• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Haunted

wrneis.jpg

yeahhh.jpg

Forkball

I assume this game will be awesome, but I don't want to spend $50 on something I can probably beat fairly quickly. But Nintendo never drops their prices on first-party titles. Why god, why?

Ridley327

My brother managed to pick this up early and here's what I've noticed:

-the graphics are absolutely phenomenal; it's simply stunning to watch in motion
-the music is very chill and pleasing
-the difficulty is non-existent, for the most part; there's little penalty for getting hit (you really can't die) and gems are plentiful; some of the bonus levels have specific challenges where it can be down to the wire on whether you'll get a gold medal, but they're largely manageable
-co-op play is a bit wonky because it's incredibly easy to grab your partner when you intend to grab something else, which leads to frustration for a game that prides itself on not having any; they did incorporate the safety bubble mechanic from NSMB Wii into the game, while making it easier for another player because it always homes right in on the other player
-it's adorable to an almost nauseating degree; seeing Kirby and Fluff dancing jigs or watching Waddle Dees doing the monkey... it's like a Lisa Frank folder cover come to life, with less pink and glitter

Boney

Banned
I can't believe it took me like a month to realize that the whole pants thing is because the grass is made out of cloth.. im so stupid.

GeekyDad

It's absurd how good that game looks. Kind of hard to tell secondhand, but it almost looks on par with LittleBigPlanet. I'm ready to roll meh tank Kirby over some waddle-dees!

eXistor

How awesome would it be if the game came in a cloth cover and you'd have to open it using a zipper, revealing the gamecase?

Anyway, very excited for this, glad I pre-ordered the US version as NoE is being lazy again with this release I see...

One slight downside to the game for me is the music. I love the melodies, but they're a bit too relaxed for my tastes. Older Kirby games always had a very frenetic feel to the songs which seems to be completely gone. I guess it does fit the theme of the game a bit better this way, but still.

Ridley327

GeekyDad said:
It's absurd how good that game looks. Kind of hard to tell secondhand, but it almost looks on par with LittleBigPlanet. I'm ready to roll meh tank Kirby over some waddle-dees!
It obviously doesn't compare technically as far as lighting and resolution is concerned, but it looks fantastic regardless and it runs at 60 fps. It's one of the nicest looking things I've ever seen on my TV.

Ridley327 said:

-the graphics are absolutely phenomenal; it's simply stunning to watch in motion
-the difficulty is non-existent, for the most part; there's little penalty for getting hit (you really can't die) and gems are plentiful; some of the bonus levels have specific challenges where it can be down to the wire on whether you'll get a gold medal, but they're largely manageable
-co-op play is a bit wonky because it's incredibly easy to grab your partner when you intend to grab something else, which leads to frustration for a game that prides itself on not having any; they did incorporate the safety bubble mechanic from NSMB Wii into the game, while making it easier for another player because it always homes right in on the other player
-it's adorable to an almost nauseating degree; seeing Kirby and Fluff dancing jigs or watching Waddle Dees doing the monkey... it's like a Lisa Frank folder cover come to life, with less pink and glitter
The difficulty has me a bit concerned, what's the point of these enemies if you can't really die?

Ranger X

That's the cutest game I've ever wanted! lol

This looks so good! (gameplay). But I never thought they could make Kirby even cuter/kiddy/gay, seriously.

:lol

Ridley327

Scythesurge said:
The difficulty has me a bit concerned, what's the point of these enemies if you can't really die?
They tend to be in areas that have gems that are normally hard to access on your own, so you'd use them in whatever way you can to obtain them. Outside of that, the bosses are the only things that really go out of their way to attack you and you still can't die. The difficulty is absolutely going to be the biggest sticking point against the game, no dbout.

Ridley327 said:
They tend to be in areas that have gems that are normally hard to access on your own, so you'd use them in whatever way you can to obtain them. Outside of that, the bosses are the only things that really go out of their way to attack you and you still can't die. The difficulty is absolutely going to be the biggest sticking point against the game, no dbout.
Well that makes the boss fights seem kinda pointless then. I played against the dragon one in the demo and without being able to die, the battle is not engaging at all. I wasn't expecting a Kirby game to be challenging really but I'd like at least some sort of sense of accomplishment.

