• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

maxcriden

My wife and I have to finish Sly Cooper before we play this. So I'll be picking it up after work but probably not playing it till tomorrow. It's going to be hard not just popping it in immediately but if we get sidetracked with it we probably won't go back to Sly Cooper anytime soon, and we're really enjoying it immensely.

I don't have much interest in this game right now (being European), but that OT title...

200_s.gif

Bog

Junior Ace
The song lyric is "players gonna play play play play play." I changed "play" to "clay." It's a play on words. See also:

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)
Pushmo/Pullblox World | OT | I see a little silhouetto of a Mallo
Mega Man: Battle Network | OT | Don't be fooled by the chips I've got

Seems a little forced, that's all.

My Best Buy didn't get this in despite me getting the email that's it ready to be picked up. None of the other best buys in town got it either. Apparently neither did The Targets. I was able to pickup my amiibo and The Order 1886 preorders from Best Buy this morning however.

Leninpest

My Best Buy didn't get this in despite me getting the email that's it ready to be picked up. None of the other best buys in town got it either. Apparently neither did The Targets. I was able to pickup my amiibo and The Order 1886 preorders from Best Buy this morning however.

Yeah, I stopped by Best Buy solely to pick this up and they hadn't received anything... Don't really want to get it anywhere else since I have GCU and a $5 giftcard. Not sure if I should try again after work or wait until tomorrow.

Anyone have any advice?

Yeah, I stopped by Best Buy solely to pick this up and they hadn't received anything... Don't really want to get it anywhere else since I have GCU and a $5 giftcard. Not sure if I should try again after work or wait until tomorrow.

Anyone have any advice?

Mine told me they should get it within a few days. I might buy it from GameStop and once Best Buy gets it in, return that one to Gamestop.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I finished the first level and missed two treasures, couldn't find them anywhere. Oh well!

I finished the first World and the only treasure I can't find is the final one on 1-3. I know it's probably really simple, but I just keep missing it.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I finished the first World and the only treasure I can't find is the final one on 1-3. I know it's probably really simple, but I just keep missing it.

If you want some vague help:
It's in an area where you need to launch up with the star launch thing. Look for spots where you could conceivably launch yourself up, there's no arrow or anything letting you know you can go up there.

antibolo

Banned
Are the game's controls friendly to left-handed players? As in, no bullshit where it requires the left hand to operate the left side while drawing with the right hand, with no equivalent controls on the right side?

The optional stylus mode they patched in Pikmin 3 was a big "fuck you" to left-handed players. I expect better of Nintendo-published games.

Just got this game. I like it but it somehow doesn't feel as smooth as Canvas Curse. I can't put my finger on what it is.

Why the heck can't you kill enemies by tapping them and then rolling into them? I keep trying to do it without thinking and it's actually really annoying.

Just got this game. I like it but it somehow doesn't feel as smooth as Canvas Curse. I can't put my finger on what it is.

Why the heck can't you kill enemies by tapping them and then rolling into them? I keep trying to do it without thinking and it's actually really annoying.
I think because Canvas Curse you can see the screen and stylus. Either you give up resolution to see where you go or you have to play hard mode guessing where your hand is.
I am going to give up the HD graphics because I am too OCD to not get every chest.

bart64

Banned
Paid $40 to play this on a tiny touch screen with simple graphics so playing on the gamepad with this nice rendered clay will be great in comparison. If the multiplayer on the tv is fun then the setup will be fully justified. Just hope they didn't dumb it down too much gameplay wise, seems they tried to make it more accessible.

I think because Canvas Curse you can see the screen and stylus. Either you give up resolution to see where you go or you have to play hard mode guessing where your hand is.
I am going to give up the HD graphics because I am too OCD to not get every chest.

Haven't turned the TV on once. I never expected to be able to play this game on the TV and haven't attempted too.

It just... I don't know, it feels less smooth. And I REALLY wish you could stun enemies by tapping on them.

