• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect priced at $150 in Microsoft's official online store

beast786

I have no idea why people are comparing Kinect with move. Its Wii Vs Kincet.

Anything above 200 dollar bundle with kinect and Wii wins. Simple.

And thats why I am 100% sure kinect is going to be alot cheaper than what people think.

Tormentoso said:
And i am the blind fanboy,so i wonder what cost most putting motion on the DS3 even that it suck,or not putting it at all,come one i am talking from a component point of view,the DS3 has motion sensors (not wii like) but have them,and has build in rechargeable battery,the xbox 360 controller lack any of those 2 components and still is $50 get my point now.

The first DS3 controller I bought stopped accepting charge a while ago. So I wound up buying another one because there is no way to swap out the battery. When the battery pack in one of my 360 controllers died, I just threw some double a's in it until I got a new battery pack.

venne

A Twisty Fluken said:
How many of those games require the balance board?

I doubt it's required for almost all of them, but what difference does that make?

Is GunCon a platform because there are multiple games available for it? What about Buzz! with its quiz games and mini games controllable only by buzzers? Was the Nintendo 64 Memory Expansion pack a separate platform? Some games wouldn't play without it.

I think you are trying to make a distinction between the two that is, at best, academic.

beast786

yankeehater said:
The first DS3 controller I bought stopped accepting charge a while ago. So I wound up buying another one because there is no way to swap out the battery. When the battery pack in one of my 360 controllers died, I just threw some double a's in it until I got a new battery pack.

yankeehater

n=1

Mael

Tormentoso said:
Not i don't act like $55 is cheap but then again,$50 for a 360 controller without motion or rechargeable battery look even worst,not to mention that $80 dollar controller.

xbox fanboys can't really speak of price gouging because of 50 bucks controllers but not the other much more overpriced accessories? give me a fucking break, the DS3 is a barely functionnal controller with a design that stems from some paradigm that is not longer used now 10 years later.
It's even worse when you break down the reason they push for why it's more expansive :lol
It's like you like paying for Premium stuffs.
I repeat the only reason why nobody cares about the price of the wiimotes is because of the multiplayer options that makes the games fun.
Same way why xbl is seen as "not overpriced" because it open up values for the consumer that they see as worth it (hence why xbl is such a big deal for x360 and why WiiPlay keep spanking every fucking accessory and games not called Wiisports).
The question was never about price but value, if the consumer see no values they will NOT buy.
As it is, the market has spoken : Wiimote : not overpriced.
If you have a problem with that, there's 2 ways for you : get an economy course or deport yourself in a country were the market is less free than this one.

Tormentoso said:
Look dude any one who cheer for the 360,can't actually talk about expensive thing and rape,Wii owners either, i know the PS3 came at $600 and still $300 now but is a much better value in almost every single department that the other 2 consoles are,probably even from a controller point of view.

And again the market disagree. If you're talking about values for the consumers, you don't get to chose if the consumers gets its money worth or not, the market gets the say.
If the product A is selling more than product B, chances are the consumers see more values in buy A over B.
The rest is fanboy banter.

I doubt it's required for almost all of them, but what difference does that make?

Is GunCon a platform because there are multiple games available for it? What about Buzz! with its quiz games and mini games controllable only by buzzers? Was the Nintendo 64 Memory Expansion pack a separate platform? Some games wouldn't play without it.

I think you are trying to make a distinction between the two that is, at best, academic.

Depends. Does Wiifit shares the same values as Wii, or the buzz accessory with the ps2?
As was shown this e3, kinect is fundamentally disconnected with anything that happened on the 360 before.
Hence it's a totally new platform.

pr0cs

yankeehater said:
The first DS3 controller I bought stopped accepting charge a while ago. So I wound up buying another one because there is no way to swap out the battery.
Yeah I'll never understand the love of an integrated battery.
My first DS3 after a year wouldn't hold a charge. I made the mistake of trying to replace the battery in it with my sixaxis battery (since the 6axis is shit) and there was no way in hell to figure out how to put the stupid fucking thing back together again.
I'll never be a fan of integrating the battery, it's a terrible design idea.

