• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

oneran

No it wouldn't. Because you would have to play on a screen that is not the top screen. Which is just not what happens on the 3DS. The Wii U is the console equivalent to the DS, not the 3DS. Hence why this is a Wii U game and not a 3DS game.

You do realize the 3DS can play DS games right?

I hate to post this, but...

Purchase or not? I like platformers, but have never played a Kirby title.

Judging from my avatar I'm a bit biased, but it is a really charming experience and forces you to think differently about how you control your character.

So YES!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So far my only (minor) annoyance is no retry option during the challenges. Still not too far into story mode though.

Berordn

Played for a bit last night, got up to world 4. So far I'm really into it except for how the levels seem eager to prevent you from backtracking and would rather force a replay to collect something you miss... which wouldn't be too bad if the stages were the length they were in Canvas Curse, but they end up being pretty long here.

Alright, 100%ed story mode (all treasures, gold medals, and diary pages). 11 hours, including veeeery copious amounts of time idling in the Music Room while I did other things. I really enjoyed it. It's a great weekend game.

Still have 1 more figure I need to get from doing challenges, but I'm gonna break for now.

oneran

How is this relevant, though? You want to make a case for RC being viable on 3DS so it would have to be a 3DS game. How does that have anything to do with DS games?

I think we should just agree to disagree, I just don't see any reason why the upper screen screen couldn't be your HUD and the lower screen have your gameplay just as in canvas curse.

Played a couple stages last night and was continually floored by the claylike visuals. Really love the length of the stages.

Gonna have to dig in more to give full impressions but so far, it's pretty rad.

SCReuter

Somethings to note from playing yesterday.

-Playing this on your bed while lying down is impossible, you will get neck pain
-This game has to be played at a certain angle otherwise you'll obscure the screen partially with your hand
-The claims of being able to use the TV with the tablet in this game are bullshit, such a thing is impossible. Stick to using the pad only

One question by the way, does this game have copy abilities like in Canvas curse or no?

Don't get me wrong by the way, I'm enjoying the game but like I said before it's impossible for the person using Kirby to enjoy the 1080p visuals on a TV. This game is on the wrong platform.

But Rainbow Curse makes use of the GamePad, and it makes use of local multiplayer, and it makes use of Wii U's audio and video capabilities. Just because Player 1 will likely spend more time staring at the GamePad than the television screen doesn't mean the title is on the wrong platform. As far as Nintendo systems go, Wii U is the best place for Rainbow Curse.

Yuterald

The music is beyond fucking good. So many unique tunes packed for different segments/moments of the stages (not that this isn't new to Kirby, but still appreciated). Great remixes/arrangements of old favorites, too. And yeah, the clay animation is one of the coolest art styles I've seen applied to Kirby yet (I may even like it more than Yarn...).

Teknoman

Somethings to note from playing yesterday.

-Playing this on your bed while lying down is impossible, you will get neck pain
-This game has to be played at a certain angle otherwise you'll obscure the screen partially with your hand
-The claims of being able to use the TV with the tablet in this game are bullshit, such a thing is impossible. Stick to using the pad only

One question by the way, does this game have copy abilities like in Canvas curse or no?

Don't get me wrong by the way, I'm enjoying the game but like I said before it's impossible for the person using Kirby to enjoy the 1080p visuals on a TV. This game is on the wrong platform.

Its not bs at all.

Some people can adjust and some can't. Might you have to look down for a split second at times like Wonderful 101? Sure, but impossible? No.

So after playing the first level...

+Great art
+Core gameplay is still there
+Good music

-The game is slower than CC. You cannot use the speed loops anymore
-TV play was impossible for me
-Long levels due to The slower pace

So I can see why people are mixed.

TheMoon

-The game is slower than CC. You cannot use the speed loops anymore

I keep finding this funny because:

"This time, in Rainbow Curse, because Kirby is rolling faster and that's a little bit more the focus of the gameplay, we decided that it wasn't as good a fit, you have a different function for the gameplay here, so the demands for gameplay mechanics were different. I feel like, in the kind of game this has become, this was definitely the right decision."

Masuda pointed out that it's hard to compare this game to Canvas Curse in some ways due to the difference between the Wii U's GamePad screen, and that of the DS. "If you played the Nintendo DS game, Kirby: Canvas Curse, you'll notice this game where you flick using the stylus on the touch screen to move kirby through levels rather slowly. This time around, because the screen on the gamepad is larger than on the Nintendo DS of the time, the player can draw longer lines, and as a result of that, we can allow the character on screen to move faster, and we feel that really makes the gameplay feel a lot better. So this was something that was definitely on our minds as we designed gameplay and game worlds. You'll also see a lot faster stylus movement, and we also think this affected game design quite a bit."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-s-clay-fueled-vision-for-kirby-and-the-ra/1100-6425381/

Its not bs at all.

Some people can adjust and some can't. Might you have to look down for a split second at times like Wonderful 101? Sure, but impossible? No.