Platy

Some of those reviews (mostly video reviews) talk about how beautiful the game is and complain that you need to play on the low resolution gamepad .... and ends the text saying that it should be better fitter to an even smaller resolution of a portable o_O

I should've put something on TV while playing, but I was too lazy to do so and just left the game on there as well. The sound was coming out of the TV, but I played on the GamePad and looked at the TV whenever possible.

It only took about 5 hours to beat anyways. Probably would've been less if not for a bunch of frustrating deaths.

TheMoon

Some of those reviews (mostly video reviews) talk about how beautiful the game is and complain that you need to play on the low resolution gamepad .... and ends the text saying that it should be better fitter to an even smaller resolution of a portable o_O

Coherent logic and common sense are things you should not expect to find in most video game reviews.

Septimius

The art-style doesn't interest me, and the gameplay does nothing for me. I might be misunderstanding something, but drawing lines to move Kirby strikes me as something that'd be on iOS, and not a full-blown game.

TheMoon

The art-style doesn't interest me, and the gameplay does nothing for me. I might be misunderstanding something, but drawing lines to move Kirby strikes me as something that'd be on iOS, and not a full-blown game.

It's a sequel to a DS game. A full-blown game.

bart64

Banned

Because pressing a direction and jumping is more complicated and more deserving? If it's a fraction of the depth of canvas curse it will still be more immersive and interesting than a typical platformer.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm not directly comparing the games, but it's interesting to see the praise Canvas Curse received coming out prior to the tablet era and one criticism of Rainbow Curse being "You could have done this on a tablet". I wonder if people would have the same complaints about not looking at the television and 'could be a tablet game' if it were on the 3DS.

Maybe, but I don't think it would work on iOS without a stylus (and capacitive stylii are horrible).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
- Rainbow Curse starts off with a nice little silent opening (much improved compared the usual Kirby Saturday morning voice over opening)
- plays extremely similar to Canvas Curse, seems a bit slower though.
- the clay graphics are amazing as you probably know by now. I'm playing with the screen off during single player sessions, I don't mind using the Gamerpad at all.
- I'm really impressed with the music so far, each level within the first world have had unique and very catchy tunes.
- the levels of world 1 have been pretty easy so far, I collected most of the chests on my first playthrough. The introduction of new concepts isn't hammered into your skull through a tutorial, and instead smoothly interpreted into gameplay, which is a always nice.
- Kirby's supermove is a bit hard to control.
- I have only played one level on multiplayer, but the levels within World 1 seem to be built more for single-player sessions. With that said, the GF and I had fun with 2-players. We had trouble keeping together (the screen seems to follow Kirby), but it wasn't too big of a deal. I'll add more impressions of multiplayer when I have more time to dive into it.

So far so good! Anything in particular you guys/gals want to know?

- Rainbow Curse starts off with a nice little silent opening (much improved compared the usual Kirby Saturday morning voice over opening)
- plays extremely similar to Canvas Curse, seems a bit slower though.
- the clay graphics are amazing as you probably know by now. I'm playing with the screen off during single player sessions, I don't mind using the Gamerpad at all.
- I'm really impressed with the music so far, each level within the first world have had unique and very catchy tunes.
- the levels of world 1 have been pretty easy so far, I collected most of the chests on my first playthrough. The introduction of new concepts isn't hammered into your skull through a tutorial, and instead smoothly interpreted into gameplay, which is a always nice.
- Kirby's supermove is a bit hard to control.
- I have only played one level on multiplayer, but the levels within World 1 seem to be built more for single-player sessions. With that said, the GF and I had fun with 2-players. We had trouble keeping together (the screen seems to follow Kirby), but it wasn't too big of a deal. I'll add more impressions of multiplayer when I have more time to dive into it.

I second everything here. Music is fantastic, and as someone who didn't particularly like Canvas Curse, this game is really good.

There are also 48 challenges that are unlocked by completing certain bonus objectives, and those challenges open up special challenge rooms.

