• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Koozek

i'd say it's more desperation for any good female characters out of XVerse

There's still hope:
sUBZCmO.png

Ploid 3.0

This movie kind of makes me dislike the characters in the FFXV game. What makes that kid worth all of that destruction and sacrifice? The trailers for FFXV makes it seems like he's on some fun buddy road trip, and he seems like a brat vs someone like Lady Mormont from GoT. Now that girl I could understand people sacrificing so much for. Didn't take long after her introduction to see how noble and honorable she was.

Peff

Excuse me? How else would you interpret it? That she oversold the ring to that guy for no reason and then lucked out when he decided to try it on for no reason? Am I out of touch or is it the kids who are wrong?

When he first asks for the ring she tries to jump off the building to her death and when she does give it up at gunpoint it's him who starts the conversation, to which she answers by telling him the truth in the same monotone delivery and expression of most of her lines. Even if you consider the "beyond the control of someone like you" as gauding and not a warning, he doesn't acknowledge that at all and when we cut back to them he's already burning.
. But yeah, she's so underwritten there's no real way to tell one way or anorther :shrug.

Famassu

My biggest disappointment was the music. After having trailers with striking music from both Versus XIII & XV, the movie's soundtrack disappoints hugely. It didn't support or elevate the on-screen happenings at all. I feel like a great OST could've brought a bit more excitement & emotion to the movie. There's exactly one good (non-Shimomura) track in this movie.

Oh well, I can at least skip buying the Kingsglaive OST.

Redx508

All the time Nyx talked i pictured Jesse all the time lol. Also they got to use Somnus that was cool.

also why is Crowe the only female member of the Kingsglaive? not a fan of what they did to her so soon.

CG cars look so good

Ploid 3.0

My biggest disappointment was the music. After having trailers with striking music from both Versus XIII & XV, the movie's soundtrack disappoints hugely. It didn't support or elevate the on-screen happenings at all. I feel like a great OST could've brought a bit more excitement & emotion to the movie. There's exactly one good (non-Shimomura) track in this movie.

Oh well, I can at least skip buying the Kingsglaive OST.

At one point familiar music started to ramp up but they stopped it. I think it was music from one of the FFXV or VS trailers. Seems they put it in as a nod or something.

Famassu

This movie kind of makes me dislike the characters in the FFXV game. What makes that kid worth all of that destruction and sacrifice? The trailers for FFXV makes it seems like he's on some fun buddy road trip, and he seems like a brat vs someone like Lady Mormont from GoT. Now that girl I could understand people sacrificing so much for. Didn't take long after her introduction to see how noble and honorable she was.
I imagine that is something we'll discover in the game and maybe foreshadowed by Luna's whole "he'll save the WORLD" line in the movie
maybe he'll save the world from the plague of the stars if that's still a thing
. Noctis is of royal blood and only he has a birthright to the powers of the ring and as such he'll possibly be important in stopping whatever apocalyptic event that will perhaps be the ultimate threat in FFXV. I mean, it's FF. Even if we start off with an invasion-happy empire as the enemy, it'll surely develop into some grand world-threatening thing by the end. Maybe Niflheim will misuse the power of the crystal and that causes some magical damage to the whole world, or maybe in their pursue to use its power they come close to destroying it, which could be what is the ultimate threat to the world: losing the last crystal.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The movie actually failed to make me invested into literally every single character.

