• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Rolling, Painting, Polarizing REVIEW thread

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Can't believe people are complaining so much about playing on the gamepad. How did you enjoy Nintendo games before 2012? This constant need to whine about resolution is tiring; if the game is fun who gives a hoot? I can't take anyone seriously who thinks this should be an ios/eshop title either. Since when did downloadable game = x amount of gameplay hours?

Don't forget to add that the display in question even is reasonably small so that 480p actually is a nice resolution for it.

LOCK

the length of movies really isn't that much different. they are all pretty much 90 minutes to 180 minutes. you're not gonna get a movie that lasts 4 times longer than another one
You must like to pick at straws. That is still a difference in time in a mature medium at the same price point. We don't read movie reviews and see complaints that you have to pay the same price for horrible movies compared to good ones. Generally they state if you should see it or not. Game reviews should be the same.

You must like to pick at straws. That is still a difference in length.
no shit it's a different length, I'm pretty sure I indicated that in my post. You must like not reading posts and missing people's points /assuming they are just grasping at straws because they didn't agree with your analogy

Yoshi

You must like to pick at straws. That is still a difference in time in a mature medium at the same price point. We don't read movie reviews and see complaints that you have to pay the same price for horrible movies compared to good ones. Generally they state if you should see it or not. Game reviews should be the same.

Games do have different prices though, more significantly than movies (which still have small differences due to extra pays for longer movies / movies that are only in 3D) and that should be reflected somehow. If you were to let all download platformers compete with Super Mario Galaxy, review results would be devastating.

mclem

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse isn’t Kirby as you know it. It’s a departure from the traditional mechanics and a new experience for veterans of the franchise

Aren't there about as many non-platformer Kirby games as there are pure platformers? Kirby's Pinball Land, Star Smasher, Block Ball, Avalanche/Ghost Trap, Dream Course, Tilt 'n' Tumble, Canvas Curse, Air Ride, Mass Attack

It might just be that the first Kirby game I played was Pinball Land, but to me, I don't really regard the franchise as a bastion of 'traditional mechanics'.

(And, for that matter, I'd expect 'veterans of the franchise' to have played Canvas Curse!)

Coen

I mean, did you read Dan's review? He was clearly a fan of Canvas Curse, and he loves nintendo games.

Stop being embarassing.

I did. It raised some hard hitting points like being 'soulless' and 'it missing the 'time and place'-factor'. That's exactly the kind of criticism reviewers resort to when they don't want to or can't explain why they had problems with the game. Oh and he starts of by mentioning he had to look at the tablet to play the game! If that's not reaching for an argument, I don't know what is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The resolution thing is a legit complaint imo.
There should be a control option, that makes it easier to play on the TV - if the game only allowed gameplay on the gamepad or in the same resolution, it would be fine, but you miss out on these beautifully crafted graphics that are a part of the paid for product because you have to look down.

agree. Maybe Nintendo thinks it isn't optimal but I'd like the option.

You could have it so that touching the gamepad screen makes a cursor appear on the TV, and then holding down a modifier button turns that into actually drawing a line. I think you could probably manage most manouevres that way

LOCK

no shit it's a different length, I'm pretty sure I indicated that in my post. You must like not reading posts and missing people's points /assuming they are just grasping at straws because they didn't agree with your analogy
I edited my post, but you never made an argument over my point.
Games do have different prices though, more significantly than movies (which still have small differences due to extra pays for longer movies / movies that are only in 3D) and that should be reflected somehow. If you were to let all download platformers compete with Super Mario Galaxy, review results would be devastating.
This is true, games as a medium has various price points, but I feel that price should not be considered in a review of quality. As consumers we then have to judge if the quality of the product is worth the suggested price. We do this all the time outside of games entertainment. It's so funny to me, because this is really evident in gaming because of the mediums immaturity.

Yoshi

This is true, games as a medium has various price points, but I feel that price should not be considered in a review of quality. As consumers we then have to judge if the quality of the product is worth the suggested price. We do this all the time outside of games entertainment. It's so funny to me, because this is really evident in gaming because of the mediums immaturity.

I still think that if a game is cheaper then you should keep that in mind when critcizing the game for a shorter length. If the length does not feel too short compared to the price and the game still seems well-rounded, a reviewer should be so fair to note that the game might be over quickly, but it also is offered for a lower price.

You know this whole it costs $40 but is x hours long. I can't help but be remind of Pilotwings Resort in that regard (or even Luigi's Mansion back in 2001).

It kind is an obvious point (if you're given how long it lasts, you know how much you're paying :p) which distracts from anything else the review says (when it comes to the two games I mentioned I only think "its a bit short, isn't it" it is infectious) and I'd almost prefer a time spent with game kind of thing when it comes to reviews (so I can get an idea of how long to beat and also how much time the reviewer spent, though this might make a misleading representation of content especially in multiplayer games) but even that introduces problems like "you should trust x more as they spent more time playing".

