• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kojima Station] Metal Gear Solid V: E3 Sneak Peek - June 5, 2014, 8 AM (EDT)

Pinktaco

He's said in interviews that there will be co-op, but he hasn't said how it will be implemented other than stating on several occasions that you will be able to build your Mother Base (customization!) and invite your friends and visit their bases, etc. As far as co-op gameplay, it's all speculation at this point, but I would guess it would be similar to Peace Walker.

Awesome. I'm currently playing PW with a friend and it's brilliant

Batzi

Banned
To each his own. I thought PW was one of the best games of last generation and it is the game I spent the most amount of time playing, passing the 90 hours of playtime in the first playthrough. The game is the most engaging in the series and a lot of fun to play specially with friends.
This is something I hope for the most with TPP. It was awesome tackling missions in Peace Walker with an organized group of friends.

Couldn't agree more!

Awesome. I'm currently playing PW with a friend and it's brilliant

Yeah! It's a hell of a lot of fun. While I believe Peace Walker's story is the weakest of the mainline Metal Gear games, its gameplay is excellent and quite possibly the best in the series. It's really hard to recommend PSP over HD or HD over PSP, because depending on who you ask, either version is the way it's meant to be played. In any event, I found it to be a superb experience.

Spaghetti

so we're at the stage where 1 mins 30 seconds of gameplay have generated a 7 minute analysis video?

the trailer cannot come soon enough.

although the analysis did point out a few things i missed

edit: ahhhh, so the cardboard box being outfitted with camouflage helps reduce detection. that's probably why the guard just walked past it later in the demo rather than investigating.

so we're at the stage where 1 mins 30 seconds of gameplay have generated a 7 minute analysis video?

the trailer cannot come soon enough.

although the analysis did point out a few things i missed

Ha! Yeah, right? I don't care that I've already watched this dozens of times, viewing with a different perspective is always a good thing and you can always learn something new by doing so. ;-)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Interesting. In the Project Ogre screenshot he doesn't have the prosthetic arm yet.

Project_Ogre.jpeg

original

MGSV-GZ-Screen-Game-Informer-16.jpg

I also wonder when we will see this beautiful jungle setting. Hhnnngg

116250d1324478541-project-ogre-kojima-ncfoxengine.jpg

Interesting. In the Project Ogre screenshot he doesn't have the prosthetic arm yet.

Project_Ogre.jpeg

original

You know, I've wondered this myself. He said that he's had this story planned out way ahead of time and he knew exactly how he wanted it to go, so it's a bit odd that the prosthetic arm wasn't visible in early presentations. Then again, remember that back then, he couldn't admit that Project Ogre was MGSV and maybe he didn't want to reveal the prosthetic arm until he was ready in the GDC trailer. Who knows? But yeah! Alongside these images you've shown, the many things we've been teased in the Fox engine shots include the child soldier and the dog -- do we play as that child soldier (ala Peace Walker character selection)? Is the dog our companion? I think both are certainly possibilities.

JayEH

Project_Ogre.jpeg

original

I remember there being a video of Kojima showing a child soldier running in a jungle for Project Ogre. I wonder if that will make it in the final game.

oldboss

its gameplay is excellent and quite possibly the best in the series.

I'll have to disagree. With 70% of the previous CQC gone, AI vision reduced to MGS1 level, and crawling flat out scrapped ... I have trouble understanding how and why some consider it to be the best gameplay in the series? Look at what we had in MGS3 and MGS4!

I am very well aware that the gameplay had to be adapted, to some extent, to a portable console due to its technical limitations, but to this day I really regret PW happening. It has IMO negatively influenced GZ (and possibly TPP, but who knows what they are changing/will change?) gameplay wise. Seriously, if that hold-up doesn't get nerfed somehow, or at the very least brought back to what it's always been, I don't want Kojima to utter the words stealth simulation ever again. This was by far (I think?) the worst aspect in PW and has, only god knows why, made it into GZ. It destroys immersion and makes the game boring and uninteresting.

And that's coming from a 15 years long MGS fan.

