• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

In all seriousness, how is KFL3 affecting their content? I feel like their podcasts have been as long as ever, if not longer, and I don't recall any of them coming out late or being missed altogether.

It still feels more like Colin's absence is what's affecting their content. They lost two weekly games-focused shows overnight in PSILY and Colin Was Right. The KFMS / C&GL was at it's most structured when Colin was on it, and his absence means a less-focused show overall (which the community as a whole seems split on).

Ultimately, I don't feel like KFL3 is affecting their content all that much, but the constant pre-roll ads and discussion about planning the show combined with Colin's recent departure makes it look like KFL3 is to blame.

If nothing else, I'm looking forward to seeing their announcements on Saturday as a representation of what their content will be moving forward. Hopefully they're planning a more topical show to take the place of PSILY, which Greg and Dunham seemed to hint at on the final episode of PSILY.

Poutine

Banned
Its really telling that people think post KFL3 will bring about some big change but I really doubt that. Like I said in the past no Colin no KF. They've got 4 guys currently on staff who don't have half the game knowledge as Colin. People want more industry insight as well as game coverage but without special guests the content we're getting is so much less than ur average joey donuts doing game coverage on youtube. So that just leaves their personalities of which most people only seem to love Nick and Andy at this point. What can really be changed to make KF better. I just don't see it. I don't think they know either.

You know, they probably wouldn't need more than 10 hours a week of a community manager if they'd stop doing things like lying to fans or asking fans to "please leave" when they get called out on lying. Just sayin'.
Also as others have mentioned I don't buy that Greg doesn't have time to check the forums when he literally tweets all day long. From what I can see, the forums are not that active, you could easily check it for 5 minutes a few times over the course of the day. You can't expect this community to develop on it's own and not put in the effort.

So is it just an ego thing for them at this point?
Here's this giant thing that is negatively affecting their content, that most of their fans will never go to, and that a lot of those fans are actively saying they don't want, but we've got to do it.

If they're absolutely not going to let KFL go, they need to at least scale it back. Make it every other year, or just take the spectacle down a notch so it doesn't affect the time they should be spending creating the base level of content and maintaining community relations.

I can see the benefit in keeping it around for hardcore fans, but they devote so much time and energy to something that only appeases their most core audience, to the detriment of everyone outside the event. It's just a completely unwise business tactic, especially if they want to see themselves grow as a business at the end of the day.

I also don't think the guys have any idea who the target audience for their content is anymore. The Gamescast is a general, evergreen show that is rarely satisfying to listen to as a game enthusiast, because the guys have a very narrow taste in games and don't discuss news often, if at all. And if I were an outsider and I stumbled across the KFMS by happenstance, I would honestly wonder why anybody wastes their time watching it. Just like KFL, it's predominantly tailored to just their most hardcore fans who are okay watching the guys goof off for an hour and a half without any substantial meat or debate to the show.

Blame the criticisms of KF on the "vocal minority" all you want, but at a certain point, the group of people who are leaving won't be the minority anymore. I honestly think the bulk of Kinda Funny's content, minus maybe the Let's Plays, needs to be taken way, way back to the drawing board. Their team has changed in a big way, and I think their content should adjust to reflect that.

It's not 1%. They make money through patreon mainly, were they have around 7k and 5k patrons. I guess around 3-4k are patrons of both KF and KFG. I also guess people that go to KFL are patrons for the most part, and I'm not sure how many people go but prolly between 1-2k, so probably around 50% of the patrons not only like KFL, but go there.

So yeah, I'm sure it's very important both for them and their patrons

In the bigger picture it really is that small of a percent of the fanbase. They have more than 200k YT subs, 100k Twitch follows, putting on a show for only 2k people is nothing and really does just cater to the most hardcore of fans.

Honestly, if they could pull off just livestreaming the event I feel people would be way more positive about the event. I know that is probably a very hard thing to do, but they talk about all this bringing the community together stuff, then have us wait a year to see the event doesn't feel like being part of anything.

mrk8885

Banned
It's surely tough to try and balance between appeasing your hardcore fans and accommodating the wider audience. Companies struggle with this all the time. I tend to fall on the side of "the hardcore will probably mostly stay with you regardless, so might as well reach for expanding the audience. "

Then again, I considered myself hardcore for years (starting in beyond times) and subbed patreon and bought shirts and merchandise and the changes still drove me away. So who knows.

Clearly I'm still interested in KF (it's like that breakup with a mate you can't quite get over) and I hope things change. But there have already been multiple cycles of "Problem / Uproar / Hope for Change / 'we hear you' / double down on hardcore suckup fans and ignore concerns anyways" so who knows how it'll end up.

When things are settled I see myself maybe listening to the new gaming podcast (assuming it's PSILY-like ) and that's about it.