I guess the total time spent does fit with the Kirby theme of generally lasting a rainy weekend.

I have a feeling that this is going to join Hyrule Warriors, The Wonderful 101 and Zombi U in the camp of games that don't have a large appeal and get decent reviews, but are great for what they set out to do.
There is also nothing wrong with loving a game that many people would pen down as being a 7/10.

meppi

Didn't expect a perfect score from USGamer. wow
If it's good enough for Bob Mackey, it's good enough for me!
Looking forward to it.

Seen it bad from all sides bro. That Uncharted 3 eurogamer review, the gamespot twilight princess review etc. every fanbase has it's ones that can't take criticism. I mean just look at The Order, and we don't even have any reviews for that one yet.
Yeah, can say it goes both ways.
VideoGamer giving Sunset Overdrive a 6 is one I disagree, but they had the right. Twilight Princess 8.8 was bad. Also the GameSpot video review has like 200 dislikes already. Dan's review to me is totally fair. I played soulless Nintendo games before (3D Land).
So the GS reviewer found the game hard, calm down.

It is a play and see situation. MK7 may have gotten 8's, but I agree with Stirling's 5. That game had the most boring original tracks.
Just saying people attack both reviewers are petty as crap.

Don't forget to post in another review thread soon.

A lot of complaints about not looking at the TV. Of course this was less of an issue with the DS game, but it seems more pronounced here. Hopefully people will be able to get used to kind of knowing where the line is going to be on the gamepad.
I wonder why the did not try out the tech to make it work on both 3DS and Wii U. This screams to be a 3DS game.
Mario and Donkey Kong will be neat.

Every fan is like that man, you remember what you said tomorrow when/if The Order ends up with a lower metascore than Kirby.
I am not a Sony fanboy, so it getting 60% will not bother me. They should have release Kirby in January or March. Majora's Mask and MH4 just came out.
I could justify buying it on a slower gaming month.

LOCK

I still think that if a game is cheaper then you should keep that in mind when critcizing the game for a shorter length. If the length does not feel too short compared to the price and the game still seems well-rounded, a reviewer should be so fair to note that the game might be over quickly, but it also is offered for a lower price.
I think a reviewer should criticize and explain why they think the length of the game is important based on how it affects their overall experience with that specific product. Not "because this game is cheaper we'll excuse these shortcomings."

I also want to clarify that not all game reviewers fail to do this. There are many great reviewers of this medium.

I'm wrestling with my thoughts:

I think Captain Toad is short.

I'm interested in Grow Home, and due to it's price, if I were to play and enjoy it, I wouldn't have such a thought.

I guess my conclusion is: Length should have it's own review.

maxcriden

Thanks for the OT suggestions, all. A few more:

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse | OT | clayy lmao
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse | OT | Players gonna clay clay clay clay clay
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse | OT | lately I been, I been clayin' hard

Anyone like any of these?

I had to leave on a business trip not long after buying this, but I can't believe so many people complaining about resolution/playing on the gamepad.

I played it with a friend for a few hours, and I felt like it really shines in multiplayer. We switched off roles and had an absolute blast.

It wasn't anything mind-blowing, but it was just fun!

Shouldn't that be enough?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Disappointing reviews. I was ready to snap this up but now I'm not so sure. :\

I don't really feel like dropping $60+ for this game, to be honest.

Can't believe people are complaining so much about playing on the gamepad. How did you enjoy Nintendo games before 2012? This constant need to whine about resolution is tiring; if the game is fun who gives a hoot? I can't take anyone seriously who thinks this should be an ios/eshop title either. Since when did downloadable game = x amount of gameplay hours?
Here's the thing, this is a console game, not a handheld. This is an issue I had with Rayman Legends, honestly, as the game looks absolutely beautiful on my TV yet rather dull and washed out on the gamepad screen. If that was the only way to play it then it wouldn't be an issue but seeing the game looking so much nicer on the screen directly in front of you somehow leads to annoyance on my part.

Fox Mulder

The wiiu is a console I play sitting on a couch in my living room. I'll always prefer looking at my big ass tv instead of a small cheap Nintendo screen. The art style is so great to look at in its full glory.

I like the wiiu, just disappointed.

Simbabbad

This screams to be a 3DS game.
Not aimed at your specifically since you argue it should be both on Wii U and 3DS, but I don't get the "it should be on 3DS" thing with this game.
It's a stylus game only, and the 3DS main screen, the wider, bigger, 3D effect one, it the top screen with no touch capability. Playing only in the smaller, less interesting screen while the top one isn't used at all is actually much worse than the situation on Wii U.

