• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect creators say technology supports only two players at a time

bj00rn_

Banned
Well, the more you "hardcore gamers" whine and bitch about Kinetic, the more I believe this thing will do pretty good in the market it's targeted for. ..I for one learned my lesson with the Wii.

Beth Cyra

bj00rn_ said:
Well, the more you "hardcore gamers" whine and bitch about Kinetic, the more I believe this thing will do pretty good in the market it's targeted for. ..I for one learned my lesson with the Wii.

Who is even doing that? Information came out we started to discuss it that is about it. Hell most people in this thread has said this is unimportant and it will sell anyway.

spats said:
None of this crap will reach the mainstream press and Microsoft will continue pumping hundreds of millions into marketing and this thing will be smashing success. To your average consumer this thing must be fucking magical.
What annoys me is how little play this is getting even in the gaming press, though I can't say I'm surprised given the nature of game journalism. You'd think it would have been Gamespot and 1up and the like that would have asked the hard questions that would have broken this story--instead it was Kotaku who got confirmation about the seating issue and Joystiq that broke this story days after the conferences. That's saying something.

bj00rn_ said:
Exactly. Just look at the PSP Go, GAF complained about all of its faults and that thing flies off shelves so fast you can't even see it moving.

Beth Cyra

duk said:
so if u want 3-4 players u have to get a second natal unit, or max is 2 players per 360?
It has to be the X360, remember when Micro pulled the chip out of Natal they made it so that the X360 is doing all the work. And if this is a problem because of CPU power then there is no way adding a second unit to the same X360 will help it.

Mr. Miyato

Neo Member
markot said:
I actually agree. But Microsoft seems to be showing alot of vids with 4 people wiggling in front of kinect >.< so... you know, it should be able to do it.

I agree too that they shouldn't show videos of it working (The Trivia Game from last years E3-commercial comes to mind, where the families compete against each other) when it clearly doesn't, I just don't see a lot of use for it when you can't even sit in your couch while you play :lol

Has Sony showed any Move games that has 4 people playing at the same time?

markot

Banned
duk said:
so if u want 3-4 players u have to get a second natal unit, or max is 2 players per 360?
I dont think so, its a 360 limit, processing wise, not the natal unit itself.

They took the chip out of natal and offload it to the xbox to bring down the price, so... yeah.

(Could be wrong >.<)

bj00rn_ said:

Do you not realise how stupid this sounds? I was one of the few who saw the Wii taking off when many bemoaned its potential for success but I'm rubbishing Kinect (just as Nintendo did) because its a shitty product.

This isn't the Wii.

goomba

Banned
For the record, I have played 4 player as well, it rules!. But not as often as I would like. Id probably trade 4 player for free online play.

I just wondered how many here have to weigh how much of a big deal that Kinect is only effectively 2 player.

duk

Banned
TruePrime said:
It has to be the X360, remember when Micro pulled the chip out of Natal they made it so that the X360 is doing all the work. And if this is a problem because of CPU power then there is no way adding a second unit to the same X360 will help it.

yeah that would make sense, kinda sucks but really... i barely ever play more than 1-2 ppl on 360 anyways

Wiseblade

bj00rn_ said:

but two players max isn't a "hardcore complaint", it's a real limitation that will put off a lot of their target demographic. It's already bad enough that they're entering the Wii's playground with a flagship model that costs at least twice the price of the leading competitor, but this is going to make a lot of families think twice about picking up Kinect.

Steroyd

Mr. Miyato said:
NSMB Wii and SSBB you would be able to play on a 360 though using the regular controller.

What games are there for Wii (and Move) that has 4 people standing up flailing their arms at the same time?

Doesn't the Wii mostly use gesture motion controls for the games?

If that's the case outside of point and click there really isn't any game that can't be translated to the controller.

When I think about it a little I have to wonder why MS hasn't jumped in on the 4 player co-op platformer scene hell even Sony has tried to capitalise that market with LittleBigPlanet and Modnations Racers to varying degrees of success.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
duk said:

You need two kinects, two 360s, two copies of the game, two TVs.

OMG! Someone figure out the cost!

~move-worst-case-price-stupidity-says-hello~

That said, wasn't kinect adventures supposedly doing 4 players? Or was that in a different way?

