recent gamescast I saw some responses for.

You'd be surprised. I mean obviously pretty much all of the sub are Colin fans to some extent, but there's a lot of people who don't agree with those views. He's been called out there lately (not just today) for the victim complex thing and they actually get upvotes. That along with people disagreeing with things stated in his political videos and whatnot.
Never thought i would say this but i realised that colin was the main reason why i listen to these guys.

Love greg and nick (tim can go to hell, fake ass guy) but to me colin was just so articulate with the way he spoke about things.

Go watch CLS where Mr. non fake I will never leave the company because loyalty is important to me but not as important as my right to be shitty to other people can be non fake all day. Your kind fits right in there I'm sure. Honestly if there's a fake person it's Colin given how much fucking shit he said that he clearly didn't mean or abide by. Hey let's be all reasonable and meet in the middle while I clearly only bag and troll and bully one side in the argument. Tsss.
We're getting to the point where the people that I happen see support Colin generally seem to be always giant assholes to the point it doesn't even feel like coincidence anymore. More like people being attracted to someone propagating toxic behavior. Yes I'm calling that shit out.

Also this is very much limited to me criticizing his public behavior and the kind of fanbase that has attracted. I have no judgement on how Colin is to his friends and in private. I'll take everyone's word for it that outside the internet that he's a decent person given that I obviously don't know. But I make the differentiation there.

Mezoly

I just saw a huge thread on KF Facebook group about the content and how stale it got. It seemed the overwhelming majority of posters agree about that. So I guess people here in Gaf are not alone on that like sometimes in the past. I think it's a mistake that they delayed the announcements to KFL3. This rut does seem similar to the one before KFL2 last year like theindieboy mentioned. However, I feel this is more severe. I feel this year they need a major overhaul especially to their gaming content.

Edit: Tim Posted on that post, I'll quote him here:

Tim Gettys:
Appreciate all the feedback guys. I read EVERYTHING I can. I am in this group every day, I browse the forums everyday. I check Reddit everyday. 1/4 of our founders left and we are in a position where we need to fundamentally rethink our programming. I wish we had all the answers ready right now to just launch a bunch of new shows. I see so much talk of "they shouldn't wait til KFL3, they need to stop the bleeding now!" It is important to note that there is no consensus on what EVERYONE wants, because Kinda Funny means something different to everyone. I am actively trying to figure out the Venn Diagram of what the most people want, that we want to do, that makes sense as a business decision. We need this time to plan and make decisions and logos and graphic packages and talk to outside parties and figure out what Kinda Funny means now. We are listening to what people are saying, and hopefully this new Kinda Funny will be for you. Either way, thank you all for caring.

PepperedHam

Holding off announcements like you're a game publisher is the dumbest move you can make when your community is in dire need of a shot in the arm.

Mikey Jr.

I just saw a huge thread on KF Facebook group about the content and how stale it got. It seemed the overwhelming majority of posters agree about that. So I guess people here in Gaf are not alone on that like sometimes in the past. I think it's a mistake that they delayed the announcements to KFL3. This rut does seem similar to the one before KFL2 last year like theindieboy mentioned. However, I feel this is more severe. I feel this year they need a major overhaul especially to their gaming content.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/kindafunnygames

They are losing more subs than they're gaining. I think the people who unsubbed out of spite are pretty much gone. I think at this point, its people genuinely just getting bored of their content and leaving.

Mezoly

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/kindafunnygames

They are losing more subs than they're gaining. I think the people who unsubbed out of spite are pretty much gone. I think at this point, its people genuinely just getting bored of their content and leaving.

Yup. I think Colin stuff has happened over a month ago, almost two months in fact. So anyone leaving because of him is probably gone already.

To be constructive, what kind of content do you guys want?

Personally, I would like some spoierlcasts. Do horizon, Persona, Prey, Edith Finch, or anything they are playing. Even if only one person has played/finished the game let the other person become an interviewer. If Tim/Greg don't want to be spoiled let Nick or Kevin do the interview part.

Other thing I would like is some high production series such as games history or industry analysis or a games series history some good examples that I think they could do are Uncharted, Persona, Zelda. I remember Greg saying he always wanted to do those things but when paired with Colin he bowed out from his initial ambition.

One thing that would help do those things is wrapping out the animated series or halt some shows like gamecast or morning show until the animated series has fulfilled the patreon goal.