Tormentoso said:
Dude that doesn't mean that pros and cons can't be discus,it has been that way since i enter the thread,and i wasn't the first to complain about its weakness.

For starters more important than the price,is the fact that the tech has problem while you are sit on a couch,something MS has heavily advertise,since it was only know as Natal,hell people say that MS is going completely at the casual market,but that is now.

Because in the unveiling on last year E3 they clearly say how they would provide core gamers with a level of control they never dream possible.

In fact i tell you this last E3 from what i saw,it looked like MS was way ahead of sony's move tech,which only showed some empty bland demos,but now we know many things were faked,what we did not imagine is that they would continue to fake things this E3 as well with the tech been so close to release.

And refuse to come forward and spit the price,so close to release you have to see that.

Why would they come forward and state the price? It would be a lose/lose at this point. You have an audience that has a price in mind. Maybe $150 isn't it, but the second you announce a price you lose that interested group that does have a price in mind if it happens to go over that.

You're thinking this is some huge conspiracy. It's all free advertising. Kinect is what is being talked about ... everywhere. Is a lot of it bad? Yep, sure is. But you know what my girlfriend said when I told her it's having issues with people sitting (since I told her I was going to buy it for the menu controls and let her and her son do the other stuff) is "why the hell would you want to sit down during games anyway?" And she was referring to the ones being shown.

You just don't get it. Who gives a shit if the shows were faked, probably would have helped out Nintendo don't you think? I honestly don't even remember Sony's conference at this point but Nintendo and Microsoft stick out ... and of course Konami.

You are just so against it you can't see through your blind hatred for MS or Kinect that GAF IS NOT WHO THEY ARE GOING AFTER. Nobody that reads IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku or Giantbomb is in their target market for attention AT THIS TIME. They want people to watch it on Jimmy Falon, it will be on The Today Show, probably some talk show like Oprah or Ellen ... it's not us they want to get interested right now ...

Here's a summation of what I've seen:

Fuck Natal, I don't want motion control in my core games!
*E3*
Fuck Kinect, they didn't show me motion control in my core games!

Is the advertising misleading? Sure, but it's just a work in progress and those videos say "stuff will vary". People are tearing down a fucking concept video like it's the end-all be-all of what Kinect is. Some posters are going as far as talking about how MS is misleading the consumer and it's an OUTRAGE!! OUTRAGE I SAY!

We know so little that all this blind hatred 5 months before launch is stupid and unwarranted. I'm down for a discussion ... but a reasonable one. You're spouting shit about how they might RAISE the price and that the MC in the DS3 is actually worth something ... plus bringing in the ancient argument of "PS3 having more value" than any system ...

But please, do continue on your rampage, when there aren't the other anti-cheerleaders around, I guess you'll have to do.

pr0cs said:
Yeah I'll never understand the love of an integrated battery.
My first DS3 after a year wouldn't hold a charge. I made the mistake of trying to replace the battery in it with my sixaxis battery (since the 6axis is shit) and there was no way in hell to figure out how to put the stupid fucking thing back together again.
I'll never be a fan of integrating the battery, it's a terrible design idea.

I just dont get why some people try to push it like it is some kind of extra value for customers. The way the 360 and Wii handles batteries is much better. It is silly to me that people will argue that a DS3 should be more expensive because you cant swap the batteries.

FoneBone

flyinpiranha said:
Uh ... because it's a Kinect thread. Usually these things have people who are interested in the product ... or in this particular products case a shit ton of people just bitching about every random little thing they can see and make a .gif of.
Oh, please. If you want every thread to be a circlejerk you're welcome to go elsewhere.

Mael

FoneBone said:
Oh, please. If you want every thread to be a circlejerk you're welcome to go elsewhere.

