• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Rolling, Painting, Polarizing REVIEW thread

Not aimed at your specifically since you argue it should be both on Wii U and 3DS, but I don't get the "it should be on 3DS" thing with this game.
It's a stylus game only, and the 3DS main screen, the wider, bigger, 3D effect one, it the top screen with no touch capability. Playing only in the smaller, less interesting screen while the top one isn't used at all is actually much worse than the situation on Wii U.
I agree with you as well. I mean we are getting a game on both platforms with the new Mario and Donkey Kong game.
How hard would it been to code it using the web language?

Then again, they say it is impossible to use the controller while watching the TV, so maybe they programmed it to only work on one screen.
Meaning the Wii U release means we are forced gamepad 480p.

after having read some reviews, my considerations:

I loved Kirby canvas course on DS
I love to play on the Gamepad for OFFtv
I was able to play also without looking at the gamepad during the demo I've tried
It was gorgeous to see both on the TV Screen and the Gamepad
I think you are right, but it seems the difficulty curve bumps up. On Canvas Curse you could still see the stylus and game. I do not think the people having a hard time are lying. I bet during later levels where you have to be precise, it will be near impossible to do.

Mory Dunz

Yeah, there's only been three good Kirby games in my opinion. Super star, 64, and the golf game. The rest are boring to annoying.

Not only you,
But how can people like Superstar and not like Return to Dreamland? I mean, they're essentially the same thing, or same style. Except you can play with 4 people in Return to Dreamland.

I'm not saying it's better or starting that kind of argument, I just felt that it was pretty much the spiritual sequel.

I know I enjoyed it.

TI82

Banned
Not only you,
But how can people like Superstar and not like Return to Dreamland? I mean, they're essentially the same thing, or same style. Except you can play with 4 people in Return to Dreamland.

I'm not saying it's better or starting that kind of argument, I just felt that it was pretty much the spiritual sequel.

I know I enjoyed it.

To be honest I forgot it existed and haven't played it (lol).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
after having read some reviews, my considerations:

I loved Kirby canvas course on DS
I love to play on the Gamepad for OFFtv
I was able to play also without looking at the gamepad during the demo I've tried
It was gorgeous to see both on the TV Screen and the Gamepad

So, basically, I think I'll really like this game, and it being a 40 bucks release it's nice too.
Only concern: the PAL release date.......!!!!!!!!!!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
After reading some of the reviews which are a lot worse than expected, I can't believe it but this game might be a "pass" for me after all. Canvas Curse is the only main Kirby game I skipped (prefer traditional Kirby style games) and hearing you have to look @ the ugly ass Gamepad screen for most of the game sucked all the excitement out of it for me. I like the Gamepad screen for maps, menus and Virtual Console titles but Wii U games look terrible on that screen and I'm not here for that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Return to Dreamland is fantastic.

KingV

1. The only time I've used it extensively is to play Hyrule Warriors co-op. It looked pretty jaggy to me.
  2. Even if you have a low-end, 720p Insignia, your TV will still look better.
  3. The comparison to "console-qualtiy" mobile games (whatever that even means) is completely irrelevant. Even if it was comprable, those games are processed on the phone itself, limited in size to 2GB. The Wii U does the processing and beams the output to the display. A better comparison would be PS4/Vita streaming or Nvidia Shield. Both have much higher PPIs.

You can defend the gamepad on many grounds, but saying it has a good resolution relative to its size is completely asinine.

1) Never played it, so can't commentcomment
2) The Wii U gamepad actually has a higher DPI than a 24" 720P display. Bayonetta is noticeably less jaggy on the gamepad, so is Super Mario 3D World
3) the earlier post mentioned that phones have higher resolution displays, therefore 480p sucks. My point is that free phone games have graphics or complexity approaching most Wii U games, and of the few that do, none to my knowledge render at the native resolution of the phone screen. And in fact, the one most recent example I can think of, actually renders at a lower resolution than the Wii u gamepad.

I kind of agree on shield and vita remote play, but those are much more expensive setups too.

Edit: fwiw I prefer playing on TV too, but my point is that you can't actually get a better experience on your phone, in general for the same types of games that you can on the game pad, especially at 60 fps.

