• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

Grabbed a copy along with a pro controller for smash. I'll probably give this a whirl at some point tonight; desperately trying to finish Wind Waker as well.

Some of those reviews (mostly video reviews) talk about how beautiful the game is and complain that you need to play on the low resolution gamepad .... and ends the text saying that it should be better fitter to an even smaller resolution of a portable o_O
It is mostly a case of still getting SD visuals for the most part + having it portable.
I am picking it up along with Metaknight Amiibo, so I will see for myself.
GCU means it will be close enough to $30 to consider it.

Though I'm not a fan of how you unlock a diary page.

Yeah, didn't realize I should be aiming for those until just now, so I'm gonna need to replay the levels just for those while I got the rest of the collectibles.

I'll also echo the sentiment that one-way floors preventing you from going back are too abundant. The roomier areas when you can mess around and explore are a lot more fun.

Really digging the game so far, though.

slop101

Banned
Complaining that you can't play this game on the TV is so weird and I don't get it.
I do get it.

I have this nice huge HDTV in front of my face, and I have to look down at this shitty little screen in my lap in order to properly play the game. That's some seriously deficient bullshit right there. Though I'm not sure what they could do to fix it - maybe precise wand control, like pointing the Wii-mote to the screen to draw the ramps?

I do get it.

I have this nice huge HDTV in front of my face, and I have to look down at this shitty little screen in my lap in order to properly play the game. That's some seriously deficient bullshit right there. Though I'm not sure what they could do to fix it - maybe precise wand control, like pointing the Wii-mote to the screen to draw the ramps?

It would be nice if there was some sort of ghosted stylus on the TV screen so you could see what you were drawing.

Mecca

People who are suggesting that using the Wii remote to draw need to play the train levels in Kirby's Epic Yarn. It was a huge pain to maneuver and would not have been better.

antibolo

Banned
I do get it.

Come on now. The whole point of the game is stylus control, because you're drawing on the screen with a human interface that resembles a pen. Wii Remote control would not feel the same at all, and would probably be harder to control because it wouldn't be as precise.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
More multiplayer impressions (from world 1):

Like I said earlier, the screen follows Kirby, so it is hard to keep up at times. Waddle Dee can strike opponents, run, jump multiple times, and skate/spear attack on rainbows. When playing with Waddle Dees, the grab hand (the bad guy) will randomly appear and try and take Kirby away. It is up to the Waddle Dees to protect Kirby from the grab hand. These events only happens during multiplayer. Waddle Dee deaths do not take away from Kirby's life stocks. At the end of a match, the Waddle Dees are ranked based on how many stars they collect.

Level 2 of World 1 is vertical level, requiring many vertical rainbows to transverse. Waddle Dee can not climb the vertical rainbows (to my knowledge), so you spend a lot of times being teleported up to Kirby. Now, a friendly Kirby can make steps for you, or a dick Kirby can just leave you behind. Your experience will just depend on who you are playing with. I believe you can pass through rainbows though, so at least they can't just repeatedly draw circles around you.

Like I said earlier, Rainbow Curse's levels seem to have been developed with single-player in mind, with a multiplayer co-op mode added-on. For helping a less skilled player, the co-op seems to work pretty well. As far as a bunch of gamers getting together and playing with a Kirby and 4 Waddle Dees... Well, I'm just not confident that such a experience will be that fun.

People who are suggesting that using the Wii remote to draw need to play the train levels in Kirby's Epic Yarn. It was a huge pain to maneuver and would not have been better.

