• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Peff

She
tricked that one glave into setting himself on fire
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can project that meaning from the scene because she's such a personality-less cypher in the movie, but I really don't think it was intentionally written to be taken this way.

MrDenny

Watched it last night, writing was poor and some characters had really awkward lines at times, editing was all over the place. Graphics were awesome, but the editing made a lot the scenes hard to follow. I kept waiting for Luna to have her badass moment, but it never came. Seeing some of the versus xiii scenes made me sad they aren't going to be incorporated into the game, but I can see why if they're trying to fit everything into one game instead of creating sequels like originally planned. Looking forward to playing FFXV, hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Tyaren

I kept waiting for Luna to have her badass moment, but it never came.

She had imo one badass moment!

When that one Kingsglaive traitor had her cornered and took the ring from her and she was like: "This ring grants more power than someone like you could ever dream of", clearly instigating. And then wrestling the ring from his finger when he fell over the railing burned to a crisp.

HMD

Luna was a glorified princess peach. Just terrible.

Kingsglaive gang is cool, but the VA was absolute dogshit.

Tyaren

Luna was a glorified princess peach. Just terrible.

Kingsglaive gang is cool, but the VA was absolute dogshit.

To be fair, that was just the very beginning of her growing as a character. First she survived now she will fight.

ICXk2gm.gif

f7sTWAc.gif

I'm optimistic that I will like her much more in the game.

On the one hand this movie was terrible, and my brain is reminding me that it was in fact a dreadful movie. On the other I actually really enjoyed it because:

-Final Fantasy
-I'm finally interested in the story of FFXV
-I liked the whole Arthurian mixed with old school FF tropes stuff
-Best FF film fan service

In summary, the best bad film I've seen for a long time.

cappie88

This is how it is pronounced as a loan-word in English, the original Latin pronunciation was different. Technically the name in the movie is either an English transliteration and not Latin, or mispronounced Latin. The most mindboggling example is that Julius Ceasar was actually pronounced as Ewellius Kaiser. That's also the origin of the titles Kaiser and Tsar.

This is right, because it's the classical pronounciation. But he may be referring to the ecclesiastical pronunciation, where sounds like c and g are both soft and hard

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well I just finished it. I have a lot of thoughts I'll put together in a bit but overall I think I enjoyed Advent Children a lot more.

Gravidee

Models and backgrounds looked very detailed and the story was relatively easy to follow but everything else kind of fell short. The VAs outside of Nyx, Regis and Lunafreya and some others were pretty bad. Crowe's might have been the worst. Though some of it might have to do with the fact that it sounded like their voices were in a recording room than wherever they were at the time. Action could be difficult to follow a lot of times. It felt like whoever storyboarded or directed the action didn't know that they were doing. I question some of the editing choices as well, such as the overuse of fade to black effect that made certain scenes seem like they were for a trailer.

Even so, I still look forward to the game because the events of this movie make me curious as to what will happen next.

Toth

Well I just finished it. I have a lot of thoughts I'll put together in a bit but overall I think I enjoyed Advent Children a lot more.

Have to strongly disagree there. While both are mediocre movies outside of their FF trappings, Advent Children, while innovative, was a terrible sequel to FF7. Kingsglaive is a fantastic companion film to FFXV.

Plus, Aaron Paul, Lena Headley, and Sean Bean! Too bad the VA of Libertus and Crowe are so off.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The problem with Crowe, aside from her VA, is
the movie never gives you any room to actually care about her so when she gets killed and Libertus is crying about it... yeah, nothing.

Athreous

AC had a ton of VII references, and the plot actually had some connection and made some sense... I liked it a lot! :D

Kingsglaive isn't bad,
but the connection to one scene to another fades in a strange way that it looks like it was bad edited or something like that...

When I watched the first 10 minutes,
Crowe had me all excited but OMG, she was wiped from the movie so fast lol

For a fan of FF, this is just a lovely movie, for me 8.5/10. I know, voice acting is all over place, editing is dull, but car between buildings, ending and all is so goood. Hype for XV is way up after movie

Rappy

You can project that meaning from the scene because she's such a personality-less cypher in the movie, but I really don't think it was intentionally written to be taken this way.
Oh come on...yes, if there's one complaint about the Luna or a lot of the other characters is that there all very one note with no depth, but to say they didn't intentionally write it that way? The only reason he did what he did was because of her.
Re: Luna

She'd a damsel in distress, constantly being used and saved by men. She didn't stand up to anybody, even her brother.

She went along with everything everybody told her to do... Except Nyx when she just jumps out of a flying vehicle because reasons.

