• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

impact

Banned
Actually I was referring to the original Sly. I have a funny history with the game. I ordered an eBay auction after E3 2002 which contained a swag bag including a demo disc for Sly. I remember really enjoying the demo. When the game came out I played it a bit but never got too into it. My wife and I have been playing some great PS2 games lately so I picked up Sly. We finished it tonight (82%, so everything except the time trials), and it was ridiculously fun. Just an awesome, clever, cute and fun game that really stands the test of time. It feels like it's barely aged in 12+ years since its release. We're looking forward to checking out more games in the series!

Tomorrow: Kirby!

Did you enjoy the minigames in Sly 1? If so, then yea try the sequels. If you liked Sly 1 for the platforming and disliked the minigames then just pretend the series stopped existing after the first game. Trust me.

Alright, not having quite as much fun with World 4, lol. Really not a big fan of auto-scrollers in this format, especially when combined with lots of easy to miss treasures. Can see where potential frustration not tied to difficulty could come in.

lt519

I guess if the gameplay isn't varied it'd be best played in small doses. I beat Captain Toad over the course of a couple months, I'll probably do the same with this. Two full levels earlier seemed like the perfect play session length for this game.

maxcriden

Did you enjoy the minigames in Sly 1? If so, then yea try the sequels. If you liked Sly 1 for the platforming and disliked the minigames then just pretend the series stopped existing after the first game. Trust me.

Hrm, that is disappointing to hear. I'll try to temper my expectations then. I already have Sly 3 so I'm sure I'll pick up Sly 2. In the meantime we have the Jak and Ratchet games to play and a bunch of others. Thanks for the info!

this is off-tv compatible right?

(I know this is a stupid question but just want to make sure there aren't any HUD elements exclusively on the TV, or text, or something like that)
You're going to have to look at the game pad almost exclusively. You need to look down at it to make sure you're putting your lines in the right places.

maxcriden

You're going to have to look at the game pad almost exclusively. You need to look down at it to make sure you're putting your lines in the right places.

FWIW, some players have said they are able to look at the TV while drawing the lines on the GamePad. (I'm hoping to be able to do this, too.)

Actually I was referring to the original Sly. I have a funny history with the game. I ordered an eBay auction after E3 2002 which contained a swag bag including a demo disc for Sly. I remember really enjoying the demo. When the game came out I played it a bit but never got too into it. My wife and I have been playing some great PS2 games lately so I picked up Sly. We finished it tonight (82%, so everything except the time trials), and it was ridiculously fun. Just an awesome, clever, cute and fun game that really stands the test of time. It feels like it's barely aged in 12+ years since its release. We're looking forward to checking out more games in the series!

Tomorrow: Kirby!

Sly is a game I keep forgetting that I own. I played it for a bit on PS2, but I was home alone and had friends over when I rented it so we didn't get far.

I got the Collection for Christmas a few years ago, but have yet to play it and don't have as much interest anymore. The first game seemed good, but when the fourth game showed up from a rental service, I couldn't play more than an hour before turning it off.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The "Great Cave Escape" tune is so catchy. I'm listening to it right now while I browse GAF, dare I say it Is Tropical Freeze levels of greatness?

ohlawd

just beat the first world and stage 1 of the next one

been playing just fine without looking at the Pad. let's see how I fare as I play more

Only played a bit on my channel, but it's pretty fun. Love the claymation too. Need to get into this on my own time and maybe replay Canvas Curse too.

Oh man, one of the arrangements is even
a medley of Sky High (Candy Mountain), Gourmet Race, and Sand Canyon, the songs most popularly used in remix videos.

One of the things that's always struck me about the Kirby series is how the developers seem like such huge fans of the series themselves, even relative to other Nintendo franchises. It really shows in this game in particular.

TWILT

Banned
Just finished level 1. The game's so damn colorful, beautiful and fun! Kirby's the most adorable little guy there is.

Rokal

Finished the first 2 levels today. I was a huge fan of Canvas Curse but I'm really not digging the level design in Rainbow Curse. Admittedly, I haven't played Canvas Curse in years, and I just came off of playing Galaxy 2 and 3D Land, but the levels here just feel so ...amateurish. The composition of the levels feels like very small, relatively uninteresting, areas connected randomly until you get to the end. It reminds of a Sonic game.

