• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle Review Thread

KAOS

Fun movie a bit ridiculous. It was like a long ass COD commercial. Pascal was awesome! He would be perfect for Smokey and the Bandit if they ever did a remake of it.

I and my friend walked out.

Not because it’s a horrible film – it’s not. Rather because we were just so bored and looking down at the time, we realized we had another 30 minutes to go and simply didn’t care to finish it.

And I really, really liked the first film.

This one just felt sloppy, unfocused, and the bombast of the first gave way to puerile stupidity in the sequel. Some of the Julianna Moore hijinks felt like they belonged in an Austin Powers film but mostly, I just couldn’t care about the bloated, meandering plot.

That said, the opening scene was great and this film certainly possesses some fantastic action segments that are beautifully filmed but overall I’m very disappointed.

I also suspect this film will be the death knell for the franchise.

I feel like less was more with Channing Tatum, while his character was likely the best agent physically, that accent was NOT good. Made sense why he talked so slow in Logan Lucky.

Not because it’s a horrible film – it’s not. Rather because we were just so bored and looking down at the time, we realized we had another 30 minutes to go and simply didn’t care to finish it.

This one just felt sloppy, unfocused, and the bombast of the first gave way to puerile stupidity in the sequel. Some of the Julianna Moore hijinks felt like they belonged in an Austin Powers film but mostly, I just couldn’t care about the bloated, meandering plot.

That said, the opening scene was great and this film certainly possesses some fantastic action segments that are beautifully filmed but overall I’m very disappointed.

Haha now you mentioned it, it does seem like she was just missing the 'hold pinky up to mouth' bit.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
DKVjYpKWsAA7dOY.jpg:large

This is basically how I felt, but I didn't walk out. I just stuck with it through the boring end. Even the badass fight at the end didn't make up for hours of boredom after that cool first sequence. What a huge miss, and I, too, love the first one.

The movie had almost no forward momentum.

This is basically how I felt, but I didn't walk out. I just stuck with it through the boring end. Even the badass fight at the end didn't make up for hours of boredom after that cool first sequence. What a huge miss, and I, too, love the first one.

Agreed.

I cannot believe they thought giving this a run time of nearly 2 and a half hours was a good thing.

Toa TAK

Banned
This score is so damn good. I’m far and away from being anywhere near resembling a fan of Henry Jackman, but he and Matthew Margeson nailed this. Never thought I’d enjoy a tune about West fuckin Virginia of all places.

Snaku

Banned

I feel what held the film back was spending so much time trying to fix their mistake in killing Harry in the first film. They had to make it plausible, and didn't want him to immediately recover, but nobody really wants to see that. They wanted Harry to be his suave badass self again, but he never really reaches that point again at any point in the film. Instead it's all shit depth perception, and butterflies.

Bridges

I feel what held the film back was spending so much time trying to fix their mistake in killing Harry in the first film. They had to make it plausible, and didn't want him to immediately recover, but nobody really wants to see that. They wanted Harry to be his suave badass self again, but he never really reaches that point again at any point in the film. Instead it's all shit depth perception, and butterflies.

Totally.

Just saw this last night. It was a decent enough time with a great cast, but there were no stakes. Other than the one big thing at the beginning I never really felt like the heroes were gonna lose, the plot was kinda all over the place and really unfocused, and they really messed up by basically making all the leads immortal.

First movie is way better, but I'll definitely see a third if it happens.

kirblar

As someone who hasn't seen the movie, do they set it up in a way in which a third movie is possible?
Not really, it's actually done in such a way where it feels like they might be content w/ leaving it at two.

The first film is playing with Connery-era Bond, this film is playing with Moore-era Bond, and I'm not sure where you'd take this franchise w/ a third film.

Toxi

Banned
What worries me is that this sounds like a 2 and a half hour long version of the third act in Kingsman.

Just got back from seeing it with my dad. We both enjoyed the first movie, kind of a surprise hit. This one was just too long, and it really didn't need to be. The opening and the last 30-40 mins were very enjoyable, but god damn did it drag in the middle. Not a horrible movie, but I think I would have preferred to just have caught this on Netflix in a year or so.

kirblar

I think this is exactly the problem. It's a subplot that just wastes a lot of time.

Rainy

Banned
Third one will of course depend on how this one does. Poor word of mouth from reviews or something might not bode well.

Saw it made $3.4 million on Thursday night showings, which was strong. But we'll see with the weekend numbers I guess?

RedStep

Not really, it's actually done in such a way where it feels like they might be content w/ leaving it at two.

The first film is playing with Connery-era Bond, this film is playing with Moore-era Bond, and I'm not sure where you'd take this franchise w/ a third film.

Lazenby-era Bond - Suddenly replace Eggsy with Devon Sawa
Dalton-era Bond - Gritty and serious, everybody dies in horrific ways
Craig-era Bond - Reboot, have the kid from Stranger Things/IT take over

ryan299

Thought it was incredibly bland compared to the first film. Really disappointed.

