• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Five Things I Already Love About Agents Of Mayhem"

Triteon

I really want to like this game. SR2 is top 5 open world for me but everything i hear about this game turns me off.

I'll still probably try it though

patchday

I'll be buying a copy soon. Good on Kotaku for writing an article bout the game in a positive light

I love superhero games so it's a must for me. Probably grab it next week on Steam

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I was under the impression this was a co-op game.

Otherwise, what's really the point of having all these characters?

To give the player a number of characters to switch to on the fly I'd assume (so you have a quick select of 3 agents chosen from a larger base number which you can change at anytime outside a mission), basically the games version of switching weapons. So you've got say a tank character, a speedy character and a stealth character - to get into a base you could use the stealth character to neutralise any sentries/things outside and then use a fast character to grab something you need and then exit the base whilst fucking everything up by using a tank character. I mean I'm pulling this out of my ass here but that's always seemed like what they were going for to me.

One thing I'm hoping for is that since they've dropped coop for this they've had more time for designing actual content/missions. One of my bugbears with the later Saints Row games (especially 4) is that it felt like you were doing side activities as main missions at times. Now a much bigger developer could inevitably do both coop and a lot of content creation but it's always felt to me that Deep Silver aren't exactly a publisher with the huge funds of a bigger publisher so again I'd rather they spend more time on content compared to focusing on coop, especially if they're working on a new engine. Of course I don't really know, that's assumptions on my part but if it is a case of more content over coop, i'll take content everytime (and i'm admittedly more of a single player gamer these days when I get the time)

I guess we'll find out next week regardless anyway. One thing I did find interesting is that when the youtubers started uploading videos of the first 4 - 5 hours someone asked on the Steam forums 'why are they uploading so much footage' and I think it was Idolninja who replied saying 'well it's only the first 4 - 5 hours of a 40 hour game they're allowed to upload' so it seems like it's a meaty game at least (assuming the game length is even remotely close to that)

I'm becoming more intrigued by the moment with this game with the switching between three characters on the fly being my main draw.

In my dream scenario I wish Destiny allowed you to play story missions and strikes (and any other 3-man fireteam modes) with this character swapping mechanic with squad commands (Yeah, I know the Destiny play-spaces really aren't built for such things as a lot of mission/strike, etc spaces overlap and spill into Public play-spaces with other players on Patrol and whatnot.)

I may be up for some Mayhem...

Grisby

Getting kind of excited. I think this looks a lot better than Saints Row 4.

Also, it helps that I've got Wednesday and Thursday off to really get into it.
The way they've done the car stuff just reinforces the fact they wanna save effort on making detailed animations too.
Yeah but if you've seen one animation of someone jacking a car you've see them all right? Also, if you're going to be playing as a bunch of different people than why not give them some personality in the smallest of places.

Nydius

To give the player a number of characters to switch to on the fly I'd assume (so you have a quick select of 3 agents chosen from a larger base number which you can change at anytime outside a mission), basically the games version of switching weapons. So you've got say a tank character, a speedy character and a stealth character - to get into a base you could use the stealth character to neutralise any sentries/things outside and then use a fast character to grab something you need and then exit the base whilst fucking everything up by using a tank character. I mean I'm pulling this out of my ass here but that's always seemed like what they were going for to me.

First, thank fuck someone else has been watching their videos because I'm so tired of feeling like I'm the only person explaining to people why the game doesn't have coop.

For the bolded part, that's exactly what they've shown in their (albeit limited) gameplay videos and developer discussions. Coop in AoM would break the entire design of characters-as-loadouts. Either you have coop and you gimp yourself by only having 2 characters instead of 3 or you set coop to 2-per-player and break the entire game's balance by allowing 4 characters instead of 3. Besides, not every game needs coop and in some games shoehorning in coop made the game objectively worse by limiting the scope of main missions and inflating content with repetitive side missions and challenges.

Glass Rebel

Oh, I get what they are going for but the gameplay they've shown so far doesn't really make a good case for this design choice. It could turn out good in the final game but there's a reason why public perception has been rather tepid.

You are kinda pulling that out of your ass. There is no real stealth system, just a cloak on certain characters that works for a few seconds. The enemies know where you are at all other times. And there are no "fast" characters, all the agents have the same movement speed.

FHIZ

Agents of Mayhem still looks like fun.
That's what I've always thought. Just looks like some dumb fun, much like I've come to expect from the Saints Row team. Don't understand why people have shit on this game from day one.