This is getting thoroughly confusing.
If you look at their own site, PrimeSense sell their tech on the basis that you navigate while sitting down, yet it's their own chip that does the skeletal tracking which only works for standing up?
Or is there simpler navigation tech we haven't heard about? If so, why isn't it being used yet, and what processing will the XBox be able to do with the raw data?

Alx

The Faceless Master said:
the tricky part is trickier. oh well...

Trickier to the point of maybe not being feasible on current hardware... I'm quite confident that the sitting people scenario can be solved on the 360, and the full tracking of people might be optimized to handle more than 2.
But I wouldn't bet that a 1:1 body tracking of a single person by image alone could be made fast and reliable enough for a game, even using 100% of the CPU.

I bet Microsoft Marketing will not even mention anything at all. It's not false advertising if nothing is said or shown to mislead from the actual product.

Guy: So will Kinect have 4 player games?
PR: Typical PR spin about how advance Kinect is and how it's a game changer.
Guy: Will I be able to play games while sitting.
PR: The same PR spin we got earlier about this issue.

Alx

gofreak said:
That said, wasn't kinect adventures supposedly doing 4 players? Or was that in a different way?

That's what I read too... but kinect adventures doesn't look like it needs body tracking, since it only uses the people's silhouette (to catch the tokens, trigger jumps,...). And according to the primesense guy, user segmentation is not limited in number.

Beth Cyra

Graphics Horse said:
If you look at their own site, PrimeSense sell their tech on the basis that you navigate while sitting down, yet it's their own chip that does the skeletal tracking which only works for standing up?
Or is there simpler navigation tech we haven't heard about? If so, why isn't it being used yet, and what processing will the XBox be able to do with the raw data?

As said earlier Apparetnly Micro has claimed that the software is all their own so it seems as though they are not using Primesene's software. Not only that they removed the chip from the unit and made it so the X360 does all the processing.

I don't know which is causing the problem, hell it could be a combination of the both. I am guessing that it is Micro's software since they say the sitting problem willl be fixed, and if it was the cpu then it wouldn't ever work because the cpu isn't there.

As expected. I always thought the "bububu NATAL haz 8 players MOVE am doomed" mentality was unrealistic. Kinect turns out to be more of a trainwreck every day.

snap0212

Crakatak187 said:
I bet Microsoft Marketing will not even mention anything at all. It's not false advertising if nothing is said or shown to mislead from the actual product.

Guy: So will Kinect have 4 player games?
PR: Typical PR spin about how advance Kinect is and how it's a game changer.
Guy: Will I be able to play games while sitting.
PR: The same PR spin we got earlier about this issue.
Eight Player Multiplayer*

*Only one person at a time.

longdi

Banned
More Kinect dirt is dig up and some publication can say Sony has the worst E3, where has the research and unbiased integrity gone to?

Beth Cyra

longdi said:
More Kinect dirt is dig up and some publication can say Sony has the worst E3, where has the research and unbiased integrity gone to?

Well they say bad press is better then no press and it is getting people to talk about Kinect far more then we are about move.

That said you got to think that most of these sites are assuming that Micro will either work out the issues before Kinect launches or they simply don't know about it.

Seriously they can't just be ignoring, after 4 years of calling out the Wii on shit that is far less negaitve then these new reveals and not to do so on Natal is fucking ludicrous and I hope that they have more integrity then that.

longdi said:

Out the window when they got free Slims.

Can't MS get in trouble for all the misleading ads? People sitting down, more the 2 players playing etc?

Guess they haven't played them on TV yet right?

Beth Cyra

Metalmurphy said:
Out the window when they got free Slims.

Can't MS get in trouble for all the misleading ads? People sitting down, more the 2 players playing etc?

Guess they haven't played them on TV yet right?

Maybe but as someone pointed out they in no way actually say that the people on the couch are playing, and they can easily say that it is people just getting into as the others play.

Alx

Metalmurphy said:

For the moment, there's no ad and there's no commercialized product.
When kinect reaches the market, if some of its features are not available, the ads will probably be changed to match what it does...

For now, all non live videos should be considerd with this disclaimer :

JimiNutz

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Exactly. Just look at the PSP Go, GAF complained about all of its faults and that thing flies off shelves so fast you can't even see it moving.