Thorrgal

In the bigger picture it really is that small of a percent of the fanbase. They have more than 200k YT subs, 100k Twitch follows, putting on a show for only 2k people is nothing and really does just cater to the most hardcore of fans.

Honestly, if they could pull off just livestreaming the event I feel people would be way more positive about the event. I know that is probably a very hard thing to do, but they talk about all this bringing the community together stuff, then have us wait a year to see the event doesn't feel like being part of anything.

It's 1% of the fanbase, but 50% of the paying base. I think they should do what the oaying base wants.

I also think you guys have really thin skin...I just watched that Town Hall thinguie and mostly agree with Greg.

Edit: By agree I mean understand his point of view

Liamc723

It's 1% of the fanbase, but 50% of the paying base. I think they should do what the oaying base wants.

I also think you guys have really thin skin...I just watched that Town Hall thinguie and mostly agree with Greg.

You seriously think that every 1 in 2 Patrons attends KFL?

That's ridiculous.

ST2K

If you drop a zero from 2K you're much more close to the actual amount of people that show up for KFL.

As for the town hall, the gesture was appreciated and the format was good. But his answers were unsatisfactory and I don't know how you can say otherwise.

ghornett

Neo Member
I feel like I want to like KF more than I actually do anymore. I'm really hoping the announcements freshen up the place. I can't stand the silly slope we are going down. In the past the stupid sillyness was balanced out by thoughtful in depth ideas across all shows. Not anymore. Even last night the chat started serious and then just turned into herp derp candy Andy typical KFMS chat vomit. The Destiny 2 talk was a step up but I feel like it's few and far between esp on gamescast. I still hold on to hope like an ex without closure. I voted with my wallet but can't bring myself to just walk away.

Zukkoyaki

On a related note, this week's Gameovergreggy has been exceptional. Danny O'Dwyer is always amazing in whatever he does and Jared Petty is one of the best podcast presences I've encountered anywhere. He slays game talk, he slays fun talk and he slays serious talk. I genuinely want to meet that guy one day. He seems like the type of person who can make you feel good about everything.

Also, Andy has quickly melded with the group. I love having him on the podcasts.

In all seriousness, how is KFL3 affecting their content? I feel like their podcasts have been as long as ever, if not longer, and I don't recall any of them coming out late or being missed altogether.

Yup, this is my question. Their content is the same as ever when KFL is approaching. I also highly doubt that the majority of the fanbase is against KFL. The only thing it would slow down is actual new shows and stuff being rolled out since they like to make announcements there, but when it comes to their pre-established content, all seems fine on that front to me.

Mezoly

Yup, this is my question. Their content is the same as ever when KFL is approaching. I also highly doubt that the majority of the fanbase is against KFL. The only thing it would slow down is actual new shows and stuff being rolled out since they like to make announcements there, but when it comes to their pre-established content, all seems fine on that front to me.

They skipped some KFMS. Their podcasts have less KF members and depends on guests so other members could work on KFL3, this point is not necessarily negative but it's an effect. Being busy with KFL3 mean they are not playing games which directly affect the kind of topics they could talk about. Not available to listen to day to day feedback also affect tiny adjustment to the content.
You could also say being stressed is not good for the type of content they do.

Also apparently I was banned from the FB group when I left it voluntarily last week with this meme. Just thought I was being funny lol. Then today I thought I wanted to give the community another chance I was told I was banned. Lol ok. I figured since Greg jokingly calls fans and friends "pieces of shit" all the time this would be totally cool. But it's fine, I've got a baby coming next week anyway and probably shouldn't be messing around with all the drama in that cluster of a community.

IMG_4299.jpg

I just unfollowed the FB group, never understood why people feel they have to outright leave. Also never got why people posted that they were leaving, don't need to bring attention to it.

That said, the meme itself isn't bad, but with the amount that the FB mod team has to deal with, they have to stay consistent with the rules lest someone call them out for favouritism/letting things slide, and if I remember correctly, posting a meme (or maybe even posting to say you're leaving?) is against the rules.

mrk8885

Banned
I just unfollowed the FB group, never understood why people feel they have to outright leave. Also never got why people posted that they were leaving, don't need to bring attention to it.

That said, the meme itself isn't bad, but with the amount that the FB mod team has to deal with, they have to stay consistent with the rules lest someone call them out for favouritism/letting things slide, and if I remember correctly, posting a meme (or maybe even posting to say you're leaving?) is against the rules.

That's fair. I did it more as a "anyone else tired of this drama nonsense" post, and obviously I wanted to purposely poke at them a bit.

linds

Neo Member

I think most people bring this up because they feel like the guys arbitrarily hold announcements for KFL3, rather than changing or introducing new content earlier.

