• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Nintendo denies Wii U production is ending this week

I really wish Nintendo would put out a cheaper redesign of the Wii U that I could buy as a backup. If my Wii U dies on my Ill probably be fucked.

Seik

Banned
That would be really weird, Zelda is still coming out on it.

Considering this is one of their most ambitious title on the system, I believe there's still some units/bundles to be sold.

Neff

O06lt5.gif

Regiruler

Does Nintendo still fix controllers from older systems?

My R trigger and A button are getting a bit creaky and the system has too many great games to let slide into obscurity because the Gamepad took a beating.

I'm fairly sure they still officially do wii support, gamecube support possibly unofficially.

Verendus

Banned
I was real worried there for a second when I read the title. I didn't even know production was ending that to hear it denied is really a reassurance. That just gives me the confidence that I need to go ahead and purchase a Wii U. I'm looking forward to all the games I'll be able to play on it in the coming years.

Titles plural. Zelda. Maybe Project Giant Robot as mentioned above. Wonder what if anything else....

I wouldn't expect anything else from Nintendo. That said there were 2 retail releases this week. Obviously not many people will notice Tumblestone and Runbow. There are also a couple more like Shantae, Darksiders, Steamworld Collection, and Yooka Laylee. I guesd he's technically right but nothing that's going to sell Wii U's. Even Zelda isn't going to sell Wii U's when Switch is available.

Elios83

It's a situation where even if the rumor is right NIntendo wouldn't certainly confirm that the console they need to sell anyway this holiday season is a discontinued product.
In any case if it's not this week it will be soon and likely before the Switch is launched.

ActWan

I really hope not, I wanna get a cheap one on black friday.
EDIT: oh yeah, fucking Zelda. No way this is happening.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Were they actually still making these anyway? There's a ton of unsold stock in stores.

Yeah I can't imagine how production could be continuing, there's still too many unsold in stores at this point. I imagine some stores are already pretty annoyed Nintendo never did an official price drop to let them move their stock without losing money.

Persona7

Banned
Were they actually still making these anyway? There's a ton of unsold stock in stores.

This hasn't been the case locally for quite a while. Wal-mart and Target usually have 2 or less in the case at any time. Usually zero are visible until the holiday season when you see maybe 3-4 in the case at any given time. Gamestop probably has some.

Shiggy

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/lineup/index.html

It now says they'll cease production in Japanese page too.
(It may mean only current SKU they are displaying but I think it's safe to assume they're referring to Wii U as a whole).

"近日生産終了予定(日本国内) "

From my limited Chinese skills I understand that production in Japan is ending. Then again, recent production runs must have been so small that I doubt they were still producing units in China.

Top Bottom