• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's new CEO: Mobile is the future of gaming, is Konami's main platform

Situacao

Right now, the biggest PC games are these:

League of Legends
DotA 2
CS:GO
World of Tanks
World of Warcraft (by revenue, at least)

Four of these have no console ports at all, and the other has a port that almost nobody cares about because the game needs a mouse/keyboard for competitive precision.

Among the other most popular games are Elder Scrolls (yes, on console) Hearthstone (no), Farmville (no), and StarCraft 2 (no). Personal favorites for me -- while sometimes far less popular overall -- include Natural Selection 2 (no), Dwarf Fortress (no), Eve Online (no) and Hearthstone (again, no). To reemphasize, I'm not saying there is no overlap at all, but the notion that PC and console are basically the same while console and mobile are totally different isn't a very informed opinion. High end PCs are more complex and technically powerful and their default input method provides far more buttons and more precision. It doesn't mean you have to prefer PCs -- I'm totally fine if you prefer consoles, they are definitely simpler and more convenient -- but there is a real difference.

I see what you mean, but aren't those games tailored to the kind of person that has a lot of time available, just like the Street Fighter's, LoU's and Forza's of the console landscape? That's the point I was trying to make... That mobile games aren't made for us "hardcore" (and I use that term loosely, just in a sense that the "hardcore" crowd devote a lot of time per session), but instead for the "casual".

Opiate

I see what you mean, but aren't those games tailored to the kind of person that has a lot of time available,

Yes, generally they are for hardcore players who invest deeply in games they play.

just like the Street Fighter's, LoU's and Forza's of the console landscape? That's the point I was trying to make... That mobile games aren't made for us "hardcore" (and I use that term loosely, just in a sense that the "hardcore" crowd devote a lot of time per session), but instead for the "casual".

Based on your preferences in your (admittedly short) post history, I probably consider you a casual, frankly. I don't mean that a disparaging term as others, do, but I think of consoles (and particularly AAA console games) as mostly casual: they offer convenience and simplicity (or, as you put it, don't require you to invest tons of time), which is totally fine and not something I think is a problem, but it's casual.

Mobile games generally require even less time and are better suited for people who are even more casual. Do you not want to spend 100 hours really getting the hang of a game like DotA2? No problem, consoles offer games you can really master in 20 hours or so. Don't want to spend 20 hours really getting the hang of a game? No problem, mobile has games you can master in an hour or two.

Felessan

But for a lot of people that stuff in games is a huge part of what's enjoyable about the overall experience: the environments, the narrative, the secondary gameplay mechanics...
If there is a market for such features - they will be added eventually. It's just a mobile game space is relatively young and some features are yet to be included. It was the same for PC/video games - Doom also had "narrative" in a text file, still a good game.
Even if looking into this f2p space that everyone hates. They are progressing. Terra battle put emphasis on story, Shiro Neko have both global story (and even many events have their own story) and each character's stories. New mobile FF have outstanding image quality for f2p title.
Because market for simple farm/town building and puzzle solving becomes saturated and companies seeks a way to increase attractiveness of their products by adding secondary features that was excessive and really unnecessary before.

Opiate

Any chance Konami will sell their IPs so we can continue to have those series?

We probably will continue to have those series regardless. If you mean specifically on consoles, then historically that has not been common. In the sense that pigs fly, sure, it's possible.

I see what you mean, but aren't those games tailored to the kind of person that has a lot of time available, just like the Street Fighter's, LoU's and Forza's of the console landscape? That's the point I was trying to make... That mobile games aren't made for us "hardcore" (and I use that term loosely, just in a sense that the "hardcore" crowd devote a lot of time per session), but instead for the "casual".
There are mobile games that cater to the hardcore/less causal crowd. Like PC gaming, it's a diverse platform

Situacao

Yes, generally they are for hardcore players who invest deeply in games they play.

Based on your preferences in your (admittedly short) post history, I consider you a casual, frankly. I don't mean that a disparaging term as others, do, but I think of consoles (and particularly AAA console games) as mostly casual: they offer convenience and simplicity (or, as you put it, don't require you to invest tons of time), which is totally fine and not something I think is a problem.

Mobile games generally require even less time and are better suited for people who are even more casual. Do you not want to spend 100 hours really getting the hang of a game like DotA2? No problem, consoles offer games you can really master in 20 hours or so. Don't want to spend 20 hours really getting the hang of a game? No problem, mobile has games you can master in an hour or two.

