• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kojima Station] Metal Gear Solid V: E3 Sneak Peek - June 5, 2014, 8 AM (EDT)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
A trailer has been confirmed for E3. (It will be over five minutes long!) The gameplay is press-only for now.

Wait, the trailer is only 5 minutes long? :/

Edit: Just saw the episode. They said a little over 5 minutes, dang.

Palpable

I'd love to see the trailer at MS's conference and a gameplay demo at Sony's.

Not gonna happen. They've already said it will be shown on June 10th. MS & Sony's conferences are on the 9th. Besides, with how hard Kojima was imploring fans to get Ground Zeroes for PS4, I'd be surprised if Kojima went on the MS stage for MGSV.

小島秀夫 ‏@Kojima_Hideo:
Watch Diamond Dogs?
BpbwzFbCQAAnT38.jpg

HIDEO_KOJIMA ‏@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN:
Yes, see you there! “@geoffkeighley: @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN Looking forward to seeing you on Monday for E3!”

Wait, the trailer is only 5 minutes long? :/

Edit: Just saw the episode. They said a little over 5 minutes, dang.

To be honest, I'm OK with it. Though my hype was through the roof and I enjoyed it just as much, Ground Zeroes was almost entirely spoiled through trailers and demonstrations. If they're looking to keep things fresh for the player, then I've got no problem with them holding themselves back a bit!

Not gonna happen. They've already said it will be shown on June 10th. MS & Sony's conferences are on the 9th. Besides, with how hard Kojima was imploring fans to get Ground Zeroes for PS4, I'd be surprised if Kojima went on the MS stage for MGSV.

That really doesn't play a part in anything, to be honest. For example, a few days after that comparison, a one-on-one interview between Kojima-san and Major Nelson was featured on Xbox's official site. Also, he was imploring his Japanese audience to do so, as a lot of the quotes came out to hype the PS4's release in Japan. Either way, I'd put my money on a trailer appearing at Sony's conference.
Nintendo, pls

Palpable

That really doesn't play a part in anything, to be honest. For example, a few days after that comparison, a one-on-one interview between Kojima-san and Major Nelson was featured on Xbox's official site. Also, he was imploring his Japanese audience to do so, as a lot of the quotes came out to hype the PS4's release in Japan. Either way, I'd put my money on a trailer appearing at Sony's conference.
Nintendo, pls

I doubt it man. As much as I'd love to see Kojima at the Sony conference, I can't say he'd really be doing anything there other than to show his trailer which was already said to be showing the next day. (This is Patriot, from Twitch and Twitter, btw)

Kaz made this freaking face when he saw MGSV TPP E3 trailer during his VO session.

For practicing MGSV TPP gameplay presentation for E3, showed to our team member to see their reaction. Played by Tan.

I also invited Kaz to watch the gameplay preview after his VO session. Kaz seems shocked again. ha ha, thank you.

Farewell Sausage :(

Sn4ke_911

小島秀夫 ‏@Kojima_Hideo:
Watch Diamond Dogs?

Yes, see you there! “@geoffkeighley: @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN Looking forward to seeing you on Monday for E3!”

To be honest, I'm OK with it. Though my hype was through the roof and I enjoyed it just as much, Ground Zeroes was almost entirely spoiled through trailers and demonstrations. If they're looking to keep things fresh for the player, then I've got no problem with them holding themselves back a bit!

teaser of the e3 poster?

Yeah if you think that way it's probably for the best and a 5 minutes trailer will be one of the longer E3 trailers anyway. but the real bummer is the gameplay demo is 30 minutes (FUCK YES) ........behind closed doors (FUCK NO)

I doubt it man. As much as I'd love to see Kojima at the Sony conference, I can't say he'd really be doing anything there other than to show his trailer which was already said to be showing the next day. (This is Patriot, from Twitch and Twitter, btw)

Ah, hey Patriot! I hear you. Sony is probably going to have a packed schedule, and I don't think they would have five (plus) minutes to set aside for a trailer of a game we've been seeing for over a year (almost two) now. If nothing else, yes, we will get the trailer on Tuesday. A digital Konami presentation hasn't been confirmed, but Gametrailers did mention it as a likely place we would see some new Metal Gear footage... We'll see!

Farewell Sausage :(

RIP in Peace, Sausage.
:-(

teaser of the e3 poster?

Yeah if you think that way it's probably for the best and a 5 minutes trailer will be one of the longer E3 trailers anyway. but the real bummer is the gameplay demo is 30 minutes (FUCK YES) ........behind closed doors (FUCK NO)

That's what I was thinking, too! Possibly just teasing in general. And yeah, I totally feel you, man. It's tough knowing that there is thirty minutes of gameplay that we may not see for quite some time. But fortunately, we live in a time where that stuff will find its way to us when the time is right. IGN, for example, is one of the many gaming press companies that will be covering Metal Gear Solid V and they have been confirmed to have interviews with members of the game's staff. I bring up IGN, because this month they started "IGN First" which is a month-long feature of an upcoming title. I think there's a good chance that Metal Gear Solid V will be one of those titles, so don't worry. I'm sure we will get our coverage - somewhere, somehow!

doofy102

I don't care too much about seeing gameplay footage seeing as I experienced 9 hours of it myself with Ground Zeroes.

