• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's new CEO: Mobile is the future of gaming, is Konami's main platform

Kuni

Gutting to read with the effects that focus is having. I do wonder on the longevity of the current mobile industry. I think (hope?) people will eventually get tired of the heavy microtransaction timer based games and then.... I don't know :p

Maximus.

I want to propose the possibility that they were always about the money, but your personal tastes just happened to be the market they were focusing on.

My proposition is this: when Konami was making tons of console games, they absolutely were focused on the money, but you didn't notice that so much because you happened to personally like their output. Now you don't like their output, so you are much more likely to view their motives cynically.

Conversely, someone who hates console gaming but loves mobile gaming may experience the opposite phenomenon, where Konami seemed like a stupid company before (if they had heard of them at all), but who are now finally listening to what he, as a customer, actually wants.

You are absolutely correct. I know and realize these companies are in it for the money and business and yes before their output matched my expectations and what I wanted.

Jessmo111

Banned
They can't make the midrange budget games that would be profitable for them, so it's either mobile, or compete with 250 million dollar GTAV's. They don't want any part of that. Most of the traditional Japanese developers are struggling with this, Capcom, Bandia/Namco, Sega, Square Enix, only Nintendo seems to be able to make the games that they want and still compete.

I wish Nintendo would pull its head from its 4th point of contact. And get agressive with buying companies and IPs. The will likely be the console savior in japan.
Also how hard can it be for the next system to plug into android, and Google play store? Problem solved. Now I can play boom beach on my wiiu 2 pad on the can. Capcom, Konami,namco, sega, and square should be stalked by Nintendo.

Impala26

Sorry it took me so long.

SilentVille.jpg

Glorious.

The worst part? Konami execs are probably getting ideas from this... :-/

Terrell

I wish Nintendo would pull its head from its 4th point of contact. And get agressive with buying companies and IPs. The will likely be the console savior in japan.
Also how hard can it be for the next system to plug into android, and Google play store? Problem solved. Now I can play boom beach on my wiiu 2 pad on the can. Capcom, Konami,namco, sega, and square should be stalked by Nintendo.

Who's to say they aren't? The problem mostly lies with 3 things:

1) Developers who have been beaten around by publishers are founding independent studios and leveraging their successes for contract partnerships (see: Platinum) and resisting outright control of their operations.

2) Relying on Kickstarter to forge their own success in the indie scene, hoping to leverage the strength of the mobile market with their namesake.

3) Most publishers are growing into other markets and that protects their games businesses, their employees and their IPs from acquisition.

But at the rate that the Japanese gaming business is going, Nintendo and Sony will be the last Japanese game publishers standing.

So the IPs are there to be taken in theory, but the talent that made them great has become fragmented across the country there and current IP holders outside of Capcom are too protected for an outright buyout without a lot of red tape to cut out only the parts of the business that Nintendo or Sony would want.

That's not to say it can't happen, it's just a very messy proposition.

The weaker these companies and their IP value get, the more likely we will see some movement in that regard.

But the talent... well, aside from Monolith Soft and a handful of others, buying up those independent contract companies for the talent to leverage any purchased IPs (or to create new ones) will involve a lot more money than it would have when the industry and all of its players were primarily focused on the business of just making video games.

Not to say it's impossible, and I've made the case that it's something for Nintendo to consider even without the IP from the major publishers, but it's a huge financial risk and whoever moves first will spook the others into action, with each of them making plays to control Japan's industry in totality.

If the first move is going to be made, it's going to be against Capcom, who is the least protected of all of the Japanese game publishers and has the largest catalog of desired IPs other than Sega.

LowParry

If the first move is going to be made, it's going to be against Capcom, who is the least protected of all of the Japanese game publishers.

That draws the question of, if it ever happens which I doubt, who will be the more aggressor. Sony or Nintendo? My bet is on Sony. But I highly highly doubt Nintendo is in any state of mind of buying IPs. They're starting to swim in the iOS ocean.

Terrell

That draws the question of, if it ever happens which I doubt, who will be the more aggressor. Sony or Nintendo? My bet is on Sony. But I highly highly doubt Nintendo is in any state of mind of buying IPs. They're starting to swim in the iOS ocean.