Outside of the finale and
The Whiskey cabin scene
the action felt generic to me.

Really disliked Eggy's arc.

Tatum is pointless.

The villain is terrible, as well as her plan.

Really thought the script could've been tighter. The movie is too long with a bunch of pointless nonsense.

Sounds like I was right to be worried about the runtime. Doesn't sound like they kept up the energy from the first film, and it drags in the middle.

Valhelm

contribute something
This is how you do a stupid movie.

Something about the direction and art design made it way more more memorable than most superhero films. Haven't had this much fun with a popcorn flick since Deadpool or the Man from Uncle

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I really didn't enjoy this. I was pleasantly surprised by the first one but this fell completely flat in all regards. I can't think of a single memorable moment - very unremarkable.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
It's kinda bullshit that Tatum gets name credit in the trailers but Pedro Pascal doesn't. I get Tatum's a bigger star, but in terms of screentime....
lol

I saw the first one again last night, and it kinda suck on a second viewing. Maybe it'll be the same for this as well. It'll probably be a good time, but I won't watch it again.

I really got to find more Mark Kermode scathing reviews.

Of the few I've seen, he's a treat.

So, I just paused my podcast because of this review to seek out this thread. I really dislike Matthew Vaughn as a director and the whole "why does he get away with it but Michael Bay doesn't" rings very true to me (I found Kick Ass to be mean spirited and incredibly lame).

Anyway, I know what the bit was in the first movie that he hated. Can someone just spoil me exactly what the bit he hated in his one as well? I will never see it but I just want to know.

Das Ace

Ugh, the more I think about this movie the more disappointing it is. Probably going to end up being my biggest disappointment of the year.

kirblar

So, I just paused my podcast because of this review to seek out this thread. I really dislike Matthew Vaughn as a director and the whole "why does he get away with it but Michael Bay doesn't" rings very true to me (I found Kick Ass to be mean spirited and incredibly lame).

Anyway, I know what the bit was in the first movie that he hated. Can someone just spoil me exactly what the bit he hated in his one as well? I will never see it but I just want to know.
There's a part in this movie that's designed to make you incredibly uncomfortable as they
go after how gross the "seducing an enemy agent" trope is.
They had something similar with a completely crass out of place sex joke to blow up the "sex as a reward" trope in the first.

Dabanton

It was an enjoyable movie, but not better than the first movie.

And once again way too much good stuff big moments were spoilt in the trailers.

I did have to laugh when we see a certain character especially after some of the threads on here about how outrageous the scene they were involved with was.

I will say the effects made the film feel too artificial.

Rainy

Banned
I thought it was great. The whole theater seemed to enjoy it along as well. Was definitely long but really entertaining. Would be down for a third!

DigtialT

Weird, feel like I saw a different movie then everyone else. I had a blast in the theaters, feel like this one was even better then the first one.

Sean C

This movie just had way too much stuff in it. The hoops they jump through to bring Hart back, and introducing all those Statesman characters who ultimately don't even matter, just drag down what could have been a much leaner movie.

I do enjoy that
Eggsy is now married to the Crown Princess of Sweden, though
. That's an amusing idea; frankly, the movie could have done more with the "what happens after Bond and the Bond girl hook up?" element. Like, it would have been fun to see what Eggsy's mother makes of all this.

Saw it on IMAX today (thanks moviepass), enjoyed it a lot although the story was kind of meandering and unfocused a bit. It feels like Eggsy is a side character almost, which doesn't really work for an action movie to have your main star feel ... irrelevant. Lot of parallels I think with John Wick, in that the second one is very faithful to the first one, the bad guys aren't as good, the scope of the world is expanded, and the movie is good but not greater than the first one.

One thing I think really hurt is the bad guy sidekick. Julianna Moore killed it as a follow up to Samuel L Jackson, but blade girl STOLE the first movie and the bad guy sidekick in the second movie was abysmally boring and generic. A stronger bad guy sidekick and a stronger story would have helped a lot I think. Worth a watch, but unless you are moviepassing I don't see why you'd pay to see it in theaters.

Just got back and I enjoyed it a lot. It's obviously a bit more over the top than the first, but I thought it did it well.

I rewatched the first movie last night at home on 4k UHD and thought it was far more over the top (in a good way) than the second movie, which felt a bit more tame. I did absolutely LOVE the Statesmen idea/execution and would love a spinoff Statesmen movie, think it could be even better than Kingsman. Although I wonder about jurisdiction, these guys are all wandering around the world mostly and I wonder how they don't trip on each others toes.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Saw this tonight. Loved the first one, really liked this one. I thought Julianne Moore's character was great. Nothing comes close to topping the church scene from the first, but that's a tough act to follow.

Top Bottom