Unless things get much more cohesive, I think I'll sadly end up regretting this purchase. Maybe the challenge mode stuff will feel a little bit more solid.

bart64

Banned
FWIW, some players have said they are able to look at the TV while drawing the lines on the GamePad. (I'm hoping to be able to do this, too.)
I wouldn't recommend this, it won't get you very far and it will distract you from learning all the precision skills you'll need.

I'm at 2-2 and I'm getting some great vibes from this although I see some uncomfortable departures from canvas curse. It's less crazy, not as psychedelic and schizophrenic as the first. Levels are long, about ten minutes starting with the first level. It's more grounded. Uses a traditional world structure.

But each level has a unique element that is explores thoroughly and the presentation is so damn good. It really made cc look like an experiment, or a b-side. The music is scrumptious, almost hypnotizing. The physics are slower, but as a veteran I'm still getting lost. It will take a few tries to complete each level, collection wise.

But it's tiring. I can play mario forever but this is five times more dense and mentally demanding. I was really inspired by the first worlds but I felt like I just ran ten miles. Felt great though.

Velcro Fly

Might buy the game to have in case it gets scarce later on. Not too sure about the game since I never played Canvas Curse but I love Kirby.

Is this game hard on left handed people? Also how is the amiibo stuff?

AwShucks

Played the first two levels of world 1. I'm enjoying it. It does seem slower than what I remember Canvas Curse being like. But drawing rainbow lines and guiding Kirby is still fun!

Nintendo needs to patch this game ASAP and implement an alternative control scheme. My suggestion is:

1. Use the stylus to make the mouse pointer appear on the screen. Drag the stylus to move mouse pointer.
2. Press L1/ R1 to start drawing. You can also double tap the stylus to start drawing.
3. Release L1/R1 or lift the stylus to stop drawing.

This way, you can look at the TV screen all time and appreciate the beautiful graphics.

Nintendo needs to patch this game ASAP and implement an alternative control scheme. My suggestion is:

1. Use the stylus to make the mouse pointer appear on the screen. Use the stylus the drag the mouse pointer.
2. Press L1/ R1 to start drawing. You can also double tap the stylus to start drawing.
3. Release L1/R1 or lift the stylus to stop drawing.

This way, you can look at the TV screen all time and appreciate the beautiful graphics.

That would actually work, the only thing that bugs me is when you cross out a line to make it disappear the one you drew to cross is out stays there.

Edit:

Here's some quotes from my 6 and 4 year old kids.

"This game is amazing"
"I didn't think this game would be this much fun"
"This is the funest game I've ever played"
"Dad can we play kirby when we wake up tomorrow"

Kids loved the game, I also had a blast playing co-op with them. My daughter used the gamepad the entire time, it took her a good 15 min to get the hang of things but my son and I helped her through things. I don't know if the wii u is turning into my favorite console of all time because of the games or all the awesome co-op sessions with the kids.

That would actually work, the only thing that bugs me is when you cross out a line to make it disappear the one you drew to cross is out stays there.

Edit:

"This game is amazing"

Kids loved the game, I also had a blast playing co-op with them. My daughter used the gamepad the entire time, it took her a good 15 min to get the hang of things but my son and I helped her through things. I don't know if the wii u is turning into my favorite console of all time because of the games or all the awesome co-op sessions with the kids.

Priceless moments with the kids! Enjoy and savor it before they grow up, my friend. :)

Yuterald

This game is exactly what I was in the mood for. Finished World 1 and the first stage of World 2 and it's probably the most fun experience I've had with a 'new' game so far this year (although I've got a sealed Majora's Mask sitting on my shelf and Monster Hunter 4 coming in the mail today). OST is SO fucking good, too (1-3 blew me away). Someone mentioned it earlier,but I'm curious about the medals myself. In Kirby: Return to Dream Land, you could get Platinum Medals in the challenge mode. Seems like Gold is the best you can earn in the challenge rooms here, so I'm assuming it's the same for the regular stages?

Simbabbad

I'm enjoying the game somewhat, but I really wish this was a 3DS title. :(
Yeah, if only this awesome-looking game could be played on the tiniest Nintendo screen currently on the market, and on a less powerful console, and completely ignoring the main appeal of said console (the widescreen 3D screen), all of that for the same price... it'd be AWESOME!

Alright, not having quite as much fun with World 4, lol. Really not a big fan of auto-scrollers in this format, especially when combined with lots of easy to miss treasures. Can see where potential frustration not tied to difficulty could come in.
Heh, I will give impressions when I pick up my copy today. Cannot beat $13.

maxcriden

"This game is amazing"

D'awwwwww :D that is so cute!