Finally, they should bring back surveys. I don't know why they stopped doing them but they should bring at least one back considering the situation they are currently in. Edit: Tim said they are putting together a survey.

Just_one

This is called professionalism. And obviously he didn't take to what Colin was doing well with his tweets in the first place which I can hardly blame him for.

its a fuckin tweet...it means nothing...only in this day and age people are upset about something said online....goes to show how decadent society has become...and probably the reason why he left , the moment your friends that have known u for years are more upset about a tweet than having your back , something is seriously wrong...wouldnt blame him for leaving

graybot

I think their product had been going very stale over the past 6 or so months. And Colin’s disinterest when on podcasts was something that really annoyed me

So I was Quite relieved he left. But since he has gone I think its gotten even worse. A lot of forced humor repeated over and over again. It needs a shot in the arm

I think they need to make huge changes or Kinda Funny wont last much longer

This current Gamescast has been pretty underwhelming. My brain kind of turned off when the discussion turned to Call of Duty WWII will empower American Neo-Nazis. I'm 100% down with bagging on these hate groups but that just seemed like a pretty nutty. Not their strongest guest, that's for sure.

I will say last episode was fantastic with Alanah. Also heard on Beyond that Brian Altano will be a guest soonish so I'm excited for that.

Maximo

its a fuckin tweet...it means nothing...only in this day and age people are upset about something said online....goes to show how decadent society has become...and probably the reason why he left , the moment your friends that have known u for years are more upset about a tweet than having your back , something is seriously wrong...wouldnt blame him for leaving

People are still going on about *its just a tweet*?

RedAssedApe

Banned

Eh. Just sounds like you already didn't like Tim and are just projecting that onto the situation. Not everyone gets all weepy over stuff like this.

Suggest you go back and watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvSxrbkZi3k

I'll take what they have to say on camera at face value.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. Doubly so when your public persona is basically your business.

Just_one

Eh. Just sounds like you already didn't like Tim and are just projecting that onto the situation. Not everyone gets all weepy over stuff like this.

Suggest you go back and watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvSxrbkZi3k

I'll take what they have to say on camera at face value.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. Doubly so when your public persona is basically your business.

no i actually liked tim before that , it was that "i dont give a shit of him leaving" that made me despise him.

oh and on the freedom of speech / public persona these days people care more about what everyone says on a fuckin social network than in real life...thats how pathetic society has become...

Karu

no i actually liked tim before that , it was that "i dont give a shit of him leaving" that made me despise him.

oh and on the freedom of speech / public persona these days people care more about what everyone says on a fuckin social network than in real life...thats how pathetic society has become...
It's just a prank, bro! The notion that what someone says on Social media is not a reflection to some degree of the real person is insane. Guess what - Social media has a wider reach than "real life" (lol) and thus is heard and read by more people, inevitable the reaction will be bigger no matter what. Posting on Social Media is a choice and people will react accoordingly to what is being posted.

It's funny you say that, I thought it seemed like Tim was genuinely upset about it. Guess we'll never know the "real truth" and just have to take what they've said as fact...

Not sure how it's "pathetic" that people care about what someone says on a social network, since what someone says there should NOT be anything they wouldn't say in person/real life. Social media is essentially a method of increasing the reach of things that you want to share (therefore things that you stand behind) and you shouldn't be free from any backlash if people disagree with something.

ST2K

To be constructive, what kind of content do you guys want?

Personally, I would like some spoierlcasts. Do horizon, Persona, Prey, Edith Finch, or anything they are playing. Even if only one person has played/finished the game let the other person become an interviewer. If Tim/Greg don't want to be spoiled let Nick or Kevin do the interview part.

Other thing I would like is some high production series such as games history or industry analysis or a games series history some good examples that I think they could do are Uncharted, Persona, Zelda. I remember Greg saying he always wanted to do those things but when paired with Colin he bowed out from his initial ambition.

One thing that would help do those things is wrapping out the animated series or halt some shows like gamecast or morning show until the animated series has fulfilled the patreon goal.

Finally, they should bring back surveys. I don't know why they stopped doing them but they should bring at least one back considering the situation they are currently in. Edit: Tim said they are putting together a survey.

Spoilercasts would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure how compelling it'd be with only one person. Those are great when it's a discussion, ideally with more than 2 people. I'd take them trying it out though!

