• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of FIghters XIV: Rock Howard DLC Trailer

PSqueak

Banned
Y'all stay trying to rationalize this shit when we have a SamSho character from like the 16th century or whenever in this game.

lmao

They literally explained why she's there, hence me suggesting Rock would be the DLC for their team, not hard to say the same forces that pulled Nakoruru, Mui and Love into the KOF present did the same for Rock pulling him from the future.

No this?

szwama4.gif

Skilletor

They literally explained why she's there, hence me suggesting Rock would be the DLC for their team, not hard to say the same forces that pulled Nakoruru, Mui and Love into the KOF present did the same for Rock pulling him from the future.

That's exactly my point. They created something that can logically explain any character's appearance in this game. There's no need for people to be try and say Rock should only be 10 or 11 when they have a story reason for literally any character they want from any when they want to be in the game.

Did you not watch the trailer? lol

Yannick

Neo Member
For those who are up in arms about the characters that are in the game, I'm pretty sure XIV is in the designated space for a dream match entry. KOF story arcs usually last 2-3 games and then the following game will be a dream match deal, where they resurrect or recreate older, injured or dead characters for a big hootenanny. XIII finished off the Ash Crimson arc, so I think XIV is just our dream match game for this cycle.

BadWolf

For those who are up in arms about the characters that are in the game, I'm pretty sure XIV is in the designated space for a dream match entry. KOF story arcs usually last 2-3 games and then the following game will be a dream match deal, where they resurrect or recreate older, injured or dead characters for a big hootenanny. XIII finished off the Ash Crimson arc, so I think XIV is just our dream match game for this cycle.

XIV isn't a dream match, it's the first entry in a new story arc.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
When am I gonna be able to play my gen-an, Mai, and Andy team in kof snk?

But in all realness, it's about time rock was playable in snk. Seeing Gato in before him felt dirty

sibarraz

Banned
KOF has always been a game were the fatal fury/art of fighting timeline never mattered, you didn't even need to mention nakoruru to explain why rock is here.

SNK fans are like Zelda fans when talking about timelines, they always try to connect dots were there shouldn't be any

PSqueak

Banned
KOF has always been a game were the fatal fury/art of fighting timeline never mattered, you didn't even need to mention nakoruru to explain why rock is here.

SNK fans are like Zelda fans when talking about timelines, they always try to connect dots were there shouldn't be any

Well, take in account that lil Rock has been on terry's victory pose in previous KoF games.

It's weird that he suddenly is grown but nobody else has aged.

KiteGr

I was seriously expecting Shingo...
As much as I like Rock, I think this game needed more Shingo. The Dan of Fighters!

GrayFoxPL

Well, take in account that lil Rock has been on terry's victory pose in previous KoF games.

They age backwards, like in Tekken.

Btw. Which was the KOF where kid Rock showed up with Terry?

BFA

They age backwards, like in Tekken.

Btw. Which was the KOF where kid Rock showed up with Terry?

2001 and 2002. Both Eolith games, so I wouldn't really consider that canon. Although an early teen Rock showed up in the 2003 Fatal Fury team ending.

BadWolf

2001 and 2002. Both Eolith games, so I wouldn't really consider that canon. Although an early teen Rock showed up in the 2003 Fatal Fury team ending.

Which is funny since in 2003's intro he's shown as still being a little kid.

Either way, just going by the age that Geese looks in XIV, it makes sense for Rock to be the age that we know him to be.

GrayFoxPL

2001 and 2002.

So if, say he was like 10 back then and he's 16-17 in KOFXIV. Then 6-7 years difference between tournament from KOF 2001 and KofXIV would be pretty easy to swallow and aging would be minimal, in a fighting game especially. Canon or not.

Jaeger

It's been known since day one KOF is not the same timeline as AOF/FF. I think the people confused about Rock are new to the series.

We don't know if that was him or if it was what his intended age was. We also don't know how much time has passed since that game he appeared in.

----

AOF1 takes place in the 70's. KOF starts in the 90's. So everyone is 20 to 30 years younger than the original versions here.
Geese is alive. He is killed in FF1.

Ashilyn

My body is ready.

Vanessa/Rock/Vice all day long. As much as I like Shingo, this is a character I'll actually play and use, I'm so excited. Only thing that could've made this better was it being Mary instead.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm excited for Rock, but I can't be the only one bothered by the change to his Shine Knuckle SDM can I?

Bothered how? The fact he does a non-inverted Rising Tackle, different uppercut, and ends it with a variation of his Rage Run Dunk Smashdown? Considering Shun'Ei has the basic Shine Knuckle DMs already, I'm actually pretty happy to see his look different. The energy explosion still seems to be basically the same, and much like with Vanessa, they did a solid job adapting the very 2D / Pixel art-like way they "warp" in their movements.

It's nice to see they're not so afraid of alienating old fans, that they won't try and improve or shift details around.

I'm actually more interested on if he has the same varieties of his Hard Edge Special. And if Shinkunage is something like a HCB,F motion now. Attack Grapple or Instant throw? Does he have breaking out of it? Does he have his T.O.P move as a normal special now?

BadWolf

Hopefully he is more CVS2 Rock than Garou Rock. He was kinda booty in Garou.

From Oda:

I do want to emphasize one more important point! Fans of the character already know this, but Rock Howard was actually fairly weak and considered low-tier in Garou: Mark Of The Wolves. I can say with all confidence that is not the case with his appearance in KOF XIV!

Amedo310

That mid/air counter attack is not instant after it counters something. There are a few frames for the opponent to move before the attack connects. So, it is more like his Garou counter version.

Loona

Needs Terry MoTW costume to make it complete.

Unlikely, since his Climax super animation involves him adjusting his hat, unless they keep that along with his Garou outfit, or change the animation for that one move - they've tweaked sounds for Kyo and Geese's alternate skins, but this would be something else...

Top Bottom