• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Rolling, Painting, Polarizing REVIEW thread

Nanashrew

Banned
I edited my post to better explain my position. I didn't want to come off as too abrasive. I'm really hoping it doesn't end up in a list fest because that doesn't explain to me why the music is so good. I can look up the music myself, but what makes it good music?

It's catchy and fun and fits well with the bright and peppiness of Kirby games. I just enjoy it. Just as much as I enjoy the atmospheric music of the Metroid Prime games.

It's catchy and fun and fits well with the bright and peppiness of Kirby games. I just enjoy it. Just as much as I enjoy the atmospheric music of the Metroid Prime games.

Not to be pickey, but the music in the Prime games is catchy and melodic as often as it is atmospheric :p.

For me, Kirby music is usually a pretty mixed bag, and it seems no different with this game. I think Epic Yarn had my favorite soundtrack out of all the Kirby games I've played.

Seems like it will be interesting to see how this measure up to Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush, on paper it should be a winner taking that base and refining it with much stronger visuals and music on top of that .
But seeing that some of the more negative reviews are from those that did dig the original concept back on DS perhaps it's not quite as clean a successor as that, well I'll look forward to finding out when NoE begrudgingly drop it in the summer or whenever.

Maybe it doesn't have Ink trial, now that would be a tragedy.

Oh crap, I forgot Europeans got screwed over on this one. Brutal.

deleted

There seem to be a discrepancy between the Kirby Quicklook and the Review on Giantbomb.

They seem to be having a lot of fun with a 2/5 game. Challenge room, local coop and everything.

Sorry, I was typing and watching something. I meant that mid tier titles are usually $20 to $30, not that $20 to $30 titles are always mid tier. I see where your misunderstanding came from :)
Any examples? Since you said that "mid-tier" is defined by the game's budget, I don't remember most mid-tier games being priced any differently (as in the PS2 era).

TI82

Banned
Any examples? Since you said that "mid-tier" is defined by the game's budget, I don't remember most mid-tier games being priced any differently (as in the PS2 era).

Lately I'd say all the DD titles or kick starter titles, or stand alone expansions like "Blood Dragon" are great examples of actual mid tier games. The Borderlands Pre-Sequel is another.

Edit: obviously not ALL DD or kickstwrter titles, sorry a mistype again and want to nip it in the bud

Wensih

I don't think that most people have the technical knowledge, myself included, as to explain why the music is that way though which is what I seek. I wish that there was a more analytical approach to judging music in games other than I just like it, or a blanket term like atmospheric.

Lately I'd say all the DD titles or kick starter titles, or stand alone expansions like "Blood Dragon" are great examples of actual mid tier games. The Borderlands Pre-Sequel is another.

Edit: obviously not ALL DD or kickstwrter titles, sorry a mistype again and want to nip it in the bud
Wasn't Borderlands: TPS $60 at launch, though? (EDIT: It's still $60 on Steam, plus it has a $30 Season Pass.) But I guess that a lot of DLC (standalone or otherwise) meets that price point.

TI82

Banned
Wasn't Borderlands: TPS $60 at launch, though? (EDIT: It's still $60 on Steam, plus it has a $30 Season Pass.) But I guess that a lot of DLC (standalone or otherwise) meets that price point.

Yep looks like you were right about the TPS, wow that is really stupid because it was clearly a mid tier title.

But yeah Blood Dragon is a clear example I can think of st the moment. Or Shovel Knight.

Edit: a few more like Child of Light, That ww2 ubiart game, and Transistor

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't think that most people have the technical knowledge, myself included, as to explain why the music is that way though which is what I seek. I wish that there was a more analytical approach to judging music in games other than I just like it, or a blanket term like atmospheric.

Not very good at analytical stuff with music. You're likely to get good discussion from Schala and many others who have posted in the music of the generation thread. About all I could provide is simple statements that I just like it.

Ziffles

There seem to be a discrepancy between the Kirby Quicklook and the Review on Giantbomb.

They seem to be having a lot of fun with a 2/5 game. Challenge room, local coop and everything.

Well with Quicklooks they still try to get into the game for a bit, unless of course they absolutely despise it. The game does look quite a bit more fun with coop, but single player looks like it gets old fast to me.

Wensih

Not very good at analytical stuff with music. You're likely to get good discussion from Schala and many others who have posted in the music of the generation thread. About all I could provide is simple statements that I just like it.

Yeah, I just think it's an interesting area that I have no clue how to explain or analyze, and I think a lot of times sound design in general gets overlooked in reviews. When it's absent it becomes an obvious issue, but when it is present, I don't think a lot of people really know how to handle explaining or critiquing it.

SerTapTap

What makes it the best music out there? I think they're cute jingles, but the state farm commercial has a cute jingle.

