• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Rolling, Painting, Polarizing REVIEW thread

I love the clay thing going on.. Makes me want to buy it just for that...

But not for 40 dollars.. Not a must have.. Will buy physical version at a best buy 2 for 1 or something a while from now.

beril

A DS has two interchangeable screens whereas the 3DS is setup with asymmetric screens where the top screen is the main gameplay screen with a widescreen aspect ratio and stereoscopic 3D while the bottom screen is a 2D touch-screen and a square-ish format. On 3DS you cannot draw on the main gameplay screen. This was possible in Canvas Curse on the DS because you could pick whichever screen you wanted as the primary gameplay screen for your game. On 3DS that just isn't possible because the top screen is it. Period. Rainbow Curse is designed like Canvas Curse in that you draw on the actual gameplay screen. Thus Wii U was a natural fit for the idea. And this is also where the co-op comes in. You have three people playing Waddledees on the TV while you're drawing on the GamePad. Also still not possible on 3DS.

This is a Wii U game through and through with zero chance of ever being playable on 3DS without being heavily redesigned.

There's nothing stopping you from making a 3DS game that plays primarily on the lower screen, except you can't get the 3D effect obviously. The lower screen is 4:3, like the DS, which is probably better for this type of game anyway, and has the same vertical resolution as the upper screen, and only 80 pixels difference horizontally. I don't even remember what was on the upper screen in Canvas Curse, just do a widescreen version of that.

You could even mirror it on the upper screen with 3D enabled if you want to and you'd get the exact same situation as here; where you play on the less pretty screen.

That said, I don't at all believe the poster who said it probably started as a 3DS game. It's clearly a Wii U game from ground up; but if they wanted to make another canvas curse, it would have been perfectly fine to do it on the 3DS as well.

I think Nintendo is aiming for the tablet kids with this game, in addition to Canvas Curse fans. Drawing with a Wii remote might be too inaccurate for the precision needed.

I've said it before and will never stop: if I can S-rank the Trauma Center games on Master with the Wii Remote, I can handle a Kirby game. It's a damn shame that Nintendo didn't give us the option.

Having said that, I'll still grab this immediately. Canvas Curse was great, this should be, too.

It's really funny that the gamespot review was negative for being too difficult or frustrating, and Dan at Giant Bomb was let down by it being too simple.

Dan did say that the bosses are frustrating though.

Idk I want to buy every nintendo release but I think i'll wait a bit on this one.

I feel like way too many people are latching on to one line in an entire review from GB that pointed out a lot more issues than "it should be mobile"

Toad.T

Banned
Gamexplain is a Nintendo fan site?

More like Nintendo+. You know, the type of folks that are obviously Nintendo fanboys but add in one or two Nintendo-like third party (Usually either Japanese or retro) series to give the illusion that they're more well rounded.

"Hey, thanks for checking out our 50 minute dissection of the newest Wooly World commercial. While you have the chance, check out our recap of KH3 news and our thoughts about the Battletoads reboot."

My point is that if someone is reviewing the value for a game like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, he/she should play/review the complete game, since that's a route a lot of players will take.
So do you think he hasn't played and reviewed the complete game now?

idk, this might be the only game ever that is a valid argument that it isn't on tablets. It really is pretty much a tablet game :p

The thing is, it's really difficult to imagine playing Canvas Curse without a stylus, and I assume the same will apply to Rainbow Curse.

And capacitive styli suck.

It's really funny that the gamespot review was negative for being too difficult or frustrating, and Dan at Giant Bomb was let down by it being too simple.

Dan did say that the bosses are frustrating though.

Idk I want to buy every nintendo release but I think i'll wait a bit on this one.

The second boss is a pain in the ass, because it requires precision. It can also cheaply trap you against a wall and take 3/4 of your health, turning the tide of the battle. That particular battle is poorly designed and doesn't work with the game's imperfect precision controls.

That said, the first boss was a breeze.