The huge problem is that we're never told what anybody's endgame in this movie is.
What are the empire's goals and what are Ardyn and Iedolas being all smug about all the time? If they just want world dominion, they got it and there was no reason to burn Insomnia to the ground in the process. If they wanted the crystal, it's much the same. Why do they want the crystal? We don't know and we're not told. It seems like without Regis, Insomnia can't stand even a leg against the Empire, so once Regis was killed they should've just walked in and claimed it as their own. But for that matter, if all they wanted was the ring and the dead king, why didn't they just have Glauca murder Regis before? He could do it, with that amazing armor of his, because even Nyx with the power of the ring could barely make a dent in him. For that matter, what's Glauca's armor, where does it come from and why is there only one of it if it's so good? What was Ardyn's contingency plan to deal with the Diamond Weapons if KOTR didn't appear and mess them up? It seemed from the opening scene that Empire itself could barely control those things. Regis just kind of comes off as a goofy old doofus, because... well, what was his long-term game? Just stand behind the wall? They were clearly cornered and a dignified surrender would've probably worked out for them much better. Or he could've just have Noctis take over supporting the wall after him, but he didn't want to do that because why exactly? We're told there's some destiny for him to fulfill, and then that Luna has some kind of destiny to fulfill but we're never told what it is and what the stakes are for all those people. So when Luna says she's ready to die for something we don't know she just looks stupid. But it runs in the family, because Ravus is even stupider than Luna! He's literally working for his mother's murderer while blaming Regis for the assault that he saw Empire commit. Luna even points it out to him and he just shrugs and walks away. In the same scene she doesn't seem very enthusiastic about getting wed to Noctis, but wait, the whole wedding business was a sham, wasn't it? It was a fake term of a fake surrender, so why do they continue to pretend like they're going to have some wedding with the two after that? For that matter, why was this particular point important for the fake surrender agreement? Did they just want Luna in the city? But wait, there's more. Glauca sends Crowe to deliver the hairpin with the tracking device, and then kills her en route. What was the point of that? But wait, there's more. The movie seems to imply that there's poverty and desolation outside in Lucis, but when we see the region in the game, there's bustling towns with trade, communication and entertainment. Are Nifelheim even the bad guys in this?
I'm so confused.

Nyx himself was just an action hero. Okay, but shallow.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Advent Children is a perfectly executed example of unabashedly shameless fan service. One could say the music alone makes it all work.

They knew what they were doing. AC is just a bunch of independent sequences intended to tingle your nostalgic senses, stringed together by the most basic of narratives, just enough to justify being a full-length movie. It's nothing more, and it doesn't need to be anything else. It's made for FF7 fans and for nobody else.

I don't know for whom is Kingsglaive made for.

As much as I hated this movie, I still liked it more than Advent Children. I agree with you completely though. Why does this movie even exist? Luna, the one character that we know will have a big presence in FFXV is a non-factor here. Her character doesn't get expanded or developed at all.
She just gets kidnapped multiple times, holds plot macguffins, and gives exposition. You could actually write her out of the entire movie with little effort.
Nyx still has proper motivation to do everything he did in the film, Luna or no Luna.

What's the point of giving that one Kingsglaive member a redemption arc? It just wastes time and adds nothing to the film. Why does the existence of a resistance movement even matter at all? It muddles the film because he betrays the Kingsglaive, but separately from the other members who also betray the Kingsglaive but for a different reason.

This is a poor, half-hearted attempt to bring the uninitiated into the world of FFXV and a bit of a pointless effort if it's supposed to expand things for fans. They could have saved time and money and just done a Kingsglaive miniseries and put it up on YouTube. Brotherhood seems like a more logical expansion of FFXV.

Skux

What kills the performances is that the characters were animated beforehand and then dialogue was added after the fact in voice over, rather than doing live performance capture like Naughty Dog would do.

So there's a weird disjoint between the way the character emotes and the way the actor emotes.

Enthus

I enjoyed this movie for what it was. I knew it wasn't going to be great, but I went in with low expectations and enjoyed myself. I probably still prefer Brotherhood, but I wouldn't mind watching this again.

I had no idea what the fuck was going on in this movie. Visuals were nice though.

I think I missed why
there was suddenly a big Gundam Yojimbo at the end
. Can someone explain?

joebruin

So we're they calling nyx "hero" throughout the movie because of what happened in the intro or was there some other event they didn't get into? Seemed like they were using it condescendingly but the voice acting was so bad.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Unfortunately, all they borrowed was actors.
Boom. If GOT was an influence, then they completely missed the point of what makes GOT so compelling to watch, but then again you could say that about a lot of the film itself.
-What makes fight scenes compelling to watch
-What makes performance capture interesting in animation
-How does editing work
-How does sound design work

ಠ_ಠ

I had no idea what the fuck was going on in this movie. Visuals were nice though.

