• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Five Things I Already Love About Agents Of Mayhem"

NeoRaider

Next week Volition launches Saints Row spin-off Agents of Mayhem, an open-world action adventure featuring a group of super-powered operatives battling an evil organization bent on world domination. I’ve played five hours of the game, and already there’s a lot to like.

-It’s Basically G.I. Joe Meets Overwatch

A multi-national fighting force comprised of women and men with unique powers and personalities facing off against a global terrorist organization? It’s G.I. Joe versus Cobra all over again, with some cool future tech and much more racy writing. Just look at the PS4 opening splash screen.

eukz9usvdftgqz4c7rzz.png

On the left, we’ve got some folks ready to fight for freedom wherever there is trouble, though mostly Seoul, Korea, since the game is based there. On the right, a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

On the Overwatch side of things, the agents are designed like characters in a hero shooter. Each has a signature weapon, special abilities and even an ultimate.

If you’ve ever played a multiplayer-only hero shooter and wished it had an extensive single-player campaign, this is it...

-Riding In Cars With Agents Of Mayhem

While not technically a Saints Row game (Agents of Mayhem takes place on a world spawned via a specific ending to Saints Row IV’s “Gat Out Of Hell” expansion), jacking cars is still a key mechanic in AoM. What I love is how the characters enter the vehicles they “commandeer.” That is to say, with high-tech style. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6u6crnDMgQ

What tickles the hell out of me here is that all of the agents warp into vehicles with this cool animation, but when it’s time to leave they just open the door and step out.

And the massive Hardtack is definitely shrinking to fit inside the driver’s seat...

Agents of Mayhem arrives next week on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. Look for a full review next week. In the meantime, rest assured I am enjoying myself. Have a momonga.

abxnh9y9cnjbvtcn6gto.gif

More: http://kotaku.com/five-things-i-already-love-about-agents-of-mayhem-1797729800

I really honestly can't figure out if I'm into this game or not. I loved the Saints Row games, even the latter ones, because they were great collectathons to just run around in and blow stuff up. Chasing orbs in SRIV was like a zen meditative experience when I'd hop on for an hour at night after work.

Will this scratch the same itch? I don't know. It seems like it could surprisingly be really fun or could be terrible.

Camwi

It's a shame some people are shitting on the game already for no good reason (in that other thread, anyways). I think it looks fun.

Monketron

Neo Member
You just get the impression they've picked the cartoon style to save money on making things look detailed in a big open world (similar to how Borderlands went).

The way they've done the car stuff just reinforces the fact they wanna save effort on making detailed animations too.

Fury451

Banned
I've done a pretty big 180 on this game the more info that's come out on it. Originally it looked pretty bland and uninteresting, specially because I haven't really liked the past couple Saint's games all that much, but it actually looks like it might be a lot of fun to mess around with.

The stuff I've liked about it since reveal is the "Saturday morning cartoon" stuff

What I haven't cared for is the "ahoy motherfucker" stuff which works against that vibe

I'll likely pick it up to try when it's cheaper, depending on how it's received/reviewed

This game looks like good fun. Idk why people are hating on it so much. It's got a nice look to it. The main criticism I hear is the bad jokes and punch lines.

Monketron

Neo Member
Also weird how little traction this game is getting in the media. Honestly didn't realise it was out next week. Where is the big advertising campaign?

You just get the impression they've picked the cartoon style to save money on making things look detailed in a big open world (similar to how Borderlands went).

The way they've done the car stuff just reinforces the fact they wanna save effort on making detailed animations too.
How does it? They're already made the animation for getting out of the car. Each charcter has an individual animation to enter a vehicle. That's more animation work, not less.

Really don't see why people are shitting on this so much. Looks like a fun concept.

This is uh...a weird read.

Fury451

Banned

I will agree that in some ways the SR games have always felt a little...cheap, I guess will be the best word. It's definitely its own identity, but it has a air of weightlessness to it at times. But the cartoon style has existed basically since the second game, but definitely since the third.

I have to disagree about the animation, to get out of the car the animation looks designed so you can immediately start shooting, and the getting in animation looks unique for every character, coupled with the fact that they're phasing in; that's not a lazy route that's actually making a bit more work for themselves.

Also weird how little traction this game is getting in the media. Honestly didn't realise it was out next week. Where is the big advertising campaign?

The recent slew of videos is basically it. A lot of games seem to be having issues with budget for marketing lately, several potentially high-profile titles have been released somewhat quietly in the past year, and if you have a game like this that's probably more mid-budget with little left for marketing budget, you're not really going to get much push at all until it starts to sell and they can use those numbers to kick up momentum.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Looks great to me, just completely under the radar. Baffled at the "I'll be getting this for cheap/free/nothing soon!" takes. That just ensures you will never get another one like it if it is any good.

Hopefully this turns out with the fun of Crackdown and the insanity and personality of a Saint's Row.

DoctorDake

Neo Member
I was very into this game until we realized there's no multiplayer/co-op. The entire marketing for it makes it look like a co-op game and it's just...not.

If it gets good reviews I'll give it a shot, but at the moment, I just don't really need another Sweet Action Game that doesn't offer anything new.

Glass Rebel

One Thing I Already Hate About Agents Of Mayhem: It seems obnoxious as fuck. And I have a high tolerance for obnoxious stuff, I love Guardians of the Galaxy.

Gator86

This game is going to bomb isn't it?

Absolutely. I hope it's good though. I spent a ton of time with the last couple Saints Row games. It would be great for it to be a quality release that turns into a sleeper hit. Can't read the title as anything other than Agents of Maybe now though.

LOLCats

Banned
Hasnt even been on my radar lol.

I loved the last couple saints row. This looks a little more teen friendly, might be good, might be bad idk.

I'll surely pick this up at 10 or 20$

Briarios

I've done a pretty big 180 on this game the more info that's come out on it. Originally it looked pretty bland and uninteresting, specially because I haven't really liked the past couple Saint's games all that much, but it actually looks like it might be a lot of fun to mess around with.

Same ... I've really flipped watching some of the combat and the like. I'm actually quite interested now.

Edit: Realizing it was a parody of the GI Joe cartoons really upped my tolerance for the stuff I previously found annoying.

NIN90

So this is closer to pre-SR4 so no jumping on rooftops and collecting agility orbs? Because fuck me I could use orbs collecting again.

KORNdoggy

why are there so few cars and pedestrians in the world. it's really not helping a game that already looks super basic and sterile.

Zukkoyaki

Genuinely looking forward to playing it! Hopefully it does well enough. I have a soft spot for Volition because it's one of the very few major studios in the midwest ^_^

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I've mostly committed to buying it, however it seems like the pc version won't have HDR. I'm thinking I'll get 1080p 60fps with an i7 and a 1070 but I want to hear about performance of the PS4 pro first.

Top Bottom