It can also be annoying when you draw a rainbow right by Kirby, but he doesn't get on it. Sometimes it has to be frustratingly perfect.

IGN- 8/10

USgamer - 10/10

GoNintendo's review (scoreless, but positive):

If you're willing to alter your usual gameplay style and take a different approach, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse offers up one of the most enthralling and magical experiences yet for this 'tough cream puff' I completely understand that some people aren't going to vibe with this game. I also know some gamers will avoid this title like the plague due to the cutesy graphics alone. There's also people that won't be willing to alter their usual approach to games to learn something new. That's all well and good. Not every game has to be for everyone. With that said, those people are going to miss out on an absolutely fantastic experience. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse provides an experience that is almost zen in nature, and that's something I'd like to see a lot more from this industry.

Novoitus

Banned
There seem to be a discrepancy between the Kirby Quicklook and the Review on Giantbomb.

They seem to be having a lot of fun with a 2/5 game. Challenge room, local coop and everything.

I'm confused, because I don't see the same with the quick look. They seem to be very "meh" during the entire thing.

Wensih

GiantBomb - " I could see the game being more appealing as a cheap eShop or iPad title. As a full-fledged $40 Wii U title, however, it only feels like a disappointment."

But.....this...."$40 Wii U title" negates this "a full-fledged".

Full-fledge indicates that it's a complete idea. He thinks that the game isn't as fully realized of an idea as it could have been for the asking price of $40. He mentions that compared to Canvas Curse it's lacking.

It's like comparing Yoshi Touch & Go and Canvas Curse. One was a tech demo and the other was more fleshed out.

I don't really agree with critiquing the price of the game because it's variable over time, but his criticism that it's not a full-fledged game would still stand if he edited out the $40.

bart64

Banned

But not for 40 dollars.. Not a must have.. Will buy physical version at a best buy 2 for 1 or something a while from now.

Not to pick on you just anchoring my anger...

You say just the art style almost justifies it but not for a discounted price? Is $40 too much for anything but a big 3d environment type game? We paid $100 or more in today's money for 8-bit games that looked like pixel puke made by two homeless hippies and grew a billion dollar industry from nothing. An industry of the most progressive and wonderful ideas about interactivity, learning, interface, design, and art. Now we're eager to throw everything away except for the most common-denominator trash with a level of sophistication approaching a slot machine.

If this game is anything like its predecessor it will deliver based on the mechanics alone. People have reduced the controls to drawing haphard short lines in this thread--that's only when you're sucking. Advanced players deal curves with the flair of a renaissance artist, anticipating trajectory far in advance of the action and watching the physics unfold according to plan. It was a mind-meltingly cool concept years ago and that magic combination of stylus and touchscreen is still novel today.

The only caveat is that you or anyone may just suck at it and you're not learning fast enough to enjoy the rewards. It doesn't wait around, you just have to bring it or you will fail hard over and over. You may just not have the artistic ability to draw good lines or the mental agility to predict spatial stuff. I'm willing to bet that all the reviewers that rated this poorly have shitty handwriting.

It's not for everyone--that's why we should be celebrating it and supporting it and relishing every minute.

SegaShack

Doesn't look as fast as Canvas Curse was, I love that game and it sadly appears most reviewers have never played it. That should be the benchmark they use to compare it to IMO.

Just chiming in to say hours/dollar is the worst possible measurement of a game's value. If that factors into your buying decision at all, you should ask yourself why you play games.

It's something that factors into a lot of reviews, which is very weird. Any review that integrates this metric should be widely seen as a joke.

Amazing post. 100% agreed.

Zekes!

Doesn't look as fast as Canvas Curse was, I love that game and it sadly appears most reviewers have never played it. That should be the benchmark they use to compare it to IMO.

Yeah, watching the Giant Bomb QuickLook, regardless of Dan's opinions, the biggest drawback was how slow it looked.

I would've bought it day 1 but it comes with no club nintendo points and I'm trying to get to plat before the club nintendo year is over so I'm focusing on getting games that actually come with points :/ just need about 150 more. Regardless, I look forward to when I eventually play this game.