EDIT: This is an actual question, not trying to troll (even if the tone came off as abrasive). I'm really curious because I think evaluating video game musical scores is probably the most murky area of review processes. There is no in-depth analysis of musical scores because I think most don't find them extremely important; they're just background noise. I don't get why people freak out over musical scores in games like Pokemon because half the time I mute it. I think the only game that has really wowed me with it's score that perfectly fit the atmosphere was Hotline Miami. I was thinking of making a thread on this because it's one of those grey areas that reviews don't really seem to care much about, but then you come to a community like GAF, and it gets brought up frequently albeit not explained extremely well.

I don't really know how to "evaluate" music beyond "I like it so much I bought it and listen to it regularly" (very few series end up like this--among them Final Fantasy, Kirby, Binding of Isaac, Mega Man). But to just drop off a few tracks that I think should quite easily show it's something far superior to "cute jingles":

Masked DeDeDe
Galacta Knight
Flying Into Nova
DeDeDe's theme (Nightmare in Dreamland)
02's theme
Milky Way Wishes credits
Investigating the Factory

There's dozens more of course, but this is a pretty diverse set I feel. Honestly I look forward to a new DeDeDe remix more than I look forward to the entire OST of most games.

AwShucks

This is interesting. Is somebody else doing the Quicklook versus the review itself?

TheMoon

However, I do think, before this game was made obviously, that they would have made a 3DS canvas curse like game but opted to make this instead. As in the idea was there for it, due to the success of Canvas Curse.

Canvas Curse actually wasn't a success at all. At least not commercially. I highly doubt a 3DS ~Curse game ever even crossed their minds due to the platform's inherently unsuitable nature to that style of game. Hence why we got Triple Deluxe. Their next idea for the ~Curse formula was clearly not the portable small screen experience but the versatile multiplayer, asymmetric co-op paired with a uniquely appealing visual style not possible on a handheld.

deleted

Well with Quicklooks they still try to get into the game for a bit, unless of course they absolutely despise it. The game does look quite a bit more fun with coop, but single player looks like it gets old fast to me.

Yeah, the coop looks pretty fun. Reminds me a bit of the Rayman coop at times.

This is interesting. Is somebody else doing the Quicklook versus the review itself?

Nope, same person, but he mentions several times, that the game simply doesn't hold up to it's predecessor. Doesn't stop him from having fun in the video though.

AwShucks

Nope, same person, but he mentions several times, that the game simply doesn't hold up to it's predecessor. Doesn't stop him from having fun in the video though.

Ah. Well either way I'm hyped for it. Hoping Best Buy ships soon as I'd love to be able to play this weekend.

oti

Banned
- Why are there no touchscreen focused games on Wii U? Why does this tablet even exist?
- Why is this touchscreen focused Wii U game not on 3DS?

Dear reviewers, pick one.

My cousin is a huge Kirby fan but he won't like this game at all, I'm sure of it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Stop trying to put me in that box. It was ridiculous because the argument made no sense.
I'm not putting you in that box, it seems like you are going into it willingly. It makes perfect sense, he doesn't think there's enough content there to justify the price. There's nothing ridiculous about that.

I honestly found the DS version too hard when I was artistic, I was forced to make small simple lines, which gamexplain was doing.
Honestly I think making small straight lines just makes it unfun in a painting game.. which even Nintendo was avoiding in the promo vids.

jariw

I'm not putting you in that box, it seems like you are going into it willingly. It makes perfect sense, he doesn't think there's enough content there to justify the price. There's nothing ridiculous about that.

I just read Ryckert's review of Captain Toad, and it's pretty clear that he didn't play it to the end, so he's just guessing regarding the content/value. I played Captain Toad to the very end, and it's a longer game than a playthrough of Bayonetta 2.

AwShucks

I just read Ryckert's review of Captain Toad, and it's pretty clear that he didn't play it to the end, so he's just guessing regarding the content/value. I played Captain Toad to the very end, and it's a longer game than a playthrough of Bayonetta 2.

I don't want to derail this thread as it should be about Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, but just because it was longer for you doesn't mean it's longer for everyone. According to the majority, Bayonetta 2 is about a 9 hour game (that's in line with my playthrough) and Captian Toad is a 7 hour game.

EDIT: Source is How Long To Beat

It's pretty clear he did based off the Quick Look.

jariw

I don't want to derail this thread as it should be about Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, but just because it was longer for you doesn't mean it's longer for everyone. According to the majority, Bayonetta 2 is about a 9 hour game (that's in line with my playthrough) and Captian Toad is a 7 hour game.

EDIT: Source is How Long To Beat

If you're using that as a source: The minority (25 of 63) of the Captain Toad players only played the 7 hour game. While the vast majority of (70 of 92) of the Bayonetta 2 only played the 9 hour game. The majority of the Captain Toad players (42 of 63) played the 10-hours (or longer) game.

