• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Rolling, Painting, Polarizing REVIEW thread

RM8

If most reviews are positive, I don't understand the controversy :p just reading the discussion without going back to the first post, I was thinking reviews would be pretty mixed.

Jebusman

Banned
If most reviews are positive, I don't understand the controversy :p just reading the discussion without going back to the first post, I was thinking reviews would be pretty mixed.

I think it was mostly because some of the first to hit were the negative ones, making it look a little more even between positive and negative. Then the positives ones kept coming in, and the negative ones didn't.

So far the only two negatives I see (with a score anyway) are Gamespot's and Giant Bomb's.

Gamespot's review is.... weird. Sort of self conflicting with itself, and not helped by the video making the player look wholly incompetent at understanding how to video game.

Giant Bomb's reads more like Dan just wasn't feeling it. He has almost zero complaints with the gameplay itself, or the presentation. He just didn't like it. At least it's honest.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Can't wait to pick this up Friday after work. Any word on average how long Rainbow Curse is (in terms of hours)? I'd actually prefer it to be on the shorter side as I actually have some free time this weekend and would like to be able to finish it

I'm confused, because I don't see the same with the quick look. They seem to be very "meh" during the entire thing.

Sadly that describes so many Quick Looks these days, IMO. In particular the ones that feature Jeff. He just always sounds bored and very cynical.

Maybe it's just me but any GB videos that aren't Vinny-centric feel very tedious to watch at this point :(

leroidys

Yeah, this is weird. Posts in here read like it got straight 7s.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I have this puppy pre-loaded and waiting for activation. I can't wait to play, no matter how people want to angrily define what a mid-tier game is or how it should be priced.

Yeah, this is weird. Posts in here read like it got straight 7s.

The reason it seems that way is because the thread is being actively trolled.

Cranzor

Just chiming in to say hours/dollar is the worst possible measurement of a game's value. If that factors into your buying decision at all, you should ask yourself why you play games.

That's ridiculous. People have different ideas of what value means to them. If I had infinite money, sure, I would have no problem spending a lot of money for shorter games. But as of now, I'd rather wait for those games to go on sale since I think the value is more fair. Should I question why I play games because of that?

It's fine if your idea of value is the way it is, but don't act like the people who disagree with you have a problem.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Btw, trying to think of a good OT title and haven't hit on one yet. Open to suggestions! Thanks.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| A Kirby Game That Doesn't Suck
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| Less Canvas, More Rainbows
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| Claymazing Fun
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| Line Up (and Everywhere Else) For a Good Time
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| Colorful Cursing That'd Make a Sailor Blush

Giant Bomb straight up goes out of their way to dislike Nintendo first party games. Why are they claiming it is a full-fledged priced title when it is discounted 33%?

Cranzor

Giant Bomb straight up goes out of their way to dislike Nintendo first party games. Why are they claiming it is a full-fledged priced title when it is discounted 33%?

Dan likes Nintendo games a lot, more so than the other guys. Also, he said "full-fledged $40 Wii U title." What's wrong with that?

Instead of looking for some weird bias that doesn't exist, you should consider the idea that maybe someone genuinely doesn't like a game that you haven't played yet.

Sadly that describes so many Quick Looks these days, IMO. In particular the ones that feature Jeff. He just always sounds bored and very cynical.

Maybe it's just me but any GB videos that aren't Vinny-centric feel very tedious to watch at this point :(

Or it could be a well-made game that they just didn't have much fun with, which sounds like the broad consensus. The control method is definitely going to remove some of the enjoyment for many. Still, the game is receiving very generous scores.

Ranger X

Nobody complaining they play mostly on the gamepad?

This is why I ain't buying this game. I want a game I look at my TV.
Canva Curse on DS was amazing -- it made sense.(and I loved it)

For the OT....
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| Play In The Gamepad, TV your support screen

lol, :p couldn't resist

TI82

Banned
Nobody complaining they play mostly on the gamepad?

This is why I ain't buying this game. I want a game I look at my TV.
Canva Curse on DS was amazing -- it made sense.(and I loved it)

This is one of the bigger problems with the WiiU. The gamepad is a downgrade from the TV and using it is not good. Some games like Hyrule Warriors even make one player use it for split screen which feels like a burden not an enhancement.

Ranger X

Isn't this just like playing it on a bigger DS?

No.

1- Am not on a portable console (so I am in my living room before my TV wanting to play in it cause otherwise I might not be there)

2- Gamepad doesn't even give me the total quality of the image (and I notice even if smaller bla bla bla). Less important in the topic though.

