• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) at E3 2012 confirmed

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I prefer the time based gameplay of Pikmin 1, but 2 was polished to perfection.

A combination of both for 3 would be ideal, with the time limit done as say a Challenge Mode.

Yeesh. I didn't think I'd be on the hype train since gaming conferences, E3 included, have been a bit of a let down. But I'm on the hype train. I didn't even beat the first two pikmin games and I'm genuinely excited to see what this looks like.

(up-res gcn)

Metal-Geo

Actually, I think pikmin will be so good with photorealism; grass, soil, earth, flowers are already quite beautiful in their original form; I mean, nature is most beautiful by itself!
Count me in. Those photos of Pikmin miniatures are beautiful. I wouldn't mind it one bit if the game tried looking photorealistic one bit.

5A5W2.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I love Mario games, but that one "alone" as main reasons would not be enough for me to jump at launch on the new console.
Totally different case with (finally!) a new Pikmin game.

omfg I laughed pretty hard. how long have you been sitting on that?
He actually posted that in 08 after the round table conference where Miyamoto announced Pikmin 3.

Which makes it funnier in hindsight when you realize that since Pikmin 3 was announced, on the Wii there have been 2 Mario games, a Zelda game, and a Metroid game.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It will look like pikmin 2 in HD i feel.
Nintendo will not be able to push the WiiU do to their lack of experience during this gen.

Nintendo will not be able to push the WiiU do to their lack of experience during this gen.

Nintendo pretty much always make the best looking games on their platforms and i expect this gen to be no different. Nintendo may not have worked on HD consoles but they have been around for a while now and i get the feeling the jump won't be as hard for them.

I don't expect them to suddenly be making games that are as technically impressive as say uncharted but i think they will be producing some very good looking games.

I'd say something like NSMB is more likely to struggle in the graphics department.

AniHawk

i can't believe it's been eight goddamn years since pikmin 2.

like, the wait between super metroid and metroid fusion was an eight year wait.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about due for a Pikmin 1 replay. Then I need to play Pikmin 2
for the first time

GCX

I wonder if it's called something else than Pikmin 3. It's a great opportunity to introduce the series to a new audience but 3 in the title could scare some people off.

GDGF

Soothsayer

I don't think they'll need it but who's to say they aren't getting help from Retro?

(Which IS Nintendo after all)

AniHawk

I wonder if it's called something else than Pikmin 3. It's a great opportunity to introduce the series to a new audience but 3 in the title could scare some people off.

pikmin university. it's an rpg like persona except without the dungeon crawling parts, and no dialogue.

If this is a launch title, I will totally be getting a Wii U right off the bat. Can't wait.
While this would indeed be great, I don't really see it happening now that Super Mario Bros WiiU potentially stepped into the launch-lineup. Nintendo is probably going to spread their big first party titles out and I would assume a 2D platformer would be easier for them to finish in time than Pikmin.

Personally, I hope Pikmin 3 took a few notes from 2009's Little King's Story. Having more things to do at your base will ease up on the combat and bring some variety to the table.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
No. Galaxy shows that Nintendo knows what they are doing with their hardware. And since Pikmin will be a Miyamoto game, you can be sure is going to look fantastic.

Please just don't be a wii up port. I am so looking forward to this. Interest for wiiU from from pretty much 0 ---> daywhenever this comes out.

Hero

You know, when you put it like that it suddenly makes me feel bad all over. As much as I really would've loved Pikmin 3 last year for Wii, I think it'll do much better as a launch title on Wii U.

I can't wait to see how Pikmin 3 will look like! I hope its similar to the first one somehow, if its possible to do so. I liked exploring outside and collecting items, it was fun.

What's more tragic is that Miyamoto said right before Pikmin 2 launched that he already knew what he wanted to do for Pikmin 3.

I never played any of the Pikmin games but they are so beloved on gaf I know I am missing out on something. Can someone do a quick breakdown on what the games are like for me?