The only difference is that the PSP Go was targeted at us. It was supposed to be a premium version of a handheld primarily aimed at 18-30 year old males. We were supposed to be the ones buying it.

Kinect is not aimed at us at all.
We are clearly NOT the people that MS is trying to target here.
We see laggy hardware and shovelware software, target demographic sees 'finally no overly complicated controller!' and 'aaaawww look at that cute tiger game!'

Beth Cyra

Metalmurphy said:
Considering they are all sitting down and one guy does the "press button" action for the game how don't see how it can be perceived that way.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21977526&postcount=42

Okay but that is a preview from 2009 and it we know it doesn't work that way, but the thing is if you look back at what we saw from E310 they skated around these very things, no doubt because of the problems.

Go look at the trailers nothing ever shows someone directly playing one of the games while sitting on the couch or more then 2 playing at the same time.

NutJobJim said:
The only difference is that the PSP Go was targeted at us. It was supposed to be a premium version of a handheld primarily aimed at 18-30 year old males. We were supposed to be the ones buying it.

Kinect is not aimed at us at all.
We are clearly NOT the people that MS is trying to target here.
We see laggy hardware and shovelware software, target demographic sees 'finally no overly complicated controller!' and 'aaaawww look at that cute tiger game!'
Okay, you guys run with your theory that success can be predicted based on going with the opposite of GAF's reaction, and I'll stay here in not-fucking-crazy-town and judge products on a case-by-case basis, okay?

Graphics Horse said:

It's all very confusing, taking the wait-and-see approach seems to be the most reasonable thing to do at the moment. Either Microsoft will address the issues at their next big public presentation (Gamescom?) or we'll see for ourselves once the device is released.

JimiNutz

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
From what I gather from these arguments, Kinect is aimed solely at people who don't know what it actually does.

Maybe you’re being sarcastic, but I’d agree that this is actually true…

Maybe I'm being condescending, but I know plenty of people that get caught up in the gimmick, get sucked in by the advertising, and then buy something without even bothering to find out many of the finer technical aspects.

My ex gf wanted that Just Dance game.
I tried to explain to her that it wasn't actually dancing, that you just wave a remote around, and that it had poor song selection etc. (I did my research :lol)
She simply didn't care, and in the end I gave up trying to convince her otherwise...

So she gets caught up in the hype, buys the game, loves in for a weekend and then never plays it again...
Same thing as Wii. She played Wii sports in a shop, got caught up in the media hype, asked for one for her birthday, and it now sits in her brothers bedroom.
Now and then she'll buy a game, (she owns Wii Play, Wii Fit, Just Dance, and was given the console in its first year). I think in the yaer that I was with her she played her Wii maybe 2 or 3 times.

There are lots of people like this, which is why a good advertising/marketing campaign is just as important, if not MORE important, than the actual product itself.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, you guys run with your theory that success can be predicted based on going with the opposite of GAF's reaction, and I'll stay here in not-fucking-crazy-town and judge products on a case-by-case basis, okay?

You really can't see that there are some people that will eat this shit up?
Honestly if you'd told me 10 years ago that pet sims, brain training, and danicing games would have taken off, I'd have laughed in your face...

I'm not sure if Kinect is going to be a huge success overnight, but with the right marketing it certainly has potential.

ITA84

Metalmurphy said:
Considering they are all sitting down and one guy does the "press button" action for the game how don't see how it can be perceived that way.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21977526&postcount=42
That much they can still fix in a short time, recognising the push-button motion I mean. Whether it'll be the developers of the game or Microsoft themselves doing that, I don't know, but anything the PSEye can do, Kinect can do it as well, possibly with as much development effort. Four player full-body tracking games, probably not; half-body tracking, possibly: I bet they're working on that, who knows if they'll succeed.

EDIT:
NutJobJim said:
I tried to explain to her that it wasn't actually dancing, that you just wave a remote around, and that it had poor song selection etc. (I did my research )
She simply didn't care, and in the end I gave up trying to convince her otherwise...

