• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

ST2K

just came here to post about how much i like andy and his addition to KF. and now i'm seeing theres more drama? lol

Everybody loves Andy and Nick. They're the real MVPs.

But yeah, KF just keeps screwing up worse as time moves on, unfortunately.

Vinc

I mean losing Colin was a huge blow. There's no way around it. It was always going to hurt them significantly. Greg wants the company to go on without them, but it was definitely not there yet, and not close either. Without some insane planning and months of preparation, there was no way the company could come out of this unscathed.

Liamc723

I really don't understand the excuse of having a lack of time to post on forums and other social media platforms.

If you have enough time to lurk and read those posts, you have enough time to reply to them. It literally takes 30 seconds.

killroy87

Has he acknowledged that people think their content output could use some tweaking (an overhaul)? Or is this not about that at all.

StoveOven

Banned
I appreciate the idea of somebody not having a lot of time, but that time being put in is not being shown in the content their putting out. I assume a lot of that time is going to behind the scenes stuff, but if that's the case than they need to really rethink how they operate and their content pipeline.

killroy87

Yeah and he doubled down on asking that mod to "please leave".

Really???

It osunds like at least some of the issues would go away if they just funnelled their community. It sounds like Facebook/Reddit/Discord/Forums/Twitter are all separate groups that all want the KF folk to be aorund. Greg should just publicly announce that all of those communities are welcome to continue on, but only one of them will be seen as the official platform for them to interact with the fans.

linds

Neo Member
Really???

It osunds like at least some of the issues would go away if they just funnelled their community. It sounds like Facebook/Reddit/Discord/Forums/Twitter are all separate groups that all want the KF folk to be aorund. Greg should just publicly announce that all of those communities are welcome to continue on, but only one of them will be seen as the official platform for them to interact with the fans.

This is the main reason we've pushed the forums so much with them- because there's so much potential in streamlining communication to one platform, and that's what I thought they would be when they were announced at KFL.

Personally I think Discord is the best community platform, based on what I've seen other creators to do- especially with Twitch and Patreon integration. But that platform could be any of them really.

ST2K

Came in late, but the few key points I saw:

- KFL is important to the guys. It will not be reduced.
- They don't have time to get involved and address a lot of the community.
- They know they're poor at collecting and addressing feedback, and they're not sure what to do about it.
- Greg himself has had trouble with reading comments/feedback because he takes it personally after a long day of work. As a result, he withdrew after the Moriarty Divorce and issues went unaddressed. He's been getting more re-engaged now.
- They don't have the resources to hire a full-time community manager.
- Wait for KFL3 for content news.

I'll go back and watch the beginning and see if there's any other major points I missed.

I appreciate the idea of somebody not having a lot of time, but that time being put in is not being shown in the content their putting out. I assume a lot of that time is going to behind the scenes stuff, but if that's the case than they need to really rethink how they operate and their content pipeline.
This "no time" reasoning has been going on for long enough. As of right now, all they have is KFMS, the podcasts, and the animated series; everything else has either been put on hiatus or canceled, where is all this time going? They were putting out more content at the start and that was without a full-time editor and a community manager.
Really???

Yes, I thought that was supposed to be the point of their forums, but they never seemed to mention those outside of a place to send podcast questions or topic suggestions. They should absolutely double down on their forums being the start and end of all official interactions with the community as a company. I think it is a bit much asking them to be trying to cover every social media platform that has a KF fanbase.

Maximo

Came in late, but the few key points I saw:

- KFL is important to the guys. It will not be reduced.
- They don't have time to get involved and address a lot of the community.
- They know they're poor at collecting and addressing feedback, and they're not sure what to do about it.
- They don't have the resources to hire a full-time community manager.
- Wait for KFL3 for content news.

I'll go back and watch the beginning and see if there's any other major points I missed.

Essentially waiting for KFL3 to see if there are any changes.

Mezoly

One note that got my attention is that Greg shut him self off from the community(Reddit, Facebook, YouTube) after Colin left to wait for the outrage to blow over and that made him miss some of the growing restlessness that is going on.

Coolluck

So nothing but lip-service then? That is disappointing if not unexpected. Isn't the time thing a flimsy excuse given that so many people started out doing this kind ot stuff in their free time and this is their job? Yes, there's only so many hours in a day but they have a lot of people giving them money for this.

Mezoly

It boggled my mind last week when I realized that they don't engage on their own forums. I always thought I don't see them engage here or the Facebook group because they want to use their own forums.

This "no time" reasoning has been going on for long enough. As of right now, all they have is KFMS, the podcasts, and the animated series; everything else has either been put on hiatus or canceled, where is all this time going? They were putting out more content at the start and that was without a full-time editor and a community manager.

Yes, I thought that was supposed to be the point of their forums, but they never seemed to mention those outside of a place to send podcast questions or topic suggestions. They should absolutely double down on their forums being the start and end of all official interactions with the community as a company. I think it is a bit much asking them to be trying to cover every social media platform that has a KF fanbase.

