• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fantasy Final said:
and MGS4, and Zelda TP, and Final Fantasy XIII, and...

Loved Yoshi's Story because I bought it from a guy for 5$, never heard about this game before, played it and I was like OMG!
For MGS4 and FFXIII, I will admit they were very flawed and likely to polorize people. I didn't go into MGS4 thinking "Best game ever!", I went in "Ok, I finished MGS1 to 3, now to play #4"

I have never really been that big of a fan of the Final Fantasy games, but I can at least say the beginning of it is very poor.

For Zelda TP, its the "New Zelda is out, old one is now awesome" effect. Wind Waker comes out, people "hate" it, Major's Mask is now loved by all. Twilight Princess comes out, people "hate" it, Wind waker is loved by all. Phantom Hourglass comes out, people "hate" it, Minish Cap is now loved. Spirit Tracks comes out, people "hate" it, Phantom Hourglass is now loved.

As soon as Skyward Sword comes out, people will "hate" it, and Twilight Princess will get its love.

Vanille

zigg said:
Danger: you lose your beads when you get hit.

Accomplishment: you get better rankings the more beads you finish a level with.

Also: it was absolutely fun at E3.

Well, I guess that's better than nothing. But it's still really lame knowing that you're going to win no matter what when you face a boss.

Drkirby said:
For Zelda TP, its the "New Zelda is out, old one is now awesome" effect. Wind Waker comes out, people "hate" it, Major's Mask is now loved by all. Twilight Princess comes out, people "hate" it, Wind waker is loved by all. Phantom Hourglass comes out, people "hate" it, Minish Cap is now loved. Spirit Tracks comes out, people "hate" it, Phantom Hourglass is now loved.

As soon as Skyward Sword comes out, people will "hate" it, and Twilight Princess will get its love.
:lol This is so true

Ridley327

Drkirby said:
For MGS4 and FFXIII, I will admit they were very flawed and likely to polorize people. I didn't go into MGS4 thinking "Best game ever!", I went in "Ok, I finished MGS1 to 3, now to play #4"

I have never really been that big of a fan of the Final Fantasy games, but I can at least say the beginning of it is very poor.

I'm pretty sure that people still hated Phantom Hourglass after Spirit Tracks came out, but it's an otherwise apt description. :lol

Vanille

Drkirby said:

I'll give you Wind Waker, but Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass still get the same amount of hate as before.

And people dislike Twilight Princess because of the horrible pacing and lack of difficulty. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Amir0x

Banned
Drkirby said:

Sorry everyone who is sane still hates Phantom Hourglass. Piece of crap.

I loved Wind Waker when it came out, and I still love Wind Waker now. Same with Twilight Princess. STOP YOUR ZERUDA FANBASE GENERALIZING LIES

P.S. I played Kirby at NYCC and it was kinda actually fun. And I hate Kirby games (other than Canvas Curse). Still seems too easy but I just might buy this now. Just the graphics style alone guarantees this I think...

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Co-oped through the first world last night (Japanese version). It is a fantastic game!

The enemies don't "kill" you, but they make you lose massive massive amounts of beads, which if you are collecting like you should be, is likely a greater punishment than death. There is challenge here.

Sadist

Drkirby said:

I call it the Nintendo cycle. Yes, I'm a Nintendo fan myself, but after frequenting messageboards for the last six years, this patern always seems to return. I've seen it happen to Windwaker when Twilight Princess came along, Sunshine when both Galaxy games arrived and recently, Prime 3 after the release of Other M.

This even applies when discussing consoles. Seriously, a lot more people like the Gamecube now these days then they did back when it was available on the shelves :lol

I'm not saying this happens everywhere, but I've seen this patern a lot.

Artanisix

Definitely on the fence with this one. On one hand, it looks amazing, and I'm sure the girlfriend will love it since Kirby is her favorite videogame character. On the other hand, I don't want a game that is ridiculously easy, and I want something that's going to last a while...

What's the average game length to complete this??

Oli

Amir0x said:

I loved Wind Waker when it came out, and I still love Wind Waker now. Same with Twilight Princess. STOP YOUR ZERUDA FANBASE GENERALIZING LIES

P.S. I played Kirby at NYCC and it was kinda actually fun. And I hate Kirby games (other than Canvas Curse). Still seems too easy but I just might buy this now. Just the graphics style alone guarantees this I think...

Er...

Amir0x said:
And I hate Kirby games (other than Canvas Curse). Still seems too easy but I just might buy this now. Just the graphics style alone guarantees this I think...
You should try Kirby's Adventure on NES. Maybe the hardest of the series out there and it's classic Kirby gameplay with some really cool features and some mini-games. This game pretty much defined Kirby games as we know it now.

Amir0x

Banned
Fantasy Final said:
You should try Kirby's Adventure on NES. Maybe the hardest of the series out there and it's classic Kirby gameplay with some really cool features and some mini-games. This game pretty much defined Kirby games as we know it now.

I did. Was extremely easy too.

No Kirby game ever goes beyond that, unfortunately, which is what keeps me away: the boring simplicity of it and the bland level design, imo.

But I do like the look of this game, and it was fun...on co-op anyway. I didn't play single player.

Oli said:

Case closed.

Oli

Amir0x said:
Case closed.

lol, well I'll admit that I have never had the urge to go back and play Phantom Hourglass again. But I really enjoyed it on my first playthrough. It's not the greatest by any means, but it has some redeeming qualities about it.

Amir0x

Banned
Oli said:
lol, well I'll admit that I have never had the urge to go back and play Phantom Hourglass again. But I really enjoyed it on my first playthrough. It's not the greatest by any means, but it has some redeeming qualities about it.