I don't post a lot on gaf, admittedly :)

But I see what you mean. Our divergences seem to be based on the landscape that we're used to play. I draw the line on that "even less time" that you talked about, even though I think that I don't need 1 hour or two to get accustomed with mobile game. I think that the majority of PC and console games are designed to absorb and retain the player for too much time in one sitting to be on the same league of mobile games. But, if you think differently, that's fine too.

They can't make the midrange budget games that would be profitable for them, so it's either mobile, or compete with 250 million dollar GTAV's. They don't want any part of that. Most of the traditional Japanese developers are struggling with this, Capcom, Bandia/Namco, Sega, Square Enix, only Nintendo seems to be able to make the games that they want and still compete.

Other than F2P mobile titles, I hope that Konami will have the guts to make a "traditional" game title on mobile that is comparable to indie efforts. I mean Unity5 and Unreal Engine 4 can be used. If those traditional mobile games are successful, they could port them digitally to consoles/PC with updated graphics, controls, and added content. However, who am I kidding? They will just bring out Pay-to-win F2P mobile titles.

Other than F2P mobile titles, I hope that Konami will have the guts to make a "traditional" game title on mobile that is comparable to indie efforts. I mean Unity5 and Unreal Engine 4 can be used. If those traditional mobile games are successful, they could port them digitally to consoles/PC with updated graphics, controls, and added content. However, who am I kidding? They will just bring out Pay-to-win F2P mobile titles.
Rodeo's Warhammer 40k game is going to the first mobile game using Unreal Engine 4
003_BaseR.jpg
So it's entirely possible. But sadly unlikely. I don't see Konami doing that.

Red Mage

We probably will continue to have those series regardless. If you mean specifically on consoles, then historically that has not been common. In the sense that pigs fly, sure, it's possible.

I wish they'd sell Suikoden. They're not using that one, and haven't for years.

Man, this whole situation with Konami reads like some kind of joke post.

"Hey, did you know that Kojima won't be with Konami anymore after MGSV and that Silent Hills will be cancelled and that they're going to go all mobile?"

If you went back in time like, seven months and said something like that, can you imagine how much of a laugh that would warrant?

And yet look where we are now. :(

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Look at what More_Badass has posted. You may not personally like those games -- that's fine -- but that's different than "there are no good games."

I think you are confusing your personal preferences with objective reality. I want to emphasize that it's okay to be elitist, as long as you are consistent. Let's say you volunteer 10 hours a week to help the homeless, and you have a friend who never volunteers to help anyone. If we hold all other variables equal, here (humans are complex, I know), is it okay to feel like a better person than he is? Well, possibly. But if you do that, then you also have to accept that someone who volunteers for 20 hours is even better than you are. What you don't get to do is look down with a haughty eyebrow on your 0 volunteer hours friend then turn around and complain when the 20-hours guy looks down on you.

But what's being mourned here isn't the upcoming mobile space - it's the death of a portion of the console\PC market that's chasing the mobile one.

It's a similar sentiment to, i don't know, being bummed that Martin is dedicating his time to the TV show and isn't finishing his books.

Additionally, the set of limitations of the mobile market is, in most cases, actually one of attention span: In nigh all successful mobile games, like old handhelds before them, the expectation of on-the-fly 'bite-sized' playing, with minimal information carry-on between sessions, and extremely short sessions - a medium not conductive to narrative of any type, as it's been demonstrated by the market itself in the last five years.

Also, to date, did we have any mobile game ported to consoles due to it's success?

Additionally, the set of limitations of the mobile market is, in most cases, actually one of attention span: In nigh all successful mobile games, like old handhelds before them, the expectation of on-the-fly 'bite-sized' playing, with minimal information carry-on between sessions, and extremely short sessions - a medium not conductive to narrative of any type, as it's been demonstrated by the market itself in the last five years.
To put it bluntly in a politically incorrect fashion, mobile gaming is "ADD/ADHD gaming".

But what's being mourned here isn't the upcoming mobile space - it's the death of a portion of the consolePC market that's chasing the mobile one.

It's a similar sentiment to, i don't know, being bummed that Martin is dedicating his time to the TV show and isn't finishing his books.