I think I missed why
there was suddenly a big Gundam Yojimbo at the end
. Can someone explain?

Well, it's not explained super well in the movie. But,
the giant machine/demon thing is somehow summoned by the empire. It's design is a callout to one of the super bosses in FF 7, the Diamond Weapon. The big statues that come to life and fight the diamond weapon thing are representative of the past kings of Lucis, and were summoned by Nyx after he got the king's ring. They are also a call out to the Knights of the Round summon attack, also from FF 7.

silva1991

So Lunas ended up being weak in the movie? I will laugh if that leviathan scene in the trailers is the only thing that will show Lunas as a strong character and it's not even a minute long.

Anyways I can't wait to watch the movie and see the party scene Kagari is talking about.

So Lunas ended up being weak in the movie? I will laugh if that leviathan scene in the trailers is the only thing that will show Lunas as a strong character and it's not even a minute long.

Anyways I can't wait to watch the movie and see the party scene Kagari is talking about.

This is so blown out of proportion.

Luna is NOT a warrior woman. So no, she's not "strong" like Lightning from XIII, or like Stella from vXIII (at least how people conceived her).

But she's obviously spiritually/mentally strong, in that her life has pretty much gone to shit, and she stays dedicated to a large, overarching cause, no matter the difficulty/cost.

The movie isn't super well written, so no character comes off fantastically well. But w/in the confines of what they're doing, there's nothing "weak" about Luna, except in that she's literally physically weak, not a melee fighter.

Famassu

As much as I hated this movie, I still liked it more than Advent Children. I agree with you completely though. Why does this movie even exist? Luna, the one character that we know will have a big presence in FFXV is a non-factor here. Her character doesn't get expanded or developed at all.
She just gets kidnapped multiple times, holds plot macguffins, and gives exposition. You could actually write her out of the entire movie with little effort.
Nyx still has proper motivation to do everything he did in the film, Luna or no Luna.

What's the point of giving that one Kingsglaive member a redemption arc? It just wastes time and adds nothing to the film. Why does the existence of a resistance movement even matter at all? It muddles the film because he betrays the Kingsglaive, but separately from the other members who also betray the Kingsglaive but for a different reason.

This is a poor, half-hearted attempt to bring the uninitiated into the world of FFXV and a bit of a pointless effort if it's supposed to expand things for fans. They could have saved time and money and just done a Kingsglaive miniseries and put it up on YouTube. Brotherhood seems like a more logical expansion of FFXV.
There being discontent towards Regis inside Insomnia's walls is something that was already a part of the original VsXIII scenario. People haven't been happy with the way he was doing things
which, even in the original scenarios described by Nomura, was one of the reasons why Niflheim succeeds. They had people on the inside helping, though originally it sounded like it was more about betrayals in the midst of governing body.
And they all
betray the king for the same reason of Regis seemingly not giving a fuck about regions outside Insomnia. He just changes his mind because of what Nyx said & is doing and in the end decides to help Nyx instead.

Luna is NOT a warrior woman. So no, she's not "strong" like Lightning from XIII, or like Stella from vXIII (at least how people conceived her).

But she's obviously spiritually/mentally strong, in that her life has pretty much gone to shit, and she stays dedicated to a large, overarching cause, no matter the difficulty/cost.

The movie isn't super well written, so no character comes off fantastically well. But w/in the confines of what they're doing, there's nothing "weak" about Luna, except in that she's literally physically weak, not a melee fighter.
maybe if there were other women in FFXV. but when 90% of the cast is male and the only lead woman is "mentally strong" while the men are mentally AND physically strong it should raise eyebrows.

Crossing Eden

The thing is for all of their bragging about how much of a strong female character she is it turns out she's a damsel in distress who spouts exposition, (if I hear the words strong willed to describe a tropey damsel in distress female character from a Japanese RPG one more goddamn time...), there's very little actual character there. It seems her entire character was written solely around Noctis and nothing else. We have an entire movie where she's a major character and the most human thing we've seen from her so far is this:

Hurray, she does stuff other than obsess about Noctis's destiny all day. They need to show that shit.