Surveys should definitely be back, though I didn't see anyone saying they'd come back and it seemed to be a Colin thing. Where did you see Tim say something about that?

Personally, I'd like more game content that just goes into any sort of depth. Way too much surface level content right now. Having guests has helped that a little bit, though the Gamescast structure hurts it badly.

Spoilercasts would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure how compelling it'd be with only one person. Those are great when it's a discussion, ideally with more than 2 people. I'd take them trying it out though!

Surveys should definitely be back, though I didn't see anyone saying they'd come back and it seemed to be a Colin thing. Where did you see Tim say something about that?

Personally, I'd like more game content that just goes into any sort of depth. Way too much surface level content right now. Having guests has helped that a little bit, though the Gamescast structure hurts it badly.

I think if they could come up with a way to blend the PSILY format with Gamescast that might do well. I barely ever watch the Gamescast, but I was a fairly regular listener/watcher of PSILY. I use it as a dose of news + analysis, and I really wasn't getting that from the Gamescast. If they could bring that feel, then it might be more enticing for me, particularly since I don't get my news from the Morning Show anymore.

Also agree about things being more in-depth. PSILY seemed to bring that to the table for a while, but then it seemed like Colin fell off in his interest and it got a bit stale. Now that they need to reinvigorate it, they really need to find a way to bring back that "industry expert" feeling, although admittedly it might be difficult with Greg really being the only one who fits that description. Even in writing this I'm beginning to wonder if maybe they've lost some of that insider knowledge having been away from IGN for so long - they're still "in" the industry, but not being as submerged in the daily news and industry happenings might also be what's having a negative effect on the content.

ghornett

Neo Member
I just saw a huge thread on KF Facebook group about the content and how stale it got.

Edit: Tim Posted on that post, I'll quote him here:

Tim Gettys:
Appreciate all the feedback guys. I read EVERYTHING I can. I am in this group every day, I browse the forums everyday. I check Reddit everyday. 1/4 of our founders left and we are in a position where we need to fundamentally rethink our programming. I wish we had all the answers ready right now to just launch a bunch of new shows. I see so much talk of "they shouldn't wait til KFL3, they need to stop the bleeding now!" It is important to note that there is no consensus on what EVERYONE wants, because Kinda Funny means something different to everyone. I am actively trying to figure out the Venn Diagram of what the most people want, that we want to do, that makes sense as a business decision. We need this time to plan and make decisions and logos and graphic packages and talk to outside parties and figure out what Kinda Funny means now. We are listening to what people are saying, and hopefully this new Kinda Funny will be for you. Either way, thank you all for caring.

I think it's funny Tim is worried about logos and graphic packages when the meat of what they do sucks right now. Fix your content then worry about the fluff.

Liamc723

I would direct you over to the active Colin's Last Stand thread where you're clearly more suited, and not wanted here.

But I can't direct you there, because there is no such thread. Because it's shit.

jviggy43

I don't want to get into this again and take up conversation in here about colin, but if you want to read discussion on it go read the locked thread where most of my, and others thoughts were laid out. Hes gone, many of us are happy about it, move on.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, they are in a tough position.

Psily was bringing in around 70k views a week. Colin was right, love him or hate him, was bringing in 80k.

So that's 150k views a week gone overnight.

That's a big chunk.

Yeah, they are in a tough position.

Psily was bringing in around 70k views a week. Colin was right, love him or hate him, was bringing in 80k.

So that's 150k views a week gone overnight.

That's a big chunk.

Their viewership and funding is down, but I don't think they're in a bad spot financially at least. They're still making a whole bunch of money. That said I do think they need some revitalization badly. Watching today's Gamescast topic, they skim over questions that in the past they would have examined in-depth - Bloodborne 2? 30 second discussion. They could have speculated on From's rationale for doing it (or not), when it might happen if it does, etc. but they barely touched it.

As an aside, it's funny to me to hear Tim saying that he "lives on forums" when he barely uses the forums his own company created.

ST2K

Also agree about things being more in-depth. PSILY seemed to bring that to the table for a while, but then it seemed like Colin fell off in his interest and it got a bit stale. Now that they need to reinvigorate it, they really need to find a way to bring back that "industry expert" feeling, although admittedly it might be difficult with Greg really being the only one who fits that description. Even in writing this I'm beginning to wonder if maybe they've lost some of that insider knowledge having been away from IGN for so long - they're still "in" the industry, but not being as submerged in the daily news and industry happenings might also be what's having a negative effect on the content.