Dan likes Nintendo games a lot, more so than the other guys. Also, he said "full-fledged $40 Wii U title." What's wrong with that?

Instead of looking for some weird bias that doesn't exist, you should consider the idea that maybe someone genuinely doesn't like a game that you haven't played yet.

After going back and looking at the scores they have given perhaps you're right. Gerstmann's incessant dislike for Nintendo games on the Bombcast must have skewed my thoughts.

Jamix012

Yeah I'm not liking what I've read about this one. Shame too because I really liked canvas curse.

I haven't been fully keeping up and plan to get this sometime in March. What doesn't strike your fancy? I'm curious because I was basically gonna autobuy this off the back of the superb Canvas Curse.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Z8YBdc8.png

Daaaaaaaaaamn, even other reviewers are calling GameSpot out. Anybody who complains about difficulty in Kirby games should not be reviewing games for a living.

I disagree, if a game is too easy, it's too easy, even if they write Kirby on it. That being said, Power-Paintbrush actually was the one Kirby game that wasn't sleep-inducingly easy and also had the best gameplay concept of all Kirbys, so I'm surprised to see such negative reviews.

Yoshi

More like Nintendo+. You know, the type of folks that are obviously Nintendo fanboys but add in one or two Nintendo-like third party (Usually either Japanese or retro) series to give the illusion that they're more well rounded.

"Hey, thanks for checking out our 50 minute dissection of the newest Wooly World commercial. While you have the chance, check out our recap of KH3 news and our thoughts about the Battletoads reboot."

So maybe they are not Nintendo-fanboys, but report about games in a style they like, therefore reporting about a huge part of Nintendo's line-up, Kingdom Hearts and Battletoads? Can't see any fanboyish thing in there.

Cranzor

After going back and looking at the scores they have given perhaps you're right. Gerstmann's incessant dislike for Nintendo games on the Bombcast must have skewed my thoughts.

Yeah, Jeff just doesn't like a lot of Nintendo stuff anymore. He usually expresses his disinterest in funny ways so it's not too bothersome to me. I'm totally fine with people not liking things I like as long as they aren't dismissive about it. I could see how some might see it that way, but generally I don't think he's too dismissive.

Luckily, Dan seems to have an enthusiasm for Nintendo games that was missing before, so those of us who are just really into Nintendo have someone to talk about or champion that stuff. But knowing that he reviewed this game almost makes it more damning. I'm not sure it would have been reviewed at all if he wasn't there.

I'll probably still play it eventually regardless. I typically trust that Nintendo will put out good products, but I'm not adverse to the idea that maybe this one isn't so great.

(Sorry if my other post came off as standoffish. There is a place for discussion in review threads, but often the opinions are so divisive that it's hard not to come off that way.)

Jamix012

Watching the Gamestop video and it sounds like she didn't like the mechanics, which is fine. It also sounds like she wouldn't have liked Canvas Curse either which is also fine but it makes her opinion fairly unrelateable to me as I love that game. I'm still going to pick it up, it seems.

I have to give Nintendo infinite praise for continuing to make stuff that's just adorable. With exception of perhaps Sackboy Oddsock it's like no one even tries these days. And, sigh, I know, "the market doesn't want cute games", ignoring the entirety of Nintendo's existence which doesn't seem to count anymore.

Fake edit: Actually, scratch that. Media Molecule in general loves cute, and I love them for that! I just wanted an excuse to parade around Oddsock for being so damn awesome having just recently replaced Kirby, who had been on the top of my cuteness chart for 20 years.

jariw

I disagree, if a game is too easy, it's too easy, even if they write Kirby on it. That being said, Power-Paintbrush actually was the one Kirby game that wasn't sleep-inducingly easy and also had the best gameplay concept of all Kirbys, so I'm surprised to see such negative reviews.

But didn't the Gamespot review complain that it was too hard?
"The game has an infuriating learning curve. Being bound to a one-directional line is limiting, and the game demands early mastery without giving you time to adapt. When Kirby is forced to become a plane or tank, it limits movement even further."

To me, this sounds almost like the Gamespot review of Tropical Freeze, one year ago:
"It's all a bit stop and start. Platforms and enemies are laid out in odd ways, making it difficult to establish the sort of smooth, free-flowing rhythm that makes the best 2D platformers such a blast."

deleted

I'm confused, because I don't see the same with the quick look. They seem to be very "meh" during the entire thing.

