• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koizumi: "Soon you will a lot more (Switch) announcements from third-party partners."

Brofield

Don't get me wrong, I'm satisfied with the indie and Japanese support right now, but a console in this day and age does not perform well with only support from one hemisphere of the globe. Wii U should be more than a fresh example.

I don't expect anymore game announcements right now, or really a deluge of them before E3, and I'm confident in their claim of 80 games in development from 50 partners. I just wish they'd put out a little more info to entice those western developers who don't have their games in active development for Switch put some thought and consideration into it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm sure they will have a good amount of Japanese third party support, but for those who want western support as well as japanese third party support on one system, well..i'm not holding my breath.

Its fine though, Nintendo can definately survive on their own franchises and what they can procure from other Japanese devs in addition to indies.

Nintendo has thought a lot about their approach and Switch has been generally received well so far from fans.

If i want a more 'core' box, its not as if PS4/PC/XB1 doesn't exist. Nintendo has their own niche they can fill in my library as well as a side machine

More diversity in the library is always welcome. I imagine most of those third-party projects won't be talked about until around E3 at the earliest, though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is good, but they've talked about better tools before, and I would have hoped they'd have had more positiv comments by now from third parties. The guys on stage at the presentation were terrible and very cagey on support with seemingly very little concrete to talk about.

Good messaging, but hurry the fuck up

Neoxon

1,2 Switch and Arms seem to be the only titles that support this claim.

Zelda and Mario Kart 8 are Wii U ports, and Splatoon 2 seems to be more of the same.

Only Xenoblade 2 and Mario Oddyssey come to mind when reading that quote. And those are late 2017 or 2018 releases...

As for Super Mario Odyssey, we already know that the game's basically done. It's likely being held back either for extra polishing or to space out their releases.

The Boat

Don't get me wrong, I'm satisfied with the indie and Japanese support right now, but a console in this day and age does not perform well with only support from one hemisphere of the globe. Wii U should be more than a fresh example.

I don't expect anymore game announcements right now, or really a deluge of them before E3, and I'm confident in their claim of 80 games in development from 50 partners. I just wish they'd put out a little more info to entice those western developers who don't have their games in active development for Switch put some thought and consideration into it.

The indie games are from "the other hemisphere" though.

Nerokis

It's almost surreal that Koizumi is all of a sudden one of the main spokespeople for Nintendo. The man has long been this quiet genius, making lesser acknowledged contributions ranging from writing Link's Awakening script to coming up with Z-Targeting for OoT, and now it turns out he's also an effective showman.

Considering Nintendo's long-term position in the console market is about as uncertain as it has ever been, it's an interesting time for him to be taking up all this additional pressure.

Faustek

Is this supposed to be a bad thing?

that would be ideal

So all I want? Cool.

Your point?

That's what I want though.

LOL wait so now only western devs can be 3rd parties now?

Welcome to Wii U scenario where it's a Nintendo machine and only 10-20m people will buy it. Seems as some of you prefer it that way.
Sigh, did we watch the same presentation? Nintendo is gambling that the gimmick will reinvigorate the Wii crowd, or today's equivalent, to come back to them because purely Nintendo doesn't do much in the home console space. Man I'm really hoping Pokemon and AC comes out sooner than later and exclusively because if the Nintendo console games only scenario and badly selling Japanese 3rd part games(my favourite games on 3DS) this console is dead.

And the EA ridicule? Yes I barely play any of their games they are still one of the biggest companies out there and their games moves consoles. So just suck it up, Nintendo's console needs EA more than EA ever needed them. Same goes for Ubisoft, WB and any other major western publisher.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hmm that depens on how you look at it. It will sell less than a half of DS and less than PSP.

Still the best selling system this gen and will only be outsold by the PS4.
...and this after a terrible launch and Nintendo providing a system that was designed for the pre-smartphone era.
Welcome to Wii U scenario where it's a Nintendo machine and only 10-20m people will buy it.

You already know about the Switch announcements for this year ? Cool.

Cartho

sry it only comes in suppository form

anigif_enhanced-buzz-22572-1401730403-8.gif

Welcome to Wii U scenario where it's a Nintendo machine and only 10-20m people will buy it. Seems as some of you prefer it that way.
Sigh, did we watch the same presentation? Nintendo is gambling that the gimmick will reinvigorate the Wii crowd, or today's equivalent, to come back to them because purely Nintendo doesn't do much in the home console space. Man I'm really hoping Pokemon and AC comes out sooner than later and exclusively because if the Nintendo console games only scenario and badly selling Japanese 3rd part games(my favourite games on 3DS) this console is dead.

And the EA ridicule? Yes I barely play any of their games they are still one of the biggest companies out there and their games moves consoles. So just suck it up, Nintendo's console needs EA more than EA ever needed them. Same goes for Ubisoft, WB and any other major western publisher.

3DS didn't have EA, Ubi, or Activision and still sold more than the Wii U which did have those guys.

Asd202

Still the best selling system this gen and will only be outsold by the PS4.
...and this after a terrible launch and Nintendo providing a system that was designed for the pre-smartphone era.

Switch will sell than 3DS though. I don't see how it could grown from 3DS without serious western support and it's current price. Also Switch will have less games than 3DS from Japanese 3rd party developers because of much higher develpment costs and time needed to make those games.

notaskwid

The whole interview is interesting.

Koizumi directly says the plan is for 3DS owners to upgrade to Switch.