This was the first thing I thought of when people mentioned the Wiimotes. Those spots were brutal.

kevm3

they should have made the wii u game a standard kirby game using that art style and then put this on the 3ds. I can understand how people don't want to have to look at the wii u remote screen when the game has graphics as nice as it does.

holy shit can we just get all the music arrangements in this game as DLC for smash bros

was really excited to hear the
air ride medley
in particular

Platy

A "less worst" way to play on tv would be using the pen as some short of "mouse" only to move the cursor to see on the TV and using L or R to draw the lines. In that way it would work like a Wacom Tablet on pc

...or just L because Nintendo hates lefties =P

Aeana

they should have made the wii u game a standard kirby game using that art style and then put this on the 3ds. I can understand how people don't want to have to look at the wii u remote screen when the game has graphics as nice as it does.
I've been playing the game without looking at the gamepad. It takes some practice, but it works. The 3DS's best screen isn't a touchscreen either so it wouldn't be optimal there either.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I don't believe this game is a gem, but it's a signature title. Another game only Wii U can offer on a console.

Wii U needs titles like this, it's what will make people remember it fondly.

Oh oh oh did anyone catch how
in the clay sculpture collection room there's framed pictures of level backgrounds from Canvas Curse?

I would totally buy those.

slop101

Banned
Come on now. The whole point of the game is stylus control, because you're drawing on the screen with a human interface that resembles a pen. Wii Remote control would not feel the same at all, and would probably be harder to control because it wouldn't be as precise.
Well, obviously they'd have to redesign the game to account for that as well. As it is, I won't see most of the beautiful details this game is trying to show me.

Marvie_3

Banned
I've only played the first level so far but this game is incredibly fun. Plus, the art style is amazing. Can't wait to play more this weekend!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've been playing the game without looking at the gamepad. It takes some practice, but it works. The 3DS's best screen isn't a touchscreen either so it wouldn't be optimal there either.
It looks like you prefered to adapt and play it on the TV. How would you say Kirby looks on the GamePad, Aeana?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just played the first two levels. Things got interesting already. I like the verticality.

Graphics are a sight to behold
not so much on the gamepad

I can see why some reviewers had difficulties with the controls, but they aren't 4/10 bad. God forbid that the game isn't a cakewalk. The music is sooooooooo good.

My town got 2 copies, both were at Gamestop.
Seriously NoA way to let it die.
Edit: Shipment is coming tomorrow for most stores. Eh I will wait before overreacting.

zroid

Banned
this is off-tv compatible right?

(I know this is a stupid question but just want to make sure there aren't any HUD elements exclusively on the TV, or text, or something like that)

Berordn

this is off-tv compatible right?

(I know this is a stupid question but just want to make sure there aren't any HUD elements exclusively on the TV, or text, or something like that)

You never have to turn the TV on if you don't want to.

Septimius

Because pressing a direction and jumping is more complicated and more deserving? If it's a fraction of the depth of canvas curse it will still be more immersive and interesting than a typical platformer.

I just think back to "direction button and jumping" games of Kirby, and when I heard about this game, that's what I wanted. I'm just not excited about the main gameplay mechanic, and I'll be passing on the game for that reason. I just felt I would be excited for a Kirby Super Star type game.

Maybe, but I don't think it would work on iOS without a stylus (and capacitive stylii are horrible).

I know, I know. I'm not saying it would be a good game on iOS, only that the gameplay mechanic somehow reminds me of iOS, or at least handheld like the DS, which makes sense, given Canvas Course.

That's a bit ironic considering Canvas Curse came out before iOS

I was trying to word my feelings, and I thought more of.. sort of.. flash games and other time-filler type games, perhaps especially reminding me of that game where you draw a crouse for a sled to go through. I'm sure it's a good game, I'm just saying it's a bit of a shame that I'm not completely taken by this, since that mechanic doesn't trigger me.

Now my Wii Gamepad needs charging.
Guess I will play it tomorrow...
Can buy it for $22 anyways!
Edit: Checkout for $13. That is more like it!

Well, it's been a long 10 hour day at work, but I finally got this baby in my hands. I was lucky enough to grab the last copy of the shelf at Best Buy. I don't know whether they had more somewhere else or not though. Can't wait to play tonight!