That said, Deep Silver, Volution, whoever have done a pretty poor job at communicating what this game is early on and equally poor at pre launch promotion. Shit comes out NEXT WEEK, and up until a few youtubers seemingly getting the game early this week, all I've seen out of Volition are some live streams with anemic view counts. Clear they don't really have a great budget to get the word out.

Regardless, assuming there isn't some super fucked flaw or the PC port is garbage, I look forward to it next week.

Hesh

Whenever this game gets compared to Overwatch it feels like my brain gets rebooted. I know what a hero shooter is, but this doesn't look like a hero shooter at all. It looks like an open world game with unique characters. We used to have these before Overwatch, and they didn't play like Overwatch at all. I get that Overwatch is hugely popular, but it seems odd to try and market an open world PVE game as being similar to Overwatch simply because you don't create your own character and instead select from a group the developers made for you instead. :|

eshwaaz

You just get the impression they've picked the cartoon style to save money on making things look detailed in a big open world (similar to how Borderlands went).

The way they've done the car stuff just reinforces the fact they wanna save effort on making detailed animations too.
In the weekly streams Volition has been doing, they show off how many unique animations were done for each character, including multiple idles. They certainly didn't cut corners in that area.

Whenever this game gets compared to Overwatch it feels like my brain gets rebooted. I know what a hero shooter is, but this doesn't look like a hero shooter at all. It looks like an open world game with unique characters. We used to have these before Overwatch, and they didn't play like Overwatch at all. I get that Overwatch is hugely popular, but it seems odd to try and market an open world PVE game as being similar to Overwatch simply because you don't create your own character and instead select from a group the developers made for you instead. :|

It's funny because, on one of their streams, they mentioned how panicked they were when Overwatch was revealed until they found out it was a multiplayer FPS

even so, it's ridiculous because I get way more Crackdown vibes from this than Overwatch, and you even see some people around here saying this could be better than Crackdown 3 will be.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
First, thank fuck someone else has been watching their videos because I'm so tired of feeling like I'm the only person explaining to people why the game doesn't have coop.

For the bolded part, that's exactly what they've shown in their (albeit limited) gameplay videos and developer discussions. Coop in AoM would break the entire design of characters-as-loadouts. Either you have coop and you gimp yourself by only having 2 characters instead of 3 or you set coop to 2-per-player and break the entire game's balance by allowing 4 characters instead of 3. Besides, not every game needs coop and in some games shoehorning in coop made the game objectively worse by limiting the scope of main missions and inflating content with repetitive side missions and challenges.

I'll get watching some more of the streams/videos tonight/over the weekend but what kind of agents have they shown so far ? I saw a big tank like character and I saw Johnny Gat (who had an amazing sounding shotgun)

You are kinda pulling that out of your ass. There is no real stealth system, just a cloak on certain characters that works for a few seconds. The enemies know where you are at all other times. And there are no "fast" characters, all the agents have the same movement speed.

Ah fair enough! I at least got the switching agents right :p I haven't really been watching the Volition streams or anything along those lines to see indepth as to what each agent does.

I just know it looks like a lot of fun from the footage/trailers I've seen tbh.

I really wish the tone would have went back to SEe. Especially with Johnny Gat being a cop. That could have been a unique take with an established character

I really like that there doesn't seem to be some awful forced co-op, but I don't get why it looks like such a Saint's Row shit spinoff.

Either make a Saint's Row game, or make something new and different. This seems like a dumb middle ground.

If the game surprises and reviews well, a lot of big Youtubers and Twitch streamers will play it. That will of course help sales considerably. I'd like it to be good and do well on the sales side of things.

I can't wait. Personally I think the Overwatch comparisons are just going to confuse people though. Gameplay wise, structure wise, this game is nothing like Overwatch. Unless being a little cartoony and having different characters with different abilities now equals Overwatch.

george_us

I've seen enough footage to nudge me into "day one" territory. All of the youtuber footage makes the game look extremely fun. Only thing left is to find out how well it runs on PS4 and how stable it is.

I'm actually really looking forward to this game tbh.

And it doesn't need co-op but I definitely think it would've helped this game's appeal a bit, especially after Saints Row having full co-op.

hobozero

I have been torn on this one for a while, but ultimately, it's the Saints Row team. I've enjoyed all their games immensely, so I will take a chance on this one Day 1.

Top Bottom