• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

anddo0

Whats the verdict on PS Pro?

I forgot I had this game on pre-order, and it was sitting in my mailbox yesterday. I'm not exactly dying to play it.

Slaythe

I forgot I had this game on pre-order, and it was sitting in my mailbox yesterday. I'm not exactly dying to play it.

Perfect or faulty, it's been perfect for 9 people out of 10 based off reports. I'm suspecting faulty installs being the cause, but otherwise it's really great on pro, on mine it's been perfect.

Oh wow sounds brilliant. I'll jump in :D

Keep in mind KH2 is really making you go from "zero to hero", so at first you'll think you're extremely weak... By the end of the game, you're a god, can even fly etc... :p

BHK3

Banned

4k 60fps 100% of the time, 1080p 60fps 100% of the time if you don't have a 4K tv.

Skulldead

I've just discover that the limited edition was only on SE store.... compare to 2.8 where every first copy was limited... this is bullshit stuff...

tdwig

Neo Member
Had a few hours to play KH1 last night and rushed it all the way to hollow bastion (getting that speed run trophy out of the way). Loving the port, haven't had any hiccups so far, looks great visually, feels weird to play KH1 in 60fps but it runs buttery smooth, and those instant load times are a god send.

Velcro Fly

I've just discover that the limited edition was only on SE store.... compare to 2.8 where every first copy was limited... this is bullshit stuff...

Don't feel bad. Some retailers took preorders of the limited version of 2.8 and still tried to ship people the regular one day one.

Did a fresh install and played for about an hour without any major issues, i'm hoping I can just sit back and enjoy the rest of my KH2 run now.

Slaythe

Did a fresh install and played for about an hour without any major issues, i'm hoping I can just sit back and enjoy the rest of my KH2 run now.

Does that mean you got minor issues ? Do you mean stuff like sounds, physics etc... (those are reported by everyone, hopefully they patch those) ? Or new issues ?

Anyway I'm glad to hear that. It's been flawless for many ps4 and ps4pro users despite hours and hours of gameplay.

So you might be good !!! That would confirm a faulty install/corruption of some kind being the culprit.

Does that mean you got minor issues ? Do you mean stuff like sounds etc... ? Or new issues ?

Anyway I'm glad to hear that. It's been flawless for many ps4 and ps4pro users despite hours and hours of gameplay.

So you might be good !!! That would confirm a faulty install/corruption of some kind being the culprit.

I have seen some small issues but i'm pretty sure they were in the NA ps3 port of 2fm though I have not played it since it came out so I can't say for sure but over about an hour of play I did not run into any major stuttering like I did before.
The intsall I did this morning seemes to have fixed the stutter for me, both cutscenes and chests seem fine now at least.

Slaythe

So no stutter and 4K/60?
I'll bite, never played the franchise.

The stutter are not part of the "port" itself, they are caused by something that we haven't identified yet.

You either get no stutter at all, ever, or it will shit itself frequently. Technically, the game runs and looks like a dream.

Apparently, reinstalling the game/re DL provides a solution to remove the stutters. It's shit it happens at all but it seems to target a minority of people.

Kingdom Hearts 1 is a cute action rpg, KH 2 is a fast paced game with deep combat, the journey the hero follows to become this all powerful being is extremely enjoyable.

Bite ahead !

I have seen some small issues but i'm pretty sure they were in the NA ps3 port of 2fm though I have not played it since it came out so I can't say for sure but over about an hour of play I did not run into any major stuttering like I did before.
The intsall I did this morning seemes to have fixed the stutter for me, both cutscenes and chests seem fine now at least.

There are a ton of small issues actually ahah, but it's so minor I don't want to bring it up because it makes the port look bad, while the pros far outweigh the lows.

But if we found a way to fix stutter, that's sick.

The stutter are not part of the "port" itself, they are caused by something that we haven't identified yet.

You either get no stutter at all, ever, or it will shit itself frequently. Technically, the game runs and looks like a dream.

Apparently, reinstalling the game/re DL provides a solution to remove the stutters. It's shit it happens at all but it seems to target a minority of people.

Kingdom Hearts 1 is a cute action rpg, KH 2 is a fast paced game with deep combat, the journey the hero follows to become this all powerful being is extremely enjoyable.

Bite ahead !

There are a ton of small issues actually ahah, but it's so minor I don't want to bring it up because it makes the port look bad, while the pros far outweigh the lows.

But if we found a way to fix stutter, that's sick.
Yea I know i have been negative since I have run into some issues but the abilty to play KH2FM at 60fps and almost no load times is amazing and worth the price alone.

I'm curious as to how BBS plays here since I thought the port of 2.5 ps3 was kind of half assed since it had some small framerate issues on ps3.

