• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: GTA V to have some sort of special perk for PS4 owners

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Basically we are entering a world where dev costs are too high for exclusive titles unless a first party is actually fronting the cost of development (at least partially).

So the new 3rd party exclusive is paid bonus or times content.

I mean, I guess it was nice having a BF4 pack a few months early.. but most of this content falls firmly in the who cares category.

This PS4 version keeps getting better and better. I am screaming on the inside with utter joy at this thought. I dislike the idea of console exclusive content...but gat dayum in this case when it swings in my favor I can't help but love it!! :D :D

The guy doesn't say anything about exclusive content. It's all out of the Kotaku journo's mouth. If it's anything it will be some useless tat for online.

Odrion

Banned
I wonder how much total money they spent on these really lame "exclusive content" deals.

You probably could fund another Vib Ribbon with it.

Exclusive content is such a dick move, imo.

Edit: Unless it's a unique collaboration that would otherwise be impossible, like TLOU/SOTC content in Diablo.

Kelsey

Banned
Basically we are entering a world where dev costs are too high for exclusive titles unless a first party is actually fronting the cost of development (at least partially).

I mean, I guess it was nice having a BF4 pack a few months early.. but most of this content falls firmly in the who cares category.

Yeah, that hour of "EXTRA GAMEPLAY" in Watch_Dogs was scintillating.

I do like the platform-specific content in Diablo though. That one doesnt feel like Sony is paying to keep something away from MS users.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Pretty much. Just so much #neaux1curr with all of this 'ten seconds of bonus content' stuff.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if it were the Far Cry 4 'your friends can play with you even if they don't own it' thing.

Sundown

Banned
fuck off with these exclusive hours, bazookas whatevers on both sides its hella lame.

This. It annoys me like nothing else, especially when they divide additional content amongst retailers. Infuriating.

At the very least make it timed. At least everyone gets access at some point that way.

Moneyhat = a third party game multiplat becomes exclusive

I don't see why additional content shouldn't be considered moneyhatting if another platform is deprived from it. I hate when any platform holder does this. Nintendo seems to be the only one not partaking in this nonsense.

bender

What time is it?
Exclusive content is such a dick move, imo.

Edit: Unless it's a unique collaboration that would otherwise be impossible, like TLOU/SOTC content in Diablo.

It's annoying for sure. Luckily, in the past, most exclusive content has been unremarkable.

murgo

Yeah, that hour of "EXTRA GAMEPLAY" in Watch_Dogs was scintillating.

I don't even remember what it was.
Wasn't it just 3 fixer contracts where you had to follow someone, download his stuff and then kill him?
Bonus content like that really is bullshit.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if it were the Far Cry 4 'your friends can play with you even if they don't own it' thing.

Jim Ryan seems to hint in an interview that the Keys to Krat feature was partly because of something built in the PS4's architecture to begin with, as in being able to invite your friends.

Not sure how much of that is simply marketing BS, but if true, I definitely welcome more marketing 'content exclusives' in the vein of FC4's, where it's unquestionably unique and a really great value-addition instead of timed DLC or horse armor.

casmith07

Believe it or not, i would pay 60€ to get 3, Vice City and San Andreas remastered on PS4.

I would pay $59.99 or more for that total package.

Even more if you went to the "airport" to fly to Vice City and got to go there all in one game.

Furyous

This is great news for some of us on top of the exporting X360/PS3 data to PS4.

With that said, is there any reason why Nintendo has two third-party exclusives and Sony/Microsoft have none? I'm not begging for any games on either platform but just wondering aloud.

KalBalboa

Banned
It's already got it!

ps-vita-3g-wifi-large.png

Sweettooth vehicle in game.

Holy shit. Don't do that to me.

Tigress

Copying over save from PS3 version?
Using Vita as a rear view mirror?

Ooooh, didn't even think of that, that would be neat.

Let me ride a horse.