I think that's an interesting point about insider knowledge and how embedded they are at this point. Obviously, Nick, Kevin, and Andy don't have much due to their backgrounds. I doubt Tim does either. And when it comes to Greg, honestly, I think he's probably ok with the relationships he's built over the years, but he's never seemed super on the industry-wide analysis side of things. Over the years, he's trended more towards the hobbyist/enthusiast side of things where he likes what he likes, talks about how it makes him feel and that's kind of it. He doesn't go outside of his comfort zone when it comes to the games he plays, he doesn't seem into analyzing sales numbers and industry trends, and he doesn't really criticize publishers for anti-consumer behaviors or anything like that. A lot of the interesting analysis he brought was because Colin would come in with his clear opinion on whatever the subject was and Greg could play devil's advocate. So without someone to play off of and bring that stuff out of him, I'm not sure he's passionate about any sort of in-depth analysis.

Kinda Funny is kind of at a crossroads right now where they will be forming their identity for the future. Are they going to be a place you can go to for experts who can bring some insight to the latest happenings in the industry and the latest big games? Or are they just going to merely be a Let's Play house of churning out videos of them being goofy with games as one of the things they talk about, along with other nerd culture stuff? They were able to balance those two worlds pretty decently for a while, but they're probably going to have make a choice soon. I think their new hire is going to be a pretty big hint at their approach. And as someone who is hoping for the first option, I'm worried. Greg is the only one who has experience in that field. Everyone else at the company's background seems more allied with the second option.

jviggy43

Their viewership and funding is down, but I don't think they're in a bad spot financially at least. They're still making a whole bunch of money. That said I do think they need some revitalization badly. Watching today's Gamescast topic, they skim over questions that in the past they would have examined in-depth - Bloodborne 2? 30 second discussion. They could have speculated on From's rationale for doing it (or not), when it might happen if it does, etc. but they barely touched it.

As an aside, it's funny to me to hear Tim saying that he "lives on forums" when he barely uses the forums his own company created.

I literally just watched this. As a huge BB fan I have been dying for some good conversation, especially about a potential sequel. This episode "Do you guys think there will be a BB2?"

"Hey Nintendo Ammibo! What did you think about the switch?"

Wtf is that?

I think that's an interesting point about insider knowledge and how embedded they are at this point. Obviously, Nick, Kevin, and Andy don't have much due to their backgrounds. I doubt Tim does either. And when it comes to Greg, honestly, I think he's probably ok with the relationships he's built over the years, but he's never seemed super on the industry-wide analysis side of things. Over the years, he's trended more towards the hobbyist/enthusiast side of things where he likes what he likes, talks about how it makes him feel and that's kind of it. He doesn't go outside of his comfort zone when it comes to the games he plays, he doesn't seem into analyzing sales numbers and industry trends, and he doesn't really criticize publishers for anti-consumer behaviors or anything like that. A lot of the interesting analysis he brought was because Colin would come in with his clear opinion on whatever the subject was and Greg could play devil's advocate. So without someone to play off of and bring that stuff out of him, I'm not sure he's passionate about any sort of in-depth analysis.

Kinda Funny is kind of at a crossroads right now where they will be forming their identity for the future. Are they going to be a place you can go to for experts who can bring some insight to the latest happenings in the industry and the latest big games? Or are they just going to merely be a Let's Play house of churning out videos of them being goofy with games as one of the things they talk about, along with other nerd culture stuff? They were able to balance those two worlds pretty decently for a while, but they're probably going to have make a choice soon. I think their new hire is going to be a pretty big hint at their approach. And as someone who is hoping for the first option, I'm worried. Greg is the only one who has experience in that field. Everyone else at the company's background seems more allied with the second option.

This is a good analysis. Totally agree with your second paragraph and is more or less what I was saying in regards to Nick yesterday. They just seem to be guys who want to hangout and record themselves playing video games and talking about things they like about the games theyre playing with no structure. Nick is the worst of all of them imo because he doesn't even seem to genuinely be into that sort of stuff like Tim and Greg are.