On the downside he also says the Smartphone app is pretty essential to the online experience.:(
Announce a new Gyakuten Saiban and I'm there. #killthe3ds

phanphare

Banned

probably more accurate to compare it to 3DS in terms of support plus a lot more indies since the Switch's hardware can support all of the widely used engines that the OG 3DS could not

NolbertoS

Watch this "third party partners" turn out to be either a) Japanese or b) indies.

I think your post severely backfired, bud. 3rd party Japanese games and indie at the Switch launch is already a win in my books. The Western 3rd party support will take time to woo. I know most of them will wait to see how Switch sales do before committing, thats how they operate.

Neoxon

• If Eurogamer's sources are on the money, a mainline Pokémon game may be Switch-bound later this year.
  • Part of the problem with the Wii U was that its Japanese third party support wasn't on the level of the 3DS. Hopefully the Switch rectifies this.
  • With the exception of Ubisoft, most of the western publishers seem to be waiting for the Switch to sell decently before they commit to any significant Switch support (as mentioned before). I'd imagine that the Wii U kinda scared them off, & what support they're offering is generally half-assed (see EA with FIFA). Nintendo kinda got themselves into this mess, & I sadly don't see them getting out unless the Switch sells like hotcakes.

Oregano

Switch will sell than 3DS though. I don't see how it could grown from 3DS without serious western support.

I think you're right but the PS4 is the only system going to grow from its predecessor right now. The console industry as a whole is dropping.

I'm sure there will be another Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Smash, Donkey Kong and Pikmin game announced in the future!!

Okay...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Switch will sell than 3DS though. I don't see how it could grown from 3DS without serious western support.

I dont really know what you are arguing about - no one knows how Switch will perform in the longrun and what type of refreshes and system versions Nintendo will odder down the line.

So lets say i agree and say that Switch will sell less than 3DS...whats the point ? The Xbox One also wont sell as much as the 3DS, doesnt mean 3rdPartys cant make money on it.

Seems like something that'd fit well for a Pre-Release Switch Direct to show off more games and features in depth like what they did for the Wii U.

LordRaptor

Every single comment we hear from them about third parties, they've said before. Every single debate about third parties I see on NeoGAF has happened before.

But the landscape is different.
I mean, I don't see why arguments shouldn't be revisited unless the market remains the same, but todays market is very different today than it was 3 years ago, and is vastly different to how it was 6 years ago.

You have Activision being hit with big lay offs despite exceeding earnings forecasts, literally because they are preparing for worse times ahead.
You have Ubisoft being circled by a predatory hostile takeover bid.
You have EA doing well, but those gains were offset by a big loss in TF2.

I mean, its not like Western third parties are rolling in so much cash that they're automatically going to tell Nintendo to go fuck themselves.

dolabla

They're really going through with that dumbass smart phone app idea, aren't they. Stupid. I don't own a smart phone (I've never owned one) nor do I plan on getting one anytime soon.

opricnik

Banned
I honestly don't see Tekken making over. Both 3DS title and Wii U title released on same year i think and both did terrible numbers. Though Marvel maybe plausible if Disney doesnt block the idea.

Asd202

I dont really know what you are arguing about - no one knows how Switch will perform in the longrun and what type of refreshes and system versions Nintendo will odder down the line.

So lets say i agree and say that Switch will sell less than 3DS...whats the point ? The Xbox One also wont sell as much as the 3DS, doesnt mean 3rdPartys cant make money on it.

It means less support and less games that's my point.

Neoxon

But the landscape is different.
I mean, I don't see why arguments shouldn't be revisited unless the market remains the same, but todays market is very different today than it was 3 years ago, and is vastly different to how it was 6 years ago.

You have Activision being hit with big lay offs despite exceeding earnings forecasts, literally because they are preparing for worse times ahead.
You have Ubisoft being circled by a predatory hostile takeover bid.
You have EA doing well, but those gains were offset by a big loss in TF2.

I mean, its not like Western third parties are rolling in so much cash that they're automatically going to tell Nintendo to go fuck themselves.
But you could twist that argument the other way, too. Said third parties may be bracing themselves for smaller profits that they can't afford to stretch themselves thin by offering significant support for a platform that they have no idea about how successful it'll be in the long-run.

Nibel

Interesting interview. I expect some 3DS/Switch cross-announcements with them shoving the advantages of the Switch version in your face, starting with Fire Emblem Warriors

Neoxon

I'm sure there will be another Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Smash, Donkey Kong and Pikmin game announced in the future!!
I don't see the problem with that. In fact, I'd be shocked if we don't get Smash 4 Deluxe this year.

Crayon

There is nothing so far seen on switch that is going to fuck up potential (big budget) third party support. Yet is seems like such a distant dream. Feels like anything can happen.

NolbertoS

B-but some Gaffer told me I was in denial thinking the Switch was the successor to both the Wii U and 3DS!

I think somebody mistranslated kimishima and took his 3DS successor literally on a new portable other than Switch. Koizumi contradicting Kimishima means that rhe Switch is really the 3DS successor unofficially, but Nintendo won't pull the plug until 1-2 years after Switch launch like they did the GBA to DS launch

Situation with Wii U was different, but of course certain people still hold the narrative that devs are saying same things with these consoles...

People have been very careful with their words when speaking about Switch, apart from people who openly laughed at Wii U. They actually said pretty good things.

I just don't understand... And then there's the usual "it won't have any meaningful games" as in games that that person prefers. Maybe try to broaden your horizon, bud?

Top Bottom