Actually there's the Natal megathread for that
(btw Smith's latest is not out where I live I'll check my usual shopping to see if anyone is aware of that....)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
yankeehater said:
I just dont get why some people try to push it like it is some kind of extra value for customers. The way the 360 and Wii handles batteries is much better. It is silly to me that people will argue that a DS3 should be more expensive because you cant swap the batteries.

did you call sony when your battery died?

MechDX

JesseZao said:
I think I figured out this guy's "assigned" angle. He jumps into threads to spout pro-sony vom, while making anything he writes induce headaches. This then causes people to bail-out of the topic, no longer keeping themselves updated about the original topic.

He has been doing that for YEARS at another forum I used to post on. He just types gibberish nonsense until you get to the point you just stop responding. Then in his eyes "he won".

Mael said:
xbox fanboys can't really speak of price gouging because of 50 bucks controllers but not the other much more overpriced accessories? give me a fucking break, the DS3 is a barely functionnal controller with a design that stems from some paradigm that is not longer used now 10 years later.
It's even worse when you break down the reason they push for why it's more expansive :lol
It's like you like paying for Premium stuffs.
I repeat the only reason why nobody cares about the price of the wiimotes is because of the multiplayer options that makes the games fun.
Same way why xbl is seen as "not overpriced" because it open up values for the consumer that they see as worth it (hence why xbl is such a big deal for x360 and why WiiPlay keep spanking every fucking accessory and games not called Wiisports).
The question was never about price but value, if the consumer see no values they will NOT buy.
As it is, the market has spoken : Wiimote : not overpriced.
If you have a problem with that, there's 2 ways for you : get an economy course or deport yourself in a country were the market is less free than this one.

And again the market disagree. If you're talking about values for the consumers, you don't get to chose if the consumers gets its money worth or not, the market gets the say.
If the product A is selling more than product B, chances are the consumers see more values in buy A over B.
The rest is fanboy banter.

Depends. Does Wiifit shares the same values as Wii, or the buzz accessory with the ps2?
As was shown this e3, kinect is fundamentally disconnected with anything that happened on the 360 before.
Hence it's a totally new platform.

Say what so the DS3 is barely functional now wow,and i am the one been call fanboy here,dude the design for the controller is so damn good that MS was force to copy it,damn mate look at the 360 controller 4 shoulder buttons,2 analogues hell the DS3 and the 360 controller functionality wise are basically the same that good the design was.

No is because for year people have see the controller as something is necessary,a second controller is always a most in a console dude,since consoles started n o matter the price.

And live player pay for online play because there is no choice,either pay or don't play on a era where online play is so hardly push,what can they do,bu i am sure than if MS give the option to player to get silver free with online play but without the options like cross game chat and party invites many would be the ones not going for gold,but since there is no option you have to pay.

In other words what you are saying is that if people see Move and and Kinect and think the value is right,the whole argument of over priced means nothing,ok dude i can live with that.

I am not sure why you say i should deport my self to other country,maybe you are trying to find out if i am foreigner or want to know which country i am from is not the first time it happen to me because of my broken English,from Puerto Rico in either case a US citizen since i was born.

Instead of attacking me personal,take a break bread deep and calm down dude don't take it personal,is just and opinion.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
yankeehater said:
No. I didnt think they would do anything about it. Maybe I should have though.

I don't KNOW that they would have, but they made vague statements about that when addressing the issue of a non-replaceable battery. And you can technically replace it, just have to find the battery for purchase online, removal instructions are in the PS3 manual.

Tormentoso said:
Say what so the DS3 is barely functional now wow,and i am the one been call fanboy here,dude the design for the controller is so damn good that MS was force to copy it,damn mate look at the 360 controller 4 shoulder buttons,2 analogues hell the DS3 and the 360 controller functionality wise are basically the same that good the design was.

