• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Five Things I Already Love About Agents Of Mayhem"

I'm not genuinely accusing Kotaku of anything because I really like Kotaku, but this shit reads like an advertorial
Gotta admit - once I finished the article I did find myself looking for a "sponsored content" tag.

Positivity is great - but positivity that comes across as buzzword laden marketing spiel, not so much.

I'm not genuinely accusing Kotaku of anything because I really like Kotaku, but this shit reads like an advertorial
Absolutely. I think the title goes a long way in making me think that it is. If it just said 'hands-on preview' I'd be a lot less skeptical for some reason.

God forbid someone gets a review copy early and posts some positive impressions.

Agreed. They are far from the only ones I've seen positive impressions from as well. I've been watching a bunch of clips/streams in the last few days and everyone seems to be enjoying it.

I'm kinda bummed my digital copy from Amazon cannot be preloaded.

Zukkoyaki

God forbid someone gets a review copy early and posts some positive impressions.
For real.

Also unsurprising that some of comments questioning the integrity of the article are coming from posters that have shit on the game in multiple threads.

It's okay for someone like something you don't.

killroy87

People throw the shilling/sponsored content bullshit around a lot here. Those are pretty fucking big words.

Has there been any single example of a big-name site doing any sort of content like that in the past five years? I feel like it's just a thing people say, without any reason to believe it actually happens.

Nah, many on GAF declared this game a total bomb so anything that points to the contrary means it can't be genuine.

I am not sure if the game will sell well or not but I will let the game speak for itself. Looks like it could be big dumb fun in the same vein as SR potentially

N° 2048

WTF!?

This is a single-player only game?

This whole time I thought it was a PvP hero shooter, I need to do more research.

Nah, many on GAF declared this game a total bomb so anything that points to the contrary means it can't be genuine.

I am not sure if the game will sell well or not but I will let the game speak for itself. Looks like it could be big dumb fun in the same vein as SR potentially
People are getting too defensive.

I've seen plenty of positives on the game - this Kotaku article was the only that seemed just overboard enough to make me wonder if it was sponsored. That's the truth, but carry on with agendas and conspiracies if you like.

If the game is good I'll pick it up and I hope that it is.

But the talk about it looking like a multiplayer or co-op game is also not made up or agenda driven. You've seen it from the beginning, you're seeing it now, and it'll haunt the game after release. That's just how it goes because of the game's design, marketing and developer pedigree.

DrBo42

50+ unique missions iirc, and each character has unique lines for them
Well that's promising at least. Not sure if unique lines are enough to justify a replay with other characters though. I'll have to catch some streams and read impressions when we get closer.

dreamfall

I want it badly! Happy to see some good impressions, really excited about the wild cast and the writing!

I just hope outfit skins are not locked behind clearing difficulty levels - I've never been particularly good with wave combat, I just want to experience and enjoy the story.

If this game had character creation like Saints Row, I'd have bought it. That was a big part of what made the SR series so much fun for me. Without it, I'll pass.

I am curious to see how people feel about the gunplay and the humour, because I think at this point I've seen enough positive buzz about the game that those are my two biggest worries now. I understand why people don't like the lack of multiplayer/co-op (and hey, more power to them) but I'm personally glad they concentrated on a single-player campaign. I just hope it's, y'know, good.

Volition can't touch saints row IP right? Would be cool if right when you think this game is over the screen pulls out and Johnny gat has been playing the whole time. He comments something about it being generic and wishing games were more like real life. Then you're in saints row 5

Volition can't touch saints row IP right? Would be cool if right when you think this game is over the screen pulls out and Johnny gat has been playing the whole time. He comments something about it being generic and wishing games were more like real life. Then you're in saints row 5

Not only do Volition still have access to the Saints Row IP, Johnny Gat is a playable DLC character in this if I remember correctly. Also, this is technically a Saints Row spinoff.

benzopil

Dat Tom Chick tweet tho

I like how you play the game, think it's the best thing in the world and BAM -- Tom gives it 1/5, explains why and you think "damn, can't even argue, he's right" lol

If he likes the game so much it should be something really great

The way you enter cars looks like a lazy animation shortcut rather than a cool new idea.

Personally I love it. It has attitude and comic book feel. There are literally dozens of open world games where you just open the door and climb in/out. This at least does something different and looks fantastic while they do it.

Holy shit the environment in this game always looks so empty and dead. It reminds me of open world games from the PS2 era where absolutely nothing is going on.

deadfolk

Dammit, this game can't turn out to be good. This has been an expensive month already and there's no way I can afford it!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Every character has a unique animation. It's more work, not less.

Yep different poses etc. Certainly doesn't look like a cutting corners method plus Volition have a habit of doing cool looking 'vehicle entries' like characters jumping through the window of a vehicle in Saints Row 3.

It's not shilling, but it doesn't really do much in terms of answer my burning questions. Are the missions actually going to be fun? PC Gamer, and a few other outlets, said that the game isn't dumb enough insofar that you aren't able to access the powerups and fun shit nearly as often as you should - is that really the case? What about the base building is unique or special or any more different than other games? And so on.

I ask this because the game seems to be boring some people in some aspects that I feel like I want fleshed out. Maybe others enjoy the game, that's cool, but none of these previews are really doing it for me.

Sesha

Why do outllets make these kinds of stupid articles? Who cares what some journo likes about a game that isn't out yet? And why make it a list? Is this a preview? An advertisement?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Why do outllets make these kinds of stupid articles? Who cares what some journo likes about a game that isn't out yet? And why make it a list? Is this a preview? An advertisement?

Maybe they just liked the game and wanted to write about it?

Mooreberg

How is this the first I've ever heard or seen of this game???? And it comes out in 4 days?
Deep Silver doesn't seem big on marketing. I saw the CG trailer last year, and then it just sort of reemerged out of nowhere with a release date not too long ago. If it is good I can see picking it up down the line. There are just a lot of games to catch up with this year.

Top Bottom