So she gets caught up in the hype, buys the game, loves in for a weekend and then never plays it again...
Same thing as Wii. She played Wii sports in a shop, got caught up in the media hype, asked for one for her birthday, and it now sits in her brothers bedroom.
Now and then she'll buy a game, (she owns Wii Play, Wii Fit, Just Dance, and was given the console in its first year). I think in the yaer that I was with her she played her Wii maybe 2 or 3 times.
For this strategy to work with Kinect, it must be sold at a profit from the start, and even then it won't last as long as the Wii, being an accessory and all. With the bundles it could be used as a system seller, but still won't help Kinect last any longer, as developers will still have to make games basically from the ground up for it, unless Microsoft helps. Ultimately it's down to how much MS is willing to pour on Kinect, not only in the marketing department.

Beth Cyra

NutJobJim said:
Maybe you’re being sarcastic, but I’d agree that this is actually true…

Maybe I'm being condescending, but I know plenty of people that get caught up in the gimmick, get sucked in by the advertising, and then buy something without even bothering to find out many of the finer technical aspects.

I tried to explain to her that it wasn't actually dancing, that you just wave a remote around, and that it had poor song selection etc. (I did my research :lol)

There are lots of people like this, which is why a good advertising/marketing campaign is just as important, if not MORE important, than the actual product itself.

The big difference for alot of people here is that first weekend she had it, and the fact that alot of people stayed in love with the Wii alot longer then just a weekend and was able to spread that love.

The fear here I think is if Micro can't fix this (and assuming it is the CPU that is the problem for 4 players, they can't.) It won't even get that one weekend because as soon as people turn it on and they take there first break and try to do anything with it the thing will fuck up because it can't respond to you when you are sitting down, or they can't play with their whole family because it only supports two people.

NutJobJim said:
You really can't see that there are some people that will eat this shit up?
Honestly if you'd told me 10 years ago that pet sims, brain training, and danicing games would have taken off, I'd have laughed in your face...

I'm not sure if Kinect is going to be a huge success overnight, but with the right marketing it certainly has potential.
I'm not making a prediction one way or the other yet, because we don't even know the price, which is going to be the most important factor by far.

What I am arguing against is that just because hardcore gamers dislike something it guarantees success, which is what the knucklehead I quoted suggested.

JimiNutz

Banned
TruePrime said:
The big difference for alot of people here is that first weekend she had it, and the fact that alot of people stayed in love with the Wii alot longer then just a weekend and was able to spread that love.

The fear here I think is if Micro can't fix this (and assuming it is the CPU that is the problem for 4 players, they can't.) It won't even get that one weekend because as soon as people turn it on and they take there first break and try to do anything with it the thing will fuck up because it can't respond to you when you are sitting down, or they can't play with their whole family because it only supports two people.

That is a valid point, but honestly I'm not sure if only 2 players, and no stand up, is that big of a deal for the people that it's targeting.

I understand that families want to pay together, but they still can...
Mum and Dad play, then the kids get up and play while the parents watch and laugh.
My ex only had 2 Wii motes, yet all four of us (me, her, her brother, her Mum) used to play Wii Play or Wii Sports. We'd just take it in turns, and it was still fun.

As for the sitting thing, the games that are aimed at these people (animal games, mini games, sports games, dancing games) are played standing up anyway...
The menu navigation thing is a bit of a fuck up though, they need to certainly fix that.

Beth Cyra

NutJobJim said:
That is a valid point, but honestly I'm not sure if only 2 players, and no stand up, is that big of a deal for the people that it's targeting.

I understand that families want to pay together, but they still can...
Mum and Dad play, then the kids get up and play while the parents watch and laugh.
My ex only had 2 Wii motes, yet all four of us (me, her, her brother, her Mum) used to play Wii Play or Wii Sports. We'd just take it in turns, and it was still fun.

As for the sitting thing, the games that are aimed at these people (animal games, mini games, sports games, dancing games) are played standing up anyway...
The menu navigation thing is a bit of a fuck up though, they need to certainly fix that.

Yes but there is a big difference there, one you just hand someone a remote it takes all of a couple seconds and then everyone is having a good time again. Natal has to recalibrate and rescan someone, how quick is that going to be? Is it even going to have prompts for that kinda thing in between rounds of something like a turn in Mario Party?

gerg

Not being able to sit down when using Kinect's motion-tracking features isn't (much of) a problem if the games pushing the hardware, such as Dance Central, all require the player to stand up.

