• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Epic Yarn announced [N-CONF]

Freezie KO said:
Marathon: 34,146 yards

Score: 672 points

Still my favorite game on the platform. Tough as nails. And it looks like I've got a new Score goal. :D

And looks like I have a new Marathon goal. :D Score attack is amazing when you get deep into finding new ways of chaining enemies, coins and bubbles together.

Finally watched the Epic Yarn trailer, looks fantastic. With this, NSMB Wii and DCR, Nintendo has finally brought back console 2D platforming in a big way. I can't get over how amazing this E3 is.

The Kirby fandom is denying this game, help, i think i am getting crazy, what is wrong with them.

"why is this a kirby game" "they just slapped kirbys face for recognition"

My ass

SilverLunar said:
The Kirby fandom is denying this game, help, i think i am getting crazy, what is wrong with them.

My ass

Then they aren't Kirby fans.
Probably the same fucktards that said Canvas Curse wasn't a real Kirby game.

I am telling them what is wrong with variety, a different looks and gamestyle.

Yeah this is a spinoff already, just the same as Canvas Curse to them.

I haven't been there in years, and here i though they will be excited for this, but no matter what i say they wont change their mind about it being a spinoff that slapped Kirbys face on it for recognition.

KIRBY FANDOM, I AM DISSAPOINT

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Anyone who hates on this game is... I don't know what the hell they are.

If you hate on this game you're a Dalek.

Or just a mean person.

KevinCow

Banned
SilverLunar said:

My ass

I was kinda thinking that. It doesn't look like any of Kirby's signature abilities are here. It could've easily starred a new character.

That's a dumb thing to hold against the game, though. It still looks great, and I'm fine with it starring Kirby. I just think it would've been neat if they'd introduced a new character, because Nintendo hasn't really done much of that in a while.

Haunted said:
I think I died and woke up in platformer heaven.

alternate reaction: HOLY SHIT WHAT'S THIS? :O
We are currently in an alternate reality where the platformer wasn't beaten into the ground during the N64 generation.

In other words... I'm finally home.

KevinCow said:
I was kinda thinking that. It doesn't look like any of Kirby's signature abilities are here. It could've easily starred a new character.

That's a dumb thing to hold against the game, though. It still looks great, and I'm fine with it starring Kirby. I just think it would've been neat if they'd introduced a new character, because Nintendo hasn't really done much of that in a while.

But, if it starred a new character, and played the exact same, would it really be any more enjoyable?
I mean, what's the point in new IPs if they do the same as old IPs?

GCX

I want to see the development process of this game.

5 years ago we were shown that ugly looking Kirby sidescroller with SSBMelee character models and now we get this beautiful 2D platformer.

KevinCow

Banned
AceBandage said:
But, if it starred a new character, and played the exact same, would it really be any more enjoyable?
I mean, what's the point in new IPs if they do the same as old IPs?

That's the thing, it's not the same as an old IP. It looks extremely different from Kirby games of the past. Instead of splitting the Kirby series into old-style games and this new yarn-style game, they could've kept Kirby the same and made this something else.

You're right though, changing Kirby to a new character wouldn't necessarily make it more enjoyable. I guess I just like having new characters and universes to geek out over. Plus it would be like, here's a new game series that's entirely based on this whole yarn style, instead of, here's a most likely one-off Kirby game with this yarn style.

Lijik

SilverLunar said:

My ass

I was feeling the same thing with Rayman fans complaining about Rayman Origins for equally asinine reasons.

Mass groupings of specific fandoms are just naturally irrational i guess.

Boney

Banned
KevinCow said:
That's the thing, it's not the same as an old IP. It looks extremely different from Kirby games of the past. Instead of splitting the Kirby series into old-style games and this new yarn-style game, they could've kept Kirby the same and made this something else.
It looks different, but at the same time shares a lot of elements of past Kirby games. Using different powers, tone, probably difficulty, and in a way controls.

I think it's great, maybe this is what some people want from Zelda I suppose, but I couldn't be happier with the decision they made with this title.

I had the strangest reaction to this game when I first saw it. Immediately I hated it and thought that Nintendo should not have even bothered. Then I saw the art style and started to warm up to it. After I saw how it played I loved it. Will be buying this fall.

Holy shit. This looks amazing.

The Kirby series has needed a real shakeup for a while now. This looks like it might deliver, and I know it will be a lot of fun in any case. I'm hyped.

wRATH2x

Banned
Finally a new console Kirby game! I missed you you fat pink motherfucker.

I can't help but love the graphical style, its just a joy to look at, it kind of reminds me of Yoshi's Story but better. This E3 has been filled with 2D side scrollers \o/

It's not a new thing for the Kirby series to have new additions to the franchise with unique game play and graphic styles. Canvas Curse & Dream Course anyone?

It's not like the classic Kirby game play is going to be shelved forever, this is just another cool side game.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Gunloc said:
It's not a new thing for the Kirby series to have new additions to the franchise with unique game play and graphic styles. Canvas Curse & Dream Course anyone?

It's not like the classic Kirby game play is going to be shelved forever, this is just another cool side game.
We already got Kirby Super Star Ultra for the DS, which already made the best Kirby game even better...er? I'm all for them trying out new "gimmicks" like Canvas Curse and such. Hell, Canvas Curse is in my top five DS titles.

KevinCow said:
It doesn't look like any of Kirby's signature abilities are here. It could've easily starred a new character.

I saw him turn into a UFO. He turns into a car. I'm sure other powers are there.

I'd rather this amazingly charming 2D platformer get the sales it needs. If that means making it out of the Kirby IP, then whatever. It's all pink to me.

Rlan

Looks great but looks really slow. The slowest Kirby games (Kirby Dreamland 3, Kirby 64) have been the worst for me.

wRATH2x

Banned
SilverLunar said:
Kirby__s_Epic_Yarn__Rope_by_Gamemastersuperstar.png
I could make a Kirby sucking joke, but that would be too easy.

Oh I forgot about Dr.kirby, what was his reaction?

decon

Damn this game looks so amazing. Almost getting the same fuzy feeling like the time when Sony showed LBP for the first time :D

gerg

Magnus said:
I don't get it. They capture exactly what the game looks like. :lol

The tinniness of the video means you lose a lot of the texture, and I'd say that the texture of the background and elements in the game adds a lot to the charm of it.

Chris R

This and Donkey Kong were the best bits of news to come out of E3 for me today really. I didn't read the entire thread, but is there any word if there will be Classic Controller support??? Would be fucking perfect if that was the case.

rhfb said:
This and Donkey Kong were the best bits of news to come out of E3 for me today really. I didn't read the entire thread, but is there any word if there will be Classic Controller support??? Would be fucking perfect if that was the case.
the demo stations use sideways wiimotes

Top Bottom