That's why the next 5-10 years are going to be interesting. If someone makes a move, the other can't stand idly by, it forces action, because neither of them want to see the entire Japanese industry (and/or its heritage IPs) controlled by their competitor.

My guess would be Nintendo actually would be the first mover and the more aggressive of the two, so long as the timing and market conditions are right.
Between them and Sony, Nintendo seems like the one who is the most invested in the health and success of their nation's gaming industry (something close to 90% of their SPD developed games from 3rd-parties are developed by studios in Japan), while Sony invests a significantly higher amount of dollars in the Western development market, relying less and less on Japan as time moves on, even so far as relying less and less on Japanese 3rd-parties to sell their consoles, with the exception of Square Enix.

Nintendo should buy all of Japan... And America, for good measure.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Chinese news services (AFAIK?) ran it. Yay? http://www.yxdown.com/news/201505/188473.html

After running through Google translate they seem to reference some existing Silent Hill trilogy on mobile over there. Obviously could be nothing, but anybody know anything about it?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think people need to put a line in the sand and make a distinction here. SE and Capcom and Namco Bandai may lean on mobile now more than ever before, but they still have respect for their legacy businesses atleast and make an effort, even if we personally may have certain issues with that effort.

Its a world away from Konami simply giving up entirely, taking their ball and going home

grumble

Weren't companies saying this 7-8 years ago too? PS4 sales numbers say hi Konami.

To be fair it's not that different from what some other Japanese companies have shifted focus towards, but I shudder to think of all their good IPs going mobile only. Yikes.

Who cares about ps4 sales when you can make a mobile game for a million bucks and make it back in a week? The roi in mobile done right is insane compared to aaa gaming. Puzzle and dragons made more profit than a decent chunk of popular aaa franchises put together.

Robot Pants

Hey look you guys we made it to Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/konami-could-suck-worse-sure-the-future-of-the-silent-1704942076

Our internet fame will last forever!! AHAHAHAhahahaha!!!!

Chinese news services (AFAIK?) ran it. Yay? http://www.yxdown.com/news/201505/188473.html

After running through Google translate they seem to reference some existing Silent Hill trilogy on mobile over there. Obviously could be nothing, but anybody know anything about it?
Congrats.

Haunted

I think people need to put a line in the sand and make a distinction here. SE and Capcom and Namco Bandai may lean on mobile now more than ever before, but they still have respect for their legacy businesses atleast and make an effort, even if we personally may have certain issues with that effort.

Its a world away from Konami simply giving up entirely, taking their ball and going home
They're next.

Game Guru

I think the likelihood of Nintendo or Sony buying companies depends on how well the kickstarted expies of games do... In essence, if games like Mighty No. 9, Yooka-Laylee, and Bloodstained end up being successful in their own right and parlayed into franchises, why would either Nintendo or Sony need IPs like Mega Man, Banjo-Kazooie, or Castlevania beyond legacy concerns? It is possible that companies like Konami will find that their IPs are worthless without actual quality behind them even in the mobile realm.

Also... Um, don't expect much from former Konami directors beyond IGA and Hideo Kojima that hasn't already happened. Of the developers big franchises that Konami had, most of them had already went off to do their own thing successfully before IGA did.

Famed developer Treasure is the result of the Contra and Gradius teams leaving to make their own games, which is why they end up being talented with shmups.

The Suikoden creator, Yoshitaka Murayama, also left and sadly ended up leaving the game industry. :(

The Silent Hill creator, Keiichirō Toyama, is working on Gravity Rush at this point and pretty much works for Sony at this point.

Etsunobu Ebisu, the director for Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the N64 and the basis for longtime Goemon regular Ebisumaru, founded Good-Feel and is working for Nintendo at this point.

Most of Hudson is working for Nintendo now at Nd Cube including the former president of Hudson who is currently the president of Nd Cube. Even NeoGAF noticed that.

So yeah, IGA was the last notable Konami developer to leave Konami, until Hideo Kojima, the last notable Konami developer still at Konami, leaves.

gypsygib

Damn, MGS is absolutely without a doubt my favourite game series.

This actually is almost heartbreaking. MGS is dead after 5. I was very much looking forward to a modern take on the transition to and re-introduction of young snake and the complete vilification of Big Boss.

I suppose the most approriate thing to say now is...

Snake?

Snaaaaaaaaaaaake!

But this time he's not coming back.