I was expecting more. Hopefully she's a million times better in the game, because this was garbage.
Geez, people need to stop throwing around the term "damsel in distress". What exactly is what I was getting at is that she is never distressed. Which another user considered a complaint.
She doesn't have any powers in the movie so why would she try to go against numerous Nif soldiers and a guy with power armor? She actually did not listen to anybody except those instances where it was the only way (not even Regis with his initial proposal). She also single-handedly takes out an airship using that tracker other people were complaining about on why they held on to it, and she was ready to use the ring.
A valid complaint I see about her is that she is too concerned about her "duty" that she does stupid things.

DedValve

Banned
Saw it last night at palisades with friends. Was a fun romp, I knew exactly what I was getting out of this movie.

Story was....what I expected. I at least appreciate that it wasn't too focused on nonsense politics and I could more or less follow. Did not expect the whole thing to go
lord of the rings
at the very end there.

Also me and my friends were DYING when Nyx not once but fucking twice just pushed past security and security didn't do shit. Then immediately after the second time Regus asks for security for Luna. It took everything in our power to not laugh hysterically.

Also why did the girl that had the hair comb die? What was that about? And isn't the fat guy partly responsible for the attack on the city for joining the resistance?

And why am I even asking these questions, I don't care. I wouldn't mind Nyx coming back. I would love even more eye candy in the main game.

Skilletor

Geez, people need to stop throwing around the term "damsel in distress". What exactly is what I was getting at is that she is never distressed. Which another user considered a complaint.
She doesn't have any powers in the movie so why would she try to go against numerous Nif soldiers and a guy with power armor? She actually did not listen to anybody except those instances where it was the only way (not even Regis with his initial proposal). She also single-handedly takes out an airship using that tracker other people were complaining about on why they held on to it, and she was ready to use the ring.
A valid complaint I see about her is that she is too concerned about her "duty" that she does stupid things.

If you say so. :)

Movie isn't worth arguing about. Hopefully she's handled far better in the game.

DedValve

Banned
Luna was terrible. If she wasn't constantly in need of saving she was just....there.

Like if I didn't watch any trailers or gameplay of FFXV I would have never believed she would be an important character in the main game. Yeah she's proposed to Noctis but she didn't feel like a player at all.

Tbf nobody did really. It was tough for me to root for anyone. At least Nyx was sexy af and we got to see that yes, Regus is that dour in person and its not just the photos.

wanders

Have to strongly disagree there. While both are mediocre movies outside of their FF trappings, Advent Children, while innovative, was a terrible sequel to FF7. Kingsglaive is a fantastic companion film to FFXV.

Plus, Aaron Paul, Lena Headley, and Sean Bean! Too bad the VA of Libertus and Crowe are so off.

AC was entertaining despite the cringe

Skilletor

I don't see how we can say this without playing the game. Already you have to wonder how Noctis and co. don't see the destruction that was going on in the city unless they were, like, a continent away.

jiggle

Luna was terrible. If she wasn't constantly in need of saving she was just....there.

her treatment was so weird

here, pilot the plane
nvm, move

here have a staff to fight
nvm, keep it warm with ur armpit

here, drive
nvm, move

here, drive badly
now move

here, talk the bad guy to death
lol, camera cut away to someone else

The problem with Crowe, aside from her VA, is
the movie never gives you any room to actually care about her so when she gets killed and Libertus is crying about it... yeah, nothing.

she got
jihl nabaated hard

Ydelnae

So I watched the movie this afternoon. It was nice to finally see the main FFXV narrative kick off and I really liked the concept and ideas they were trying to showcase, even though I think the movie failed to deliver in some aspects. Here are my impressions:

- I really liked some of the characters. I think Regis was pretty good, he proved himself to be an intelligent character and I was invested with him emotionally. I was also impressed by Clarus and Libertus, which I thought that they would be minor characters. While I didn't find Nyx offensive, I think they didn't do a good job explaining why
he actually supported the king and didn't come to the same conclusion as the other glaives who deserted.
Also,
the "help, mommy!" flashbacks were cliché and unnecessary.

-
I guess people cared about what happened to Crowe because of design, but I didn't feel emotionally invested in the character. I think we needed more material involving the Kingslglaive, I don't know, an anime episode or something, because at the end, they were killed off too quickly and we didn't have enough time to actually care about them.

- Movie Ardyn needs to be deleted.

- I would have liked if
Clarus stood more of a chance against Glauca. He got killed too quickly. The movie spent too much time on the airship attack I think we deserved a longer duel between Glauca and Clarus.
. I wasn't a fan of
Regis spamming Thundaga like that lol

- Every interaction between Regis and Iedolas was very well done, in my opinion. The exchanges between the two characters made you really feel the tension. The peace treaty scene was amazing.