To your first question, Greg says KFL3 and E3 booking is what taking their time. They produce a lot of high quality videos for KFL if the previous years is anything to go by. That's why I think they need to reconsider KFL for next year either scale it down to something like Beyond 300 or make it biannually.

I feel like he addressed basically everything you would think of, but didn't say what many of you guys would like to hear him say on it. (I missed the first 30 or so minutes though). And I don't agree it was a complete waste of time or nothing important was said. I just hope they follow through on the things he said they will try to get better at.

Some comments that I can recall he made on how they'd work to improve in regards to engaging with the community are

- Interacting with the online community(ies) more

He said something like "it will probably never be that we are posting everywhere everyday but we can do better at it"

- Supporting the KF forums more(?) and a general shoutout to that community and the work that the mods put in there.

At some point he said something like "if you guys feel like you need us on that level when it comes to promoting forum events blah blah blah then we can work harder to do that" (probably butchering that a lot) in regards to the 2 year birthday event that a lot of people there were complaining that they didn't acknowledge. Greg said he likes how they are an ongoing community that does their own thing without the guys being involved, but if they want more interaction from them there, they'll be better at it.

Joey Noelle could be useful in the case of just letting them know that certain stuff is going on at the KF forums if they're too busy to pay attention to it all the time.

I also found it surprising how they don't use their own forums much.

ST2K

Added a bullet point about Greg shutting out feedback due to the effect it was having on him. Think I got pretty much everything else though.

Their excuse is KFL/E3. Presumably, they expect to blow us out of the water with more content than we can handle after those.

I don't know how they know what content people actually want without taking in feedback, but we'll see I suppose.

That's why I think they need to reconsider KFL fo next year either scale it down to something like Beyond 300 or make it biannually.

Greg's made it very clear now that KFL is one of the most important things they do to him. It's not getting scaled back, no matter what the majority of people want.

-----

Also wanted to note after watching that stream that the KF Defense Force is real. It stunned me how many suck-ups there were. If they are as widespread as the KF guys claim, it's very troubling.

Mezoly

Also wanted to note after watching that stream that the KF Defense Force is real. It stunned me how many suck-ups there were. If they are as widespread as the KF guys claim, it's very troubling.

I noticed that too. I honestly believe Greg and Tim when they say that the majority that engage with them are happy. But here is the thing that they are not considering, is that whoever left still enjoy their content but there is a reason why their Patreon is losing subscribers daily and their Youtube viewership is abysmal compared to the Chanel subscribers numbers. I believe that there is a silent group that are not happy and it is showing in their numbers.

mrk8885

Banned
Yea that's exactly it. They can say people are happy as much as they want....but that's because the unhappy people are just leaving. That's the audience they may want to go after; the lapsed KF fans...Like apparently some of us here.

But instead they'll just ignore that and be falsely reassured by the defense force / suck up crowd.

Putting myself in their shoes, I understand the mentality of saying "hey, if you're unhappy, then go" because surely some people are NEVER happy. But I think by doing that, they don't seem to realize their alienating a lot of long time fans.

Oh well.

StoveOven

Banned
While I get (and sort of respect) some of the sentiment behind the "leave if you don't like us" line, I do think it's worth pointing out that a lot of this isn't just shitposting on Youtube or Twitch. If somebody is going to your own fucking forums to complain about things, then that is somebody who really cares about what you do and just wants it to get better. They're not leaving because they don't want to leave.

Mikey Jr.

You have a whole forum dedicated to your channel.

Bunch of dedicated fans who give you money every month.

You can't spend 3 minutes just posting in a few threads here and there on YOUR OWN FORUM?

Jesus, it's like telling them to move a mountain. He sends out like legit 50 tweets a day, but one forum post a day?

Ohh fuck, thats too much!

Then he makes excuses for it too.

Dunno, they kinda deserve some of the hate. Plus that whole "best friends" shtick really rubs me the wrong way.

The fact that the KF guys can't seem to distinguish between genuine feedback and shitposting sometimes is frustrating to say the least. The whole thing with the forum mod stuff is ridiculous and I don't think they realize the toxic effect their "just leave" attitude has on their community. How hard is it to just take the feedback you get seriously, apologize, and work to fix it? The communication just isn't there.

Been a long time follower of KF content, but if nothing changes after the KFL3/E3 rush, I'll be joining the rest of the lapsed KF fans in moving on.

Why not just make the forums THE definitive place to communicate to their audience and for their audience to have a place to discuss everything KF?
Leave the FB, reddit, twitter, GAF and discord to be handled by the community but have them know its not officially tied to KF.

Ive never seen a youtube team like KF struggle so hard handling their communities and feed back like they do. Some Youtube/twitch personalities have much larger fanbases and handle their own communities by themselves and not have the kind of issues KF are going through.