Not aimed at your specifically since you argue it should be both on Wii U and 3DS, but I don't get the "it should be on 3DS" thing with this game.

my reaction to this claim can be summed up by this piece of canvas curse artwork

dedede3.jpg

SMattera

Don't forget to add that the display in question even is reasonably small so that 480p actually is a nice resolution for it.

Have you used a smartphone made within the last three years? 480p on a 5-inch screen is awful.

But the issue is not the gamepad's screen -- I bought a living room console to play games on my TV. If I wanted to look at a low-resolution, 5-inch display, I would've bought a 3DS instead. Making a game that relies on the gamepad is just as bad as making a game that doesn't use the gamepad at all.

I'm going to be playing this game in co-op, taking turns playing as Kirby.

And my reaction to yours is an eyeroll. Gotta love posts cutting out all the points from a another post. Minis on the Move was bashed for being a touch screen only game while the big 3D screen was ignored.

I was referring to the "it should be on 3DS" thing with this game" comment, which I also don't get!

TI82

Banned
Have you used a smartphone made within the last three years? 480p on a 5-inch screen is awful.

But the issue is not the gamepad's screen -- I bought a living room console to play games on my TV. If I wanted to look at a low-resolution, 5-inch display, I would've bought a 3DS instead. Making a game that relies on the gamepad is just as bad as making a game that doesn't use the gamepad at all.

I'm going to be playing this game in co-op, taking turns playing as Kirby.

Was going to post pretty much this same thing. 480p is a joke. Even the vita looks better!

entremet

Disappointing reviews. I was ready to snap this up but now I'm not so sure. :\

I don't really feel like dropping $60+ for this game, to be honest.

Here's the thing, this is a console game, not a handheld. This is an issue I had with Rayman Legends, honestly, as the game looks absolutely beautiful on my TV yet rather dull and washed out on the gamepad screen. If that was the only way to play it then it wouldn't be an issue but seeing the game looking so much nicer on the screen directly in front of you somehow leads to annoyance on my part.

The reviews basically show that if you liked Canvas Curse, you'd like this game.

But I can understand giving your unique situation with a North American console region locked console overseas.

Corgi

Banned
watched the giantbomb quicklook

reminded me I stopped halfway through kirby 3DS. need to go back to that :3

kubus

I know there's a good joke to be made about eating clay that would make a nice OT title, but I can't find a perfect one.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| Where swallowing clay is OK!

Or something.

Not to pick on you just anchoring my anger...

You say just the art style almost justifies it but not for a discounted price? Is $40 too much for anything but a big 3d environment type game? We paid $100 or more in today's money for 8-bit games that looked like pixel puke made by two homeless hippies and grew a billion dollar industry from nothing. An industry of the most progressive and wonderful ideas about interactivity, learning, interface, design, and art. Now we're eager to throw everything away except for the most common-denominator trash with a level of sophistication approaching a slot machine.

If this game is anything like its predecessor it will deliver based on the mechanics alone. People have reduced the controls to drawing haphard short lines in this thread--that's only when you're sucking. Advanced players deal curves with the flair of a renaissance artist, anticipating trajectory far in advance of the action and watching the physics unfold according to plan. It was a mind-meltingly cool concept years ago and that magic combination of stylus and touchscreen is still novel today.

The only caveat is that you or anyone may just suck at it and you're not learning fast enough to enjoy the rewards. It doesn't wait around, you just have to bring it or you will fail hard over and over. You may just not have the artistic ability to draw good lines or the mental agility to predict spatial stuff. I'm willing to bet that all the reviewers that rated this poorly have shitty handwriting.

It's not for everyone--that's why we should be celebrating it and supporting it and relishing every minute.

No problem.. I'm just speaking how I feel about it.

Enthusiastically, I love the clay thing... But I never liked the idea of Canvas Curse, so for me, I'm really only in it for the artistic presentation, and that there's a co-op mode. If the character could walk and jump and climb, I feel like it'd be more up my alley... Not that I even need it to be more complex, I just always liked old school Kirby, but never cared much for his spinoff style games.

It's not that I don't hope it's worth 40 dollars to some, I really have no idea how much content is there, but I feel like my 40 dollars would be better spent on something else (though to be fair, I'm not sure what yet. The only thing this year I plan on buying is GTAV on PC and Bloodborne on PS4, though I'm yet uncomfortable with the thought of spending as much money as those things cost).

It's one of those games, that, to me, looks great.. I want to partake in it, and I would like to reward them for making something I think looks cool, but I feel like I would have to go out of my way to put the disc in, sit down, and play. I just don't have the enthusiasm for it, and that's why I wouldn't spend full price on it.