There... are.
such as?

there's gladios little sister who you seem to go on some kind of date with (lol), crowe who
dies
, dragoon lady who has a nice boob window on her outfit because... :? and has a POLE DANCE in her animations and then luna's handmaiden, who i guess we haven't seen much of yet so could maybe be good.

maybe if there were other women in FFXV. but when 90% of the cast is male and the only lead woman is "mentally strong" while the men are mentally AND physically strong it should raise eyebrows.

Sure, I've always appreciated female warriors in Final Fantasy (Fang, Fran, Beatrix, Celes, among my favorite characters in the series).

But being disappointed that there isn't a warrior woman highlighted in what we've seen of the game, or in Kingsglaive is a separate manner from whether Luna is a canonically weak character, i.e., someone who wields no power, takes no action.

If everyone calling her weak literally just means she's not a warrior, I won't argue w/ that. But if they mean that she has no agency in the story, that just seems flat wrong. She clearly makes important and difficult decisions that have big ripples
(staying behind in Tenebrae w/ her brother instead of fleeing w/ Regis, refusing Regis' plan to elope w/ Noctis, everything she goes through to safeguard the ring, who knows what else in the actual game).

I'm not sure how I feel about the character yet, so I'm not trying to sell her as a great heroine. But I really don't see anything egregiously weak/typical-outdated-wilting-feminine trope about her either.

Toth

Taking another look, I think people calling Luna
a damsel in distress is not fair.

From the movie alone: As a child, she sacrifices herself so Regis and Noctis can escape. She tries to leave Tenebrae before the wedding to see Regis. She makes Nyx take her back to the city to rescue Regis instead of going to safety. She risks her life to keep the ring safe.
From the game: We know she is now risking her life going around waking up the Archaeons (well...supposedly). In the Dawn video, she had no qualms about brushing off the Niflheim soldiers. In the new trailer, she's going toe-to-toe with Leviathan.

Now, I think the game will make it clearer what her role of the Oracle means and clearly the Empire does not value that power as they were quick to order her death.

I think this movie will be more enjoyable when the game comes out and we learn more of the world. Still a 9/10 for me as a FF fan though.

edit: What Yankee said.

Famassu

I wouldn't call all that many men in this movie "mentally strong." They freak out pretty badly for what is going to happen in the story & then act like little bitches.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
such as?

there's gladios little sister who you seem to go on some kind of date with (lol), crowe who
dies
, dragoon lady who has a nice boob window on her outfit because... :? and has a POLE DANCE in her animations and then luna's handmaiden, who i guess we haven't seen much of yet so could maybe be good.

Iris takes Noctis on a tour of Lestallum, don't be daft.

joebruin

such as?

dies

You forgot cidney hehe

Crossing Eden

From the movie alone: As a child, she sacrifices herself so Regis and Noctis can escape. She tries to leave Tenebrae before the wedding to see Regis. She makes Nyx take her back to the city to rescue Regis instead of going to safety. She risks her life to keep the ring safe.
From the game: We know she is now risking her life going around waking up the Archaeons (well...supposedly). In the Dawn video, she had no qualms about brushing off the Niflheim soldiers. In the new trailer, she's going toe-to-toe with Leviathan.

Now, I think the game will make it clearer what her role of the Oracle means and clearly the Empire does not value that power as they were quick to order her death.

I think this movie will be more enjoyable when the game comes out and we learn more of the world. Still a 9/10 for me as a FF fan though.

Even as an advertisement for a game, a film should be able to stand on it's own as a genuinely enjoyable experience. What about this film warrants a 9/10? We got the whole shebang of what makes a poor movie aside from the visuals. Which hurt the film more than anything since there's very little reason for this movie to be animated, (besides animators having a circlejerk about how nice CGI can look while unironically presenting a perfect example of the uncanny valley) and ofc, the incredibly prevalent uncanny valley due to incredibly poor use of ADR/sound mixing.

silva1991

Yeah I realized long ago that she isn't a warrior the moment I saw her last year with a wand instead of good old Stella's rapier :p

Nothing is wrong with mentally/spiritually strong character of course as long as it's executed well.