Ultimadrago

- I don't know if you're using Amiibo support, but do you (or anyone else) know if the powers used through it are merely temporary?

- I hear not minding the idea of viewing it solely through the GamePad, but does it seem unplayable attempting to play without looking at the GamePad?

maxcriden

have heard this a few times, is it because of the frame rate? I read somewhere they intentionally made the frame rate low to give it a more stop motion animation feel

I might be mistaken, but I think the game in general runs at 60 fps but the character animations are 30 fps to give that claymation/stop-motion feel.

Seik

Banned
Totally forgot that it's coming out today!

I may grab it on my way back from work, I'm really curious about if I'm going to like it or not.

My wife and I have to finish Sly Cooper before we play this. So I'll be picking it up after work but probably not playing it till tomorrow. It's going to be hard not just popping it in immediately but if we get sidetracked with it we probably won't go back to Sly Cooper anytime soon, and we're really enjoying it immensely.

I assume you're referring to Sly 4: Thieves In Time? Yep, that's a good game. Have fun, finish it first before moving on to this.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
How does the game look on the GamePad? Top tier (MK8), low tier (Sonic All Stars), in between?

TheMoon

I might be mistaken, but I think the game in general runs at 60 fps but the character animations are 30 fps to give that claymation/stop-motion feel.

yes, it's just the animation frames that are slower. not the image refresh rate. I remember someone throwing a fit because they didn't comprehend this properly.

- I don't know if you're using Amiibo support, but do you (or anyone else) know if the powers used through it are merely temporary?

- I hear not minding the idea of viewing it solely through the GamePad, but does it seem unplayable attempting to play without looking at the GamePad?

How does the game look on the GamePad? Top tier (MK8), low tier (Sonic All Stars), in between?

Amiibos are once per day, per power up, and only last until you lose a life. I'm mostly playing on the gamepad, its a little challenging setting up lines or tapping Kirby while you look at the screen.

It looks great on gamepad, but currently I've got the pad plugged in and cranked up to brightness level 5.

Ultimadrago

Amiibos are once per day, per power up, and only last until you lose a life. I'm mostly playing on the gamepad, its a little challenging setting up lines or tapping Kirby while you look at the screen.

It looks great on gamepad, but currently I've got the pad plugged in and cranked up to brightness level 5.

That restricted? Man.

And yeah, I forgot the part where I control Kirby. Ah well, will be playing multi-player anyways, so I'll likely switch off on that (as I really want to see at least some of it on the TV).

Debating picking this up now or grabbing Captain Toad first. Either way I'll get it eventually - Canvas Curse was amazing.

Any idea if this has unlockable characters like Canvas Curse did? I would love to be able to play as Meta Knight - real Meta Knight, not Kirby in a mask - again.

Hero

Debating picking this up now or grabbing Captain Toad first. Either way I'll get it eventually - Canvas Curse was amazing.

Any idea if this has unlockable characters like Canvas Curse did? I would love to be able to play as Meta Knight - real Meta Knight, not Kirby in a mask - again.

If you buy amiibo, then yes. :)

Aeana

One of my biggest complaints so far is that the levels tend to be very claustrophobic with a lot of one-way gates which prevent you from going backward, either in the form of doors, or in one-way platforms. Canvas Curse tended to have large open rooms to break up the smaller corridor areas, and I feel those are really missing here. That plus really missing the Kirby powerups is kinda dragging the experience down for me.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
have heard this a few times, is it because of the frame rate? I read somewhere they intentionally made the frame rate low to give it a more stop motion animation feel

I'm pretty sure it is running at 60 fps. Kirby just seems to move slower.

I tried playing while looking at the TV and it seemed unplayable to me. Maybe you could get accustomed to it eventually, but drawing the lines in the right place and touching Kirby require too much precision to do right off the bat without looking at the actual Gamerpad.

I haven't tried the amiibos out yet.

Top Bottom