SMattera

1) Never played it, so can't commentcomment
2) The Wii U gamepad actually has a higher DPI than a 24" 720P display. Bayonetta is noticeably less jaggy on the gamepad, so is Super Mario 3D World
3) the earlier post mentioned that phones have higher resolution displays, therefore 480p sucks. My point is that free phone games have graphics or complexity approaching most Wii U games, and of the few that do, none to my knowledge render at the native resolution of the phone screen. And in fact, the one most recent example I can think of, actually renders at a lower resolution than the Wii u gamepad.

I kind of agree on shield and vita remote play, but those are much more expensive setups too.

Edit: fwiw I prefer playing on TV too, but my point is that you can't actually get a better experience on your phone, in general for the same types of games that you can on the game pad, especially at 60 fps.

But you'll be sitting at least a couple feet away from the TV, so you won't notice the difference.

The graphical quality of mobile games has nothing to do with the quality of their display technology. Mobile game creators have to deal with many constraints that Nintendo -- with the Wii U -- doesn't.

The point is, simply, by just about any reasonable measure, the quality of the screen on the Wii U gamepad is atrocious. You can buy $50 tablets on Amazon with much better displays.

To clarify, I don't think forcing people to play with the gamepad is necessarily bad. It's completely brilliant in certain situations -- games like Mario Chase or Wario Ware, where people take turns using the gamepad and pass it around. But to essentially create a 5 hour, campaign-based game that forces somewhere to stare at the terrible gamepad screen while they have a nice TV right in front of them is just...dumb.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
the quality of the screen on the Wii U gamepad is atrocious
This is hyperbolic beyond hyperbole. It's iPad one quality with 60fps and usually super colorful games. With a very low latency, better than most TVs. Perfectly serviceable for the convenience it offers.

Simbabbad

Return to Dreamland is fantastic.
Agreed, I just bought it today on Wii U (European here) and Gosh, it's really the best Kirby game IMO. The challenge room are so tight, and the game is so charming. The movesets for each power are all excellent. And tons of modes...

TI82

Banned
This is hyperbolic beyond hyperbole. It's iPad one quality with 60fps and usually super colorful games. With a very low latency, better than most TVs. Perfectly serviceable for the convenience it offers.

What do you mean "iPad one quality"? It's smaller, lower quality,lower resolution , and resistive tech...

SMattera

What do you mean "iPad one quality"? It's smaller, lower quality,lower resolution , and resistive tech...

The original iPad had a lower PPI than the Wii U gamepad. It was, however, better display technology overall.

Still, I don't think that's really relevant. The iPad was released in early 2010. Was -- for all practical purposes -- the first tablet PC ever, and was rapidly upgraded in subsequent installments.

But this all really beside the point. I don't care that my gamepad has poor resolution. Just don't make me stare at it the entire time I'm playing a game.

TI82

Banned
The original iPad had a lower PPI than the Wii U gamepad. It was, however, better display technology overall.

Still, I don't think that's really relevant. The iPad was released in early 2010. Was -- for all practical purposes -- the first tablet PC ever, and was rapidly upgraded in subsequent installments.

But this all really beside the point. I don't care that my gamepad has poor resolution. Just don't make me stare at it the entire time I'm playing a game.

Yeah, not really trying to get what he is saying by referring to an ancient (by tech standards) display piece...

RM8

I play WiiU games exclusively on the game pad so that's hardly a deal breaker for me. So I guess I should be fine, right? I actually prefer these weird Kirby spin offs over the last traditional Kirby games (I found Wii and Triple Deluxe a bit too safe and predictable, while Canvas Curse [which I actually didn't play at release] and especially Mass Attack were fantastic). Can't wait to play it :]

KingV

But you'll be sitting at least a couple feet away from the TV, so you won't notice the difference.

The graphical quality of mobile games has nothing to do with the quality of their display technology. Mobile game creators have to deal with many constraints that Nintendo -- with the Wii U -- doesn't.

The point is, simply, by just about any reasonable measure, the quality of the screen on the Wii U gamepad is atrocious. You can buy $50 tablets on Amazon with much better displays.

