• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima was too expensive apparently

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The real info here is that Kojima doesn't get paid based on game profits, which means when you buy MGSV, you are supporting Konami 100%.

Awesome.

Perhaps, but If Kojima joins either Rockstar of Naughty Dog, I think they will allow Kojima to do whatever he wants, regardless of cost.

No way would he fit in ND , they make games in 2 to 3 years time and are a very efficient studio.
ND gets a blank check but they get things done and both UC3 and TLOU sold more than MGS4 i think.

e-gamer

After all that time they were still "cutting corners by lowering foliage resolution"?

I don't think it's the case.

They spent so much time in development that we get a generation transition in the process. Lack of business vision indeed.

Also they launched a "demo (aka MGS Ground Zeroes) just to make cash.

Boke1879

Naughty Dog are a pretty efficient studio, they put out games regularly and uncharted 2&3 budget are surprisingly not that big compare to other AAA games out there.

Kojima will totally not fit in ND culture.

It's possible both are sticklers for attention to detail. I just think Kojima is too big for them if that makes any sense.

Hmm. You reckon ground zeroes was Kojima's compromise? Then by the time it was delayed as far as September Konami just nopped out of there?

If the game has as much content as they've been boasting, they'll be wishing they could sell it for far more than usual RRP if the money issue is this big

cackhyena

Yeah, but it really shouldn't have been done. Silent Hills would have pulled in fans of Silent Hill, Metal Gear/Kojima, del Toro, Walking Dead/Reedus, so on. Seems like a silly idea to throw that away, if they plan to remain in games - which they do given they have begun hiring for the next Metal Gear series.

I think the addition of those other players might have scared them off. You have a guy racking up huge costs on this one property, only to move him over to another to start all over again, and throw other big personalities in the mix to be payed as well? Does SH have the ability to make back that kind of money? I dunno.

Sounds like Del Toro and him want to do something else together anyway, so you'll get some collaboration down the line, regardless. Maybe.

BadWolf

Kojima is one thing, what about Kojima Productions? I'm glad HK makes bank, but what about the other commrades we've lost?

Iirc various key members are leaving with him and the rest of KojiPro will remain at Konami, dispersed among other teams.

It's generally been my working theory that after the somewhat meager sales of Ground Zeroes, Konami decided it was time to cut funding and ship a product.

Didn't it sell rather well for a paid demo?

Konami exec: "Kojima why aren't you shitting out this game?"
Kojima: "I want it to be the best product imaginable."
Konami exec:
1325795244_angry_face.gif

iLLmAtlc

Not surprised. MGS3 wrapped up in 2004 and they've shipped one full game since then. They poured all that money into the fox engine for last gen development and it wasn't ready till current gen arrived.

Boke1879

While there is a lot of content in there the whole thing surrounding it I think turned a lot of people off. People viewed it as a paid demo. I think it sold as best it could.

GZ was Konami trying to get some free money I think. It's no doubt GZ should have been the prologue right before TPP.

Oneself

It probably started a while ago but went out of control around the time they canned MGS Rising and started over with another dev while working on the Fox Engine etc.
Kojima Productions most have been really expensive to support. It's also not surprising to see a demo like Ground MGS:GZ getting sold at a high price to pay the bills...

The real info here is that Kojima doesn't get paid based on game profits, which means when you buy MGSV, you are supporting Konami 100%.

Awesome.
Maybe not Kojima himself, but we don't know about everyone else in Kojima Productions.
Not to mention the fact that no one wouldn't want the thing they worked hard on to not sell so... not buying the game based on "principle" is still stupid tbh
AND now we know (assuming this is true) that Konami isn't just firing Kojima because they hate him or whatever people thought was the case, but for a legitimate (kind of arguable, but you get the point) reason.

Tenzan

Banned
Not surprised. MGS3 wrapped up in 2004 and they've shipped one full game since then. They poured all that money into the fox engine for last gen development and it wasn't ready till current gen arrived.

Yeah but the fox engine looks great on ps4 so that worked out no? It works on last and current gen systems well

border

Point is, the big AAA devs mostly have started using their own engines and I can't blame Kojima for
doing the same at that point in time a few years ago.

AAA publishers fund their own engines, and share technology with all their development teams.