Terrell

I think the likelihood of Nintendo or Sony buying companies depends on how well the kickstarted expies of games do... In essence, if games like Mighty No. 9, Yooka-Laylee, and Bloodstained end up being successful in their own right and parlayed into franchises, why would either Nintendo or Sony need IPs like Mega Man, Banjo-Kazooie, or Castlevania beyond legacy concerns? It is possible that companies like Konami will find that their IPs are worthless without actual quality behind them even in the mobile realm.

It's a mighty big "if", for starters.
It also makes pretty big (and false) assumptions:

1) Inafune, Igarashi and Mayles et al have some sort of power over a franchise's themes and gameplay elements, that they are the one and only authority on what makes the IPs they laboured on great.

2) Kickstarting new franchises with base mechanics of another franchise, replicating a past success, somehow devalues an IP by prior association.

Let me start off with an example: Igarashi is not and never has been the authority on what makes Castlevania games great. There were game designers before him that made great games in the franchise. He is only an authority on "Igavania" style games. He made a very particular sub-category of titles in the Castlevania franchise and, due to him being the only one making games in the Castlevania franchise for several years, having a preference for that style and a possible unwillingness to deviate from it, people make the false assumption that his vision somehow defines Castlevania.

But if Igarashi can supposedly "re-define" what a Castlevania game is, why couldn't anyone else?

The same can be said of Inafune and Into Creates.

The IPs hold value so long as you put out a quality product that people want with the name on it... sometimes even without the quality product, people will buy on name alone, at least a few times.
And in spite of several missteps, these names do still hold weight and have value. Hell, do you think people would have bought Lords of Shadow (aka Belmont of War) if the name Castlevania didn't mean something to people and were willing to try one that Igarashi hadn't touched?

I'm not saying that having the original teams on these games is worthless, but I am saying it does not necessarily make or break an IP's value, either. In some cases, it may in fact be beneficial to let someone else take a crack at them.

The only thing potentially devaluing these IPs is that their IP holders want nothing to do with them anymore. Bomberman isn't appreciating in value with the franchise's extended absence. And if someone wants to buy them, that might be exactly what is being hoped for: that they'll get them at a low price simply because the current IP holder sees no value in them anymore and has let their perceived value depreciate due to lack of releases.

Game Guru

It's a mighty big "if", for starters.
It also makes pretty big (and false) assumptions:

1) Inafune, Igarashi and Mayles et al have some sort of power over a franchise's themes and gameplay elements, that they are the one and only authority on what makes the IPs they laboured on great.

2) Kickstarting new franchises with base mechanics of another franchise, replicating a past success, somehow devalues an IP by prior association.

Let me start off with an example: Igarashi is not and never has been the authority on what makes Castlevania games great. There were game designers before him that made great games in the franchise. He is only an authority on "Igavania" style games. He made a very particular sub-category of titles in the Castlevania franchise and, due to him being the only one making games in the Castlevania franchise for several years, having a preference for that style and a possible unwillingness to deviate from it, people make the false assumption that his vision somehow defines Castlevania.

But if Igarashi can supposedly "re-define" what a Castlevania game is, why couldn't anyone else?

The same can be said of Inafune and Into Creates.

The IPs hold value so long as you put out a quality product that people want with the name on it... sometimes even without the quality product, people will buy on name alone, at least a few times.
And in spite of several missteps, these names do still hold weight and have value. Hell, do you think people would have bought Lords of Shadow (aka Belmont of War) if the name Castlevania didn't mean something to people and were willing to try one that Igarashi hadn't touched?

I'm not saying that having the original teams on these games is worthless, but I am saying it does not necessarily make or break an IP's value, either. In some cases, it may in fact be beneficial to let someone else take a crack at them.

The only thing potentially devaluing these IPs is that their IP holders want nothing to do with them anymore. Bomberman isn't appreciating in value with the franchise's extended absence. And if someone wants to buy them, that might be exactly what is being hoped for: that they'll get them at a low price simply because the current IP holder sees no value in them anymore and has let their perceived value depreciate due to lack of releases.