Heh, I will give impressions when I pick up my copy today. Cannot beat $13.

$13? Amazing, how'd you swing that?

Original Sly is great, if a bit by-the-numbers. The sequels are what shaped the series' identity in my opinion. Sly 2 is considered the best one, and Sly 3 is like Sly 2 without the filler. Sly 4 is a mixture of Sly 2 and Sly 3's philosophies, really, with a lesser emphasis on non-Sly Cooper playstyles, for better or for worse.

maxcriden

$8 off via GCU
$10 off via free gift card with Monster Hunter 4
$10 rebate card for purchases

Best Buy discounts are awesome.

If only you went in yesterday and asked for Meta Knight. They'd have given you another $5 GC. ;) That's awesome though!

Original Sly is great, if a bit by-the-numbers. The sequels are what shaped the series' identity in my opinion. Sly 2 is considered the best one, and Sly 3 is like Sly 2 without the filler. Sly 4 is a mixture of Sly 2 and Sly 3's philosophies, really, with a lesser emphasis on non-Sly Cooper playstyles, for better or for worse.

Oh, neat. I appreciate the info. I'm looking forward to checking those out, thanks!

SCReuter

Yeah, if only this awesome-looking game could be played on the tiniest Nintendo screen currently on the market, and on a less powerful console, and completely ignoring the main appeal of said console (the widescreen 3D screen), all of that for the same price... it'd be AWESOME!

Thank you. I don't think people realize that Rainbow Curse would have to be played on the bottom screen of the 3DS in order to work... meaning no 16:9 and no stereoscopic 3D.

TheMoon

no wiimote support i take it?

Nope, as expected. Because it wouldn't work.

I wish people could try prototype versions with Wiimote controls and a 3DS build so everyone would realize that neither of them work or make sense for this game.

Thank you. I don't think people realize that Rainbow Curse would have to be played on the bottom screen of the 3DS in order to work... meaning no 16:9 and no stereoscopic 3D.

Exactly!

Somethings to note from playing yesterday.

-Playing this on your bed while lying down is impossible, you will get neck pain
-This game has to be played at a certain angle otherwise you'll obscure the screen partially with your hand
-The claims of being able to use the TV with the tablet in this game are bullshit, such a thing is impossible. Stick to using the pad only

One question by the way, does this game have copy abilities like in Canvas curse or no?

Don't get me wrong by the way, I'm enjoying the game but like I said before it's impossible for the person using Kirby to enjoy the 1080p visuals on a TV. This game is on the wrong platform.

Formless

Looks like if you press lightly on the pad you can just see the cursor. I've had no luck doing this consistently though.

Yuterald

I've found myself looking up and down a lot, actually. I don't have much of an issue with drawing the lines without looking at the pad, but tapping Kirby to do a dash is definitely hit or miss without looking down (unless I'm just not used to it yet). I think someone said it earlier, but I'll echo it anyway; would have been cool if there was an option to assign the dash to a button/trigger. I guess it's not the most ideal setup, but it's not making me like the game any less. Everything else is just too good.

AwShucks

I bit updated impressions. I beat the first two worlds and a couple of challenges. I'm loving it. I love the bosses and the different things you need to do with the rainbow lines (stopping things, removing things, moving Kirby, etc).

One note is that using the stylus so much is actually a bit painful for me. So that's unfortunate but I just won't play too long at a time. I'm already 24% done as it is.

oneran

Nope, as expected. Because it wouldn't work.

I wish people could try prototype versions with Wiimote controls and a 3DS build so everyone would realize that neither of them work or make sense for this game.

Exactly!

I agree with the Wiimote controls not working, but to say a 3DS build wouldn't work or make sense is a bit overkill. The Wiiu is more ideally suited but the game would work perfectly fine(albeit alot less pretty) on the 3ds just like canvas curse did on the ds.

TheMoon

I agree with the Wiimote controls not working, but to say a 3DS build wouldn't work or make sense is a bit overkill. The Wiiu is more ideally suited but the game would work perfectly fine(albeit alot less pretty) on the 3ds just like canvas curse did on the ds.

No it wouldn't. Because you would have to play on a screen that is not the top screen. Which is just not what happens on the 3DS. The Wii U is the console equivalent to the DS, not the 3DS. Hence why this is a Wii U game and not a 3DS game.

Top Bottom