And the DualShock copied the SNES ... dude, this goes on and on. ALL controllers have the same functionality (for the most part) with the buttons, it's where you place those and how well they fit into a hand that matters ... and even then it's just preference. It's like computer mice, the basics of it are a scroll wheel, 2 side buttons, 2 face buttons ... doesn't mean all mice are the same.

The design was "so damn good MS was forced to copy it"? Heh, really? I'd say they took a cue from the Dreamcast controller way more than from Sony's controller. Even Nintendo abandoned that base design ages ago with the NGC and now the Wii in order to be more ergonomic.

Shit ... you really know how to derail a thread. We're talking about controller ergonomics in a thread about technology that DOESN'T REQUIRE A CONTROLLER.

Hats off to you sir.

Counter-trolling for Tormentoso:

This is one of those times when opinions can be demonstrably wrong. Especially Tormentoso’s. Again...

The Move is a solution looking for a problem. How is that “Sixaxis” thing working out for the “hardcore” games? Oh, that’s right…no one remembers Sixaxis…or wants to…especially Sony apparently… No one with a PS3 boycotted Killzone 2 or Resident Evil 5 because there was no waggle. The big selling point for Move? Being able to play traditionally hardcore games like Killzone 3, SOCOM and retro-fitted Resident Evil 5. Exactly what the PS3 (and 360) were already excelling at.

Sony cannot even convince people on a hardcore gaming forum that Move is not a black Wii for HD. Welcome to 2006. The only people worked up about Move are the console warriors who were impressed with text chat rooms last year. Even those folks were not demanding more Sixaxis support. And now waggle is the next great thing? The Move does not add anything to an already great experience. In effect Sony is preaching to the choir—their geeked-up army of Kevin Butlers.

Many of us on here who have 360s and PS3s will end up with both Kinect and Move. Eventually. That’s who we are. But how does Sony sell Move and a PS3 to a non-hardcore person, like a soccer mom or someone not already persuaded of PS3’s value right now? How do they explain that it’s different than the Wii likely already in their living room? “Oh look, a black Wii with a ball on top, isn’t that cute. It looks like my ‘shower massager.’” Try telling a soccer mom that a two-person Move setup will require 4 “wands” ($50 each), 2 nunchuks ($30 each), and a camera ($20), or some confusing combination of the bunch. That’s six controllers added to the living room, likely scattered on her precious living room floor. That’s six controllers to charge so add a powered USB hub and USB cables on top of that mess. And then explain it’s like a Wii but with serious hardcore games in HD. It’s like a Wii but with better Z-axis tracking. It’s like a Wii but with better gyroscopes. It’s like a Wii but… It’s like a Wii but… But, but, but…. Fuuuuuuuck…. Then tell them the Move is “hardcore,” most games will not actually require Move, and they can “design their own levels” in Little Big Planet 2. Good luck with that.

The sales pitch with Kinect? It sells itself. It’s the Wii/Move hand waggles vs. Microsoft’s full-body convulsions. The avatar on the screen jumps when you jump. Swing your arms and legs around and the avatar dances. Reach out and pet a tiger with your open hand. That’s it. Just put a camera in front of the TV and things happen. Magic. Will it be good for anything beyond dancing, rhythm and exercise games? Who knows…but it will be damn good at each of those.

In the end, there can be only…two? And that will be only Wii and Kinect. Possibly only Wii. Move is a me-too product from 2006.

If you think I’m wrong, enjoy Home and your text chat rooms. I hear those are still quite popular with some folks.

Penguin

Fourth Stooge said:

This is one of those times when opinions can be demonstrably wrong. Especially Tormentoso’s. Again...

The Move is a solution looking for a problem. How is that “Sixaxis” thing working out for the “hardcore” games? Oh, that’s right…no one remembers Sixaxis…or wants to…especially Sony apparently… No one with a PS3 boycotted Killzone 2 or Resident Evil 5 because there was no waggle. The big selling point for Move? Being able to play traditionally hardcore games like Killzone 3, SOCOM and retro-fitted Resident Evil 5. Exactly what the PS3 (and 360) were already excelling at.

