• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima was too expensive apparently

border

A few things. I'd ASSUME that the Multiplayer / Online stuff probably was a request from Konami, not Kojima himself. I'm just guessing here, but I'd think that Kojima would be perfectly happy not doing Multiplayer, but instead just focus on the Single Player and the stories he writes. I'd guess that Multiplayer was something Konami thought would add tremendous value to the value proposition of MGS4. We'll probably never know, but I'd think that this wasn't necessarily a Kojima decision.

Metal Gear has had online multiplayer since MGS3, IIRC. It's never once caught on in any substantial fashion. At this point you'd think both Konami and Kojima would get the hint that this stuff is neither necessary nor wanted. I have my doubts that Konami really wanted to start up a completely new studio in LA for the sole purpose of developing Metal Gear Online. That seems overly extravagant to me, particularly in an era when management was choosing to farm out every other franchise to 3rd parties (Silent Hill, Castlevania).

It ties into metal gear repeatedly. The two series' plots are very heavily linked, and continue to be linked in modern metal gear games.
There are nods to it, certainly, some of them very direct but snatcher is its own thing.

Same with policenauts, too. kojima loves doing stuff like that. But neither game is a metal gear in any way.

So what about all the other non-Kojima franchises that Konami's thrown to the back-burner? Please. Kojima may have his price, but it's been clear for a while now that Konami's not exactly interested in making actual games all together.

Boke1879

So since he has stopped wanting to make MGS lol?

Remember. He didn't even want to make MGS4 and it showed. I love it but that game is a damn mess.

Surprisingly he seemed to be having fun with MGSV. Kinda reminds me of the fun he had with MGS2

Loakum

Banned
whatever Kojima gonna do next, I think we'll have to accept that he's not going to have nearly the same freedom in term of budget ever again...

Perhaps, but If Kojima joins either Rockstar of Naughty Dog, I think they will allow Kojima to do whatever he wants, regardless of cost.

Krejlooc

Banned
There are nods to it, certainly, some of them very direct but snatcher is its own thing.

Same with policenauts, too. kojima loves doing stuff like that. But neither game is a metal gear in any way.

Policenauts is not part of the series

But snatcher has more than "nods." Important plot points between the two series are consistent and referenced.

One of the main characters in Metal Gear Solid V is one of the most important characters in Snatcher. And the work he does in MGSV (and Metal Gear Rising) leads to what he does in Snatcher.

cackhyena

Remember. He didn't even want to make MGS4 and it showed. I love it but that game is a damn mess.

Surprisingly he seemed to be having fun with MGSV. Kinda reminds me of the fun he had with MGS2

I would be having a hell of a time as well if I could toss away material I didn't care for at the expense of someone else. I'm glad he gets to go out like this, because game play wise, it seems like the best MGS. Going out with a bang, I guess.

border

Come on now, a lot of big devs use their own proprietary engine to realise the vision of their games now.

FrostBite, AnvilNext, CryEngine, RAGE etc. It's not crazy that Kojima wanted an engine that would work for an open world and had the bonus of being used in other franchises like PES.

Publishers like Electronic Arts fund those engines because they frequently release games (as in 1-2 every month) and over time it's less expensive than licensing. Konami's output is almost nothing in comparison. You actually have to make a lot of games if you want to amortize/offset the costs of developing a custom engine.

Boke1879

I don't know how many times I was shut down on GAF for saying exactly what the OP details.

I don't think that's the whole truth at all though. Mind you this is coming from someone who hasn't composed since MGS3. Again we all knew Kojima and Konami had issues even before this game.

Lightning

Banned
Konami didn't like the movement Kojima was heading in so they took action. Fair enough, it was their money he used to make those games.

But Konami will make their money anyway, they don't need Kojima or MGS.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly hate this idea that artistic vision requires a completely uncompromising attitude. I feel like there are always little things that most won't notice that can easily be cut down on. I feel like a totally uncompromising attitude is more for the creator's ego than the fans

I agree with this.

I mean, who the fuck really cares about foliage textures beyond the folks that frequent Digital Foundry threads?

Kojima is a creator while Konami is pure business. People (in Konami's case, investors and such) like that always tend to clash.

It's no surprise that the Metal Gear games are so well received, since they're made with love, with a surprisingly huge attention to detail that is so rare to have in games nowadays that has become one of Kojima's trademarks.

In both Kojima's and a creative person's POV, this is worth it, because you're materializing your vision, you want everything to be perfect and as close as possible to the image you have in your head. For a creative person, fidelity to that idea is one of the most important things to have, no matter how much time you need to achieve it.

For a business, you're "stuck", not advancing to complete a product and, in a business' POV, you're wasting time and resources in something that most people won't see or won't care about. Businesses have a lower threshold of how much time and resources can a feature or product have dedicated to it, and it's way, way lower than a creative person would like to have. Obviously, Konami knows that Kojima's attention to detail is a huge part of what Metal Gear is, but even then, since he's getting paid by the time and still spending resources, it's obvious that they would want it to be ready as soon as possible.

Policenauts is not part of the series

But snatcher has more than "nods." Important plot points between the two series are consistent and referenced.

One of the main characters in Metal Gear Solid V is one of the most important characters in Snatcher. And the work he does in MGSV (and Metal Gear Rising) leads to what he does in Snatcher.

i guess youre being serious.

Go check the snatcher timeline of events. None of it adds up compared to the Metal Gear timeline. Kojima just likes to make nods to his other games and reusing names and such. That's why Meryl is in Policenauts, for example.