RexNovis

Banned
I am blown away at how fantastic KH2 looks at 1080p. Can hardly believe this was a PS2 game. Way better than I was expecting.

Yea I know i have been negative since I have run into some issues but the abilty to play KH2FM at 60fps and almost no load times is amazing and worth the price alone.

I'm curious as to how BBS plays here since I thought the port of 2.5 ps3 was kind of half assed since it had some small framerate issues on ps3.
From what I've heard, it's the best of the ports, aside from a small bug in the last world.

It also seems to be the only port with an intentional adjustment to a boss fight, too.

Lnds500

Blame the community for not doing shit about this.

nope

I hate that he writes that there is, when there clearly isn't, and then never responds after he uploads the video.

That's from the description

Kingdom Hearts on PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080. When outputting at 2160p, the PS4 Pro renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160. When outputting at 1080p, the PS4 Pro renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080 (http://imgur.com/a/O4QzM, http://imgur.com/a/0OXHQ)

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I've started off with BBS and damn is it sharp and smooth.
Haven't seen a single dip from 4k60 other than the cutscenes which seem to run at a locked 30fps.

If Persona 5 wasn't right around the corner, I'd probably try and platinum these games.

As it stands, I don't have a ps4pro...

I can see myself getting this later down the road. Haven't played kh1n2 since the ps2 days.

Had the community been more vocal about it, we might have gotten downsampling patches for both collections. But they were totally indifferent.
Problem here is that the audience with ps4 pro is small and the ones that have one and use it on 1080p monitor is even smaller. Considering they haven't even fixed the most vocal of problems that the majority are whining about (Xemnas RC) it's no surprise.

Had the community been more vocal about it, we might have gotten downsampling patches for both collections. But they were totally indifferent.
Or you know, there were more important things to complain about like the ports being fuckin' busted

Also, there's likely only a small subset of people that care about the downsampling thing

Honestly I would put my chips on Sony implementing some sort of optional downsampling mode for pro. Boost mode already shows they are willing to let the users tinker a little with hardware based options. Who knows how long it would take to implement doe if it happens.

Lnds500

Yeah sorry for being vocal about fixing glitches and improving gameplay.

Shrugs.

Or you know, there were more important things to complain about like the ports being fuckin' busted

Also, there's likely only a small subset of people that care about the downsampling thing

No one complained when 2.8 came out, and that wasn't broken.

And bugs are different than a feature they are deciding not to implement.

I've decided to just start from the beginning again! Kingdom Hearts 1 was great anyway and even though I won't play the series every day, I'm preeeeeettttyy sure I'll be done before Kingdom Hearts III comes out.

Still won't try "X".

I've decided to just start from the beginning again! Kingdom Hearts 1 was great anyway and even though I won't play the series every day, I'm preeeeeettttyy sure I'll be done before Kingdom Hearts III comes out.

Still won't try "X".
I try to not think about X if I'm lost for Those parts of the story in 3 so be it I just don't care,coming from someone who bought a gba,ds,psp, 3ds(disclaimer I don't even like handhelds!!) to understand and follow the story nomura can screw right off with that mobile story being important

No one complained when 2.8 came out, and that wasn't broken.
And that comes down to KH players with a Pro playing on 1080p displays with knowledge of what downsampling even is being a vocal minority.

Like Napalm pointed out, they haven't even fixed the Xemnas RC glitch from the PS3 version, something that the community as a whole has voiced quite loudly (And actually affects the game for everyone, regardless of console model) If they haven't listened to that, why would they cater to an even smaller subset of players for a miniscule graphical feature?

That's on the developer, not the community.

And that comes down to KH players with a Pro playing on 1080p displays with knowledge of what downsampling even is being a vocal minority.

Like Napalm pointed out, they haven't even fixed the Xemnas RC glitch from the PS3 version, something that the community as a whole has voiced quite loudly (And actually affects the game for everyone, regardless of console model) If they haven't listened to that, why would they cater to an even smaller subset of players for a miniscule graphical feature?

That's on the developer, not the community.
*PS2 technically. It just became the way it is now when it was ported. One of the most long lasting glitches I've seen.

From what I've heard, it's the best of the ports, aside from a small bug in the last world.

It also seems to be the only port with an intentional adjustment to a boss fight, too.

I've started off with BBS and damn is it sharp and smooth.
Haven't seen a single dip from 4k60 other than the cutscenes which seem to run at a locked 30fps.

I'm super happy to hear BBS got the attention it deserved The game on both the psp and ps3 was rough technically speaking at least but now that the frame rate has been improved it should be less of an issue going from 2 to BBS for most people.

It's going to be a while before I get to do a run myself but I will be sure to play it again after i'm done with Persona 5 next month.