Sony cannot even convince people on a hardcore gaming forum that Move is not a black Wii for HD. Welcome to 2006. The only people worked up about Move are the console warriors who were impressed with text chat rooms last year. Even those folks were not demanding more Sixaxis support. And now waggle is the next great thing? The Move does not add anything to an already great experience. In effect Sony is preaching to the choir—their geeked-up army of Kevin Butlers.

Many of us on here who have 360s and PS3s will end up with both Kinect and Move. Eventually. That’s who we are. But how does Sony sell Move and a PS3 to a non-hardcore person, like a soccer mom or someone not already persuaded of PS3’s value right now? How do they explain that it’s different than the Wii likely already in their living room? “Oh look, a black Wii with a ball on top, isn’t that cute. It looks like my ‘shower massager.’” Try telling a soccer mom that a two-person Move setup will require 4 “wands” ($50 each), 2 nunchuks ($30 each), and a camera ($20), or some confusing combination of the bunch. That’s six controllers added to the living room, likely scattered on her precious living room floor. That’s six controllers to charge so add a powered USB hub and USB cables on top of that mess. And then explain it’s like a Wii but with serious hardcore games in HD. It’s like a Wii but with better Z-axis tracking. It’s like a Wii but with better gyroscopes. It’s like a Wii but… It’s like a Wii but… But, but, but…. Fuuuuuuuck…. Then tell them the Move is “hardcore,” most games will not actually require Move, and they can “design their own levels” in Little Big Planet 2. Good luck with that.

The sales pitch with Kinect? It sells itself. It’s the Wii/Move hand waggles vs. Microsoft’s full-body convulsions. The avatar on the screen jumps when you jump. Swing your arms and legs around and the avatar dances. Reach out and pet a tiger with your open hand. That’s it. Just put a camera in front of the TV and things happen. Magic. Will it be good for anything beyond dancing, rhythm and exercise games? Who knows…but it will be damn good at each of those.

In the end, there can be only…two? And that will be only Wii and Kinect. Possibly only Wii. Move is a me-too product from 2006.

If you think I’m wrong, enjoy Home and your text chat rooms. I hear those are still quite popular with some folks.

Without picking on Sony fans, I pretty much agree with this assessment 100%.

Kinect looks the oddest, but between itself and the Move it has the greater potential to sell to a different audience

Fourth Stooge said:
...The only people worked up about Move are the console warriors who were impressed with text chat rooms last year...
I know you're being facetious, but was anyone actually impressed with the text chat? :lol

flyinpiranha said:
And the DualShock copied the SNES ... dude, this goes on and on. ALL controllers have the same functionality (for the most part) with the buttons, it's where you place those and how well they fit into a hand that matters ... and even then it's just preference. It's like computer mice, the basics of it are a scroll wheel, 2 side buttons, 2 face buttons ... doesn't mean all mice are the same.

The design was "so damn good MS was forced to copy it"? Heh, really? I'd say they took a cue from the Dreamcast controller way more than from Sony's controller. Even Nintendo abandoned that base design ages ago with the NGC and now the Wii in order to be more ergonomic.

Shit ... you really know how to derail a thread. We're talking about controller ergonomics in a thread about technology that DOESN'T REQUIRE A CONTROLLER.

Hats off to you sir.

Sure dude it copy the 4 diamond shape button,added 4 more shoulder buttons and the cross for pad,but on a design completely different from what the flat shaped Nintendo controller was,which felt much better than the flat Snes controller.

So on what part did the DC had the second analogue and 4 shoulder buttons,Nintendo abandon the controller because they could not achieve the wii kind of control with a controller like the GC or N64,they need it something like a pole,reason why Move is also shaped like a stick,and not like a DS3.

Mael

Tormentoso said:

No is because for year people have see the controller as something is necessary,a second controller is always a most in a console dude,since consoles started n o matter the price.

