• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Nintendo denies Wii U production is ending this week

From Kotaku:

Yesterday, Eurogamer reported that the production of Wii U consoles was ending this week. Today, Nintendo says this is “not true.”

Eurogamer reported that multiple sources confirmed to the site that the final Wii U would roll off the production line this Friday. “Nintendo declined to comment when contacted about this article,” states Eurogamer’s original article.

Japanese site IT Media reports that a spokesperson for Nintendo said, “There is no change to our continuing [Wii U] production.” The spokesperson prefaced the denial by stating he or she didn’t know the particulars of the article, but clearly stated that the report that the Wii U was ending production “was not true.”

“Even though the Nintendo Switch is slated to go on sale, [Wii U] production is scheduled to continue.” In this reply, IT Media added that there are also upcoming Wii U titles planned for release.

This is the second time this happens this year, lol.

Nibel

In this reply, IT Media added that there are also upcoming Wii U titles planned for release.

f6vzhew3tsdd.gif

This is probably just Nintendo lying to try to convince a dozen people that are on the fence to buy the console. As much as I love the games I own for the Wii U (more then I own for PS4), the console is dead as shit.

SpecX

This is probably just Nintendo lying to try to convince a dozen people that are on the fence to buy the console. As much as I love the games I own for the Wii U (more then I own for PS4), the console is dead as shit.

I'm on the fence and if it was true, I would be more motivated to buy one now. I'm still waiting for the fire sales this black Friday.

dh4niel

Zelda: Breath of the Wild and maybe a bare bones Mario Golf like the last Mario Tennis game? Just Dance 2017?

It only takes one game to turn around the fortunes of a system, and that game could be Project Giant Robot. So, best not put an end to production prematurey.

Petrae

Give it up, Nintendo. You can be truthful about giving WiiU the Old Yeller treatment. We all know it's dead. It's not a significant part of your Q4 plans pre-Switch, either.

Make that Classic NES Mini and Pokémon money this quarter, and let the WiiU die with what dignity it might have left.

Why is it important to know wether they actually stopped production or not?

Ceasing production is generally the last nail in the coffin for a console because they're trying to allot more resources into different production (Switch and Switch accessories). If you deny that that sort of thing hasn't happened yet, it'll defy that narrative and the public could still acknowledge it as still being alive for the time being.

It's totally dead though.

TAFK

"The Nintendo Switch will be a Third Pillar with the 3DS and Wii U just like the DS was with the GBA and Gamecube"

Ceasing production is generally the last nail in the coffin for a console because they're trying to allot more resources into different production (Switch and Switch accessories). If you deny that that sort of thing hasn't happened yet, it'll defy that narrative and the public could still acknowledge it as still being alive for the time being.

It's totally dead though.

Doesn't matter if Nintendo has officially ended production - the system is dead as shit in the eyes of consumers.

Sorcerer

I thought production ended a while ago and they were just shipping from warehouses. Surprised it took this long to kill the thing.

I thought production ended a while ago and they were just shipping from warehouses. Surprised it took this long to kill the thing.
I think that Nintendo is gaining money for every Wii U sold... So i don't see any problem with that... if they manage to sell 50k every month they still earning money. Maybe they are going to kill the production after the christmas season.

Top Bottom