Kojima is a AAA developer working for a B-list publisher though. Even in 2008-2010 there was nothing to indicate that Konami was every going to become an Ubisoft or an Electronic Arts. I'm sure he used them as examples to sell management on the idea of making a whole new engine, but do you really need a new engine if you aren't producing much more than a yearly sports franchise and a biannual-at-best horror game? It may have been an idea that management accepted and was complicit in to be sure, but since he's managing the project Kojima will get the blame when the budget goes out of control.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If true, it makes sense and Konami is totally in their rights to fire him.

Doesn't rxcuse the supposed mistreatment of KojiPro as a whole, though.

DevilFox

Called it, if confirmed. The studio in LA, Kiefer, Ground Zeroes and the crazy amount of merchandise like they were desperately trying to make cash out of something before the release, new engine from scratch, cross gen, full mocap studio, crazy marketing...
Konami did the right thing for what I care, I for one wouldn't like to throw my money here and there because a guy is either arrogant or just incapable of using a budget for whatever reason, which is probably just another one of his tasks.
They still remains dicks for what they did with covers etc but I totally understand their decision now, even more considering that their focus will shift from AAA if I'm not wrong.

Neoxon

Seeing as Kojima seems like a perfectionist, this wouldn't surprise. It's still a shame that the falling-out occurred.

Maxim726X

why? kojima wants to release a great polished game, and konami would've been ok with rushing it out of the gate. god forbid an artist wanting his creation to be the best!

This isn't fantasy land.

Konami just can't give him millions of dollars and let him squander it, then delay the product release, etc.

They actually need to make money on their investment. Clearly, his bullshit wasn't worth it anymore. If it was, he'd likely still be there. Not really hard to figure out.

And I'll ask for a third time- Does anyone know how much MGS4 actually made after development costs/marketing?

Neiteio

Fuck Konami, but if true, I understand why they fired him and I'm not surprised by the outcome. That's wasteful and unprofessional, esteemed artist or not.
This. I suspected Kojima wasn't guilt-free in all of this, and while this rumor is unconfirmed, I wouldn't be surprised if hubris played a role in it.

cackhyena

I look at all that Puma shit, all the statues and toys and clothing and think, why couldn't it just be about the game? Why does it have to go so fucking overboard?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This isn't fantasy land.

Konami just can't give him millions of dollars and let him squander it, then delay the product release, etc.

They actually need to make money on their investment. Clearly, his bullshit wasn't worth it anymore. If it was, he'd likely still be there. Not really hard to figure out.

And I'll ask for a third time- Does anyone know how much MGS4 actually made after development costs/marketing?

people like to act that he made the game all by him self :)

Lunar15

Why is anyone surprised, this is absolutely the reason they got rid of him.

I mean, whether or not you think that's the right choice or morally dubious is subjective, but it should not be a surprise that Kojima was indulgent.

Silent Hills definitely factors into this in some capacity, the source only mentions Metal Gear, but I gotta imagine Kojima simultaneously leading another massive investment was making Konami a little uneasy.

Doesn't fully answer your question but here:
http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=3028
MGS4 was the best-selling third-party PS3 exclusive with 5.67 million copies sold worldwide.
EDIT:
According to the wiki:
On May 21, 2014, Ryan Payton, a former employee of Kojima Productions who worked on Metal Gear Solid 4, stated that the game has sold 6 million copies.

border

Most of Ground Zeroes sales' were after discounts had been applied (~6 months after launch), but I think it crawled to 1 million units as of last November.

Whether that's good or bad is hard to say, but I think Konami took it as an indication that they could not count on Phantom Pain to be a GTA-sized megahit.

People have really short memories, so it's probably worth reminding everyone that not even the smashing success of Bioshock Infinite could prevent Irrational Games from being shuttered. You may think that Kojima has a license to print money and a golden IP, but so did Ken Levine.

5-6 year development times like BI and MGS5 have suffered can kill even studios that appear to be successful. Only games like Grand Theft Auto can really afford to spend that long being made, and Metal Gear is no GTA.

It's generally been my working theory that after the somewhat meager sales of Ground Zeroes, Konami decided it was time to cut funding and ship a product.

That may be true, but I also suspect Ground Zeroes only exists as a standalone product in the first place because Konami demanded that KojiPro find some way to generate revenue from the project by the end of the 2013/2014 fiscal year.

Tenzan

Banned
Last gen is dead and Konami hardly makes AAA games to take advantage of there custom engine.

I make my statement because mgs v tpp does come out on last gen systems so it will pull revenue from there, PES is the only other game using the engine but other teams within the company can use it also. Suikoden would work with the engine and PT was going to use it also

Top Bottom