Well, it's been a long 10 hour day at work, but I finally got this baby in my hands. I was lucky enough to grab the last copy of the shelf at Best Buy. I don't know whether they had more somewhere else or not though. Can't wait to play tonight!
Seems the south got late shipments. Good luck to those that really want it.

Defect

This game is great so far. I'm trying to get all the chests, pages, and gold medal every level.

Challenge mode is fun too.

lt519

Oh man, just played the first two levels and am loving it. Everything I loved about Canvas Curse and it's a joy exploring the big levels and hunting for the treasures. Got all the chests and diaries in the first two levels but only finished the second level with a silver. Controls really well but I do have to look at the Gamepad. Little disappointed in that just because it's such a good looking game.

The music is sooooooooo good.

I was already humming along by the second level. The controls are totally fine I think, basically just have to get good at a new mechanic which some people I think never bothered to do. There's no "I didn't want him to do that" moments but more "A shit I just drew a crap line that ran into a wall" moments.

What the heck? I don't get the controls in this game at all. And why no cursor on the TV? I think this might be the first 1st party Nintendo game I return. The controls are bizarre.

Got my UPS package about an hour ago and played through the first couple of levels. Liking it so far, but for whatever reason I remember the DS one being faster. So far, the traversal in this one seems a bit slow (and yes, I'm tapping Kirby to dash). I think this may be more of a "how I remember it vs reality" situation, but I may also just need some time to get back into the groove.

The DS game also had time trials for each stage, right? Or maybe it was a mode dedicated to racing through the levels? If so, that might be where I'm pulling those memories from.

impact

Banned
What the heck? I don't get the controls in this game at all. And why no cursor on the TV? I think this might be the first 1st party Nintendo game I return. The controls are bizarre.

cuz apparently you're supposed to play the whole thing on the controller

I know it's really lame for those of us with awesome TVs to be stuck staring at this crappy Gamepad screen with terrible color reproduction. Nintendo don't care.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Got my UPS package about an hour ago and played through the first couple of levels. Liking it so far, but for whatever reason I remember the DS one being faster. So far, the traversal in this one seems a bit slow (and yes, I'm tapping Kirby to dash). I think this may be more of a "how I remember it vs reality" situation, but I may also just need some time to get back into the groove.

The DS game also had time trials for each stage, right? Or maybe it was a mode dedicated to racing through the levels? If so, that might be where I'm pulling those memories from.

Yeah,, there were time trials, and also another mode where you were limited to specific amounts of ink if you wanted the medals.

Got the game along with a free Kirby Amiibo thanks to the Toys R Us pre-order bonus. Just finished the first stage and got all the figures and the first music track on my first try. Really love the game so far, I was a huge fan of Canvas Curse on DS so this was a no brainer for me. The claymation graphics are simply beautiful, I love Nintendo's artistic approach to certain series like this and the Yoshi games. Also, I was thinking how incredible would an Earthbound remake or Mother sequel look using this graphics engine? The game would look just like the player's guide come to life!

Yeah, it's very workable. I've mainly been using the Gamepad on trickier star chains/super boosts or the bonus related rooms. It is very possible to enjoy this game's visuals while looking at your TV much of the time.

maxcriden

I assume you're referring to Sly 4: Thieves In Time? Yep, that's a good game. Have fun, finish it first before moving on to this.

Actually I was referring to the original Sly. I have a funny history with the game. I ordered an eBay auction after E3 2002 which contained a swag bag including a demo disc for Sly. I remember really enjoying the demo. When the game came out I played it a bit but never got too into it. My wife and I have been playing some great PS2 games lately so I picked up Sly. We finished it tonight (82%, so everything except the time trials), and it was ridiculously fun. Just an awesome, clever, cute and fun game that really stands the test of time. It feels like it's barely aged in 12+ years since its release. We're looking forward to checking out more games in the series!

Tomorrow: Kirby!

Top Bottom