Would you be so kind and tell me what aspects of PW's gameplay appeal to you more than the technical gameplay we have been blessed with before? I am interested in knowing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I just watched the new GT Time episode and Damiani thinks the reason why the new MGSV trailer is only 5 minutes long is because one of the big pressers (Sony or MS) said to Kojima "look last trailer was a bit too long, cut it down a bit". So maybe we will see the trailer before June 10th at either Sony or Microsoft's press conference.

I still hope Kojima surprises us with a longer red band trailer later online.

Edit: They also made a bet which game at the conference will have the longest trailer and everyone said Metal Gear, lol.

I'll have to disagree. With 70% of the previous CQC gone, AI vision reduced to MGS1 level, and crawling flat out scrapped ... I have trouble understanding how and why some consider it to be the best gameplay in the series? Look at what we had in MGS3 and MGS4!

I am very well aware that the gameplay had to be adapted, to some extent, to a portable console due to its technical limitations, but to this day I really regret PW happening. It has IMO negatively influenced GZ (and possibly TPP, but who knows what they are changing/will change?) gameplay wise. Seriously, if that hold-up doesn't get nerfed somehow, or at the very least brought back to what it's always been, I don't want Kojima to utter the words stealth simulation ever again. This was by far (I think?) the worst aspect in PW and has, only god knows why, made it into GZ. It destroys immersion and makes the game boring and uninteresting.

And that's coming from a 15 years long MGS fan.

Would you be so kind and tell me what aspects of PW's gameplay appeal to you more than the technical gameplay we have been blessed with before? I am interested in knowing.

How the hell did you ever survive fifteen years? :p

Yeah, I totally get all of that -- everything you said, totally understand. I don't want to short-change you with my answer, so please don't feel that I am: the co-op. The co-op play makes Peace Walker. If any other Metal Gear title had co-op, I would be saying the same thing about that game that I am Peace Walker. I am a Metal Gear fanboy through and through; I love them all, to clarify. Peace Walker's gunplay is quite accessible to anyone, much like MGS4, so from a mechanics standpoint, that's mostly what I'm referring to. Yeah, the AI is weak and it's easy to overdo the hold-ups, but honestly, because I found it so much fun to play with others, I really didn't care about that kind of stuff, nor do I really think about it much when I'm playing. It's just good fun to me, so I'm kind of looking at it through my Peace Walker-colored glasses. So, yeah, it's a combination of co-op gameplay and the shooting mechanics that wins me over. (And of course, base building is something I loved about Peace Walker.)

I just watched the new GT Time episode and Damiani thinks the reason why the new MGSV trailer is only 5 minutes long is because one of the big pressers (Sony or MS) said to Kojima "look last trailer was a bit too long, cut it down a bit". So maybe we will see the trailer before June 10th at either Sony or Microsoft's press conference.

I still hope Kojima surprises us with a longer red band trailer later online.

Edit: They also made a bet which game at the conference will have the longest trailer and everyone said Metal Gear, lol.

Ha! Yeah, I'm sure that it will appear at the Sony conference. Metal Gear always makes its way into one of the big conferences, so why should this year be any different? We'll probably receive a shortened version of the trailer at the conference and the full trailer June 10. :) I would be shocked if we didn't see it Monday.

SDJGreen

Banned
This MGS hype made me go back and play around with Ground Zeroes some more.
People say it's short, but it's just so fun to PLAY.

The controls and mechanics are so much more fluid than they've ever been. Just spent 2 hours sneaking around the base killing everyone, destroying all the AA guns, trucks and saving all the prisoners. To the point where I could run freely around the base making as much noise as I wanted with nobody alive to respond - It's so great to be able to do that.

So much fun to be able to be more predatory this time around. Getting to the high points in the area and loudly sniping guards and watching them all scramble trying to find Snake.