Yeah this is a Kirby thread so I could point you to this review I wrote about it in PM or some other time.

As for Kirby, I liked fucking with my teammate. That seemed to be more fun than I usually have in Kirby games. And the graphics are wowsome.

D...Did I mention the graphics?

Im kind of on the fence about this game, what are some of the things in this game that make it better than yoshi's story from the n64 (which was a very mediocre game).

Oli

Amir0x said:
Yeah this is a Kirby thread so I could point you to this review I wrote about it in PM or some other time.

As for Kirby, I liked fucking with my teammate. That seemed to be more fun than I usually have in Kirby games. And the graphics are wowsome.

D...Did I mention the graphics?

Yeah, I can't wait to play through this with my friend. Honestly the prospect of playing coop on a game like this, with less consequence for screwing around, sounds better than the experience I've had with something like NSMB which is chaotic madness.

I've heard the game looks great on an HDTV even though it's SD. Is there any truth to that?

Ridley327

Anticitizen One said:
Im kind of on the fence about this game, what are some of the things in this game that make it better than yoshi's story from the n64 (which was a very mediocre game).
Well, it doesn't lock out most of the game with a back-asswards progression system, for starters.

There's also quite a bit of exploration in the levels since a few of the treasures you come across can unlock special challenge levels.

Amir0x

Banned
Oli said:
Yeah, I can't wait to play through this with my friend. Honestly the prospect of playing coop on a game like this, with less consequence for screwing around, sounds better than the experience I've had with something like NSMB which is chaotic madness.

I've heard the game looks great on an HDTV even though it's SD. Is there any truth to that?

I mean, they had a decent set up at ComicCon. It looked pretty decent there for sure.

ryan-ts

Gonna be hard to explain the lack of difficulty to my friends

Friend: So wait... there's no way to die?

Me: Yeah dude, the difficulty lies in getting all the beads from each level

Friend: Sounds shitty

Me: Suck my dick, it looks like heaven

End Scene.

Really though, I wish the beads would have unlocked a bonus world or final boss for all your hard work if you collect enough. Mini games are nice but not nice enough for me to collect everything.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Amir0x said:

There seems to be a decent rise in people who are saying "It wasn't that bad"

AniHawk

Anticitizen One said:

Kirby's Epic Yarn is more like a standard platformer, with a left to right progression and some hidden items. When you reach the end of a level, you go to the next level, and then a boss fight. There's also a lot of interaction with the background, so the visuals aren't just cute, but they actually make sense.

Yoshi's Story was honestly a little baffling. The game was essentially a collectathon- the only way to get from level to level was to collect 30 types of fruit and then you'd go to the next level. And while there were 24 levels in total, you couldn't play them in succession. You could only select one of the four levels from each of the 6 pages each time.

Teppic

lobdale said:
Co-oped through the first world last night (Japanese version). It is a fantastic game!

The enemies don't "kill" you, but they make you lose massive massive amounts of beads, which if you are collecting like you should be, is likely a greater punishment than death. There is challenge here.
What are these beads good for?

Ridley327

Teppic said:
What are these beads good for?
Mostly for buying new furniture (which include a few classic Kirby enemies) and fabrics, but they act as a kind of high score for each level. There's also a "streak" mechanic at work in every level, which as far as I can tell is how many individual beads you can collect without losing any. It adds to your total at the end of the level.

Teppic

Ridley327 said:
Mostly for buying new furniture (which include a few classic Kirby enemies) and fabrics, but they act as a kind of high score for each level. There's also a "streak" mechanic at work in every level, which as far as I can tell is how many individual beads you can collect without losing any. It adds to your total at the end of the level.
Sigh. If there was some unlocking mechanic for new levels or something I could see it being interesting. Not some boring furniture.

Can someone post the composers when the opportunity rises?

Hopefully (I'm kinda doubtful) it's done by the HAL folks, loved Air Ride and Melee's orchestrated music. :D

Silkworm

I can't recall exactly, but what did getting 100% in Yoshi's Island gain you? You needed to find all the red coins or some sort of collectable (maybe it was flower petals?) in each stage to get a 100% final score. But did this open up extra levels? I think it might have, but I can't remember for sure *sigh* I liked the challenge in doing this in that game so if there is a similar reward in Kirby's Epic Yarn, then that's good enough for me :)

Ridley327

sfried said:
It's...beautiful...

Soundtrack of the Year.

I hear you can unlock "missions" as well.
Over the course of play, you'll get more people trying to move into your apartment complex, but they need certain pieces of furniture in order to move in. Once they do, they have a special challenge level that you can play.

After the rape Gourmet Race had at the hands of Sakuraba, it's nice to hear a great remix of it again.

lupinko

Oli said:

Well 480p when upscaled by your HDTV can still look nice on 1080p.

Ridley327

The game has crazy good IQ, so it's going to look stellar on any TV set.

The game also has a screenshot function if you want to stare at a particular scene for hours on end.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x, if you think Kirby games are easy, try beating the True Arena on SSU. It's not that hard, but it definately gave me a lot of trouble.

Adam J.

It wasn't the greatest game (far from it), but I enjoyed the hell out of WarioLand Shake It! If this is as good, or better, I'll be a happy boy.

Picking this up next Tuesday. Any game with pants graphics deserves a first week purchase.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Ridley327 said:
The game has crazy good IQ, so it's going to look stellar on any TV set.

The game also has a screenshot function if you want to stare at a particular scene for hours on end.
Don't mean to be a hater, but 480p is never crazy good IQ. :\

Top Bottom