EDIT: It seems like some players have submitted values for multiple playing styles, but the ratios would be roughly correct anyhow.

My point is that if someone is reviewing the value for a game like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, he/she should play/review the complete game, since that's a route a lot of players will take.

Spux666

Banned
GiantBomb - " I could see the game being more appealing as a cheap eShop or iPad title. As a full-fledged $40 Wii U title, however, it only feels like a disappointment."

But.....this...."$40 Wii U title" negates this "a full-fledged".

As a fan of Canvas Curse, the free Kirby Amiibo w/ pre-order offer @ Toys R Us was more than enough to sell me on a day one purchase of this game. Hopefully my experience is more akin to Bob Mackey's USgamer review than the lackluster impressions of the GB Quick Look.

hatchx

Banned
As a fan of Canvas Curse, the free Kirby Amiibo w/ pre-order offer @ Toys R Us was more than enough to sell me on a day one purchase of this game. Hopefully my experience is more akin to Bob Mackey's USgamer review than the lackluster impressions of the GB Quick Look.

If you enjoyed Canvas Curse, you'll enjoy this.

I'm grabbing it for the claymated style. I love claymation and this one takes the cake until Armikrog comes out.

I wish that TRU pre-order deal was in Canada.

TI82

Banned
If you enjoyed Canvas Curse, you'll enjoy this.

I'm grabbing it for the claymated style. I love claymation and this one takes the cake until Armikrog comes out.

I wish that TRU pre-order deal was in Canada.

Apparently not, since ethe GB guy also liked the DS game...

hatchx

Banned
Apparently not, since ethe GB guy also liked the DS game...

There's no magic secrets to the controls or insane learning curve to this game, you can pretty much watch one video and know exactly what you are getting.

It's a 40$ mid-tier release, and some reviewers can't get out of the AAA headspace. They figure so long as it's on a game shelf, it needs to be X and Y, and that logic is somewhat flawed.

TI82

Banned
There's no magic secrets to the controls or insane learning curve to this game, you can pretty much watch one video and know exactly what you are getting.

It's a 40$ mid-tier release, and some reviewers can't get out of the AAA headspace. They figure so long as it's on a game shelf, it needs to be X and Y, and that logic is somewhat flawed.

Seems like a poor way of disposing of a review that doesn't agree with your preconceived notions.

Khrno

I've had my wiiu for almost a year now and I've never played on my TV. Only on gamepad.

I've had my Wii U since launch day and for the most part I try to never use the Gamepad unless the games do not support the Pro Controller.

We all can play that same game.

Giant Bomb said:
Boo-hoo, Nintendo won't release games for my iPad.

In what universe do they live, where this game could be sold profitably for $1 on the App Store (with Apple stealing 30c of that, to boot)? How would they do that in a way that's not detrimental to the industry?

And how is the multiplayer possible without real controls?

Prince and time are always hard points to review especially correlated when price is a variable factor.

One thing I will say about stage count. Kirby Mass Attack had I think 45 stages (I stopped playing when I got to a boss rush stage in the 4th world) and started to outstay its welcome by repeating stage ideas so the stage count seen here is probably a response to that criticism. Of course this has introduced the opposite criticism of its too short...

hatchx

Banned
Seems like a poor way of disposing of a review that doesn't agree with your preconceived notions.

yeah well:

wSvoup5.gif

Crayolan

Man, the last sentence of that games radar review reads like something out of 2013. The rest of the review is fine but that last line is just really poorly worded .

I finished the game the other day, had about 9 hours on it for ~80% completion on my file. Good game, some disappointments (see spoilers). I felt the length was about right; any longer and it might have started to out-stay its welcome. With practice I think you could play by mostly looking at the TV. The game can be frustrating because you don't have full control over Kirby himself and there were a couple of instances where I died because Kirby was going the wrong way when I drew a line or he bounced off a wall in a way I didn't anticipate.

The game is very pretty, though, and very cute. I think I preferred Captain Toad as an experience, but that was one of my favorite games from last year.

Spoilers
While the final boss was nice and the boss encounters overall good, the repeated bosses in worlds 4-6 was very disappointing. The fights aren't exactly the same, but they basically are re-coloured variations of the W1-3 boss fights. In fact, most of the enemies pose little to no

Just chiming in to say hours/dollar is the worst possible measurement of a game's value. If that factors into your buying decision at all, you should ask yourself why you play games.

It's something that factors into a lot of reviews, which is very weird. Any review that integrates this metric should be widely seen as a joke.

TI82

Banned
In what universe do they live, where this game could be sold profitably for $1 on the App Store (with Apple stealing 30c of that, to boot)? How would they do that in a way that's not detrimental to the industry?

And how is the multiplayer possible without real controls?

It would be $5 to $10 like most premium iOS games. Snxd using virtual controls which people seem to niot have that many problems with?

Top Bottom