But i digress. Kojima should be making smaller projects like Snatcher and Policenauts from here on out. It suits his narrative-heavy focus much better and at a fraction of the cost

Ryan_MSF

Personally, I'm taking any publicly given reason not coming from Kojima/Konami as to the reason for Kojima and Kojima Productions dismissal with a grain of salt. Too much "He said, she said" type stuff coming out, and while it could be true it could also be false. I dislike people talking trash against Kojima and Konami (Yes, even Konami, despite how shitty they've been lately in regards to other things) without knowing the the truth and facts.

At this point, I just hope that Phantom Pain is everything that's been promised and winds up as a glorious send off to one of my favorite gaming franchises ever.

Thank you for saying everything I wanted to say in a far more eloquent way than I could achieve haha.

Well no shit. Guy's a perfectionist.

Speaking of no shit. Everyone is a perfectionist, when you are given a huuge budget and total creative control.

Do you know all those other devs who aren't perfectionists? In most cases, It's because they have limits in their budgets.

SRG01

Part of that reasoning doesn't make sense. Aren't commissioned works paid for regardless of whether or not they're used? Does Konami expect people to work for free?

Krejlooc

Banned
i guess youre being serious.

Go check the snatcher timeline of events. None of it adds up compared to the Metal Gear timeline. Kojima just likes to make nods to his other games and reusing names and such. That's why Meryl is in Policenauts, for example.

But i digress.

The actual metal gear timeline doesn't make sense anymore, either. Kojima retcons the date pretty regularly with the series.

But when Snatcher was first made, the timeline fit without problem, and they continue to make new connections between the series.

Hell, they actually refer to the plots of Metal Gear in Snatcher.

Shinigami

I'm not surprised, really, though I still feel weird that Kojima is no longer attached to the project. Like, what is Metal Gear without Kojima? I guess only the future will tell.

cackhyena

They clearly have no interest in gaming. If they did, they WOULD need him. Tbh

Well, yeah. Their bread is buttered elsewhere nowadays. I never did buy them doing what they did out of spite. I mean, maybe there's a little of that. But as a business decision if this is all true, it just sounds like what should be done at the end of the day.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I honestly hate this idea that artistic vision requires a completely uncompromising attitude. I feel like there are always little things that most won't notice that can easily be cut down on. I feel like a totally uncompromising attitude is more for the creator's ego than the fans

The fan wankery about him being an amazing artist must have gotten to his head.

skelekey

This basically confirms to me that every MGS will be shit going forward. I hope the sound didn't suffer too much for this final hurrah.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Makes me actually sympathise with Konami.

why? kojima wants to release a great polished game, and konami would've been ok with rushing it out of the gate. god forbid an artist wanting his creation to be the best!

RiverBed

Banned
Not surprising. Kojima is bloated. And that is not the kind of professional I would want to invest in or work with.
Fuck Konami, but if true, I understand why they fired him and I'm not surprised by the outcome. That's wasteful and unprofessional, esteemed artist or not.

That is a contradicting statement.

As much as i like Kojima you can't run a business that way .
And MGS games are not huge sellers that taking 5 years to make one makes sense.

Publishers like Electronic Arts fund those engines because they frequently release games (as in 1-2 every month) and over time it's less expensive than licensing. Konami's output is almost nothing in comparison. You actually have to make a lot of games if you want to amortize/offset the costs of developing a custom engine.

Maybe when Konami started making FoxEngine in 2010, they had plans for it to be used across multiple franchises like MGS, Silent Hills and PES and maybe new IP.

Who knows.

Point is, the big AAA devs mostly have started using their own engines and I can't blame Kojima for
doing the same at that point in time a few years ago.

Tenzan

Banned
why? kojima wants to release a great polished game, and konami would've been ok with rushing it out of the gate. god forbid an artist wanting his creation to be the best!

Basically konami would release lords of shadow 2 quality of games with every mgs release if they could

Perhaps, but If Kojima joins either Rockstar of Naughty Dog, I think they will allow Kojima to do whatever he wants, regardless of cost.

Naughty Dog are a pretty efficient studio, they put out games regularly and uncharted 2&3 budget are surprisingly not that big compare to other AAA games out there.

Kojima will totally not fit in ND culture.

cackhyena

Not surprising. Kojima is bloated. And that is not the kind of professional I would want to invest in or work with.

That is a contradicting statement.

I'd still say fuck Konami for shitting the bed with so many good properties over the years. In this instance, they made the right call, though...if this is all true.

Well, yeah. Their bread is buttered elsewhere nowadays. I never did buy them doing what they did out of spite. I mean, maybe there's a little of that. But as a business decision if this is all true, it just sounds like what should be done at the end of the day.

Yeah, but it really shouldn't have been done. Silent Hills would have pulled in fans of Silent Hill, Metal Gear/Kojima, del Toro, Walking Dead/Reedus, so on. Seems like a silly idea to throw that away, if they plan to remain in games - which they do given they have begun hiring for the next Metal Gear series.

Pompadour

Yeah, but you don't spend everything in the world to do it, especially on a series that's becoming more and more niche. MGS isn't as popular as when the MGS2 E3 trailer was released and that's all anyone talked about in videogaming for months.

border

People have really short memories, so it's probably worth reminding everyone that not even the smashing success of Bioshock Infinite could prevent Irrational Games from being shuttered. You may think that Kojima has a license to print money and a golden IP, but so did Ken Levine.

5-6 year development times like BI and MGS5 have suffered can kill even studios that appear to be successful. Only games like Grand Theft Auto can really afford to spend that long being made, and Metal Gear is no GTA.

It's generally been my working theory that after the somewhat meager sales of Ground Zeroes, Konami decided it was time to cut funding and ship a product.

Top Bottom