There's a good chance that the trailer will include gameplay to some degree. Maybe not as much as some of us would like, but I'm sure there will be a tiny bit at the very least. If not, oh well! I'm just ready to get some new footage. ;-)

Just saw the video.

Is this 2014? The AI looks bad.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Ground Zeroes' "Hard" difficulty provided a decent challenge, especially when an alert had been triggered. I'm sure that the game will be balanced, but it's simply too hard to judge based on three guards and thirty seconds of footage. We'll see, though!

Sn4ke_911

Uhh... aren't you wanting to know what the actual new game will be like though :p

Do people really expect TPP to be that much different from GZ gameplay wise?

It's not like they made a brand new game or something. The core mechanics will still be the same as that newly released video shows.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

It's not like they made a brand new game or something. The core mechanics will still be the same as that newly released video shows.

Are there bins to hide inside in GZ (not being snarky, genuine question)?

The core shooting mechanics will remain in-place, sure, but I would really like to get a glimpse of the base-building, cooperative play, and things of that nature. Then again, I'd be OK experiencing the game (almost) completely blind. Kojima-san's trailers are simply too enticing to stay away from. I just need a damn release date!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
There would be except you can't interact with them in gz.
There's also no cardboard boxes, horses, prosthetic arms or phantom cigars.

I thought not. I was playing last night and found a completely different access point to the admin area that I'd never seen before, so I wasn't sure if there was other stuff I'd missed.

The Devil's in the details with Metal Gear. That's when it really comes to life.

Anyone reckon the enemy AI will have the Sweep and Clear phase they had in MGS2? That was mint. Missed it in 4.

Do we know if there'll be some sort of co-op in the game or was that just a PSP thing?

He's said in interviews that there will be co-op, but he hasn't said how it will be implemented other than stating on several occasions that you will be able to build your Mother Base (customization!) and invite your friends and visit their bases, etc. As far as co-op gameplay, it's all speculation at this point, but I would guess it would be similar to Peace Walker.

Batzi

Banned

Like others said, GZ is missing a lot of gameplay mechanics that will be in TPP. The base building and recruitment system will be a core gameplay mechanic in TPP that GZ didn't have. Fulton recovery, cardboard box with its features, new radar system replacing the iDroid, possibly a codec-like device, the e-cigar that speeds time, weather & day-night cycle in real-time affecting the gameplay in many ways, Big Boss' prosthetic arm and its features, vehicles (car, jeep, motorcycle, truck), horses and possibly other means of transportations such as helicopters and robots (confirmed already), etc. TPP will be packed.

Just saw the video.

Is this 2014? The AI looks bad.

Kojima shows 30 seconds to show gamers Snake's trademark cardboard box, and the new moves associated with it and people complain about the AI allowing him to pull off those moves.

smh

Yes it's 2014, and since MGS, back in 1998, there have been several difficulties to choose from. Just pick European Extreme when you play it.

Like others said, GZ is missing a lot of gameplay mechanics that will be in TPP. The base building and recruitment system will be a core gameplay mechanic in TPP that GZ didn't have. Fulton recovery, cardboard box with its features, new radar system replacing the iDroid, possibly a codec-like device, the e-cigar that speeds time, weather & day-night cycle in real-time affecting the gameplay, vehicles (car, jeep, motorcycle, truck), horses and possibly other means of transportations such as helicopters and robots (confirmed already), etc. TPP will be packed.

To your point about the iDroid, they stated in a recent Kojima Station that it would be making a return in The Phantom Pain. (It was in response to the "Kaz talks too much" concern.)

Sn4ke_911

Like others said, GZ is missing a lot of gameplay mechanics that will be in TPP. The base building and recruitment system will be a core gameplay mechanic in TPP that GZ didn't have. Fulton recovery, cardboard box with its features, new radar system replacing the iDroid, possibly a codec-like device, the e-cigar that speeds time, weather & day-night cycle in real-time affecting the gameplay in many ways, Big Boss' prosthetic arm and its features, vehicles (car, jeep, motorcycle, truck), horses and possibly other means of transportations such as helicopters and robots (confirmed already), etc. TPP will be packed.

The core shooting mechanics will remain in-place, sure, but I would really like to get a glimpse of the base-building, cooperative play, and things of that nature. Then again, I'd be OK experiencing the game (almost) completely blind. Kojima-san's trailers are simply too enticing to stay away from. I just need a damn release date!

Yeah sure but how Snake crawls, runs, moves etc. it will all be the same as Ground Zeroes BUT TPP will add tons and tons and tons and TONS of new stuff to those core mechanics but i hope nobody expects Snake to run differently for example. That is what i meant for saying the core mechanics won't change.