Your assumptions of what I am saying is faulty. What I am saying is that IPs do not matter unless there is talent behind them, and the lack of talent to make those games are what's going to kill those franchises. MercurySteam made a great game with Lords of Shadow but it isn't like Konami's announced another Castlevania in that style or any other style, even a budget digital release. Nor has Capcom announced another Mega Man in any sort of style. Both Castlevania and Mega Man lost their top talent and are currently going unused. To use the example you give of Bomberman, the property is being mishandled because it is one of those properties that should theoretically be perfect for the F2P model. In my vision of a F2P Bomberman, you download the game and it's multiplayer Bomberman, but by purchasing outfits with real money, you can customize your Bomberman's look. It's one of the few games that could fit with the Valve Hat Model. I expected the Bomberman released on mobile last year to be exactly that, but apparently it's just a spinoff from what I hear.

In any case, it would not be a problem, but it does become one when a creator is making a game in the same genre as what they are known for while the original property languishes in limbo or mediocrity. To give a counter-example, Naughty Dog originally made the Crash Bandicoot games for PS1 and Crash was a pretty popular thing back then, even being treated as an equal to Mario and Sonic. However, once Sony lost the rights to make Crash Bandicoot games, Naughty Dog went on to make another platformer series for Sony, Jak & Daxter, and eventually shifted focus to make Uncharted and the Last of Us. However, throughout all of this, Naughty Dog kept making high quality games... Now their name on a box means that a gamer will get a high quality game no matter the name of the game. Meanwhile, Crash Bandicoot had mediocre game after mediocre game until the franchise was put to rest by Activision. Another counter-example is with Bungie as they made excellent Halo games but then moved on to make the excellent Destiny while Microsoft and 343 have mismanaged the Halo IP so far. It is this sort of mismanagement of a property compared to a creator's successful launch of a similar property that leads to games like Mighty No. 9 and Bloodstained to find success in the market while Capcom and Konami languish as companies despite having Mega Man and Castlevania which should be the bigger name.

Terrell

Your assumptions of what I am saying is faulty. What I am saying is that IPs do not matter unless there is talent behind them, and the lack of talent to make those games are what's going to kill those franchises. MercurySteam made a great game with Lords of Shadow but it isn't like Konami's announced another Castlevania in that style or any other style, even a budget digital release. Nor has Capcom announced another Mega Man in any sort of style. Both Castlevania and Mega Man lost their top talent and are currently going unused. To use the example you give of Bomberman, the property is being mishandled because it is one of those properties that should theoretically be perfect for the F2P model. In my vision of a F2P Bomberman, you download the game and it's multiplayer Bomberman, but by purchasing outfits with real money, you can customize your Bomberman's look. It's one of the few games that could fit with the Valve Hat Model. I expected the Bomberman released on mobile last year to be exactly that, but apparently it's just a spinoff from what I hear.

That's exactly what I just said in my previous post. The only thing devaluing an IP is nothing good being made for it. But here's the mistake you've made:

They lost their top talent at Capcom and Konami. Capcom and Konami have neither the desire nor the talent to keep making these games (hence farming out Mega Man to IntiCreates, though their quality in some aspects is very spotty). That means the only companies that perceive the IPs to have no value are... Capcom and Konami.

An outsider that does have the talent pool to do something with those franchises, even if it won't be a carbon copy of the previous game's designs, will obviously see things differently.

And no, no F2P Bomberman. It's the worst idea I've ever heard. Mind you, Konami can't even get a regular iOS game right, both Bomberman games I see on iOS are rated 1 to 2 stars due to game-breaking lag. And this is the company moving into mobile... why would you condemn Bomberman to such a pathetic demise?

In any case, it would not be a problem, but it does become one when a creator is making a game in the same genre as what they are known for while the original property languishes in limbo or mediocrity. To give a counter-example, Naughty Dog originally made the Crash Bandicoot games for PS1 and Crash was a pretty popular thing back then, even being treated as an equal to Mario and Sonic. However, once Sony lost the rights to make Crash Bandicoot games, Naughty Dog went on to make another platformer series for Sony, Jak & Daxter, and eventually shifted focus to make Uncharted and the Last of Us. However, throughout all of this, Naughty Dog kept making high quality games... Now their name on a box means that a gamer will get a high quality game no matter the name of the game. Meanwhile, Crash Bandicoot had mediocre game after mediocre game until the franchise was put to rest by Activision. Another counter-example is with Bungie as they made excellent Halo games but then moved on to make the excellent Destiny while Microsoft and 343 have mismanaged the Halo IP so far. It is this sort of mismanagement of a property compared to a creator's successful launch of a similar property that leads to games like Mighty No. 9 and Bloodstained to find success in the market while Capcom and Konami languish as companies despite having Mega Man and Castlevania which should be the bigger name.