Also, to date, did we have any mobile game ported to consoles due to it's success?
Threes is on Xbox One; Jet Car Stunts is on PS4/Xbox One. Badland is coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U. Kung Fu Rabbit and Forgotten Memories are on the eShop/coming to Wii U respectively. Submerged is releasing on mobile and PS4/Xbox One. Calvino Noir, a noir-esque heist game, is coming to mobile and Steam. Nihilumbra, Warhammer Quest, Tiny Thief, Hero of Many, Out There, and others are on Steam

Also a lot of the successful premium mobile games - The Room series, Device 6, Year Walk, Monument Valley, Sorcery series/80 Days, etc. - are narrative-focused experiences definitely not suited for short minute-long play sessions

SliChillax

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

It's like a horrible April fools joke.

DrLazy

Does Sega Japan make console games anymore?

Only thing I can think of is Yakuza. Atlus makes games. But Sega?

They're not coming to E3. Sonic and Monkeyball are mobile franchises now. All new franchises are on mobile.

CamHostage

...a lot of the successful premium mobile games - The Room series, Device 6, Year Walk, Monument Valley, Sorcery series/80 Days, etc. - are narrative-focused experiences definitely not suited for short minute-long play sessions

But that is not what Konami is chasing in its move to Mobile. Their success stories are Star Wars Force Collection and Dragon Collection and the F2P Powerful Pro Baseball. They are not planning on making Metal Gear VI on an iPhone. If something is good, then great, but in the mobile market, that's rarely the metric that makes you the most money.

Game makers will continue to make interesting games on any platform that's put in front of them, but publishers make product, and the market dictates what products move, not the game makers.

I totally agree that Mobile has great potential for fun and enthralling gaming, but if we use your list of games of mobile greats, we can see that it will probably no longer be be traditional publishers who bring those experiences to us gamers. And if we look at the ridiculous profit margins of King or Rovio or companies like these that Konami and other publishers are chasing, it's hard to fault their choice even if it is bitterly sickening to watch.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Angry Birds and Plants vs Zombies. I dont know if PvZ started on PC but its still is a very popular mobile game.

Peggle 1 and 2...again I believe they started on PC first tho. I think Puzzle n Dragons Mario Bros Edition counts. If we are including handhelds. Which puts all this in a grey area anyway since the Vita and 3DS have touch screens. And Sony at one time had a separate mobile games section, that could be accessed on the Vita and many played fine.

I think Sony did away with the mobile games section. Thats probably funny because I dont think many ppl even knew this....(ppl with a Vita probably did) they dabbled in it, it didnt work like they expected and they got out. They didnt totally jump ship to mobile tho...I think thats whats making many upset here. If it woulda took off? Who knows. I wish Konami good luck on whatever they have to do to make profits tho.

But that is not what Konami is chasing in its move to Mobile. Their success stories are Star Wars Force Collection and Dragon Collection and the F2P Powerful Pro Baseball. They are not planning on making Metal Gear VI on an iPhone. If something is good, then great, but in the mobile market, that's rarely the metric that makes you the most money.

Game makers will continue to make interesting games on any platform that's put in front of them, but publishers make product, and the market dictates what products move, not the game makers.
To be fair, he said "all successful mobile games". What's successful for a big publisher isn't the same metric as what's successful for an indie dev. Monument Valley made about 5x its budget in revenue (little over $1 million to make, earned $5.8 million). The Room 1 & 2 had 5.5 million sales combined. Of course premium games aren't going to make as much as the F2P games, but to say they aren't successful would be wrong and to say all successful mobile games are little bite-sized games with no narrative or whatnot would also be wrong

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

I take it that they're going to keep these franchises that nobody wants on mobile and put them on mobile. Makes sense. RIP Castlevania, RIP MGS, RIP Silent Hill.

Opiate's being kind of intellectually dishonest in saying that console games are inherently simpler than PC games. Certain genres (RTS, FPS) operate a lot better on PC and at a higher complexity than on console obviously, but this is due to the nature of the control schemes. But no-one would argue that say, fighting games, or even character action games, aren't as sophisticated as these other games - it's just that the different control scheme on arcade/console allows a different kind of complexity.

The problem I see with mobile is that the control scheme is really, really limited. There will be genres that are unique to the mobile form, that take advantage of its few advantages. But these are going to be very limited, and the great bulk of games that exist on consoles simply cannot translate meaningfully to a standard mobile interface. Yes, those add-on peripherals and the like exist, but there are lots of issues with that (standardisation is obviously a big one) and as long as they remain uncommon they're not really worth discussing. I think we'll see in a few years that a few narrow genres will be huge on mobile, but a lot of the traditional experiences won't be replicated at a level that most people would find satisfying.