Still excited to watch the movie despite the mixed opinions.

Got to agree -- obviously execution is a separate matter from directorial intent. The plot isn't that easy to follow in the movie, which does tend to make the characters' (not just Luna's) motivations feel somewhat hollow. But she's just not a tropey damsel in distress.

There's a bit of begging the question going on too -- lots of folks saying things like: "Luna takes no action, except when she does for stupid reasons (i.e., jumping from the ship." Either she takes action, or she doesn't. Clearly, she does. So she's not wholly passive. Do all her actions seem reasonable? Hard to say in this chaotic film, but they don't seem out of line w/ the disjointed stuff anyone else is doing.

A lot of folks seem to be trying very hard to reify a years-in-the-crafting meta-narrative where the strong agentive Stella was removed for wilting flower passive Luna, but I'm really not seeing it.

Toth

Even as an advertisement for a game, a film should be able to stand on it's own as a genuinely enjoyable experience. What about this film warrants a 9/10? We got the whole shebang of what makes a poor movie aside from the visuals. Which hurt the film more than anything since there's very little reason for this movie to be animated, (besides animators having a circlejerk about how nice CGI can look while unironically presenting a perfect example of the uncanny valley) and ofc, the incredibly prevalent uncanny valley due to incredibly poor use of ADR/sound mixing.

Well, I am sucker for lore and the movie scratched my itch. I actually liked Nyx quite a lot and his story was interesting. Plus the movie has some pretty tense moments and twists I certainly didn't see coming. The graphics alone though...wowzers. All the FF nods worked for me too. It's just a subjective 9/10: its a decent movie but I felt it was a great ride for this FFXV fan.

edit: Also Yankee, Tabata has actually called out the Stella 'fanatics' before as having this unrealistic characterization of who she really was. She never was defined.

Luna is not a warrior princess, she's just a princess. I understand it's not what most people want or were expecting, but she is what she is. And I know it's annoying she's lives only to "see the prince's destiny fulfilled", but then again it seems the whole story revolves around Noctis and his future. There seems to be a whole master plan around it, so it it what it is.
I would rather have her be a both strong mentally and physically character, but not being just a damsel crying for help already is something... :p

Anyway, loved the action and visuals. A lot of characters lacked... "justification" for their actions, I guess.

Ydelnae

(Speculation based on Kingsglaive concept art)

I think that Nyx's soul might turn into this lion thing and make an appearance in the game. Tabata said that Nyx won't appear directly in the game but that he will be present in some way.

tumblr_oc4causoPK1uigj7to8_1280.jpg

Notice how the horns match the crown Regis wears in this movie. I think this might be a creature that has something to do with the Lucii, if not an actual Astral.

Arkeband

Banned
The fact that people on this page are referring to the Diamond Weapons as if they were one instead of many just shows how terrible the choreography and direction is, because there were several.

Honestly if the CGI was good in every scene and not heavily fluctuating, it would have probably stood out as a technical marvel above the likes of Avatar or other animated movies going for photorealism.

Unfortunately Nyx's groanworthy dialogue and confusing character motivations dragged down the film. Who is Nyx? We learn that the reason a little girl keeps screaming at him whenever he's in flight, is because his unnamed sister died - and we learn that 4/5ths of the way into the movie. If they established that early on it would have made a lot more sense and would have paved the way for some more development instead of keeping such a pointless secret.

The last fight was badass but incredibly hard to follow. I would never recommend this movie to someone uninterested in FF, but for fans it's slightly better than AC and it's basically required watching if you plan to play FFXV.

What a mess. Oh well.

(Speculation based on Kingsglaive concept art)

I think that Nyx's soul might turn into this lion thing and make an appearance in the game. Tabata said that Nyx won't appear directly in the game but that he will be present in some way.

tumblr_oc4causoPK1uigj7to8_1280.jpg

Notice how the horns match the crown Regis wears in this movie. I think this might be a creature that has something to do with the Lucii, if not an actual Astral.

That looks like a Coeurl based on the super-long tentacle whisker.