All this shows is that certain companies made a certain specific mistake in thinking that an IP name alone is all that's required to sell a game. Crash Bandicoot was mismanaged by Universal and Activision. Halo was mismanaged by Microsoft. Those are stories you tell when you want to frighten people from ever considering having another development team work on a franchise. But that's not always what happens, is it?

And yes, game creators can have their own brand power in and of themselves, but that doesn't somehow invalidate the same being said about an IP, so long as there's still a quality product behind it. In fact, as you say, the only thing devaluing these franchises is no games being made by the publisher that owns them.

But if you remove them from that, you could "double up" by pairing a well-known IP with a developer known for, as you say, always delivering a quality game, and what do you think would happen? Which cancels out the other? That's right, neither. Since most of that talent works independently now, another publisher could scoop up the IP, go to that independent studio and say "remember this series you were told didn't sell well enough to make a game for it? If you want to, the offer is on the table." What gamer wouldn't be thrilled by that proposition?

Konami said:
"We will pursue mobile games aggressively," says Konami's new CEO Hayakawa in an interview with Nikkei Trendy Net.
"We will tentatively fill our pocket with consumer money via aggressive pay2win mechanics in mobile games, it's the only way to save us"

"Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."
"We will let you play winning eleven with 11 nobody, and you will have to pay to change your attacker into a REAL attacker, or if you want to use a barca's player.. additionally we might take out stuff like championship and league, gating the content over money-wall"

"We saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before."
"We've seen that if we bet on cell game, we can make more than we dare hope to make, given that we still have IP, but no senior/storical staff or new star players of the developers league to take care of it.. We are motivated to do low-budget cell games that we can hire cheap phone dev to take care of!"

"Gaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies."
"Gaming is now widespread, but cellphones are everywhere.. Hopefully we can scalp their ass off by selling low cost product with plenty of gated content"

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."
"We hope that you will buy our few console titles, to fuel our cellphone switch"

"With multiplatform games, there's really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world."
"We will rip-off via f2p titles both android and ios market, don't you worry!"

http://jin115.com/archives/52080348.html
I think my japanese got better!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Ah well the second one got downvoted into oblivion. Reddit is a tricky formula.

You win again Konami!!!

Just read the forbes piece that lifted all it's info and talking points from neogaf. So bad.

For a long while now, I’ve been one of the biggest proponent of the idea that mobile games are not killing traditional gaming. The two markets are both growing, and even if mobile is perhaps growing faster, the two seem content to co-exist with one another

yeah except it's already been public knowledge literally for ever that japanese console market is shrinking while the japanese mobile market grows exponentially. now that the flavor of the week punching bag is doing something you dont approve of , you're all paranoia and doom and gloom about gaming in general.

But if more and more companies want to stop trying to make money by selling high quality games, and try to trick people into buying cheap, addictive crap instead, that is what could ultimately doom the gaming industry.

also, uses the phrase 'diamond in the rough' completely wrong and in general is just a terrible writer who has no place speculating on the future of the games industry in general, much less the future of mobile games.

If this is the future, it’s a dystopian one I don’t want to live in

yes, kill yourself because konami is making mobile games. Who want's to live in that world? I'd rather be dead for sure.

Why did you bump this thread for a forbes contributor with whom you disagree
Might as well just say why did I post in the thread, period. Or why post in any thread at all, ever.oh no I bumped a thread that was last active a whole 7 hours ago! Lol Maybe because his article was lifted wholesale from the thread, therefore it's relevant to the topic?

Game Guru

Posting this in response to a comment in another topic.

You and I seem to be on the same page, more often than not. I think our only disagreement has been on the value of IP in that other thread. But regardless...