I can't wait to be able to put all of this into play on a massive scale in TPP. Being able to plan exactly how I get into an area and how to tackle it - non-lethally and stealthy, or killing everyone in sight; loud or quietly. Just so many options. I really don't think any game has come close to offering what TPP is.

oldboss

Yeah, I totally get all of that -- everything you said, totally understand. I don't want to short-change you with my answer, so please don't feel that I am: the co-op. The co-op play makes Peace Walker. If any other Metal Gear title had co-op, I would be saying the same thing about that game that I am Peace Walker. I am a Metal Gear fanboy through and through; I love them all, to clarify. Peace Walker's gunplay is quite accessible to anyone, much like MGS4, so from a mechanics standpoint, that's mostly what I'm referring to. Yeah, the AI is weak and it's easy to overdo the hold-ups, but honestly, because I found it so much fun to play with others, I really didn't care about that kind of stuff, nor do I really think about it much when I'm playing. It's just good fun to me, so I'm kind of looking at it through my Peace Walker-colored glasses. So, yeah, it's a combination of co-op gameplay and the shooting mechanics that wins me over. (And of course, base building is something I loved about Peace Walker.)

To each his own, I realize that too! I guess that, from that standpoint, PW is indeed very fun to play when it comes to coop. Stealthing around with a buddy in the MGS universe is really exciting and interesting, and I hope that part makes it to TPP.

I'd also like to clarify : Although I think PW is by far the weakest (canonical) game in the series, I still enjoyed it as a handheld game. Maybe that's why I'm not as upset by its gameplay as by the influence it had on GZ... I expected at least the MGS4 level complexity CQC wise! While I really enjoy GZ, much about it doesn't feel "numbered MGS" tier to me. It appears to be less polished, and I hope they prove me wrong in a few days.

Shin-Ra

I found the stealthy container exit more impressive than the box-pop.

iUM7dkeprmusC.gif

It's quick enough to not be annoying, but looks believably quiet.

Alxjn

What's with the strap hanging from his belt? If that is suppose to be a tail they're going a little overboard with the devil imagery. I mean, I guess the horn is pretty cheesy too.

To each his own, I realize that too! I guess that, from that standpoint, PW is indeed very fun to play when it comes to coop. Stealthing around with a buddy in the MGS universe is really exciting and interesting, and I hope that part makes it to TPP.

I'd also like to clarify : Although I think PW is by far the weakest (canonical) game in the series, I still enjoyed it as a handheld game. Maybe that's why I'm not as upset by its gameplay as by the influence it had on GZ... I expected at least the MGS4 level complexity CQC wise! While I really enjoy GZ, much about it doesn't feel "numbered MGS" tier to me. It appears to be less polished, and I hope they prove me wrong in a few days.

For sure, man! I definitely feel that.

As far as MGSV is concerned, I think they have shown plenty of polish thus far. From what we saw in the small bit of gameplay yesterday, the pop-in appears to have been fixed (at least from what we saw), the textures (ground, in particular) look polished and the scope itself, obviously is insane. While Ground Zeroes was missing that MGS "magic" (to a certain extent, anyway), I still feel that it was a solid title and has the best gameplay in the series, which is promising for The Phantom Pain. We'll have to wait and see what they have to show off at E3, but I have no worries or doubts and am sure that this game will live up to Metal Gear standards!

iUM7dkeprmusC.gif

Love that animation.

Chico is Big Boss, now?

2449530-9619524911-i3Sac.gif

Zambatoh

I wonder if there is a post-game unlockable where the cardboard box becomes a birthday cake w/ BB shouting "SURPRISE!"

Seriously, if that hold-up doesn't get nerfed somehow, or at the very least brought back to what it's always been, I don't want Kojima to utter the words stealth simulation ever again. This was by far (I think?) the worst aspect in PW and has, only god knows why, made it into GZ. It destroys immersion and makes the game boring and uninteresting.
You're right on with this. They openly acknowledge it at the end of the gameplay segment in the english show, there's no way they don't know how much of a problem it is. Level design can mitigate it to some extent, but I'm quite worried about it still being present. I'd love to know their rationale for it.

The only thing I really hope they might do is add a few more CQC moves, that said I LOVED how it worked in GZ, it was a bit simplified and a bit similar to PW but overall I really liked the depth and being able to seamlessly move from strikes to a hold or throw or a SICK looking disarm.