I'm sure some of it makes sense time-line wise to hold till KFL3. But there are things that don't make sense- like I believe originally Andy was going to be a KFL3 announcement but Kovic spilled the beans. Or when RSS feeds launched on Patreon and they waited nearly 6 months to have it as an anniversary announcement- when it was one of the most highly requested additions for Patreon and a barrier to many subbing.

They skipped some KFMS. Their podcasts have less KF members and depends on guests so other members could work on KFL3, this point is not necessarily negative but it's an effect. Being busy with KFL3 mean they are not playing games which directly affect the kind of topics they could talk about. Not available to listen to day to day feedback also affect tiny adjustment to the content.
You could also say being stressed is not good for the type of content they do.

That's true, though a few skipped Morning Shows is harldy a big deal to me, especially when it's it's a not too uncommon of an occurrence that they skip some shows when certain events come around. I personally think the Gamescast has been pretty great with the guests on. I don't remember them having an influx of guests on their shows like this when the other KFLs were coming around though.

jon_dojah

Banned
Patreons have went through for the new month. KF and KFG are down $2600 from a few days ago. Pretty huge drop on the eve of Kinda Funny Live 3.

Colin's Last Stand also down about $3250 which is by far the biggest month to month drop he's seen so far.

KF-$21,655 a month
KFG-<16,000 a month

KFL 3 couldn't come soon enough.

Patreons have went through for the new month. KF and KFG are down $2600 from a few days ago. Pretty huge drop on the eve of Kinda Funny Live 3.

Colin's Last Stand also down about $3250 which is by far the biggest month to month drop he's seen so far.

They keep going down little by little, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just end up settling at a new "normal" which will be totally fine for them. I still won't believe they're in any trouble unless their Patreons hit around half of what they used to average.

Also saw somewhere that Colin said he's "not going to sweat the money", it's good since if I were him I'd totally worry about making $350K/year vs. $400K...
eye roll

They keep going down little by little, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just end up settling at a new "normal" which will be totally fine for them. I still won't believe they're in any trouble unless their Patreons hit around half of what they used to average.

Also saw somewhere that Colin said he's "not going to sweat the money", it's good since if I were him I'd totally worry about making $350K/year vs. $400K...
eye roll
Im going to laugh so hard at tax time for colin. For a man who hates taxes so much, he is going to die when he sees the tax on a 400k salary!

Im going to laugh so hard at tax time for colin. For a man who hates taxes so much, he is going to die when he sees the tax on a 400k salary!

After watching that clip, yeah he's going to hemorrhage. I think it would be pretty tough to be self-employed and have to figure out how much to save for income tax etc. Thinking about this stuff makes me pretty happy to just have it taken off my paycheck, never have to give it a second thought.

After watching that clip, yeah he's going to hemorrhage. I think it would be pretty tough to be self-employed and have to figure out how much to save for income tax etc. Thinking about this stuff makes me pretty happy to just have it taken off my paycheck, never have to give it a second thought.
I just played around with a income tax calculator for Cali. At 400k per year he may have to pay between 40k to 50k. He is going to lose his shit LOL.

Thorrgal

If you drop a zero from 2K you're much more close to the actual amount of people that show up for KFL.

As for the town hall, the gesture was appreciated and the format was good. But his answers were unsatisfactory and I don't know how you can say otherwise.

The way satisfactory to me.

So only 200 ppl attend? That's a bit low. Anyway, the point still stands. Tha core patreon audience of 3-4k is (and has to be) their main focus and seems that they are more than content with KFL

ST2K

The way satisfactory to me.

So only 200 ppl attend? That's a bit low. Anyway, the point still stands. Tha core patreon audience of 3-4k is (and has to be) their main focus and seems that they are more than content with KFL

What did you find satisfactory about "We suck at interacting with the community, we don't know how to fix it, sry"?

And the core Patreon audience has been shrinking. I'm a Patron myself who's dropped his pledge significantly and will drop it altogether if things don't get better quickly. You can argue that plenty are OK with it, and that is the case, but a significant amount aren't and they're bleeding numbers because of it. Addressing their problems isn't going to piss off the people that eat up anything KF serves them either, so I don't know why they don't do something.

linds

Neo Member
When can we expect to see all their announcements tomorrow anyway?

Any timeframe?

Greg said as soon as he gets off stage from making the announcements he will be pushing the video live. Not sure the exact time though.

Zukkoyaki

Nick, Andy, Tim and Kevin did a Let's Play for Tekken 7 and I have to say, this is probably my favorite piece of Kinda Funny content in quite awhile. Just silly, well-produced fun. This is the type of content I think most fans want to see more of as they did waaaayy more of it when they first started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MumwMyRwvug

Not sure how long it'll stay up, but someone's streaming KFL3 on Periscope from the balcony right now: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1dRJZAnPmLmGB

YT Announcement Summary is Live! (YouTube Link):

Company/Business Announcements...