Any chance Konami will sell their IPs so we can continue to have those series?

I really doubt it, selling them that is.
Though Konami won't be making big games out of them, they know those IPs have value.

Maybe if we're lucky, instead of them being simply relegated to mobile tie-ins, Konami will put in a slight bit of effort/cooperation.
As in, interested, independent team wishes to use Konami IP for already funded game. Konami agrees on the basis of some sort of royalty.

Is this appealing to Konami? I think so, collect money from doing nothing.
Is this appealing to developers, paying money to use an IP they won't own? Probably not.
Fingers crossed one or two studios care enough to do that so we get something out of it otherwise you're better off paying for Bloodstained and forgetting about Konami.

Opiate's being kind of intellectually dishonest in saying that console games are inherently simpler than PC games. Certain genres (RTS, FPS) operate a lot better on PC and at a higher complexity than on console obviously, but this is due to the nature of the control schemes. But no-one would argue that say, fighting games, or even character action games, aren't as sophisticated as these other games - it's just that the different control scheme on arcade/console allows a different kind of complexity.

The problem I see with mobile is that the control scheme is really, really limited. There will be genres that are unique to the mobile form, that take advantage of its few advantages. But these are going to be very limited, and the great bulk of games that exist on consoles simply cannot translate meaningfully to a standard mobile interface. Yes, those add-on peripherals and the like exist, but there are lots of issues with that (standardisation is obviously a big one) and as long as they remain uncommon they're not really worth discussing. I think we'll see in a few years that a few narrow genres will be huge on mobile, but a lot of the traditional experiences won't be replicated at a level that most people would find satisfying.

While on that subject, what genres do you guys think can transition to mobile without problem? I see RPGs and puzzle games working.

While on that subject, what genres do you guys think can transition to mobile without problem? I see RPGs and puzzle games working.
Turn based strategy, roguelikes, and tactical games work well (The Banner Saga, Frozen Synapse, 868-Hack, Door Kickers)
Adventure games, point & clicks, and interactive fiction (The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, The Last Express)
Isometric RPGs, CRPGs, certain sims (Prison Architect, Baldurs Gate, King of Dragon Pass, Legend of Grimrock)
Games with more tactile mechanics like Papers Please and SpaceChem

Yeah, I think this is what it's going to come down - what experiences can be translated effectively.

I think anything that doesn't need much control fidelity should be ok. Anything where controls matter a lot, I don't see a viable translation.

Well to be fair we have been complaining about how Silent Hill isn't scary anymore, so.

I'll take my Downpour, warts and all, over what we're likely to get from this series on down the road.

i'm hoping Konami will sell off the Suikoden, Vandal Hearts and Azure Dreams IP.

I don't see them selling Bomberman as much as I wish they would

Macrotus

Not sure what language this is in, but from the domain, it seems to be Italian?
If it is, can anyone who can understand Italian briefly explain what this article says?

http://www.vg247.it/2015/05/15/kona...edits-di-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/

I heard its about a journalist confirming he saw Kojima Hideos name credited in MGS5 via twitter, but Konami told the journalist to delete his tweet. But since I can't understand Italian, I dunno if thats the case.

They're not coming to E3. Sonic and Monkeyball are mobile franchises now. All new franchises are on mobile.

Atlus (Persona, SMT, EO etc)
Yakuza series
Miku franchise
Phantasy Star
Total War
Shining series
Virtua Fighter (rumours of a new instalment iirc)
Whatever team Valkyria/SW/SoA is doing..

i'm hoping Konami will sell off the Suikoden, Vandal Hearts and Azure Dreams IP.

I don't see them selling Bomberman as much as I wish they would

More like:

"Hey, now that we're mobile lets use all these IPs people have been asking about for years!!"

They can make Bomberman a freemium game easily with the powerups and levels you can buy.

Adventure Island? freemium

And God help us, SoTN type game where you pay to level up faster and buy weapons instead of grinding for them.

sörine

Banned

Yakuza, Miku, Puyo Puyo and Sonic. That's basically it for regular series.

They also outsource stuff like Shining, Phantasy Star or M2's retro reissues still as well.

Top Bottom