• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Jim Sterling Uses Brilliant Workaround For YouTube's Copyright Bullshit

AHA-Lambda

I edited the title as I couldn't fit in the full thing as well as mentioning Jim.

“You may have noticed this week’s video had footage from Metal Gear Solid V, Grand Theft Auto V, and Beyond: Two Souls in it,” Sterling said. “Now, there’s a reason for that. The reason is Nintendo. Because I’m talking about a Nintendo game this week, I’ve used Nintendo game footage, and that means Nintendo will attempt to monetise this video even though the point of the Jimquisition is to be ad-free, thanks to your lovely help on Patreon.”

So, Jim Sterling hatched a plan. He went back through his older videos, and took note of what footage got slammed with a Content ID claim in the past. He then went ahead and copied that same flagged footage, and stuck it into his new video. The self-sabotage was intentional: Sterling wanted to fuck with the Content ID system.

The scheme panned out just the way he thought it would, Jim Sterling tells Kotaku.

“I can confirm it works,” Jim Sterling said over email. “It’s worked several times before. WMG tried to monetise the video for the Erasure music, but couldn’t because Nintendo and Take-Two had set their ContentID in this particular case to Not Monetised.”

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/04/27/...nt-workaround-for-youtubes-copyright-bullshit

I can see this being a trend that catches on! :D

This is the video in question (relevant section is 9 mins in)
https://youtu.be/9w2RMBrmTsk?t=9m6s

Break these chains of love if old.

Cess007

The dance at end of the video still gets me xD

puaqa4G.gif

yes, Yes, YES!!

Thats brilliant, hilarious and sad at the same time. Cant believe this is what people have to do to get around a broken ass system.

OmegaFax

I thought it was clever and funny. Yeah, it makes sense that something like this would confuse and cannibaliize a broken system.

KJRS_1993

Erasure are amongst the finest creators of camp pop music you could ever hope to find. I wholeheartedly recommend them.

While I disagree with his assessment of Star Fox Zero, I definitely applaud him for his clever workaround here.

I wonder if other content creators should just include a post-credits segment containing the same mix of footage/music he used. That way they, too, would scramble the copyright claims.

The problem is that this removes ads altogether. Jim can only do it because he is crowd funded. Creators that use ads cannot use this.

I didn't quite understand it until I read this part:

“I figured every time I talk about Nintendo, I’m going to throw in other stuff that gets flagged by Content ID, and just watch the corporations battle it out,” Sterling said. His hope was that by pulling this stunt, he could stop any company from monetising the video at all, since it wouldn’t be clear who really owned the footage in the first place. And if anybody did manage to monetise the video, they’d probably only get peanuts for it.

So the point isn't to not get flagged - it's just to prevent ads on the videos.

wiibomb

brilliant move..

may be other youtubers can copy the same idea just to see the struggle of all these companies trying to leech out the content

fuck that ID content system

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh, really? I didn't catch that detail.

If true, I guess this won't be useful to YouTubers who aren't supported by Patreon.

it's simple

have two channels

do copyright claims on one channel with the other channel

YOU CAN'T LOSE

Nzyme32

That's great! As this sees more use, that will likely cause a change to the system. Whether that will be a better or worse situation, we'll have to wait and see

bomblord1

Banned
I don't get it

Edit: Maybe ad this to the OP
“I discovered this by accident a few months back when competing claims from Sony and Konami meant no ads ended up running on my video. Pretty good workaround for someone trying to keep my series ad-free, even if it means you have to actively try and ‘infringe copyright’ to exercise your fair use rights.”

AHA-Lambda

I didn't quite understand it until I read this part:

So the point isn't to not get flagged - it's just to prevent ads on the videos.

Yeah, so if he knows he's going to get flagged anyway (by showing literally seconds worth of footage, as some companies like Nintendo are just that consistently notorious) he might as well not have people make money off of his work who have no ethical claim to monetising it but are able to cos Content ID is a bag of shite.

Top Bottom