• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D - TGS 2011 Information Thread [Neku Sakuraba And Details]

duckroll

This will be the central depository for all news, impressions, videos, previews, etc of the game from TGS. There's nothing here yet, but I'll update the OP with stuff as they come in. If you see something cool, feel free to post it so I can add it to the OP!

I'm so hyped for this game! Finally we get to see real gameplay footage for the first time! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! ^_^

Information

Gameplay footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpt5XBskaD4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij0QiLp-LiI

Lord Nomura-sama rules, Jeremy Parish drools:

(The controls are identical to BbS and has lock on)
LQ42Y.jpg

http://www.1up.com/previews/kingdom-...d-tgs-hands-on

Jeremy Parish said:
Neku appears as a guest character in Sora's side of the TGS demo -- though not a playable guest. Both Neku and his rival/friend/frienemy Riku team up with captured dream-monsters this time around rather than fighting alongside licensed characters. Neku's role is more that of the Disney-world guests from previous games. He shows up, reveals that he's caught in a "game," leaving him 43 minutes to win or die. Naturally, he asks Sora to be his partner but ultimately decides the tousle-haired protagonist is "a weird guy" and takes off. Sora follows, riding rails in pursuit of Neku, but quickly encounters a boss battle set in a cul-de-sac of Traverse Town.

Both sides of the demo (Sora and Riku) are essentially the same, really: A brief story set-up, a few set encounters, and a boss fight. Riku interacts with Quasimoto from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is admittedly less interesting than Neku; on the other hand, Riku has a double-jump, which is always great. The demo is just enough to give a feel for what KH3D adds to the series. While the camera is still a hyperactive mess that makes boss battles a pain (all the 3DS's buttons are used, so there's no lock-on system that I could find), everything else about the game feels significantly improved over previous Kingdom Hearts. The action is fluid and smooth, with much more refined combat. Fighting enemies feels less like combo-driven button mashing that locks your hero into canned animations than in previous installments, and your skill set has been improved considerably. Both demo characters possess a standard repertoire of magic skills such as Cura and Blizzaga, which are activated and cycled through as they were in Birth By Sleep, but they also can perform special Dual Link attacks with their partners by pressing Y.

Dual Link skills are context-sensitive and seem to vary according to your current partners, enemies, and positioning. You can pull off different skills while on the ground or in the air. A key part of these skills seems to be something called (inexplicably) Holy Rope, which are a series of nodes placed around battlefields. Pressing A and X while near one of these Holy Rope points freezes the action and allows you to use the touch screen to draw connections between points on the area map, which then sends Sora or Riku dashing through the air along the prescribed course. Using the Holy Rope paths to intersect foes allows you to pull off standard or special attacks while they're otherwise out of reach.

The TGS demo of Dream Drop Distance is fairly brief -- about 20 minutes to complete both portions -- but shows a game that looks and plays beautifully. Square hasn't formally announced a U.S. release date for KH3D, but the notion that they wouldn't localize such a sure hit is enough to get a man laughed out of the room. Honestly now.

duckroll said:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201109/15050329.html

Trailer description is finally up. Okay part of the story in KH3D is about "the world buried in sleep" where Sora and Riku perform their mark of mastery. The enemies in the game are Dream Eaters, which are creatures who eat your dreams. The round dog-like thing is indeed a pet companion in the game, and it can be seen floating around Sora and following him around as he performs actions in battle. It's extremely cute, and you can interact with it using the camera function (AR) and the touchpen. At the end of the trailer is apparently a scene from Xehanort's point of view, where he sees Braig talking to him asking him if his memory has returned.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/1...ures-characters-from-the-world-ends-with-you/

The TGS demo has two parts. In Sora’s episode, you start in Traverse town. Sora calls for Riku, but finds Neku instead who is hanging from a roof. He jumps down and shows Sora the number on his hand and mentions he needs a partner to play the Reapers’ game with.

Neku from TWEWY is in KH3D! :eek:

Booth photo:
K3x3X.jpg

New costume designs for Sora and Riku, and the game is coming Spring 2012!

