• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
Amir0x, if you think Kirby games are easy, try beating the True Arena on SSU. It's not that hard, but it definately gave me a lot of trouble.

is there a single person on Earth who doesn't think the Kirby games are easy? you say this like I'm the only one on the planet that feels that way :lol

Doorman

Adam J. said:
It wasn't the greatest game (far from it), but I enjoyed the hell out of WarioLand Shake It! If this is as good, or better, I'll be a happy boy.
Agreed. I started recently getting back into Shake It, and while there are some flaws there's a lot to appreciate about it, too. Trying to collect all the treasures and clear all the challenges can be quite a task to sink time into, so if the beads-granting-medals mechanic works out at all similar to that, I have a feeling this will be a game I can enjoy and try to perfect for quite some time.

I love how much attention the graphics are getting. I wish more big-ticket games got this abstract with their visual designs. Potentially a day 1 or at least a week 1, it just depends on my schedule and cash situation.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
is there a single person on Earth who doesn't think the Kirby games are easy? you say this like I'm the only one on the planet that feels that way :lol

Kirby games are easy until you get to that true last final boss. Then the difficulty ratchets up to I Hate You levels.

Kifimbo

OMG at this game!

By the way, for those asking about length, I'm at 17% after a little more than two hours. Looks like a 10-12 hours game, maybe more when you consider it's probably gonna get tougher, and there are plenty of secrets and side stuff.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Played up to the 10% point(according to save file) tonight on a retail review copy. Strange to play a Kirby title where you don't absorb enemies and their abilities, and thus the first world played out as the easiest platformer in existence. Finding all collectables and earning the best ranks came effortlessly in the 4-5 stages I zipped right through. Outside of the visual aesthetic and occasional transformation section(Giant tank and snowboard Kirby), it's standard platformer fare. I actually was pretty dissapointed that all the power stealing is now missing. It plays well and looks great, but the early game isn't showing any gameplay innovation beyond occasionally 'unzipping' doors.

Largest downer was the music, which is a total snorefest. The boppy and lively classic Kirby themes are nowhere in sight(from what I played) and much of the selections were so calming it saps away much of any thrill of playing this game.

Nintendo fans will eat it up and should likely have no problem earning 100% in a weekend or slightly more. For comparison, Shake It! Looks to be a zillion times more difficult to perfect.

KTallguy

Banned
As a closet Kirby fan, it's disappointing that the game gives you the power ups only when it wants to. That kind of takes all the creativity out of the play. One of the cool things about the older Kirbys was using absorbed abilities in different situations to get a specific advantage. So if I prepare for an area with a specific ability I'm rewarded with a faster route, or am able to quickly kill enemies that would normally be much tougher. It also feels so slow paced...

Love the art style though.

LM4sure

Banned
Just finished the game. Took about 10 hours in total I think. Played the game co-op with my girlfriend and we had an absolute blast. Not as good as NSMB Wii co-op but still pretty fun.

I'd recommend it for some good co-op gameplay with someone who isn't very good at video games.

LM4sure said:
Just finished the game. Took about 10 hours in total I think. Played the game co-op with my girlfriend and we had an absolute blast. Not as good as NSMB Wii co-op but still pretty fun.

I'd recommend it for some good co-op gameplay with someone who isn't very good at video games.
10 hours? That's more than I expected.

slaughterking said:
YES!

m.i.s.

Banned
AniHawk said:
Kirby games are easy until you get to that true last final boss. Then the difficulty ratchets up to I Hate You levels.

Try the 242nd star in Super Mario Galaxy 2. :D

LM4sure

Banned
Fantasy Final said:
10 hours? That's more than I expected.

Yes, but that was playing co-op with my girlfriend, someone who never plays video games. NSMB probably took 3 times as long for us to beat compared to if I had played it by myself.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nobody can escape the cute.

ryan-ts

EatChildren said:
Nobody can escape the cute.

1414143-rvl_kirbysey_01char01_e3_super.jpg

Muahahahawwwwwwwww

This was the most impressive game at E3, viewed from a distance. Gotta get it, but with all the great games this holiday I am very $ weary. :0(

9.5 game informer! pretty good!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Amir0x said:
I am going to argue that them being easy is the point. The games are meant to be easy enough to be beaten by just about anyone, but to have game play worth playing in that it appeals to not only a more casual fan base, but to the core gaming fan base as well. They are simple games that are just plain fun to try and run though them as fast as possible.

Also, if you really think the game is still to easy, there are a few things you can do to artificially make it more difficult. One is to play them without using any abilities, and anther is to play it in a Megaman 9 like "Pacifist" mode where you will not attack anything stopping you from progress (It seems though that it is impossible to play it without killing any normal enemy, since not only do most just jump right at you, many are standing right in the way of a path, and touching an enemy usually kills them)

GeekyDad

Amir0x said:

Epic Yarn isn't the first Kirby game to place its challenge in the collection of items. I think that's perhaps the defining element of Kirby, aside from his ability to take on the powers of other monsters. Straight running through the levels of almost any Kirby game is easy, sure. But try collecting all the little treasures; then things get interesting. It's a series of play rooms, really. Simply running through the levels of a Kirby game without stopping to figure out how to acquire all the little trinkets is to miss the forest for the trees, I think.

Dr.Hadji

Gameradar review is invalid because they call Cavas Curse a tech demo. I'll get my Kirby gushing from else where thank you.

KevinCow

Banned
God dammit guys I just made some money and I think it's going straight into this game.

Stupid Kirby, stealing my money.

miksar

nincompoop said:
Wow, the Kirby hype is so infectious that Gametrailers actually bothered to reviewed it! (They never even reviewed Wario Land Shake.)
I remember they even gave it E3 Best Graphics and that caused so much rage in comments.

Gilby

zigg said:
"Kirby's new game isn't hard, but neither is eating a fudge sundae..."

:D
:D :D :D
There are not enough smilies in the world for this game. I just watched the GB quicklook, and I'm grinning from ear to ear. This is the perfect break from a medium currently filled with space-marines and headshots.

Amir0x said:

Kirby games has always been easy, but damn, they are always so much fun!

geebee

Banned
Gonna play this one beginning to end co-op with my gf. I'm expecting it to be one of the most fun (local)multiplayer experiences this year. :D

Adam J.

I was thinking about baking a cake or some cookies before I fire up my copy. I want that warm, gooey smell in my house when I play this game.

Top Bottom