• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Epic Yarn announced [N-CONF]

GhaleonQ

Takao said:
What a hideous name for such a beautiful game.

I have to imagine that people who say this don't read a lot. Have you never heard the phrase "spinning a ___ yarn" before, or have you and you just don't like it? The latter's fair, I guess, but it's pretty much perfect. It's clever without descending into puns (see: Kid Icarus).

Fixed1979

This was honestly one of my favorite games shown at the Nintendo conference. If there needs to by a KDF then count me in. The art style is great the game play appears to include some new features while still drawing on the old. What's not to like.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
GhaleonQ said:
I have to imagine that people who say this don't read a lot. Have you never heard the phrase "spinning a ___ yarn" before, or have you and you just don't like it? The latter's fair, I guess, but it's pretty much perfect. It's clever without descending into puns (see: Kid Icarus).
I'm surprised nobody picked up on yarn =tale or story. Looks cool. Its like LBP and Yoshi's island had the secks.

truly101 said:
I'm surprised nobody picked up on yarn =tale or story.

Some did, just not the vocal moronity. It's a clever name but you're more likely to make a post about it if you don't get it.

ydnawel said:
I was the only one who read it as Kirby's Epic Yam? as in the food?

Ok I like this one. :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This is probably the most beautiful graphics style I've ever seen in a game.
Felt like Wind Waker day all over again, not of that magnitude of course since that was groundbreaking, but you know what I mean.

This was probably the most surprising game of the show for me. I love the "yarn" mechanics and how interactive everything is. It looks like it's a lot of fun to shape the backgrounds around you. It was nice to see so many power-ups as well. I can't say enough nice things about the art style.

Kirby__s_Epic_Yarn__Rope_by_Gamemastersuperstar.png

\o/

Some Fan art (already):lol :

33dim1g.jpg

2z8cghl.jpg

1zyhi6r.png

esw0up.jpg

Just got done looking at some of the pics on IGN. The graphics are beautiful and very imaginative. Kirby's Epic Yarn = the graphical legacy of Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's story on a modern console. Can't wait to see how it plays.

Oli

This looks like a spiritual successor to Canvas Curse, which IMO is one of the best Kirby games. Looks amazing, can't wait to play it.

Snaku

Banned
Kirby's Dream Land was my favorite Gameboy game growing up, and it was one of the very first games I ever bought with my own money. I can't for the life of me remember what inspired me to purchase it, but I definitely got my money's worth logging in hundreds of hours on it. A short time later my grandmother bought a top loading NES, she was addicted to Dr. Mario, and it was bundled with Kirby's Adventure. Again I played the crap out of it, and it holds a special place in my heart to this day. That said, I've not played a single Kirby game since then. They've sadly never shown up on my radar and have been released completely unnoticed by me.

I'm taking notice now. This game appeals to some of my earliest and fondest gaming memories in all the right ways, and I'm practically salivating to play this. The inspired art direction directly integrated into the game play mechanics looks truly magnificent. The whimsical sense of adventure integrated into every facet of the original games is here in full force, and left me with nothing but a wistful smile on my face.

This is my e3 game of show, hands down. Thank you Sakurai.

Oli said:
This looks like a spiritual successor to Canvas Curse, which IMO is one of the best Kirby games. Looks amazing, can't wait to play it.

Canvas Curse was the first killer app game for the DS IMHO. After Yoshi's Touch n Go (which is still awesome for score addicts like me) it was so nice to have a full fledged game that really took advantage of the touch screen. And like this, it had very nice, artistic hand drawn backgrounds.

I cannot wait to play this game. It looks like a blast to play and is, frankly, adorable.

Agent Unknown said:
Canvas Curse was the first killer app game for the DS IMHO. After Yoshi's Touch n Go (which is still awesome for score addicts like me)

Thumbs up. What's your Marathon score?

The Hermit

Oli said:

This is like Canvas Curse and Yoshi Island... it just can't go wrong.

WTF happened to Nintendo today... I wasn't disappointed at all O_O

Agent Unknown said:
Both of these took many months of practice back in the day:

Marathon: 24,328 yards

Score attack: 750 points

How about yours? :)

Marathon: 34,146 yards

Score: 672 points

Still my favorite game on the platform. Tough as nails. And it looks like I've got a new Score goal. :D

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Looks fantastic. I am getting some serious Yoshi's Island vibes from this :D :D

May have to break down and buy another game in 2010, I swore mario galaxy 2 would be the only one :lol

cory

Banned
I just popped in Yoshi T&G yesterday. :lol :lol That game had me score crazy for a few weeks. I never played Kirby Canvas Curse, but I wanted it.
Score Attack: 430 pts
Marathon: 4044 yds :lol

At first I was like :|

But then I saw car Kirby and spaceship Kirby and TANK KIRBY so LET'S DO THIS, FELLAS

edit: The twist at the end will be that it was "Kirby's Epic Yam" the whole time as he swallows it whole and turns into a vegetable. :eek:

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
JetBlackPanda said:
looks amazing.. but whats with EPIC yarn? EPIC Mickey?

EPIC!!

It makes a lot less sense before Mickey...

Come on guys, you get it, right? It's an epic yarn! A heroic journey! A legendary tale!

cory said:
I just popped in Yoshi T&G yesterday. :lol :lol That game had me score crazy for a few weeks. I never played Kirby Canvas Curse, but I wanted it.
Score Attack: 430 pts
Marathon: 4044 yds :lol

Ouch at that Marathon score. :lol

Definitely try out Canvas Curse if you like Yoshi. It takes the basic Yoshi idea, removes the shooter aspects of egg-throwing, and stretches it to a full-length platformer. Maybe you can grab it used since it's hard to find now.

It's a unique Kirby game with a unique look. Sounds like the perfect thing to get hyped for KEY.

Twig

Banned
Freezie KO said:
Ouch at that Marathon score. :lol

Definitely try out Canvas Curse if you like Yoshi. It takes the basic Yoshi idea, removes the shooter aspects of egg-throwing, and stretches it to a full-length platformer. Maybe you can grab it used since it's hard to find now.

It's a unique Kirby game with a unique look. Sounds like the perfect thing to get hyped for KEY.
Oh god I picked up YT&G pretty recently. Couldn't get anywhere near my record (which I can't remember atm, but it's in the five-digits somewhere, maybe about 20k?)...

But now you're making me want to play Canvas Curse again. Loooved that game.

Twig said:
Oh god I picked up YT&G pretty recently. Couldn't get anywhere near my record (which I can't remember atm, but it's in the five-digits somewhere, maybe about 20k?)...

But now you're making me want to play Canvas Curse again. Loooved that game.

Two fantastic games, really. I can't believe that those mechanics weren't further explored. Some of the later levels in Canvas Curse had some challenge to them, also. Restricting flight made it the most difficult Kirby game at least.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hero of Legend said:
It's by Good Feel!
So the reason we're finally getting Kirby Wii is because Nintendo just had someone else make an unrelated Kirby game for Wii? :lol

I'm worried about HAL; they've been dieing for a couple of years now :/

zumphry

Banned
I had the biggest grin on my face when I first saw this. Looks so awesome graphically, and it looks like it's a blast to play. Felt like a kid again during the entire trailer. :D

jrricky

Banned
fallengorn said:
Looks absolutely amazing. Although, it coming out this year makes me believe this is going to be short game.
That...is some interesting logic....does that mean every game coming out this year is going to be short?

Top Bottom