Crossing Eden

Well, I am sucker for lore and the movie scratched my itch. I actually liked Nyx quite a lot and his story was interesting. Plus the movie has some pretty tense moments and twists I certainly didn't see coming. The graphics alone though...wowzers. All the FF nods worked for me too. It's just a subjective 9/10: its a decent movie but I felt it was a great ride for this FFXV fan.

edit: Also Yankee, Tabata has actually called out the Stella 'fanatics' before as having this unrealistic characterization of who she really was. She never was defined.
The film doesn't even have a lot of lore, stuff just happens in a disjointed sequence of events that for a lot of the film, have very little to do with each other. As this post smartly pointed out, the why behind a shit ton of events in the film are not explained very well if at all. And even when it does have lore, it's not expanded on very well, abandoned entirely, or straight up doesn't fit in context.

The movie actually failed to make me invested into literally every single character.

The huge problem is that we're never told what anybody's endgame in this movie is.
What are the empire's goals and what are Ardyn and Iedolas being all smug about all the time? If they just want world dominion, they got it and there was no reason to burn Insomnia to the ground in the process. If they wanted the crystal, it's much the same. Why do they want the crystal? We don't know and we're not told. It seems like without Regis, Insomnia can't stand even a leg against the Empire, so once Regis was killed they should've just walked in and claimed it as their own. But for that matter, if all they wanted was the ring and the dead king, why didn't they just have Glauca murder Regis before? He could do it, with that amazing armor of his, because even Nyx with the power of the ring could barely make a dent in him. For that matter, what's Glauca's armor, where does it come from and why is there only one of it if it's so good? What was Ardyn's contingency plan to deal with the Diamond Weapons if KOTR didn't appear and mess them up? It seemed from the opening scene that Empire itself could barely control those things. Regis just kind of comes off as a goofy old doofus, because... well, what was his long-term game? Just stand behind the wall? They were clearly cornered and a dignified surrender would've probably worked out for them much better. Or he could've just have Noctis take over supporting the wall after him, but he didn't want to do that because why exactly? We're told there's some destiny for him to fulfill, and then that Luna has some kind of destiny to fulfill but we're never told what it is and what the stakes are for all those people. So when Luna says she's ready to die for something we don't know she just looks stupid. But it runs in the family, because Ravus is even stupider than Luna! He's literally working for his mother's murderer while blaming Regis for the assault that he saw Empire commit. Luna even points it out to him and he just shrugs and walks away. In the same scene she doesn't seem very enthusiastic about getting wed to Noctis, but wait, the whole wedding business was a sham, wasn't it? It was a fake term of a fake surrender, so why do they continue to pretend like they're going to have some wedding with the two after that? For that matter, why was this particular point important for the fake surrender agreement? Did they just want Luna in the city? But wait, there's more. Glauca sends Crowe to deliver the hairpin with the tracking device, and then kills her en route. What was the point of that? But wait, there's more. The movie seems to imply that there's poverty and desolation outside in Lucis, but when we see the region in the game, there's bustling towns with trade, communication and entertainment. Are Nifelheim even the bad guys in this?
I'm so confused.

Nyx himself was just an action hero. Okay, but shallow.
'

Take this into account:
Luna is said to have been way too intelligent to ever believe in peace, she's said to be incredibly strong willed, this is what we're told, yet her actions are like those of someone who has the opposite qualities, she's smart enough to read the political intrigues of two warring factions yet jumps out of an airship on "faith."

She's just poorly written as a character and the fact that it was stated that the film justifies not having a female character in the party and that she is a "modern woman" is straight up insulting.

nOoblet16

I saw this again today and this time with a friend who doesn't know a thing about Final Fantasy...he liked it and I am actually a bit more positive on it now. One thing though Luna in this movie looks like a completely different character than in game. In the game she has that anime asian look, here she doesn't and is closer to Lena but at the same time her face is so heavily stylised that it is at odds with everyone else in the movie and easily looks the fakest and most "CGI-ish" of all. Everyone else who is in the game and the movie both...looks similar.