To clarify, I don't think forcing people to play with the gamepad is necessarily bad. It's completely brilliant in certain situations -- games like Mario Chase or Wario Ware, where people take turns using the gamepad and pass it around. But to essentially create a 5 hour, campaign-based game that forces somewhere to stare at the terrible gamepad screen while they have a nice TV right in front of them is just...dumb.

Nintendo, for better or worse, always only puts exactly what is needed into their hardware. I agree that you can get a better 1080P screen on a $50 android tablet, but that tablet in all likelihood will not have the graphical power to play Bayonetta 2 (or whatever half decent Wii U game) at 1080P at 60 FPS. If someone were to make games like Bayonetta 2 for Android, that $50 tablet would probably run at 30 fps framerate at a sub-HD resolution. So, while the screen might be better, you will never actually see any benefit of it in video games, outside of low power smartphone style games. The one exception to this is probably the Nvidia shield stuff, which look legitly pretty powerful.

As for the resolution this display calculator: http://isthisretina.com/

Suggests that a 5" 480P screen at 18" is equivalent to 32" 720P screen at 75". In that sense, 480P seems kind of good enough. At any rate, I personally don't think it looks bad at all.

It could be (though Nintendo will never say) that there is some kind of technological limitation with streaming higher than 480P while keeping the latency and framerate where Nintendo wanted it using technology available at the time. From what I have read about PS4 remote play and Nvidia game streaming, both latency and dynamic resolution changes are problems, whereas neither really is on the Wii U.

Peltz

To be honest, almost EVERY Kirby game is polarizing. For example, Triple Deluxe was both one of the best Kirby games and one of the most forgettable AT THE SAME TIME in my opinion.

Don't ask me how that's possible. It just is... It's one of the great mysteries of this series. It delivers totally fun forgettable experiences. It has some of the best gameplay, but inspires some of the least passion out of me as a long time fan.

Anyway, I can't wait to pick this game up, enjoy it, and not really rave much about it. Don't ask me why. Because I still couldn't tell you why. All I know is I love me some Kirby, and yet fully recognize it's B-Tier in my heart.

stuminus3

You know this whole it costs $40 but is x hours long. I can't help but be remind of Pilotwings Resort in that regard (or even Luigi's Mansion back in 2001).
As a random aside... my family and I still love to play through the original Luigi's Mansion, 14 years later. Our love for that game is very much at odds with what the so-called professionals told us at the time. Some games are just special, regardless of what bullet points it may or may not hit.

"After bringing us a boring, bland and forgettable 3DS platformer..."

Guess I'll stop reading there. Triple Deluxe is fantastic.

To be honest, almost EVERY Kirby game is polarizing. For example, Triple Deluxe was both one of the best Kirby games and one of the most forgettable AT THE SAME TIME in my opinion.

Don't ask me how that's possible. It just is... It's one of the great mysteries of this series. It delivers totally fun forgettable experiences. It has some of the best gameplay, but inspires some of the least passion out of me as a long time fan.

Anyway, I can't wait to pick this game up, enjoy it, and not really rave much about it. Don't ask me why. Because I still couldn't tell you why. All I know is I love me some Kirby, and yet fully recognize it's B-Tier in my heart.

To each, their own, I guess.

I played through it myself, and wasn't much of a fan. It was dull.

SMattera

Ok so I actually played a couple of levels.

It's not as bad as I hoped.

Actually the art style is done in such a way that it looks decent on the gamepad screen.

Mohonky

Interesting. I watched the giantbomb quicklook having been slightly interested in this as I have never played a Kirby game.

Didnt really do a lot for me watching it, so surprised to see a bunch of 9's and 8's.

SMattera

I'm going to do some couch co-op later and I'll post my thoughts. But I've really enjoyed the levels I've played so far.

So much fun i love it. Love love love the clay aesthetic and probably the best music in a Kirby game. Though it's weird they took out some stuff from Canvas Curse, like it's copy abilities, and tapping off stuff to interact (like stunning enemies), i liked those and miss them a bit.

Top Bottom