Ridley327

It'll be interesting to see reactions to the game; I went into it with the mindset already that it was going to be nothing more than a gentle walk in a yarn-and-denim-covered park, but that's not going to stop it from being measured up to recent platforming design successes like NSMB Wii. I guess I'll say this: if you really dug on Wario Land: Shake It!, there's little doubt that you'll love this game. If you took issue with that game's de-emphasized focus on complex platforming tropes, then you're not going to find anything different with Kirby.

Scythesurge said:
Well that makes the boss fights seem kinda pointless then. I played against the dragon one in the demo and without being able to die, the battle is not engaging at all. I wasn't expecting a Kirby game to be challenging really but I'd like at least some sort of sense of accomplishment.

but you won't get a good medal without gems!!!

Ridley327 said:

i agree with all of this except that i kind of hate the music

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just occurred to me that the title has a double meaning.

Epic Yarn = Big, exciting, exaggerated story.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ZealousD said:
Just occurred to me that the title has a double meaning.

Epic Yarn = Big, exciting, exaggerated story.
.... you didn't realize the double meaning of the title until now? :lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ridley327 said:
It'll be interesting to see reactions to the game; I went into it with the mindset already that it was going to be nothing more than a gentle walk in a yarn-and-denim-covered park, but that's not going to stop it from being measured up to recent platforming design successes like NSMB Wii. I guess I'll say this: if you really dug on Wario Land: Shake It!, there's little doubt that you'll love this game. If you took issue with that game's de-emphasized focus on complex platforming tropes, then you're not going to find anything different with Kirby.
Sold. I loved Wario Land: Shake It! That's enough for me.

Boney

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Yeah, I don't know why everyone asks if the game's difficult. There's never been a difficult Kirby game before.
Really... that's like the whole point of Kirby. Being easy.

.la1n

I seem to recall the early Kirby games (gameboy, nes) giving me a hard time at points back when I was younger. Also worth noting I was better at games back then. Mario 3 used to be a piece of cake now I find myself tempted to use the whistle cheats.

Oli

2 Minutes Turkish said:
1) This has a Yoshi's Story vibe to it and I LOVED Yoshi's Story

2) Next year for PAL, FUCK THAT!

3) This game looks hot.

Wait, someone LIKED Yoshi's Story?... BESIDES me?? :D

Vanille

Scythesurge said:

Yeah, I'm not liking the sound of this at all. It's a shame, because the boss fights actually look really cool. But with no sense of danger or accomplishment, it's just not fun.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Mine comes with FONV since I'm having my items grouped together. Whats with Nintendo and Sunday releases?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh shiiii- This is out?! Damn :D

Ashkeloth said:
This game looks great and adorable.

Thanks to NoE, I'll be able to play it 3 months minimum after everyone else has enjoyed it.

...And they wonder why people mod their Wii's?
WHAT

NoE is supposed to be awesome? FUCK

The shittastic thing is I'll just wait and buy it anyway when it's here like with Super Paper Mario :(

Drkirby said:
Yes, lots do. I think their expectations were to high, like Mario Sunshine.
and MGS4, and Zelda TP, and Final Fantasy XIII, and...

Loved Yoshi's Story because I bought it from a guy for 5$, never heard about this game before, played it and I was like OMG!

Ridley327

I'd like Yoshi's Story a lot more if the structure of the game wasn't so dumb. There was no reason not to go through all the levels in one go instead of the "pick one, then another one, and another one and now you're done with the game!" design they adopted.

zigg

Vanille said:
Yeah, I'm not liking the sound of this at all. It's a shame, because the boss fights actually look really cool. But with no sense of danger or accomplishment, it's just not fun.

Danger: you lose your beads when you get hit.

Accomplishment: you get better rankings the more beads you finish a level with.

Also: it was absolutely fun at E3.

Oli said:
Wait, someone LIKED Yoshi's Story?... BESIDES me?? :D

Fucking LOVED it. Awesome simplistic fun in a cartridge.

Did the 'arts and crafts' visual style LONG before Little Big Planet. Nintendo invented that shit.

Some of the best (see cutest) sound in a game ever.

"Eat aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaashole, eat aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasshole"

"Balls, look at mah baaaalls"

Top Bottom