The only thing that really bothered me was how the alert system was slightly different, but even then the whole package of GZ was a taster of a much larger game, and just from the videos and what Kojima has said, I can see how TPP will have even more depth.

If it plays like I am imagining it and so far, my hunches have mostly been correct...It'll be the top MGS title for me of all time especially if the story and presentation is up to par(the few cutscenes that GZ had were...amazing I just wanted more of them).

For me GZ pretty much surpassed every single title in the series outside of MGS3(which will always be my favorite aside from MGS1 and MG2), and being one of the people that HATED PW I didn't mind them kind of incorporating a PW like CQC system(I love the multi-cqc which they took from PW), and I look forward to seeing how they do the Base Management since it will be more than just a screen with stats in TPP.

As for the whole Hold Up issue...ehhh, I don't know I'm really mixed on it on one hand I hope they just kind of hybridize it with the old way of doing it(perhaps they get back up after a set amount of time, and then radio in for back-up or a caution phase or both) with the new way. Who knows I think they probably have even more AI behaviors that we haven't seen yet.

Overall, I'm really super hyped at what TPP might be and I can hardly wait to play it. When I played through GZ I was stunned, and when I realized what it meant for TPP my mind was blown.

Pretty much how I feel, and I imagine Kojima as Ocelot running away all giddy-like, just like Ocelot did in that one sequence from MGS4.

Here have one.

phantomcigar4.jpg

As a cigar smoker, the darkest looking ones seem the most appetizing to me... probably a Habano wrapper with a delicious Nicaraguan filler(Hopefully Ligero!). Then again that's because I prefer stronger, full bodied and full flavored cigars.

iUM7dkeprmusC.gif

Yeah I love the animation for getting out the dumpster, it does seem remarkably similar to MGS4 but hey, MGS4s animations were pretty great...at least for Solid Snake.

Skullface

I'm very happy to say that this is my first post on Neogaf. I've been lurking since the Moby Dick trailer and have never been so hyped for a game. I've come to love this community since then and I'm very pleased to be able to take part.

Also, I'd like to share one of the more ridiculous theories about MGSV that I had the misfortune of stumbling across. It's by an over zealous fan who posted it on another forum:

"Spitballing ideas this morning I thought this up. Bear with me if it sounds insane (or if it's been suggested before) but it seems just convoluted enough for Kojima to try and sneak by us.

The one theory I haven't heard yet relates to one of the most glaring parts of the trailer. The Music. Specifically the song Not Your Kind of People by Garbage. At first I thought it was just a rad song. But then I started wondering:
Isn't Boss based off the character James Bond?
Isn't the song Snake Eater a direct Bond movie reference?!
Didn't Garbage do a theme song for a James Bond movie?!!

Turns out they did. They did the theme song for The World Is Not Enough.

The title alone for a reference to the themes of MGS is perfect. Until you read the plot synopsis..:

James Bond uncovers a nuclear plot when he protects an oil heiress from her former kidnapper, an international terrorist who can't feel pain.

Could Kojima have chosen the music specifically for this super cryptic hint? It totally fits his way of thinking. Any thoughts?"

I'm very happy to say that this is my first post on Neogaf. I've been lurking since the Moby Dick trailer and have never been so hyped for a game. I've come to love this community since then and I'm very pleased to be able to take part.

Also, I'd like to share one of the more ridiculous theories about MGSV that I had the misfortune of stumbling across. It's by an over zealous fan who posted it on another forum:

"Spitballing ideas this morning I thought this up. Bear with me if it sounds insane (or if it's been suggested before) but it seems just convoluted enough for Kojima to try and sneak by us.

The one theory I haven't heard yet relates to one of the most glaring parts of the trailer. The Music. Specifically the song Not Your Kind of People by Garbage. At first I thought it was just a rad song. But then I started wondering:
Isn't Boss based off the character James Bond?
Isn't the song Snake Eater a direct Bond movie reference?!
Didn't Garbage do a theme song for a James Bond movie?!!