- The editing/direction in some of the scenes. Who approved this? During the final act, you can't even understand what's going on sometimes. There were two particular cases in which it actually upset me and made me rewind in order to give it a double take.
When those flying bugs discover Nyx and Luna inside the building and Nyx kicks one of them, the shots are just disjointed. They don't make sense.
Also, when
Luche corners Luna and takes the ring away from her. The focus switches to Libertus and Glauca, but then we get a poorly cut shot of Luche, which is already burning. ????

- I wasn't disappointed in Luna, but I would have welcomed if she just cast a spell or something.
I cringed when Nyx came back to the car and pushed Luna aside, was it that hard to make her drive the car?
The
repeat of the "I do not fear death" line reminded me of the "I am a vegan" meme. I don't get the scene in which she just jumps out of the airship, it made her seem as much as brave as it showed her as a complete fool. "I would not forgive myself if I didn't try to solve the situation, so instead of coming up with another solution, let me kill myself". Final Fantasy IV flashbacks.

- I feel like Ravus appearance in this movie was intended as a build-up instead of an actual character presentation.
I think that Luna's comments about her brother were foreshadowing that he might have a greater presence in the game.

- The fade-to-black transitions were amateur and they should be used in trailers and other promotional material, not in a fucking movie. It made it seem like Visual Works just did a bunch of disjointed scenes and then threw them together to complete the movie. The only good transition was the van-airship one, which actually made sense.

- The ending.
Why is Luna walking like a robot among all of these people, as if nobody actually recognizes her? Why does she get out of the car? I think the movie would have ended better if Libertus and Luna made it outside the city and then they parted ways.

I wouldn't say that the movie was a disappointment, but I certainly didn't expect amateur level editing. Overall, I liked it more that Advent Chicken and Spirits Within and it did a good job at introducing the viewer to the world of XV. It's a 7/10 from me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Luna really was disappointing. Again, I had a feeling based on how many times marketing tried telling us how cool and strong she was that it probably wasn't going to be the case... but not only is she dragged around by a man the whole movie her personal motivations are focused on one (Noctis) too.

jett

D-Member

Advent Children is a perfectly executed example of unabashedly shameless fan service. One could say the music alone makes it all work.

They knew what they were doing. AC is just a bunch of independent sequences intended to tingle your nostalgic senses, stringed together by the most basic of narratives, just enough to justify being a full-length movie. It's nothing more, and it doesn't need to be anything else. It's made for FF7 fans and for nobody else.

I don't know for whom is Kingsglaive made for.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Advent Children is a perfectly executed example of unabashedly shameless fan service. One could say the music alone makes it all work.

They knew what they were doing. AC is just a bunch of independent sequences intended to tingle your nostalgic senses, stringed together by the most basic of narratives, just enough to justify being a full-length movie. It's nothing more, and it doesn't need to be anything else. It's made for FF7 fans and for nobody else.

I don't know for whom is Kingsglaive made for.

I think this is where I'm at right now. Just an empty, mixed feeling.

Peff

- The ending.
Why is Luna walking like a robot among this people, as if nobody actually recognizes her? Why does she get out of the car? I think the movie would have ended better if Libertus and Luna made it outside the city and then they parted ways.

This looked like a last-minute change so that it would match Duscae's ending. Not sure why they would try to stick to that when so much has changed from other promo material, but then again maybe it's the fact that it was playable by the public at large instead of just a trailer. Or maybe it's yet another example of an awkwardly written script, who knows.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I slept on it and the script is terrible. The movie is about 4/10 and probably shouldn't be recommended to anyone who isn't already invested into XV the game. And even then, depends on how much of what little lore it gave it isn't also in the game.

Excuse me? How else would you interpret it? That she oversold the ring to that guy for no reason and then lucked out when he decided to try it on for no reason? Am I out of touch or is it the kids who are wrong?

Zoe

The thing I find funny about all the Crowe praise is
she doesn't even get to be a fighter on the same level as the other Glaives. She's only a mage, as is typical for 99% of FF females

Guess people are just shallow :lol

Ydelnae

If Stella was in this she would've kicked Glauca's ass for sure

They had the opportunity to recreate this scene when
she comes to assist Nyx before he tries the ring. I know that Luna didn't keep Stella's rapier, but they could have explained that Regis lent his weapon summoning powers to Luna/Nyx thanks to the ring.

jiggle

The thing I find funny about all the Crowe praise is
she doesn't even get to be a fighter on the same level as the other Glaives. She's only a mage, as is typical for 99% of FF females

Guess people are just shallow :lol

i'd say it's more desperation for any good female characters out of XVerse

Top Bottom