Ha, that would be pretty awesome too.

The Last of Us mode where you play as Joel in the full open world, and pedestrians are replaced by bandits, infected and clickers.

Don't even tease that... That's just too cruel cause that probably isn't it (but it would be great).

Free blimp for PS4 owners!

Lol.

Honestly, I have no idea, it will probably be just some custom clothes but honestly, I'd freak if it was one of the three replies Iisted above besides the blimp (sorry, already got the blimp on PS3 ;) ).

And I don't even care if it was exclusive to PS4, I just want to be able to do that stuff above.

Nzyme32

Almost certain it won't be anything meaningful since they didn't declare it at E3

Also:
GTA is a PlayStation franchise. It started with us.

History and my childhood disagree with you

Sony's being really proactive with these deals!

90% of the time I come into these threads just to observe the difference in language used by GAFfers in response to sort of thing, and its MS equivalents
And y'all never ever disappoint

Moneyhat = a game that would be multiplat becomes exclusive.

People really need to start using the term correctly.

oh no dude it definitely 100% has the added definition, "also, any time Microsoft secures anything ever", where ya been

Moneyhat = a game that would be multiplat becomes exclusive.

People really need to start using the term correctly.

It's all made-up terminology, not like there's an actual definition to it.

And I don't see the why exclusive content wouldn't count as a money hat. Paying to keep content off another platform is a money hat.

DryvBy

This. It annoys me like nothing else, especially when they divide additional content amongst retailers. Infuriating.

At the very least make it timed. At least everyone gets access at some point that way.

I don't see why additional content shouldn't be considered moneyhatting if another platform is deprived from it. I hate when any platform holder does this. Nintendo seems to be the only one not partaking in this nonsense.

Because there's never anything worth having as exclusive content. Just check out the most recent Watch_Dogs content on PS4.

A multiplatform game being bought over to one system is horrible and sucks. Getting content on one or the other doesn't matter.

Nzyme32

Don't know about that gta started to get huge back in the ps2 days.

Well I recall I started playing the first GTA via DOS on my birthday way back when Lylat Wars (Star fox came out on N64) so... maybe 1997. Playing those 2 and Quake was awesome!

Almost certain it won't be anything meaningful since they didn't declare it at E3

Also:

History and my childhood disagree with you

The PS1 version of the 1st came out shortly(like 2 months) after the PC but GTA became huge on the PS2, San Andreas sold +22M on that platform alone. They're right in saying that GTA is traditionally a PlayStation franchise.

Cels

my prediction:
some sony-styled cosmetic stuff (play as nathan drake or delsin rowe in multiplayer?) that wouldn't make any sense on xbox, like the Diablo 3 stuff for PS4.
a GTAV console bundle

i don't think people who buy on xb1 or pc will be missing out on much at all.

Gator86

This is absolutely, and unfortunately, the norm now and it won't be changing anytime soon. Retailer exclusive pre-order content and moneyhatted platform DLC makes all the business people along the line happy because everyone can yell about something that differentiates their store, their console, their blah blah whatever. It's annoying but it's probably here for a couple gens at least.

Moneyhatting game exclusivity is much worse and impossibly shitty. Yeah, it's annoying when you're missing out on a few missions or a special unlockable hat for not ordering from Z-Mart or where the fuck ever, but at least you get to play the game. Simply handing over cash to prevent a completed multiplat game from being on competing consoles is the single shittiest way of creating "value" for your platform and should be regarded as such.

Nzyme32

The PS1 version of the 1st came out shortly(like 2 months) after the PC but GTA became huge on the PS2, San Andreas sold +22M on that platform alone. They're right in saying that GTA is traditionally a PlayStation franchise.

I don't doubt that it became a massive success during the GTA3 PS2 era. But it was a significant driver of games on it's original DOS release and subsequent Windows and PS1 releases. It was a well known name before GTA3, in large thanks to Windows and PS1

Top Bottom