Except with that logic the gc controller is a copy of the dual shock when it's nothing alike, seriously 360 controller has more to do with the xbox controller which was basically the DC controller ++.
The design of the DS is a fucking disaster, seriously it's basically like the design of the psp : cumbersome and painful to use.
Nothing is placed where the fingers rest usually, the dPad is basically rendered useless I could go on and on like that.

And a second controller is useful when the highlight of your library is something like SF2 or a 2 player game, not online shooters and single player games.
the problem is more the library than the price.
with a few exception the ps3 and the 360 library are worthless for local multiplayer games hence other controllers are not that useful

Tormentoso said:
And live player pay for online play because there is no choice,either pay or don't play on a era where online play is so hardly push,what can they do,bu i am sure than if MS give the option to player to get silver free with online play but without the options like cross game chat and party invites many would be the ones not going for gold,but since there is no option you have to pay.

In other words what you are saying is that if people see Move and and Kinect and think the value is right,the whole argument of over priced means nothing,ok dude i can live with that.

If people thought they were ripped off they would have stopped playing a long time ago, people are not as dumb as you can think they are.

Kinect and Move will come and go, so far nothing shown so far is indicating that they'll be a good factor on any of the respective systems.
Speciffically they seem to treat their customers like morons (seriously some stuffs look like Deca Sports rejects) which doesn't speak like they have any confidence in their product (and sony is pretty much fucked up with their 3d stuffs if you ask me)

Tormentoso said:
I am not sure why you say i should deport my self to other country,maybe you are trying to find out if i am foreigner or want to know which country i am from is not the first time it happen to me because of my broken English,from Puerto Rico in either case a US citizen since i was born.

Instead of attacking me personal,take a break bread deep and calm down dude don't take it personal,is just and opinion.

Actually I don't care where you're from, thing is you're most likely from a place where the consumerist way of life is in place.
Getting your panties in a bunch because you don't understand why people don't buy the product you prefer shows that as a consumer you don't undrstand the notion of choice in free marker.
Hence if you don't like free market : North Korea is that way -->[]

Vinci

Danish
Penguin said:
Kinect looks the oddest, but between itself and the Move it has the greater potential to sell to a different audience

Even I agree with this, and I think Kinect is largely going to fail at its purpose.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Came to read what was going on, saw 3 posts by Tormentoso and now I'm off to check myself into a mental hospital to see if my brain still functions normally.

Isn't this more damaging to Kinect than even the price?

Kotaku said:
Rigopulos said that the team is looking into the possibility of bringing Dance Central to the Playstation 3 with the help of Move. We think it's possible, he said.

The Wii? Not a chance..

A successful port would really expose Kinect as a dead end, IMO.

Tormentoso said:
Sure dude it copy the 4 diamond shape button,added 4 more shoulder buttons and the cross for pad,but on a design completely different from what the flat shaped Nintendo controller was,which felt much better than the flat Snes controller.

So on what part did the DC had the second analogue and 4 shoulder buttons,Nintendo abandon the controller because they could not achieve the wii kind of control with a controller like the GC or N64,they need it something like a pole,reason why Move is also shaped like a stick,and not like a DS3.

So it's OK for Sony to copy Nintendo with some tweaks and additions like Analog after N64 added Analog but MS copying Sony who copied Nintendo is just fucking wrong right bro?

Oh, and the SNES had shoulder buttons.

Penguin

lowlylowlycook said:

A successful port would really expose Kinect as a dead end, IMO.

You know I know this isn't the thread for it, but I got to say that is the most bizarre logic this generation.

"Yeah we got Dance Central up and running on Kinect, and we're gonna see if its possible on the PS3! But the console that has been able to sell damn near 3 million copies of a dance game, and that already has an audience, no we won't even bother trying!"

cakefoo

I can't believe people are getting worked up arguing with Tormentoso. Don't even read his posts ffs. It's not worth it. All you're getting is the satisfaction of knowing you think more logically than him. It's like winning a fist fight against a first grader.

cakefoo said:
I can't believe people are getting worked up arguing with Tormentoso. Don't even read his posts ffs. It's not worth it :lol

Killing time. He's entertaining. This thread was almost dead until he showed up.

lowlylowlycook said:

Heh MS would probably revel in showing the benefits of being able to play a dance game hands free vs. holding the Move controller(s).