39819941646sf.jpg

Via Kagari and: http://twitpic.com/6l2smw

Via miladesn: http://www.1up.com/previews/kingdom-hearts-3d-tgs-hands-on

Jeremy Parish said:
Neku appears as a guest character in Sora's side of the TGS demo -- though not a playable guest. Both Neku and his rival/friend/frienemy Riku team up with captured dream-monsters this time around rather than fighting alongside licensed characters. Neku's role is more that of the Disney-world guests from previous games. He shows up, reveals that he's caught in a "game," leaving him 43 minutes to win or die. Naturally, he asks Sora to be his partner but ultimately decides the tousle-haired protagonist is "a weird guy" and takes off. Sora follows, riding rails in pursuit of Neku, but quickly encounters a boss battle set in a cul-de-sac of Traverse Town.

Both sides of the demo (Sora and Riku) are essentially the same, really: A brief story set-up, a few set encounters, and a boss fight. Riku interacts with Quasimoto from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is admittedly less interesting than Neku; on the other hand, Riku has a double-jump, which is always great. The demo is just enough to give a feel for what KH3D adds to the series. While the camera is still a hyperactive mess that makes boss battles a pain (all the 3DS's buttons are used, so there's no lock-on system that I could find), everything else about the game feels significantly improved over previous Kingdom Hearts. The action is fluid and smooth, with much more refined combat. Fighting enemies feels less like combo-driven button mashing that locks your hero into canned animations than in previous installments, and your skill set has been improved considerably. Both demo characters possess a standard repertoire of magic skills such as Cura and Blizzaga, which are activated and cycled through as they were in Birth By Sleep, but they also can perform special Dual Link attacks with their partners by pressing Y.

Dual Link skills are context-sensitive and seem to vary according to your current partners, enemies, and positioning. You can pull off different skills while on the ground or in the air. A key part of these skills seems to be something called (inexplicably) Holy Rope, which are a series of nodes placed around battlefields. Pressing A and X while near one of these Holy Rope points freezes the action and allows you to use the touch screen to draw connections between points on the area map, which then sends Sora or Riku dashing through the air along the prescribed course. Using the Holy Rope paths to intersect foes allows you to pull off standard or special attacks while they're otherwise out of reach.

The TGS demo of Dream Drop Distance is fairly brief -- about 20 minutes to complete both portions -- but shows a game that looks and plays beautifully. Square hasn't formally announced a U.S. release date for KH3D, but the notion that they wouldn't localize such a sure hit is enough to get a man laughed out of the room. Honestly now

duckroll

Shadowlink said:
Didn't we see real gameplay footage already? Anyways, I can't wait for some new footage!

We saw some offscreen footage of Nomura playing the game on his 3DS the other day after the Nintendo conference, but nothing detailed.

Andrefpvs

I'm hyped as well!

This is probably the only 3DS-announced game that I'll absolutely must have!

So yeah, hurry up, redesign :p

I got all excited and thought there was footage or info.

Cant wait, I hope they show some worthwhile stuff and we can get a feel on what this game is about.

jackdoe

Andrefpvs said:
I'm hyped as well!

This is probably the only 3DS announced game that I'll absolutely must have!

So yeah, hurry up, redesign :p
If it plays like BBS, then the re-design would only let you control the camera with the right stick, which wasn't a problem in BBS.

I'm so ready for this.

Apparently, 80 select people will attend the KH3D display from some contest that the Square Enix members group did a while back.

duckroll said:
We saw some offscreen footage of Nomura playing the game on his 3DS the other day after the Nintendo conference, but nothing detailed.
I was talking about the trailer, but do you have a link of the footage shown?

Zierath

I really can't wait to hear more about this game. I hope it's even crazier than the initial trailer made it out to be.

Andrefpvs

jackdoe said:
If it plays like BBS, then the re-design would only let you control the camera with the right stick, which wasn't a problem in BBS.

What I meant was that I absolutely do not want a 1st generation 3DS, so I hope they hurry up with a redesign so I can play this game. I don't mind waiting a little.

jackdoe

Andrefpvs said:
What I meant was that I absolutely do not want a 1st generation 3DS, so I hope they hurry up with a redesign so I can play this game. I don't mind waiting a little.
Oh. Yeah, I can relate. I regret my 1st gen 3DS right now. BUT at least I'll get a nifty Mario statue for hitting Platinum Nintendo Club status!