You're joking right...? This has NOTHING to do with talent or possessing hand-eye coordination skills. This game is too fast and new roads must be drawn frequently. Kirby requires to be tapped but the amount of space he takes up on screen is fractional, and that requires frequent taps. I am absolutely certain Nintendo did not intend at all for the player (not talking about multiplayer) to use the TV at all. It wouldn't even be remotely fun and I think it's odd for anyone to defend against what I am saying. Think about how many times you're going to bob your head to alternate between both displays. You are a fucking masochist if you want to play with the TV.

But Rainbow Curse makes use of the GamePad, and it makes use of local multiplayer, and it makes use of Wii U's audio and video capabilities. Just because Player 1 will likely spend more time staring at the GamePad than the television screen doesn't mean the title is on the wrong platform. As far as Nintendo systems go, Wii U is the best place for Rainbow Curse.

I am talking in regards to single player, not multi-player. Multi-player does not concern me because that was a thing of the past. Single player is about the only way I can enjoy games now so I'm stuck enjoying this game on the tablet. I'm sure a lot of others can relate to my situation as well.

Simbabbad

I agree with the Wiimote controls not working, but to say a 3DS build wouldn't work or make sense is a bit overkill. The Wiiu is more ideally suited but the game would work perfectly fine(albeit alot less pretty) on the 3ds just like canvas curse did on the ds.
OK, again, I don't get this. The 3DS is in the same situation as the Wii U with this game, only much worse: you'll only be able to play on the small, 4:3, not 3D screen on 3DS, the other screen being literally useless. What's the benefit?! What's the point?

On Wii U:

- The graphics are better
- The TV can be used for multiplayer (which isn't possible on 3DS)
- The gamepad screen is bigger, 16:9 and more comfortable to hold
- You don't have to carry a big extra 3D 16:9 screen for nothing
- Your hand doesn't hide as much percentage of the screen while playing

The only thing the 3DS might have is portability, but even that is questionable: this is the sort of game you play at home, not on the run, so the portable screen might as well be the Wii U's.

Teknoman

You're joking right...? This has NOTHING to do with talent or possessing hand-eye coordination skills. This game is too fast and new roads must be drawn frequently. Kirby requires to be tapped but the amount of space he takes up on screen is fractional, and that requires frequent taps. I am absolutely certain Nintendo did not intend at all for the player (not talking about multiplayer) to use the TV at all. It wouldn't even be remotely fun and I think it's odd for anyone to defend against what I am saying. Think about how many times you're going to bob your head to alternate between both displays. You are a fucking masochist if you want to play with the TV.

Well maybe my opinion will change the more time I spend with the game. I will admit I haven't had the chance to play it much after downloading last night, but just going off what i've seen others say and the small bit i've experienced for now.

Conezays

Kind of tempted to grab this but still knee-deep in Majora's. How does it compare to other platformers on the Wii U for those who are digging it? Kind of turned off by those suggesting you should primarily play it on the gamepad.

OK, again, I don't get this. The 3DS is in the same situation as the Wii U with this game, only much worse: you'll only be able to play on the small, 4:3, not 3D screen on 3DS, the other screen being literally useless. What's the benefit?! What's the point?

On Wii U:

The only thing the 3DS might have is portability, but even that is questionable: this is the sort of game you play at home, not on the run, so the portable screen might as well be the Wii U's.

A lot of your points don't really matter at all, and for some you are just extracting that kind of information from the deepest parts of your rear end.

The graphics are better? Oh you mean the 1080p visuals you can't enjoy 100% of the time unless you have 3 or 4 eyes? Isn't the gamepad's resolution 480p (or wide 480p I'm not sure)? That is what you're seeing most of the time which is a damn shame.

Multi-player? Gratz to you if you actually have family and friends that play your kind of games or play multi-player. Sometimes I wish I had my youth back just for those moments.

The gamepad is not more comfortable to hold by the way with one hand than a 3DS... Do you have ogre hands or something? Or maybe you're seriously jacked right? I bet you're really chiseled dude. The 3DS was designed to be easily held with one hand, and if it required stylus heavy games (phantom hourglass or kirby cc), your second hand could be appended to the 3ds while only 2 fingers obscure your view, which is nothing. You're saying there's more to see with the pad but you are completely wrong. You cannot simulate that perfect grip the 3DS was designed for. Your hand is required to fully be in front of the pad while your other hand holds the heavy fucker. Sure you can do the 3DS grip if you want but you need salad fingers. Also, 16:9 is a fair complaint but don't try to justify 3D with this game ever. It is an intense game and requires the 3ds to jerk a lot rendering the 3d visuals useless since it requires a consistent angle.

Funny by the way how you complain about the top screen of a ds being useless... At least you can look at it MUCH MUCH more frequently than the TV, and yet you call it useless. It's useless for this game to render on the tv screen if you're playing single player.

Kind of tempted to grab this but still knee-deep in Majora's. How does it compare to other platformers on the Wii U for those who are digging it? Kind of turned off by those suggesting you should primarily play it on the gamepad.