McHuj

Penguin said:
You know I know this isn't the thread for it, but I got to say that is the most bizarre logic this generation.

"Yeah we got Dance Central up and running on Kinect, and we're gonna see if its possible on the PS3! But the console that has been able to sell damn near 3 million copies of a dance game, and that already has an audience, no we won't even bother trying!"

I'm assuming they think it's not possible on the Wii because of no camera attachment.

I'm also assuming that they would try to use the Eyetoy and write their own motion tracking algorithms for it.

MS should buy exclusivity for that game. IMO, it's really the only killer app for Kinect.

Vinci

Danish
KernelPanic said:
Heh MS would probably revel in showing the benefits of being able to play a dance game hands free vs. holding the Move controller(s).

I don't see why. Move and Kinect aren't really competing with one another.

Raydeen

Wii and Kinect...they finally toll the bell on videogaming for me. Grown indifferent as I grow older..apart from Valve's offering and Fallout 3, I can't see anything to look forward to and I'm sorry, but videogaming is supposed to be a relaxing hobby - if I actually want to run a marathon for Summer Games 2012 around London, I'll put on my Reeboks and do it for real, not jog around like a cunt infront of my TV.

This thread seems to have got to the point where only the most extreme people on each side of the fence are left arguing about it. Not that I can figure out exactly whats being argued at the moment. :lol

Vinci

Danish
Raydeen said:
Wii and Kinect...they finally toll the bell on videogaming for me. Grown indifferent as I grow older..apart from Valve's offering and Fallout 3, I can't see anything to look forward to and I'm sorry, but videogaming is supposed to be a relaxing hobby - if I actually want to run a marathon for Summer Games 2012 around London, I'll put on my Reeboks and do it for real, not jog around like a cunt infront of my TV.

It's not like all games are going to force you to stand up and spasm like a maniac. Hell, you can play virtually any game for the Wii sitting down. Can you try to be rational please?

Raydeen said:

Good point. I heard all the developers making core games right now scrapped all of their resources and are making Olympic games.

Don't be so dramatic. MS, Sony, and for the most part Nintendo haven't abandoned anything. They are just reaching out to a larger demographic.

Vinci said:
I don't see why. Move and Kinect aren't really competing with one another.

They're futilely both going after the Wii market, I'd say yes they are competing. I'm sure neither console manufacturer wants the others' solution to succeed either.

cakefoo said:
I can't believe people are getting worked up arguing with Tormentoso. Don't even read his posts ffs. It's not worth it. All you're getting is the satisfaction of knowing you think more logically than him. It's like winning a fist fight against a first grader.

It actually hurts my head to read them since not only can I not decode the broken English but I have no clue 99% of the time WTF the guy is even talking about. He reminds me of the homeless guy who yells random stuff at people when I get on the subway to work.

Vinci

Danish
KernelPanic said:
They're futilely both going after the Wii market, I'd say yes they are competing. I'm sure neither console manufacturer wants the others' solution to succeed either.

If Sony is going after the Wii market, they are doing so in a very half-assed manner. They are nowhere near trying as hard to do that as MS is. And of course they don't want each other to succeed - they're competitors in general. But their motion solutions are dramatically different and the software being showcased for both are targeting different markets.

Fourth Stooge said:
Will it be good for anything beyond dancing, rhythm and exercise games? Who knows…but it will be damn good at each of those.

I've not seen enough to say with any certainty that natal will be any good at rhythm, exercise or dancing games either. The software I've seen tells me the Wii does it better.