HYPE x THREE (DEE).

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE no Organization XIII in this one, they are the cancer of Kingdom Hearts.

basik

yea I saw them playing this on the conference stream at the end when they were doing interviews about that FF music game. the key kid kept doing some dash attack that let him zoom around the screen.

Kamek

Yes!! This is what I was asking you about in the 13-2 thread, duckroll. I heard that they'll be showing a trailer to a room that can only hole 80 people in it, however things have leaked in such circumstances before. I'm sure they'll have a a new trailer out soon, but I'm just dying for this game to be out. It and SM3DLand are the reasons I have a 3DS.

jackdoe

PixyJunket said:
HYPE x THREE (DEE).

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE no Organization XIII in this one, they are the cancer of Kingdom Hearts.
They were wiped out entirely. But of course, cancer does come back, so there will probably be something equivalent to it.

duckroll

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I'm so ready for this.

Apparently, 80 select people will attend the KH3D display from some contest that the Square Enix members group did a while back.
Kamek said:
Yes!! This is what I was asking you about in the 13-2 thread, duckroll. I heard that they'll be showing a trailer to a room that can only hole 80 people in it, however things have leaked in such circumstances before. I'm sure they'll have a a new trailer out soon, but I'm just dying for this game to be out. It and SM3DLand are the reasons I have a 3DS.

It's not really what you guys think it is. There's no secret private display or anything. S-E has playable demo stations for their major games at their booth, but because the queues are really long at TGS on public days, they had a special program on their site for S-E Members where they a number of random fans were given tickets to basically avoid the queue, and still play the demo for the game they want.

Berordn

The secret video for Re:Coded says that
once you defeat somebody's nobody and a heartless they come back as a human
, so I assume we'll be hunting them down again anyway. To save them.

Throavium said:
Does it take place in the coded universe as well? I'm seeing Young Sora and Young Riku here. Pardon me for not knowing much about DDD.

No. We don't know for sure why they are kids. But the part of the game is about Sora and Riku training to get the Mark of Mastery.

duckroll said:
It's not really what you guys think it is. There's no secret private display or anything. S-E has playable demo stations for their major games at their booth, but because the queues are really long at TGS on public days, they had a special program on their site for S-E Members where they a number of random fans were given tickets to basically avoid the queue, and still play the demo for the game they want.
Oh, that makes sense. The article I had read made it out to sound like there was a separate VIP booth or something.

jackdoe

Berordn said:
The secret video for Re:Coded says that
once you defeat somebody's nobody and a heartless they come back as a human
, so I assume we'll be hunting them down again anyway. To save them.
Well, isn't that the whole basis of KH3 (judging by the secret video for BBS), with KH: DDD being the interquel?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yay, I'm so excited! Any guesses on which new Disney worlds will appear, aside from Notre Dame? I'm voting Pocahontas and Dumbo!

NTom64

Can we at least expect a new trailer from this event? Kinda want to see some new worlds.

Treasure Planet or Atlantis would be good for showing off the 3DS, though, if I'm honest, I really just want Gargoyles to be in. It'll never happen though lol

Synless

I'm pretty excited for this one. I'm almost done with my third characters story in BBS. I'm confused as all fuck about many things in this series, but I love them none the less. Thank God for the wiki that has been clearing things up for me. I still need to get Re:Coded.

duckroll

NTom64 said:
Can we at least expect a new trailer from this event? Kinda want to see some new worlds.

Yes, there will be a new trailer, and there should be gameplay videos too since it's playable on the show floor.

NTom64

duckroll said:
Yes, there will be a new trailer, and there should be gameplay videos too since it's playable on the show floor.

Excellent! Looks like I'll have something nice to wake up to lol.

Berordn

Probably, though I thought the secret video was leading up to DDD since it's the next "main" game. Either way they still have to tie up
Aqua's loose ends (though given the BBS:FM video it seems like that'll be its own spinoff interquel) and rescuing Ventus from Castle Oblivion
which might be the second half of the game, after they get the mark of mastery like it was kind of hinted in interviews.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:

Why do they do this.

It's retarded.

Edit: OK never mind it's not Square being dumb, this time

Top Bottom