- They're hiring Tim's brother, "Cool Greg." Sounds like mostly editing/producing content, working for Kevin? Will free the guys up to create more shows/live streams.
- No more ads in the early access Patron podcasts!!!

News by show...

New Show: "Cooking with Greggy"
- Long requested cooking show with Greg (and sometimes Gen?)
- Starts in September, "Limited Episode Run"
New Show: "Kinda Funny Games: Daily" (PSILY Successor)
- 45 minute daily show. Starts at 11:45am PST every day.
- More structured than KFMS. Pure focus on games.
- Greg with a different rotating co-host each day: Tim Gettys, Andy Cortez, Andrea Rene, Danny O'Dwyer
New Show: "Party Mode"
- Regular release schedule.
- Group Let's Plays.
KF Plays
- This will continue to be sporadic, typically be developer let's plays.
KF Animated Series
- New Episode this week.
- I don't think they committed to season 2, but the stream was cutting out for me and they didn't address it in the YT video.
GameOverGreggy Show
- Keeping the same format.
- 4th chair will be for rotating guests.
- New $1/month Patreon tier will allow you to livestream the podcast while recording. Stream won't be archived, tier doesn't appear to include early access to YT/Podcast links.
KF Gamescast
- Will no longer have breakout videos.
- New schedule = Record on Thursday, Patreon post on Friday, Full podcast/YT Video on Monday. Allows it to be more topical.
- New $1/month Patreon tier will allow you to livestream the podcast while recording. Stream won't be archived, tier doesn't appear to include early access to YT/Podcast links.
Kinda Funny Morning Show
- Will now be a tight 45 Minutes (11:00 - 11:45am PST)
- They're planning to do more regular segments, renew the focus on movies, comics.
- Nick wants to do a Netflix pick that they'll all watch and discuss, Greg wants to do something similar with comics (sort of a book club). Not sure of frequency.
Kinda Funny Doodles
- New season starts in July.

Zukkoyaki

Not sure how long it'll stay up, but someone's streaming KFL3 on Periscope from the balcony right now: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1dRJZAnPmLmGB

Announcement Summary (updating live):

- KF Doodles is back
- "Party Mode" is a new show, looks like 4-player let's play videos
- They showed a clip from KF Animated Series. New Episode this week. I don't think they committed to season 2, but the stream was cutting out for me.
- They're hiring Tim's brother, "Cool Greg." Sounds like mostly editing/producing content.
- No more ads in the early access Patron podcasts.
- They're going to add a way to watch them record podcasts live (new patreon tier maybe?)
- "Cooking with Greggy" new show
- Party Mode sounds great, exactly the type of content fans seem to like the most. Great call!
- More manpower with Cool Greg is never a bad thing

- They're going to do The Animated Series whether it makes sense or not so meh
- The Doodles were dumb and I never understood the point of them. Just another waste of resources

Edit:
The cooking show and daily show are excellent calls!

- Party Mode sounds great, exactly the type of content fans seem to like the most. Great call!
- More manpower with Cool Greg is never a bad thing

- They're going to do The Animated Series whether it makes sense or not so meh
- The Doodles were dumb and I never understood the point of them. Just another waste of resources

Edit:
The cooking show and daily show are excellent calls!

I'm pretty sure they outsource the Doodles, so I'm not sure how expensive it is but I always found them endearing as someone who doesn't listen to every GoG episode.

Agree that the Cooking Show and Daily show are great calls.

ST2K

Super interesting announcements. Gonna wait for the video explanation to get all the details.

EDIT: Just occurred to me that a daily news show was part of Tim's original vision to split off from KFMS. This is more his company than ever.

Zukkoyaki

You know what, I was pessimistic going in but this new content and addition of Andrea and Danny as part-timers all sounds amazing. I'm legit excited now!

Dysun

Andrea and Danny are good pick ups if they will be on the show regularly. Other than that, it doesn't seem to change things up enough.

ST2K

Alright, yeah, everything they talked about with the Gamescast reformat and their new daily show sounds like exactly what a lot of people wanted, including myself.

Couldn't care less about some of their other announcements (I still dislike their short form Let's Plays and KFD seems completely superfluous), but that's OK. Hopefully Andrea and Danny can bring insight and give Greg something to bounce off of while Tim can really use the new format to dig deep with the Gamescast.

Everything looks good from here, let's see how it turns out.

Andrea and Danny are good pick ups if they will be on the show regularly.

Danny said he'll be on twice a week. I assume Andrea's got a similar deal.

Probably my favorite thing is them releasing the entire podcast in one video and not in chunks. It doesn't work well and the videos end awkwardly.

I can only hope they finally change the intro.

Top Bottom