I agree with your general sentiment regarding public appeal. Natal has that "gee-wiz" factor going for it, and will probably do better in th market than Move. But I get no real enjoyment out of sales (wish I could find a forum where no sales talk was allowed), so I don't care.

The last part I quoted is just you being a silly. There are many people who enjoy Home, and it seems to be profitable for Sony. It's the Market speaking again.

Hopefully Natal will attempt to cater to someone like me: someone in between casual and ultra-hardcore, who already has a Wii. Until then, Move is at least trying to use the new controls in the genres I prefer.

Vinci said:
If Sony is going after the Wii market, they are doing so in a very half-assed manner. They are nowhere near trying as hard to do that as MS is. And of course they don't want each other to succeed - they're competitors in general. But their motion solutions are dramatically different and the software being showcased for both are targeting different markets.

Yeah it's half assed but it's still a target. MS is going after that market exclusively whereas Sony seems to be trying to please everyone.

But they're both trying to broaden the appeal and extend the lifetime of their respective console, by copying Nintendo.

I'd say Kinetic has a better chance of success but it's still 4 years too late.

Fourth Stooge said:

Lets start with that bold par.

First all what i have read from move is not bad at all,in fact some articles already claim is not a HD wii,they have been posted on this very forum,so i don't know how you miss them,but i wonder why would sony have a much harder time trying to catch those Wii fans,with something similar to the Wii,than MS will with something already sony proved it doesn't work,try to put it as pretty as you want,Kinect is just an evolve version of the PS3 eye or another case and Eye Toy,something sony could not make succeed even when they owned the damn market,and they unlike MS did not had 40 million units install base when the console was almost 5 years old,they had like 80+ millions and tons of casuals.

So pardon me if i don't see the theory of sony doing bad with Move, for something that is supper hot on the other console which is the market leader now,to believe that Kinect would probably succeed with something sony has use for the last 2 gens and hasn't been able to make it fly,even more when almost all that it has been show are mini games exactly what sony did with the Eye Toy.

How can sony convince soccer mom i don't really have an answer for that completely,but if soccer mom wasn't worry about spending $99 dollar for a single game on Wii with a balance board,and spending $80 dollars for a complete 3 piece set controller,i don't see her putting to much worry on that move price.

But is funny you even bring a point of controller been trow every where on the floor,dude that is weak and pathetic,soccer mom should keep her house clean,hell how that doesn't apply to the Wii i would love to hear your answer,since the wii has 2 separate controller that can cause as much mess,oh yeah even more since those 2 to work need a cable to link them,while move link with the sub controller without wires.

I love how price argument apply to move but not to the Wii $80 controller and a $100 dollar balance board that is barely support,even more i love the whole mess on the floor argument,when the wii controllers need cables to be link,while move doesn't.

Also i don't think soccer mom will have to much difficulty seeing how different the tech are,once they see them running,the Eye Pet alone can make that work much easy.

And to address that last bold part.

That is the point you jump Kinect lags first then your avatar jump,you move kinect lags first again them move,you don't move and Kinect just move on his own,haven't you see what has been demo already,that show with the I Carly girl,it shows heavy lag,and showed how the avatar was moving even when she wasn't.

Maybe should look at it this way,casual don't know the difference between Kinect and the PS3 Eye,for many of the the PS3 will appear to have something like Kinect and something like the wii,where ever you like to admit it or not,most casual would probably now recognize the different between Kinect and the PS3 eye.

Vinci

Danish
KernelPanic said:
Yeah it's half assed but it's still a target. MS is going after that market exclusively whereas Sony seems to be trying to please everyone.

But they're both trying to broaden the appeal of their respective console, by copying Nintendo.

I'll agree with that. I'm just saying that, between the two, the one most aggressively courting the Wii's market is MS. I think they're doing this somewhat foolishly, but who knows? It might work a little.

Move, on the other hand, seems like it will appeal to pre-existing customers. There's just not enough focus software-wise on the mainstream audience.

Top Bottom