Teggy

I played a good way in to KH on the PS2 when it first came out (I got stuck on
Ursula
IIRC) but haven't played anything in the series since. Man, I remembered the gummi sections being annoying but they really are bad. The reticle doesn't line up with what you are shooting at and it's impossible at times to tell where your ship is. You'll see a pickup in the bottom corner and move your ship there and you'll just completely pass it by, and you'll collide with stuff you seem nowhere near.

The Lamp

I've honestly thought the combat in BBS has always been better than KH2. KH2 had broken, almost useless magic, and reaction commands that broke the difficulty, and it felt more like a brainless button-masher. Then KH2FM fixed a lot of these issues, but regardless, I like BBS' strategy of commands mixed with timing and the 3 different character playstyles. And it finally un-broke magic.

I've honestly thought the combat in BBS has always been better than KH2. KH2 had broken, almost useless magic, and reaction commands that broke the difficulty, and it felt more like a brainless button-masher. Then KH2FM fixed a lot of these issues, but regardless, I like BBS' strategy of commands mixed with timing and the 3 different character playstyles. And it finally un-broke magic.
I always thought that Command Styles and Finishers were the best part of BBS's formula (which was part of why I hated DDD's game design) - the Command menu is cool for the basic variety (and for the basic RPG satisfaction of leveling and fusing commands), but is pretty clearly brokenly overpowered starting at the mid game point, and against super-tough enemies it doesn't make up for the relatively nondesigned melee combat. That's why I think that - as much as KH 0.2 lacks KH2FM's fully developed melee combat and pitch-perfect physics - it represents a future for the series that can bring together the best of all worlds (smartly comboing your way up to the Command Style or finishing move you want is fundamentally a stronger design concept than picking that overpowered move from a menu OR picking a Drive Form from a menu).

Like, if KH3 preserves 0.2's subsystems but gives you a full suite of magic spells like Magnet and Aero and so on, it'll theoretically be possible to use spells and combo finishers to basically work your way up to special move 'sleights' in real time (I'm thinking like Firaga + Firaga + Magnega = Firaga Burst, for example), allowing the full moveset diversity of BBS but with the moment-to-moment melee combat quality of KH2. I think introducing that element of strategy into battle would raise the skill ceiling for high-level players even higher, while also resulting in tons of rewarding powerful fireworks for beginners.

Azuran

Banned
I try to not think about X if I'm lost for Those parts of the story in 3 so be it I just don't care,coming from someone who bought a gba,ds,psp, 3ds(disclaimer I don't even like handhelds!!) to understand and follow the story nomura can screw right off with that mobile story being important

Man, KHX gets way too much hate. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but the actual story and setting is pretty intriguing especially after X Back Cover came out. The big problem is that it takes forever for important story updates to be released.

The big problem with BBS is the lack of hitstun which means enemies can easily break out of your combos when they feel like it. The combat is just not as fluid as in KH2 and that's a big part of why.

Slaythe

Sorry but no.

The Critical mode is obviously rebalanced to force you to use your abilities properly (which includes summons, limits, and growth abilities).

KH2 is about set ups and combos. You can mix the magic abilities in your combos. It's pretty great once you come up with strategies to trigger revenge values of bosses. BBS is about spamming the dodge button forever and using thunder surge + mines and shot lock.
The combos in BBS are pathetic, and that's also due to the fact that the stagger in BBS is basically random. The bosses are also all bad. Compare Terra in Kh2 to Mysterious Figure in BBS. Terrible boss fight.

Meowster

What are the best settings for KH1 on Proud? Is it save the shield or save the rod? I've read conflicting reports and I'm not sure which is best. Also, which is the best leveling path to choose?

Chase17

Played a bit of KH1 today. Beat Wakka, Tidus and some character but jobbed hard to Riku.

I thought I remembered fighting all three of them at once but maybe that's a little later.

Azuran

Banned
What are the best settings for KH1 on Proud? Is it save the shield or save the rod? I've read conflicting reports and I'm not sure which is best. Also, which is the best leveling path to choose?

I went with Shield on my first run proud just because those early defensive abilities and extra slots really come in handy when you're getting used to the difficulty.

But go with Magic if you're comfortable with the game already. Extra MP is really nice and can make a difference in some battles.

As for leveling, I went with standard.

Best idea if you want to complete all of the postgame stuff is to take the rod and lose the shield (basically a permanent +2 MP you can't get anywhere else, and your MP stat is also used to calculate the strength of your magic). Once you get a certain combo finisher, Sora's actually pretty damn strong at melee combat with the Rod path. As for leveling, it's also best to go for the one that speeds up late-game leveling since it has the least amount of experience required to hit level 99.

In KH2, go with the Shield; your stats are the same regardless so getting the all-important second chance/once more/leaf braced trio ASAP is your top priority - ESPECIALLY on Critical, since you get Finishing Plus toward the very beginning of the game.

Top Bottom