Jebusman

Banned
Quite true, Nintendo fans just seem the worst at this stuff.

I've always wondered, is just mindlessly bashing "nintendo fans" your thing? You seem to have a very severe persecution complex where anytime someone calls out your opinion as wrong or idiotic, it's mostly just "nintendo fanboyism" or "the Nintendo Defence Force". I mean you came into this thread with a pre-emptive defence against a hypothetical attack to start off:

Oh well, I'm sure some overzealous fan will attack me for having a different opinion than them.

Why is the irony of attacking people because of the "idea" that you might be attacked lost on you?

On topic, I love Kirby games. I'll likely pick this up, although I wasn't the biggest fan of Canvas Curse. I'm really just holding out for them to do a follow up to the best Kirby game ever though.

Kirby's Dream Course

Or more Tilt N Tumble

chadboban

Quite true, Nintendo fans just seem the worst at this stuff.

Seen it bad from all sides bro. That Uncharted 3 eurogamer review, the gamespot twilight princess review etc. every fanbase has it's ones that can't take criticism. I mean just look at The Order, and we don't even have any reviews for that one yet.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
after the 7 and 6 from IGN and NL for Triple Deluxe, which I found absolutely fantastic, I'm not worried at all. Must have!

TI82

Banned
Seen it bad from all sides bro. That Uncharted 3 eurogamer review, the gamespot twilight princess review etc. every fanbase has it's ones that can't take criticism. I mean just look at The Order, and we don't even have any reviews for that one yet.

Like I said they are all horrible. Just noticed worse reactions from Nintendo fanboys and more mellow reactions from Microsoft fanboys. Sony tends to be in the middle, though with the ps4 utterly destroying the competition I think they will be getting much worse.

Like I said they are all horrible. Just noticed worse reactions from Nintendo fanboys and more mellow reactions from Microsoft fanboys. Sony tends to be in the middle, though with the ps4 utterly destroying the competition I think they will be getting much worse.

You see what you want to see. The fact that you're patrolling this thread like a vulture is kinda sad. Leave my Kirby alone.

Fox Mulder

The art style is great, just a shame you have to stare at the shit gamepad screen the whole time. Why can't you play this with a wiimote?

Gartooth

The biggest sin this game is going to commit is making me look at the gamepad screen while playing rather than the TV, although it really can't be helped.

Also I wish more people would be accepting of mid tier games rather than everything having to be $10-20 or $60.

Chindogg

You see what you want to see. The fact that you're patrolling this thread like a vulture is kinda sad. Leave my Kirby alone.

It's rare when Gonzo and I actually agree for once.

Then again this cat one time called me a rape apologist because I took Platinum's word that the secret fight scene in Bayo 2 wasn't rape.

Forkball

Nintendo fans cannot comprehend Nintendo can make "meh" games.
It must be the reviewer!

Don't forget to post in another review thread soon.

A lot of complaints about not looking at the TV. Of course this was less of an issue with the DS game, but it seems more pronounced here. Hopefully people will be able to get used to kind of knowing where the line is going to be on the gamepad.

TI82

Banned
Don't forget to post in another review thread soon.

A lot of complaints about not looking at the TV. Of course this was less of an issue with the DS game, but it seems more pronounced here. Hopefully people will be able to get used to kind of knowing where the line is going to be on the gamepad.

Really should have had Wii remote and even analog stick controls too. Games like Lost Wind were really similar on the Wii. Or that Max and the Crayon game did drawing with the stick. Although I think the stick would be weird at least give people the option.

El Odio

Banned

Seems that most reviews now are leaning towards positives with a few negative ones scattered about. I've had this preorder since a week ago and I doubt it'll disappoint. I need my Kirby fix damnit.

jgkspsx

Canvas Curse was by far my favorite Kirby game, so this had a very low bar for being an autobuy. Another thing to grab soon.

Top Bottom