Stuff that I still don't understand:
1) Why kill Crowe? Not like Luna was going to be there anyways.
2) How did Nyx guess something was wrong when he was told Luna disnt leave with the Niflheim peeps? What was the significance of that watch that he came back to look at?
3) The Crystal and the ring both give the king powers, the ring especially allows command of the old wall but the powers/magic themselves seem similar. As I understand the ring has the power and knowledge of past Lucii Kings the Crystal was something given by deities. How did the Lucii become that powerful anyway without being linked to the crystal?
4) What is Glauca suppose to be? It's not magic but he has that thing where he gets this armour on out of thin air and leaps like the hulk.

Ran rp

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15-director-on-role-of-women-in-the-/1100-6433526/

Although long-in-development RPG Final Fantasy XV features an all-male party, game director Hajime Tabata says the title will feature a range of female characters who will play a deeper role than "just love interests" for the main cast.

"There are quite a lot of female characters the guys will meet along the road they take and they really enhance the story, and perform a lot of different roles in the story," Tabata said in an interview with The Examiner. "Not just as love interests but other ways as the story progresses."

Tabata didn't shed any further light on what role Final Fantasy XV's female characters will play or what effect their involvement will have on how the game plays out.

Also in the interview, Tabata confirmed that players can expect to encounter mighty female foes. "There will be a number of powerful female characters on the enemy side as well," he said.

we'll see lol

Koozek

PSY・S;215479812 said:

Heh, just saw this in the same interview:

One female character in Final Fantasy XV who has generated a bit of buzz is Cindy. During a presentation in April 2015, Tabata responded to a complaint that Cindy (above) was "too sexy."

"She's actually not meant to be an erotic character," Tabata explained. "Her character is very energetic and outgoing, a very active character. With those traits paired with her appearance, we feel it wouldn't be too problematic even if, say, she shows up on screen while your parents are in the living room."

Some people voiced concerns about Cindy's appearance, saying she's showing too much skin for someone whose line of work is fixing cars. Tabata doesn't plan to change her appearance, however.

"She is a very cheerful and active character, I don't think we want to change the current concept," he said.​

Phaezyk

The film doesn't even have a lot of lore, stuff just happens in a disjointed sequence of events that for a lot of the film, have very little to do with each other. As this post smartly pointed out, the why behind a shit ton of events in the film are not explained very well if at all. And even when it does have lore, it's not expanded on very well, abandoned entirely, or straight up doesn't fit in context.

Yup, this is why I couldn't enjoy it. I'm hopeful the game will explain it all in the end and the expectation is there that is should, but the game is now several months out so I'm left wanting, not that it's a bad thing or anyone's "fault". I'm thirsty for answers and it'll be a while before we get them. As this movie stands, by itself, it is disjointed in multiple ways and just doesn't stand on it's own. Essentially, this movie is to the game what tie-in comics, games, and video shorts are to the Film industry. It is a bit different from Advent Children in this regard that it's meant to supplement the game's story rather than expand upon it, although they share similar problems at times. Spirits Within actually stands alone the best because the film isn't tied to any greater property other than the brand name, and even then it is superficial.

There's still hope:
sUBZCmO.png

Why can't I shake this feeling that I'm looking at Jihl Nabaat 2.0?

Crossing Eden

PSY・S;215479812 said:
Heh, just saw this in the same interview:

One female character in Final Fantasy XV who has generated a bit of buzz is Cindy. During a presentation in April 2015, Tabata responded to a complaint that Cindy (above) was "too sexy."

"She's actually not meant to be an erotic character," Tabata explained. "Her character is very energetic and outgoing, a very active character. With those traits paired with her appearance, we feel it wouldn't be too problematic even if, say, she shows up on screen while your parents are in the living room."

Some people voiced concerns about Cindy's appearance, saying she's showing too much skin for someone whose line of work is fixing cars. Tabata doesn't plan to change her appearance, however.

"She is a very cheerful and active character, I don't think we want to change the current concept," he said.​
How was the portrayal of women in Type-0 and Dissidia? As in, if you're not someone who watches anime regularly, how are they portrayed, because holy shit I have so little hope based on this film and the interviews.

Top Bottom