I don't think that's true. They mention the review score and the flaws the game has, but they seem to be having fun playing it, even if they mention that it could be better here and it could be better there.

But reviews are very subjective to begin with. I don't really question his decision to give it 2 stars - in the end it just means, the game has flaws. How much they bother the player is most likely subjective.

Chunky

Kirby typically feels floaty, because you inflate him to fly over obstacles and earn new powers by inhaling enemies. But you do neither of these things in Rainbow Curse. But Kirby feels useless here because the delicate physics don't quite sync

how did this make it past the editor? lol

Yoshi

But didn't the Gamespot review complain that it was too hard?
"The game has an infuriating learning curve. Being bound to a one-directional line is limiting, and the game demands early mastery without giving you time to adapt. When Kirby is forced to become a plane or tank, it limits movement even further."

To me, this sounds almost like the Gamespot review of Tropical Freeze, one year ago:
"It's all a bit stop and start. Platforms and enemies are laid out in odd ways, making it difficult to establish the sort of smooth, free-flowing rhythm that makes the best 2D platformers such a blast."
This quote about Tropical Freeze must be one of the dumbest things I've read in gaming journalism, right up there with the craptastic Luigi's Mansion 2 review, also Gamespot, demanding checkpoints mid-bossfight... I can't talk about the new Kirby in its final form, but at Gamescom, controls were very tight and almost identical to controls in Power Paintbrush, so I'm a bit puzzled by this concern.

lol the gamespot review got me even more stoked for this game! I was fearing that it would be too easy.

Can't wait to play it. Just give me a release date NOE!!!

I would've bought it day 1 but it comes with no club nintendo points and I'm trying to get to plat before the club nintendo year is over so I'm focusing on getting games that actually come with points :/ just need about 150 more. Regardless, I look forward to when I eventually play this game.
This is why I'm glad club Nintendo is going away. Just buy the dang game.

Just chiming in to say hours/dollar is the worst possible measurement of a game's value. If that factors into your buying decision at all, you should ask yourself why you play games.

It's something that factors into a lot of reviews, which is very weird. Any review that integrates this metric should be widely seen as a joke.
what? If I don't want to pay a lot of money for a short experience, I should ask myself why I want to play games? I don't agree withnthat at all. Obviously I don't want a game to be padded with a bunch of bullshit to lengthen the game, but if the game is ridiculously short that I can finish in one sitting, and I don't think it's worth the asking price overall then no, I shouldn't be "asking myself why I play games".
I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of bad questions like "do you think you should pay less for a 90 minute movie compared to a 180 minute movie"next

I haven't been fully keeping up and plan to get this sometime in March. What doesn't strike your fancy? I'm curious because I was basically gonna autobuy this off the back of the superb Canvas Curse.

The videos I saw didn't grab me. The game just seems really slow. and then reading about mostly having to play the game on the bottom 480p screen is like "eh no"

I might have bought it had it been on 3ds and a bit cheaper, but yeah I don't know about this one. This is coming from a huge Kirby fan.

LOCK

When will GAF learn that price =/= quality.

Most movie tickets cost the same price, all different in quality and length.

Most trade style books cost the same price, all different in quality and length.

Most games cost the same price, all different in quality and length.

This is why price should never be considered in a review of quality.

Can't believe people are complaining so much about playing on the gamepad. How did you enjoy Nintendo games before 2012? This constant need to whine about resolution is tiring; if the game is fun who gives a hoot? I can't take anyone seriously who thinks this should be an ios/eshop title either. Since when did downloadable game = x amount of gameplay hours?

When will GAF learn that price =/= quality.

Most movie tickets cost the same price, all different in quality and length.

the length of movies really isn't that much different. they are all pretty much 90 minutes to 180 minutes. you're not gonna get a movie that lasts 4 times longer than another one

I have a feeling that this is going to join Hyrule Warriors, The Wonderful 101 and Zombi U in the camp of games that don't have a large appeal and get decent reviews, but are great for what they set out to do.

deleted

Can't believe people are complaining so much about playing on the gamepad. How did you enjoy Nintendo games before 2012? This constant need to whine about resolution is tiring; if the game is fun who gives a hoot? I can't take anyone seriously who thinks this should be an ios/eshop title either. Since when did downloadable game = x amount of gameplay hours?

The resolution thing is a legit complaint imo.
There should be a control option, that makes it easier to play on the TV - if the game only allowed gameplay on the gamepad or in the same resolution, it would be fine, but you miss out on these beautifully crafted graphics that are a part of the paid for product because you have to look down.

Top Bottom