To be fair, I've actually reconsidered my stance on your opinion about the value of IP, except that it is already happening but the Japanese IPs aren't being bought outright. Instead, the first-parties, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, are actually funding Capcom to make exclusive games for their systems save for a few games. Dead Rising 3, exclusive to Xbox One. Street Fighter V, exclusive to PlayStation 4. Monster Hunter 4, exclusive to the 3DS. All of Capcom's games seem to now be exclusive to certain platforms save Resident Evil, Strider, and various remasters. One could say Nintendo funded Sega to make their Sonic games exclusive to Wii U and 3DS as well. Sony even funded From Software to make Bloodborne and both Nintendo and Microsoft funded Platinum Games to make exclusives. While neither developer has a dominant franchise, From and Platinum are top tier Japanese developers. The first parties aren't buying Japanese IPs and developers, they are funding them to make exclusives for their systems.

While not the best solution, having Capcom and Sega get funded to make exclusives for the console makers is at least better than Konami's "burn everything to the ground and salt the earth" strategy.

Replicant

Sony is not going to buy any IP. It'd be too expensive for them.

What may happen is that they may attract some of Konami's talent. Especially given how Silent Hill's creator, Keiichi Toyama moved from Konami to Sony Post SH1.

I'm going to use this specific post as an example of the filter being applied here, but I want to make it clear that you aren't the only one to do this, Pilgrim, nor do I think your post is particularly bad. It just highlights the lense through which most people seem to be looking, and it's that lense I want to examine.

You want a company to "give [these games] a console release" rather than "whoring [these games] out for mobile." The implication here is obvious; consoles represent quality, real gaming, while mobile is not only worse, but is just a cynical money grab.

What I want to propose is that mobile is not better or worse, it's just different, with its own strengths and weaknesses. It happens to be different in a way that doesn't fit your personal tastes, but that's different than it being inherently inferior. We don't always get what we want.

You know how many console players feel rubbed the wrong way when PC gamers act superior to console gamers, and act like games that make any concessions for a console release are somehow infected and lesser? That's how many of you sound right now. So if you don't like it when PC gamers do it to you, I suggest you try to avoid doing it back to someone else. I'm not asking you (or anyone here) to change their personal preferences, but I would like it if people didn't get so angry at others for liking things they don't like.
Mobile is just a different market, that's true, but he's right in the sense that those games weren't designed for that market. A mobile version could still be a good game, but chances are it will not offer the same kind of experience due to multiple factors (design changes, control method, screen size, sound quality, budget, etc) and would leave fans rather disappointed.

From that point of view, I can understand why a fan of any of those games would prefer a console release. A Silent Hill or MGS game on a phone screen can't provide the same kind of immersive experience. Even watching a movie on a phone just isn't the same as watching it in your living room or a cinema.

Mobile is just a different market, that's true, but he's right in the sense that those games weren't designed for that market. A mobile version could still be a good game, but chances are it will not offer the same kind of experience due to multiple factors (design changes, control method, screen size, sound quality, budget, etc) and would leave fans rather disappointed.

From that point of view, I can understand why a fan of any of those games would prefer a console release. A Silent Hill or MGS game on a phone screen can't provide the same kind of immersive experience. Even watching a movie on a phone just isn't the same as watching it in your living room or a cinema.
Why do people always assume mobile gaming means playing on a tiny phone screen?
fjwgEjS.jpg

Scrawnton

As mentioned in other threads. I am not against mobile gaming if the phone companies would take it seriously. If Apple cleaned up 99.9% of the trash on the App Store, they would have a much better gaming ecosystem on the platform.

I think Apple/Google should have a dedicated game store app (separate from the App Store) that has strict regulations for having your game posted on it. You would need to get it rated by esrb, (or other depending on region) play tested, screen for copyright infringements, etc.

This way, it is easier to find legitimate games. Apple needs to end this business where hundreds of games a week are posted and are all trash. It's embarrassing.

Mobile can be a real awesome place to play. The platform holders are just not interested in making it such a place.

Game Guru

Why do people always assume mobile gaming means playing on a tiny phone screen?
fjwgEjS.jpg

Even if I am playing on the bigass tablet, I would still have to use touch controls for the majority of games which is going to be a bit uncomfortable in the sort of configuration yours is currently in. Now, supposedly I could use a keyboard & mouse/touchpad or a game controller to play mobile games on the bigass tablet, but if I'm doing that, I may as well just play on a laptop with games designed for physical controls in mind.

There just comes a time when you're not good at what you do anymore. Happens to athletes, actors, musicians and writers all the time. Such is life.

Top Bottom