Not having more than two players playing at a time is a problem when the most similar games available on other platforms, such as Just Dance, feature up to four players playing at a time.

(Yes, Just Dance 2 brags of up to eight players "playing" at a time, but I'll believe that when I see it.)

JimiNutz

Banned
TruePrime said:
Yes but there is a big difference there, one you just hand someone a remote it takes all of a couple seconds and then everyone is having a good time again. Natal has to recalibrate and rescan someone, how quick is that going to be? Is it even going to have prompts for that kinda thing in between rounds of something like a turn in Mario Party?

That's true.
If the calibration takes ages, then yeah that's going to be really disruptive.
I have no idea how long it'll take for the camera to scan somebody though...

TruePrime said:
There are quite a number of video demonstrations of "jump-in, jump-out" gameplay with Kinect. Once someone stands in front of Kinect, I'd say it takes about 2 seconds before they're playing, at most. I actually think it's an advantage with Kinect. The Wii with motion plus needs to be recalibrated quite a bit ("Please put on a flat surface"), and so far Move looks to be the same. With Wii fit each game has to be calibrated for every persons individual weight.

Diffense

An idosyncratic product with various 'gotchas' pertaining to its use could really miss the mark with the very market it claims to be targetting.
The hardcore will more quickly tolerate and work around technological deficiencies than the 'casuals' who'll simply return Kinect and say that it doesn't work.
That's if they bother to fork out money for an XBox360 AND Kinect in the first place.

Wii was successful so this will be is simply not a good argument.
My suspicion is that most non-traditional gamers who were introduced to Wii were introduced by hardcore gamers who owned one.
Kinect, by it's very nature as a peripheral with very little hardcore potential will find this route hard to tap into IMO.
I can't even bother to elaborate all the other reasons why I don't see Kinect making waves because that'll take too much typing right now.

NYR said:
Just a general comment. Hardcore gamers (e.g. - GAF) are finding so much wrong with Kinect but what they keep failing to realize is they are not the target market for this product, not even close. Of course a traditional gamer is going to find something wrong with something that is not a traditional way of playing games, that is exactly what Kinect is.

Further, gamers seem to talk as if this so called "bad press" even gets to the actual target market - it likely doesn't because they don't care as much as we do. I was chatting to a co-worker about Kinect, and she was hyped, had no clue about the sitting down stuff. Even with that, she still wanted to try it, as she had put in her time with the Wii and was ready for the next thing.

You can list 100 things "wrong" with the Wii
- doesn't change the fact it is kicking the ass of the PS3 and 360 in sales. The Wii, just like Kinect, appeals to the morning show and talk show crowd - once they see it on the Today Show or Oprah, they all want to play it - even if they can only play two at a time.

No, you really can't. Whereas the things wrong with Wii are barriers to hardcore players only, the things wrong with Kinect are barriers to casual word of mouth AND hardcore players.

Rich!

Diffense said:
An idosyncratic product with various 'gotchas' pertaining to its use could really miss the mark with the very market it claims to be targetting.
The hardcore will more quickly tolerate and work around technological deficiencies than the 'casuals' who'll simply return it and say that it doesn't work.

Definitely. Not the same topic of course, but I had someone return a blu-ray player to where I work the other day, saying it didn't work, and it was no improvement to their DVD player.

'Have you got an HDMI cable?'

'No, why would I need one?'

Turns out they had been using composite cables. And no matter how much I tried to reccomend buying a £9.99 HDMI cable, they insisted the technology didn't work, it was a rip off, and that they wanted a full refund. I get stuff like this happening all the time, with various games related accessories and consoles too. What was especially stupid, was that they were offered the HDMI cable in the first place when they brought the player, and they insisted they didn't need it.

I, for one, am dreading the amount of hassle I'll have to put up with when Kinect is released.

Shanadeus

Banned
Off topic question:

Do you need to buy a separate power brick for the Kinect if you have the old Xbox?
Or will it be included?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Shanadeus said:
Off topic question:

Do you need to buy a separate power brick for the Kinect if you have the old Xbox?
Or will it be included?
It comes with it, the connection wire pretty much has an adapter to use for either.

Top Bottom