Turns out they did. They did the theme song for The World Is Not Enough.

The title alone for a reference to the themes of MGS is perfect. Until you read the plot synopsis..:

James Bond uncovers a nuclear plot when he protects an oil heiress from her former kidnapper, an international terrorist who can't feel pain.

Could Kojima have chosen the music specifically for this super cryptic hint? It totally fits his way of thinking. Any thoughts?"

Welcome! I've been a longtime lurker of Neogaf and I only recently joined(and was approved) welcome to the community and one of my favorite places on the internet.

Furthermore, the bolded makes me think about MG1/2 from the MSX days what with Dr.Madnar and OILIX(Madnar invented OILIX to eliminate the world's dependency on fossil fuels, thus solving the energy crisis), and of course Solid Snake.

The fact that Big Boss supposedly goes Bad in this, further makes me think that maybe this is an MG1/2 remake and prequel(remember when Troy Baker talked about the scope of the game?) which would definitely make it a huge game. Perhaps we don't play as Solid, but instead we play as Big Boss and see everything from his perspective, feel him become numb to the point that he doesn't feel pain anymore, perhaps he even descends into madness. He also builds a Nuclear capable bipedal tank, and a nation of soldiers(Outer Heaven) trying to recover all that was lost to him, all for revenge against Zero and Skullface.

Welcome to the trip, man!
Sorry, I don't know what I could add to the theory, but certainly interesting... if nothing else!

Does anyone have the link to the analysis

Analysis of cardboard box gameplay? There's an analysis from YongYea (Metal Gear fan) here: Metal Gear Solid V - Cardboard Box Gameplay Analysis!

Please neogaffer, tell me that cardbox is Psycho Mantis disguise.

Hey, man, it certainly could be!!

Thanx man:)

Don't mention it! :)

Few more details
Falcon recovery system spotted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnP6hDXbflo

Thank you! I was just in the process of posting this. Gameplay is from the English Kojima Station presentation, to note, and differs just slightly from the footage aired in the Japanese show!

Does this mean we will get to see the 30 minute gameplay demonstration? Or will IGN just get a chance to have a hands on with the game themselves?

It's scheduled to premiere on Thursday at 5:20 PM (PDT)! The footage of the games that air on Tuesday and Wednesday at 5:20 PM (on those days) have twenty minutes of the schedule dedicated to their coverage, so my guess is that we will see about twenty minutes of The Phantom Pain coverage come Thursday!

Palpable

I'm sorry, but YongYeah's videos piss me off. Hos voice is beyond annoying and he just reiterates what we already know. Not to mention he has taken credit for theories that are not his own.

All this MGSV hype has gotten me to grow my MGS collection. This all I've got as of a month ago (minus figs). My girlfriend has since gotten me the GZ premium pack and some play arts kai figures.

D66727FE-5BF6-4435-BBBA-B125E57493E2_zpsldt60mmr.jpg

I've also been going nuts with GZ lately. I play through the main mission at least once a day.

861CE374-F34C-4082-A117-21B786D61A57_zpsgzsc8tc4.jpg

I'm looking forward to this new trailer. It'll no doubt be awesome, but them saying it'll be shown on the 10th is odd. Not during a Konami conference (they stopped their pre-E3 show for whatever reason) nor during MS (thank goodness) or Sony's. I'm going to the theater in my city for the Sony conference, it'd be epic if the TPP trailer was shown then.

Solidino

HIDEO_KOJIMA @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN:
At E3, there's more free features to introduce other than "free cardboard box"! Stay tuned!

in 5 minutes he'll show us all TPP, just like GZ.
After 3 days on neogaf we'll know brand new theories.

Psycho Mantis is Liquid Snake
Eli is Peace
Big Boss is Gray Fox (ops...)
Skull Face is Vulcan Raven
Chico is Solid Snake
The Fire Unicorn is the mother of The Boss
Ishmael is Naomi Hunter

LowParry

-sigh- Am I going to need to give into GZ? I feel as if I'm going to be seeing things I shouldn't to be spoil free when they show off TPP.

Top Bottom