Really well said. I definitely agree that they're at this crossroads, and I think that what's turned me off over the last year or so is that they've seemed to be heading more and more down the latter path you mentioned - churning out content, playing off gags, making silly jokes, etc. I initially started watching Kinda Funny (when they officially began the company) due to Colin & Greg's insider knowledge and their ability to be a little more playful about things now that they were on their own and free of any "corporate rule" so to speak. As the company has matured (and I use this term for ironic purposes only...) they've focused more on the banter-ish silliness than the in-depth knowledge and analysis of the industry. As much as I currently dislike Colin, he did bring that to the table for a long time, and I think that you're spot on in saying that with nobody to bring it out of Greg, the lack of that type of content/discussion is even more glaring.

Zukkoyaki

My thoughts:

- Gameovergreggy Show is fine, leave that alone.
- Bring Love & Sex Stuff back. That show was hilarious and drew more views than almost everything else they did. No idea why it got put on the back-burner.
- Reign in the Morning Show. Focus on actually discussing the pop culture news rather than screwing around and reading subs the whole time.
- Do more Kinda Funny Reacts. These are almost always a good time but they're very infrequent. It wouldn't hurt to try and have one a week or something like that. Maybe go see a random movie or new show once in awhile and just talk about it.
- More group Let's Plays like the Battlefield 1 video from a few months back. Those are always a good time.
- The big one for me is that they desperately need at least one person who plays tons of video games. I love Greg and I love Tim and they have had some great guests on the Gamescast lately (I also think anyone saying "They are bored of games!" is crazy and not paying attention) but man they simply do not play enough games nor seem to follow the industry close enough to be able to carry a weekly podcast. They gloss over far too much and don't get into detailed discussions much anymore.

One thing they could do if they want to quickly stem the bleeding, at least temporarily is end the Gamescast and replace it with a completely PlayStation dominated show. Give the people what they want if you will, a return to form. Here is the caveat-Greg I'm sure knows a fuckton of Sony execs at San Mateo HQ. Greg could somehow grease a few palms and convince someone like Shawn Layden or someone else who works at Sony to join him every week for an all things PlayStation podcast complete with insider industry analysis. But sadly I think this violates some sort of contract. I really got nothing else :(

One thing they could do if they want to quickly stem the bleeding, at least temporarily is end the Gamescast and replace it with a completely PlayStation dominated show. Give the people what they want if you will, a return to form. Here is the caveat-Greg I'm sure knows a fuckton of Sony execs at San Mateo HQ. Greg could somehow grease a few palms and convince someone like Shawn Layden or someone else who works at Sony to join him every week for an all things PlayStation podcast complete with insider industry analysis. But sadly I think this violates some sort of contract. I really got nothing else :(

As much as I'd love to see someone from PS on a cast with them, I'm relatively certain it would never happen for fear of them giving things away etc. It would be a cool move from a Sony PR standpoint, but it would be a huge risk for them.

ST2K

This is a good analysis. Totally agree with your second paragraph and is more or less what I was saying in regards to Nick yesterday. They just seem to be guys who want to hangout and record themselves playing video games and talking about things they like about the games theyre playing with no structure. Nick is the worst of all of them imo because he doesn't even seem to genuinely be into that sort of stuff like Tim and Greg are.

Nick is not a games guy and has never claimed to be. He's a movie buff and in it for the other stuff they cover. And that's completely OK. Kinda Funny doesn't have to be exclusively about in-depth games analysis. But I think all of us here at least want that to be a part of KF, at the very least.

Nick is not a games guy and has never claimed to be. He's a movie buff and in it for the other stuff they cover. And that's completely OK. Kinda Funny doesn't have to be exclusively about in-depth games analysis. But I think all of us here at least want that to be a part of KF, at the very least.

Couldn't have said it much better myself. I love what Nick does for KF, he's that random funny guy and I identify with him the most - he's always seemed a little less into the "lifestyle" that Greg and Colin were into and like KF was just a part of his life, not the whole thing (maybe this is just me reading way too much into it). In any case, I like that he brings something different to the table, but they have to make sure that they play to the strengths of each guy, and focus content accordingly.

As much as I'd love to see someone from PS on a cast with them, I'm relatively certain it would never happen for fear of them giving things away etc. It would be a cool move from a Sony PR standpoint, but it would be a huge risk for them.

Yea that would be a pretty huge risk, lol. What to do about Kinda Funny Games, what to do......

jviggy43

But that's my problem, why is he on the games show at all? He offers nothing to it. And is he a movie buff? I've never known that, and from what little I've seen of him with regards to movies didn't appear to be one.

Top Bottom