Yeah sure but how Snake crawls, runs, moves etc. it will all be the same as Ground Zeroes BUT TPP will add tons and tons and tons and TONS of new stuff to those core mechanics but i hope nobody expects Snake to run differently for example. That is what i meant for saying the core mechanics won't change.

Yeah, sure, I gotcha! I wonder what you'll be able to do with Snake's new arm. Light Phantom Cigars as Zadornov did?!

Batzi

Banned

If Kojima brings back PW's MISSION PREPARATION feature where we get to choose our gears such as uniform, weapons & items to carry then expect Snake's sprinting capabilities to be affected because of the weight he puts on after choosing your gears. Keep in mind, TPP is PW 2.0.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If Kojima brings back PW's MISSION PREPARATION feature where we get to choose our gears such as uniform, weapons & items to carry then expect Snake's sprinting capabilities to be affected because of the weight he puts on after choosing your gears. Keep in mind, TPP is PW 2.0.

I don't think that was what he was getting at.

Sn4ke_911

If Kojima brings back PW's MISSION PREPARATION feature where we get to choose our gears such as uniform, weapons & items to carry then expect Snake's sprinting capabilities to be affected because of the weight he puts on after choosing your gears.

IF he brings that feature back then yeah, but do you really think his running animation would change? or just slow him down? anyway it's pretty pointless to speculate about all that stuff for now, let's just wait and see.

Keep in mind, TPP is PW 2.0.

Pssh don't say that too loud, plenty of PW haters around :p

Toa TAK

Banned
IF he brings that feature back then yeah, but do you really think his running animation would change? or just slow him down? anyway it's pretty pointless to speculate about all that stuff for now, let's just wait and see.

Pssh don't say that too loud, plenty of PW haters around :p

Why did people hate PW?

Ateron

I'm liking everything so far. This game will be amazing no doubt.
The only thing I don't know if I like that much is the fact that snake can only carry 3 weapons. I know they're striving for some realism and that translates into the number of weaponry you can carry (carrying 3 weapons is already too much) but I think that removes a bit of the experimentation these games always had going.

I can always drop my sniper rifle and pick up a rocket launcher, but then I would have to remember where I dropped it and backtrack to pick it up (or try to find a new one, but if mine was customized it would suck to lose it). For instance, I've always loved using handguns as offensive weapons. Since I can only carry one and I always go for stealth, no kill type of gameplay, I would never drop my tranq gun. I would only use the 45. in case of an alert phase. I don't particularly like the fact that I have to discard my unique tranq gun just to use other firearms. I didn't like it in PW and I don't like it here.

I would never rely on weaponry such as the nikita on previous metal gears, but it was an awesome weapon for trolling purposes. If this game has an equivalent I would never carry it with me as it would negate me the use of a proper rocket launcher/sniper rifle, even though I would if there was no weapon limit. I think this goes a bit against the open world/sandbox theme. I get that they're trying to "force" us to explore for weapons and don't rely heavily on one specific weapon or another, it's all more "use and throw away" but I don't like it so much.

I love the new cqc move where you steal an enemy weapon and use it against them, but as soon as you stop aiming, the weapon is dropped, even if I wanna keep it. They should add a second prompt where you can steal AND keep the weapon on the fly (if you want it), instead of stealing handgun -> dropping it -> standing on it and swap.

Other than this complaint everything seems gold. Can't wait to see more. Haven't been this excited since Snake Eater.

I don't know, man! Snake runs at full speed with a rocket launcher on his back in Ground Zeroes. I do expect loadout changes and changing of the outfits in some sort of mission prep.!

Sn4ke_911

IGN please..... my heart

2014-06-0618_15_48-e36kph5.png

YOU CAN'T STREAM MGSV BECAUSE IT WILL BE BEHIND CLOSED DOORS!

:(

He's said in interviews that there will be co-op, but he hasn't said how it will be implemented other than stating on several occasions that you will be able to build your Mother Base (customization!) and invite your friends and visit their bases, etc. As far as co-op gameplay, it's all speculation at this point, but I would guess it would be similar to Peace Walker.

This is something I hope for the most with TPP. It was awesome tackling missions in Peace Walker with an organized group of friends.

wanders

Last I heard was that you are able to make co op missions on the fly via iDroid or connected device. An example was that you can make a race to whoever reaches a certain point on the map while riding a horse.

This is something I hope for the most with TPP. It was awesome tackling missions in Peace Walker with an organized group of friends.

Yeah! I loved the co-op in Peace Walker. It reminded me of an admittedly less-stealthy Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, in a way. Had an excellent experience on both PSP and home console.

Last I heard was that you are able to make co op missions on the fly via iDroid or connected device. An example was that you can make a race to whoever reaches a certain point on the map while riding a horse.

Yeah! He's teased things like that so often that it drives me nuts not being able to see it in action. MGSV is certainly ambitious, if nothing else.

Top Bottom