Neiteio

- Character-driven franchise full of classic Nintendo charm
- Perfect for touch screen controls
- Perfect for benefitting from HD
- Franchise missing in action, finally returning

Pikmin 3 is a system seller for me. Hopefully it arrives in the launch window. :)

- Character-driven franchise full of classic Nintendo charm
- Perfect for touch screen controls
- Perfect for benefitting from HD
- Franchise missing in action, finally returning

Pikmin 3 is a system seller for me. Hopefully it arrives in the launch window. :)

When you say Character Driven do you mean like a platformer?

Neiteio

I never played any of the Pikmin games but they are so beloved on gaf I know I am missing out on something. Can someone do a quick breakdown on what the games are like for me?
You play as an astronaut the size of a quarter, who commands 100 ant-like Pikmin that will follow him without hesitation, even to their deaths (whether that's by fire, drowning, being crushed, eaten, etc -- you see their spirits float away). You move the astronaut, Olimar, with one analog stick, and steer the mass of Pikmin with the other analog stick, the whole army moving as one, although you can split them into smaller groups, or toss them individually. In Pikmin 2 you also had two astronauts, and could split your army, and tag back and forth between the two, to manage stuff in different places at the same time. It's all in real-time. You run around, exploring a huge Earth-like landscape from an ant-sized perspective, commanding the Pikmin to attack predator monsters, of which Pikmin 2 had hundreds, all wonderfully animated and creatively designed. You command the Pikmin to break down walls, build bridges, navigate dungeons and retrieve treasure like a Duracell battery or a Gundam action figure. You bring these back to your ship, since you work for a scavenging company. Your Pikmin can also bring back the bodies of the creature they slay, which are beamed up into their pod-like hives, which then expel seedlings that fall to the ground and sprout into Pikmin that you can then pluck up to replenish your ranks. Different colored Pikmin have different properties: red are fireproof, blue can swim, yellow are electric-proof and can be thrown farther and wield bombs, purple has the strength and weight of 10 Pikmin (good for weighing down switches, though they can't be thrown far), and white Pikmin are resistant to poison and are dangerous for predators to eat. In the first game you had to find your missing ship parts within 30 days, retreating to your ship with your Pikmin each night, since that's when dangerous numbers of predators come out. In the second game, you had unlimited days to explore, and time didn't pass in various underground dungeons in each level, but when you're above ground time resumed and you had to make sure you were at your ship by sundown. Otherwise, the ship takes off and whatever Pikmin are left behind are eaten by monsters in a heart-wrenching cutscene. You get attached to the buggers! And... That's it! I also hope the third game has the "pokedex" detailing all of the treasures and monsters, as per Pikmin 2. :)

Neiteio

HAHAHA! That sounds amazing! How in the hell have I missed out on this for so long.
It really is awesome. Miyamoto himself made the original, his first (and really last) true character-driven adventure game in the vein of Mario and Zelda and other "mascot" Nintendo games. The first game was fantastic, and the second game increased the content tenfold, with randomly generated underground dungeons and competitive and co-op multiplayer and challenge rooms and gorgeous Pixar-quality FMV cutscenes and a hidden character and an epilogue quest and reams of massive bosses and even Easter eggs on the title screen like being able to rearrange the Pikmin that make up the logo or pushing a button to send a predator scurrying across the title screen. *catches his breath* And then there were the emails between astronauts Olimar and Louie and their family and friends back home on Planet Hocotate that you read in your spaceship at the end of each day. And don't forget the wonderful credits sequence in Pikmin 2 that superimposed a CGI Louie on top of real-life video of natural landscapes, like babbling brooks and lily pads on a pond. The production values are among the best of any Nintendo game, and it's from the mind of Miyamoto and made by Nintendo EAD, their best designers. You'll love it.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Anyone remember the pikmin 2 credits after you recover all of your debt? I the scenery that Louie was in looked amazing. To this day I'm still not sure if it's real or not. I'd love something like in pikmin 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-aKa6feMNo

edit: Actually looking at it again, the scenery could be real with Louie photo shopped to it.

Top Bottom