• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
lordoftherink said:
Can't fucking wait. Nice thread.
Bravo, sir. Bravo.

This is too darn cute. I wondered what the hell the OP's title was about, but then I saw that pic and melted in my seat.

MrDaravon

Giant Bomb Quick Look 100% sold me on buying this immediately tomorrow morning, holy fuck I feel like I am the happiest I have ever been in my entire life just watching it :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Drkirby said:
I am going to argue that them being easy is the point. The games are meant to be easy enough to be beaten by just about anyone, but to have game play worth playing in that it appeals to not only a more casual fan base, but to the core gaming fan base as well. They are simple games that are just plain fun to try and run though them as fast as possible.

Also, if you really think the game is still to easy, there are a few things you can do to artificially make it more difficult. One is to play them without using any abilities, and anther is to play it in a Megaman 9 like "Pacifist" mode where you will not attack anything stopping you from progress (It seems though that it is impossible to play it without killing any normal enemy, since not only do most just jump right at you, many are standing right in the way of a path, and touching an enemy usually kills them)

Yes, you may argue that. I'm just arguing that's exactly the reason I generally don't like Kirby games. I don't want easy games, ever. They're boring and there is literally no reward for beating them. It feels pointless to even bother with them.

But in the case of Epic Yarn, even though it's ridiculously easy too, I just basically want to play the game for the visuals. And to annoy people in co-op.

GeekyDad said:
But try collecting all the little treasures; then things get interesting. It's a series of play rooms, really. Simply running through the levels of a Kirby game without stopping to figure out how to acquire all the little trinkets is to miss the forest for the trees, I think.

Heh, that's actually worse than how easy everything is. Collectathoning is the worst gaming standard ever.

OMG the giantbomb quick look :lol :lol :lol
This is the best looking game I've seen in a long time, btw. Are the graphics made in 2D or 3D? I cannot tell!

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
I'm only a fan of SuperStar, Adventure and Canvas Course. You should give the first 2 a spin bro.

I've played all of them.

Of those, I only like Canvas Curse. Canvas Curse was the first implementation of the touch screen I ever liked to boot. It's totally unlike any other Kirby game, though, which is probably the point :lol

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
iw6eki.jpg
iw6eki.jpg
iw6eki.jpg
iw6eki.jpg

iw6eki.jpg
iw6eki.jpg
iw6eki.jpg
iw6eki.jpg

Gravijah

bytesized said:
OMG the giantbomb quick look :lol :lol :lol
This is the best looking game I've seen in a long time, btw. Are the graphics made in 2D or 3D? I cannot tell!

they are made of yarn

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
nincompoop said:
Wow, the Kirby hype is so infectious that Gametrailers actually bothered to reviewed it! (They never even reviewed Wario Land Shake.)
Is it just me, or now that Cassamasina has left IGN does GameTrailers have the best (and just about the only good) video voice over guy left? He's the only one I hear that seems even remotely professional.

Raide

Just watched the GiantBomb video. Damn this game looks super cute. Anyone get a weird Castlevania vibe from it with the platforming and whipping. Kirbyvania confirmed!

m.i.s.

Banned
AniHawk said:
Who do you think you're talking to.

Not you personally, I was responding to the "Then the difficulty ratchets up to I Hate You levels." in general. Which is what acquiring the 242nd star felt like.

AniHawk

Gravijah said:
Purple coins stopped me from ever getting more than 100 stars in SMG. I hope SMG2 doesn't have many of those.

It has probably the one that everyone hates most, because it's tied to the motion control. Regardless, purple coins will be the least of your controller-throwing worries.

Gravijah said:
Purple coins stopped me from ever getting more than 100 stars in SMG. I hope SMG2 doesn't have many of those.
It has some, but they're much better than the purple coin "challenges" from SMG1. They require actual skill to collect this time instead of just being lame scavenger hunts.

Gravijah

AniHawk said:
It has probably the one that everyone hates most, because it's tied to the motion control.

Is it short? I can deal with redoing short things, but stuff like the purple coin challenges on the bee stage were ugh. Messing up accidentally and having to do it all over again. So disheartening.

AniHawk

Gravijah said:
Is it short? I can deal with redoing short things, but stuff like the purple coin challenges on the bee stage were ugh. Messing up accidentally and having to do it all over again. So disheartening.

Eh, two of them are basically straight shots, no going back, and you can always kill Mario if you know you won't have enough.

seady

Toys R Us is having a promotion on this game next week (starting tomorrow). $10 giftcard + free Strategy Guide with purchase of the game.

sfried

seady said:
Toys R Us is having a promotion on this game next week (starting tomorrow). $10 giftcard + free Strategy Guide with purchase of the game.
Can somebody direct me to the website which says this? I'm heading there this very moment for their Buy 2 Get 1 Free and this pops up.

Gravijah

seady said:

strategy guide for this game? why can't they do that with say... DRAGON QUEST IX OR SOMETHING?!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This... I don't know. Seems too childish for me :lol Sorry, had to say it. Will probably get it for Co Op but none of my buddies will surely want to play it. Add to it that Kirby games are EASY... well... =/

The_Technomancer said:
Is it just me, or now that Cassamasina has left IGN does GameTrailers have the best (and just about the only good) video voice over guy left? He's the only one I hear that seems even remotely professional.
Agreed. Oh and for the thread, can't wait, looks amazing, love Kirby (save for 3 and Superstar), etc. It only sucks that "Super Tough Pink Puff" doesn't work anymore. Epic something Pink Yarn, I don't know.

Weenerz

Banned
Giant Bomb quick look was great, they really were able to demo the great parts of this game. Didn't need to be sold on buying a Nintendo game, but they double sold me.

(._.)

Banned
seady said:
I would if I had a Toys-R-Us near me.

(._.) said:
I would if I had a Toys-R-Us near me.

It's funny. The mention of that just brought back a great memory of picking up Kirby Super Star as a kid with my brother at Toys R Us. Roughly fifteen years later, looks like I'll be reliving that moment.

lupinko

I guess I can use the store credit I was saving for the 3DS for this on Sunday then. :D :lol

kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!@!!!!!!!!!!!1

Blizzard

Banned
sfried said:
Can somebody direct me to the website which says this? I'm heading there this very moment for their Buy 2 Get 1 Free and this pops up.
Yeah, I was going to use a $20 Amazon credit from Metroid Other M, but apparently Amazon.com doesn't sell this particular game...so the new Donkey Kong won out instead. I might go for Toys R Us tomorrow if anyone has info on the deal, though. (I'm guessing a strategy guide may not be necessary for a Kirby game, even though I <3 Kirby :p)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Blizzard said:
Yeah, I was going to use a $20 Amazon credit from Metroid Other M, but apparently Amazon.com doesn't sell this particular game...so the new Donkey Kong won out instead. I might go for Toys R Us tomorrow if anyone has info on the deal, though. (I'm guessing a strategy guide may not be necessary for a Kirby game, even though I <3 Kirby :p)
Not sure what you're seeing but Amazon is most definitely selling Epic Yarn.

Top Bottom