I also don't really approve of the old argument comparing the prices of games from before, and the prices of games now. Today, we're surrounded by more choices than is even comfortable, and games are selling probably 10-50x as much as they used to. It's a much more fiercely competitive market than before, and not just within games, but the entire scope of the entertainment industry has increased.

Before, with fewer games coming out, it was easy to say 'Oh man, this looks interesting.. I will be buying this!' ... But now, it's like 'Well, all of these look interesting, but... I think I'm going to hold off, because I still have a ton of unfinished games, and I'm also an adult now, and need to be spending my money more responsibly, so if I can't really find the immediate enthusiasm for a game, I probably don't need to buy it.

jariw

Metacritic currently has it at 75 (about the same as Hyrule Warriors), which seems fair. The general message from the reviews seem to say "no masterpiece, but still a solid game".

GameSpot - 5/10 (?! very weirdly written)

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is a tiring game. It's taxing without being rewarding, like doing a mile on a stationary bike and discovering that you only burned away calories from one bite of your lunch burrito.

Yeah....that's how that works. A mile on a stationary bike isn't going to burn a ton of calories unless the resistance is turned high up.

Read her review, desperately needs an editor. Repeats herself constantly and almost completely forgets to talk about graphics and art style, and I don't think she even mentioned the soundtrack.

Glad to see a wide variety of reviews, and that the general consensus is positive!

KingV

Actually the Wii U tablet screen looks really nice, IMO. I played a lot of bayonetta on it.
1) its downsampled, so basically jaggy free
2) Even though phones have higher res screens, there's not many console quality games that actually render in full resolution. BioShock iOS, for example, renders at 320P (at least on a 5S).

Atwa

Banned
I did. It raised some hard hitting points like being 'soulless' and 'it missing the 'time and place'-factor'. That's exactly the kind of criticism reviewers resort to when they don't want to or can't explain why they had problems with the game. Oh and he starts of by mentioning he had to look at the tablet to play the game! If that's not reaching for an argument, I don't know what is.

I agree that Dan's criticism was very very thin, it feels like he doesn't know himself why he doesn't like it. He even looked at videos for Canvas Curse to try and see what made that good. I am gonna pick the game up regardless. I think, which IGN pointed out, that its harder than you might except put a lot of people off.

All Kirby games are too easy and boring. Believe the Ryckert (who is a huge kirby fan).

The irony is that Rainbows Curse is probably the hardest Kirby game in a while.

SMattera

Actually the Wii U tablet screen looks really nice, IMO. I played a lot of bayonetta on it.
1) its downsampled, so basically jaggy free
2) Even though phones have higher res screens, there's not many console quality games that actually render in full resolution. BioShock iOS, for example, renders at 320P (at least on a 5S).

1. The only time I've used it extensively is to play Hyrule Warriors co-op. It looked pretty jaggy to me.
  2. Even if you have a low-end, 720p Insignia, your TV will still look better.
  3. The comparison to "console-qualtiy" mobile games (whatever that even means) is completely irrelevant. Even if it was comprable, those games are processed on the phone itself, limited in size to 2GB. The Wii U does the processing and beams the output to the display. A better comparison would be PS4/Vita streaming or Nvidia Shield. Both have much higher PPIs.

You can defend the gamepad on many grounds, but saying it has a good resolution relative to its size is completely asinine.

I know there's a good joke to be made about eating clay that would make a nice OT title, but I can't find a perfect one.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| Where swallowing clay is OK!

Or something.

I feel like "fun to play with, not to eat!" (the Play-Doh tagline made for damage control) would apply well if it's true Kirby doesn't suck stuff up (as I've assumed from what I've heard, admittedly) in this game.

I hope the Kirby series adopts this art style for subsequent games.

I want a traditional Kirby game that looks like this where I don't have to stare at the gamepad the entire time.

Simbabbad

The only time I've used it extensively is to play Hyrule Warriors co-op. It looked pretty jaggy to me.
Hyrule Warriors co-op is definitely not representative of the image quality the gamepad can display, at all. The game has a MASSIVE drop in image quality while in co-op, which Rainbow Curse doesn't have at all.

TI82

Banned
Hyrule Warriors co-op is definitely not representative of the image quality the gamepad can display, at all. The game has a MASSIVE drop in image quality while in co-op, which Rainbow Curse doesn't have at all.

What about wind waker on the upad? Noticeably low quality.

I hope the Kirby series adopts this art style for subsequent games.

I want a traditional Kirby game that looks like this where I don't have to stare at the gamepad the entire time.

That would be fantastic. It would also be a good way for Nintendo to get another Kirby game out on the system in a timely manner, without having to spend a bunch of time and money on all-new assets.

Top Bottom