Maybe its time to drop the whole "Best Friend" shtick. When the guys left IGN, KF was small and intimate. We were invited into Gregs house to hang out and talk about games and batman and hotdogs. Now after the new studio, colin leaving and now this community issue, we are not best friends anymore but paying customers looking for entertainment.

Isn't Joey Noelle the CM? If I can spent a hour or two checking the GAF/Reddit and KF Forum threads can't she?

I was a patreon subscriber for the first 18 months then lapsed before going into final year of college. I used to I watch all their videos, listened to all their podcasts but I've hardly watched any KF content in the last few months with finals and projects going on.

I honestly can't see myself becoming a regular viewer/listener again if these the concerns many people here have pointed out aren't addressed.

El-Suave

I'm not a KF Patron but my mind was blown when I learned that KFL isn't even streamed live for members. I realize that that might be cost prohibitive but it makes the focus on that event more baffling to me. When Greg used the "if you care enough to attend..." reasoning multiple times to defend the exclusive nature of the event I shook my head because that line of thinking is removed so far from reality for most people.

If KFL is the thing they keep pointing towards on why they are too busy, then it needs to be scaled back. So they are spending all this time on an event that 99% of their audience won't be at, and at best have to wait up to a year to watch a recording of, if it is even recorded at all?

Isn't Joey Noelle the CM? If I can spent a hour or two checking the GAF/Reddit and KF Forum threads can't she?
This is secondhand knowledge, but I heard she is only works 10 hours/week in that role. Either way, she can check/gather as much as she wants, it's up to the main guys to act on what she presents.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wow this might be the first time ever that I can say Greg's come off as the asshole. Didn't think he had it in him.

Anyways guess I'm probably done with KoF. Time to just move on. At some point it's just not worth trying to hold on and I suspect many others are also at the same point.

mrk8885

Banned
Yea they've talked about how joey is only part time. She's been great in the interactions I've had with her. I just think given their size and recent issues, it should probably be a full time position.

I think the thing Greg said last night that hit me hardest was that this was Nick/Tim/Kevin's first time dealing with real internet hate after Colin left. Greg and Colin both reviewed games in the past and have been the target of really unhappy fans, but the other three really haven't had that microscope on them before. Greg even said on stream that Kevin took it too far in some of his forum/reddit posts and that those guys are getting a crash course in dealing with the hate.

He also said that he admits that after the Colin stuff happened, they've pretty much completely logged off the Facebook group, forums, reddit, etc because it got to the point where there was so much vitriol that they weren't even seeing the positive/constructive posts anymore.

The frustrating part of all of this is that they seemingly have some solutions ready to deploy, but they're holding off for an event that a lot of fans see as not worthwhile. Luckily, that's only three days away, so we'll be getting their new show schedule, new shows, etc this weekend.

I don't envy the position that they're in, but I can appreciate that they've been working hard to figure out how to replace PSILY and CWR in their weekly schedule and I'm excited to see what they announce this weekend.

As an aside, I've really enjoyed their content lately. The rotating guests have been great and Andy's Let's Play edits have been awesome. I'm just coming to terms with the fact that the KFMS in this format isn't for me, so I just stick to the weekly content now and feel like I have fewer complaints.

Thorrgal

It's profitable in terms of the show itself ie what they spend to put on the show vs how much they charge for tickets.

I don't doubt the show at least breaks even with the ticket pricing they got going.

The larger question is how the show effects the business as a whole. That's where most of us think it's a net negative. If only 1% of your audience is going, but it takes away time and energy for months that effects all 100% is it worth it?

Also what does KoF Live do to actually grow the brand? Nothing really. It instead is a double down on the super hardest of hardcore 1%ers. Not only that it turns off some of your other fans you already do have.

It's not 1%. They make money through patreon mainly, were they have around 7k and 5k patrons. I guess around 3-4k are patrons of both KF and KFG. I also guess people that go to KFL are patrons for the most part, and I'm not sure how many people go but prolly between 1-2k, so probably around 50% of the patrons not only like KFL, but go there.

So yeah, I'm sure it's very important both for them and their patrons

Greg's made it very clear now that KFL is one of the most important things they do to him. It's not getting scaled back, no matter what the majority of people want.

So is it just an ego thing for them at this point?
Here's this giant thing that is negatively affecting their content, that most of their fans will never go to, and that a lot of those fans are actively saying they don't want, but we've got to do it.

Zukkoyaki

It's hard not to feel as if Kinda Funny has become simply about them and what they want rather than the content/community which is what it was founded on. Very dangerous and short-sighted when your entire business is fan-funded.

Hopefully KFL3 brings real change.

mrk8885

Banned
Also apparently I was banned from the FB group when I left it voluntarily last week with this meme. Just thought I was being funny lol. Then today I thought I wanted to give the community another chance I was told I was banned. Lol ok. I figured since Greg jokingly calls fans and friends "pieces of shit" all the time this would be totally cool. But it's fine, I've got a baby coming next week anyway and probably shouldn't be messing around with all the drama in that cluster of a community.

IMG_4299.jpg

Top Bottom