Ya you pretty much have to look at the game pad. I don't find it being a problem. It's not like any other platformer so it's kinda hard to judge. I think it's worth the 40$ Especially if you have someone to play co-op with. Playing as waddle dee is so different from the core game and the person playing as kirby can draw platforms for you to grab secrets and such and you can soak in the visuals.

El Odio

Banned
Got the first world down and I can't believe how fantastic the OST is as well. The absolutely loved the giant tree and cave themes.

gunstarhero

Been playing this's it's my 6 year old and it's really an amazing game. Obviously the visual and music are great - and by that I mean they are PHENOMINAL. But the thing that impresses me the most is the fact that it caters to both beginner and experienced gamers so well. My son is proficient enough and can manage on his own, and I'm able to play as technical as I want - and get rewarded for it.

It's nothing new for sure - but this game seems to do that balancing act exceptionally well.

jariw

The graphics are better? Oh you mean the 1080p visuals you can't enjoy 100% of the time unless you have 3 or 4 eyes? Isn't the gamepad's resolution 480p (or wide 480p I'm not sure)? That is what you're seeing most of the time which is a damn shame.

Since the comparison was with the 3DS, 480p is better than the 240p of the 3DS.

Some players can watch it on the TV while drawing on the Gamepad. It's a matter of skill.

Simbabbad

A lot of your points don't really matter at all, and for some you are just extracting that kind of information from the deepest parts of your rear end.
Er... what?

The Wii U having better graphics than the 3DS isn't a fact and doesn't matter?
Multiplayer being possible only on Wii U isn't a fact and doesn't matter?
The image being bigger and higher quality on the Wii U gamepad isn't a fact and doesn't matter?
The main, 16:9, 3D screen of the 3DS being unusable for such a game isn't a fact and doesn't matter?
Your hand covering less the image on the bigger Wii U screen isn't a fact and doesn't matter?

Despite all your contempt, you can't point to one single feature the 3DS could possibly have that'd make the game any better. There isn't one reason for this game to rather be on 3DS.

Marjar

Banned
I was enjoying this at first, but as I go through the game I'm just getting more and more frustrated with how much stuff I keep missing. It feels really awkward trying to get Kirby to do what I want him to do when things require more preciseness.

oneran

On Wii U:

Again as I said the Wiiu is more ideally suited and I'm not arguing that, I was just trying to point out that I don't think the game would be some unplayable disaster if it were on the 3DS.

bart64

Banned
I was enjoying this at first, but as I go through the game I'm just getting more and more frustrated with how much stuff I keep missing. It feels really awkward trying to get Kirby to do what I want him to do when things require more preciseness.
Isn't that cool that they try to challange you though? It's a hard game and it doesn't add fluff just to make you feel better.

Just wanted to gush about the graphics a little. Some nice touches with the way the wall squish when you touch them, all the different ways that lower framerate is used, how some backgrounds are 3d, all the care in the figurines sections. And the music is just perfect for my taste. That first solemn forest song was when it all came together and this game became something special.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Isn't that cool that they try to challange you though? It's a hard game and it doesn't add fluff just to make you feel better.

Just wanted to gush about the graphics a little. Some nice touches with the way the wall squish when you touch them, all the different ways that lower framerate is used, how some backgrounds are 3d, all the care in the figurines sections. And the music is just perfect for my taste. That first solemn forest song was when it all came together and this game became something special.

A small thing I liked that I noticed is how this dude gets bandages on him the more you hit him:

zlCfzTCLruw7MkkqII

Hm, not really feeling Challenge Mode, especially the Survival Challenges. Kinda a pain. Probably won't end up doing all of them. That 99% on my file is gonna kill me, though...

Shame, wish we got Time and Line Trial back.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I feel like the OST drops a bit in quality after world 1. It's still really good, but every single track in world 1 were amazingly catchy right off the bat!

TheMoon

Er... what?

The Wii U having better graphics than the 3DS isn't a fact and doesn't matter?
Multiplayer being possible only on Wii U isn't a fact and doesn't matter?
The image being bigger and higher quality on the Wii U gamepad isn't a fact and doesn't matter?
The main, 16:9, 3D screen of the 3DS being unusable for such a game isn't a fact and doesn't matter?
Your hand covering less the image on the bigger Wii U screen isn't a fact and doesn't matter?

Despite all your contempt, you can't point to one single feature the 3DS could possibly have that'd make the game any better. There isn't one reason for this game to rather be on 3DS.

It's pointless to argue with him. The way he's denying obvious facts means there's no light at the end of that tunnel.

Again as I said the Wiiu is more ideally suited and I'm not arguing that, I was just trying to point out that I don't think the game would be some unplayable disaster if it were on the 3DS.

Sure you could do a massively scaled down version like back in the days of the Game Boy. But that would hardly resemble the game as we have it and be the dictionary definition of "forced." But of course it's "possible" in that way. Or they could just make a 100% DS-style sequel, ignoring any of the 3DS benefits aside from horsepower.

Top Bottom