• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for X720 [Pastebin = Ban]

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
When people make up these leaks for new consoles do they ever consider that we have to buy these things, and that while Sony obviously doesn't have the money to do anything stupid anyway, MS doesn't have the unlimited money to spend on stuff people seem to think they do.

I can't wait till both consoles are completely out in the open so we can move past this silly stage of rumours coming from every nook and cranny that never seem to line up with each other.

How many things in this old article become right?
http://***************/2012/11/29/r...y-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

Oops don't know it's banned site,my bad

From what I read, none, anything that is close to have happened to is going to just seemed to be based of rumours we already had, other stuff is just obvious made up nonsense that doesn't go with what is going on.

Izick

You can't just scrap a console design and have a new one ready in a couple of months...

Yeah huh, see, I did it right...now. Eh, forget that. Now!...Nah, don't like the exhaust port on the radiator cable. Now! There we go! Now that's one great piece o' hardware!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Nope. Those rumors would fuck up with the assumptions developers have been making for the past 7 months. Moreover, an architecture redesign would have to do wonders to accommodate the promises that Microsoft has been making to developers regarding them never having to worry about the OS processes interrupting with their game resources.
I would just wait for the /build conference on June 26th. I am confident MS will brief us developers on real hardware specs on that day since they most likely will be revealing an SDK to publish apps and games through a digital storefront like the one they have for Win 8 right now.

The funny thing about that new pastebin of fantasy specs is the PS4 is still a better design. The tightly coupled APU with 1.9 TFlops and 8GB of unified GDDR5 would still probably produce better results than a NUMA design with discrete components that have such a modest advantage in paper flops. There will be a lot of inefficiencies in that design the PS4 would not have to worry about, and the PS4 would be able to exploit GPGPU compute to a greater extent.

DBT85

We need to have a rumor round up and confirm what was true and what wasn't when all is revealed. For both PS4 and next box.

I've no doubt many will be done, but what is worrying plenty of folk is that the PS4 rumours were fairly spot on, so the chances are the Xbox ones are too.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
We need to have a rumor round up and confirm what was true and what wasn't when all is revealed. For both PS4 and next box.

The Liverpool APU rumor from fall of last year (PS4) turned out to be largely true.

This was confirmed by multiple sources again in January of this year, consequently around the same time the Durango rumors started to emerge from multiple sources.

The only surprise was the 8GB of GDDR5 Ram.

I expect there may be a surprise or two for Durango, but it will be outside the scope of the base hardware that's already been speculated about.

Perhaps clocks will go up. Perhaps it will include 360 hardware on the SoC for BC. Perhaps the RAM gets upgraded.

These are minor details in the grand scope of things. I think that what was reveled in January is largely what we should expect, just like it was for PS4.

The only surprise was the 8GB of GDDR5 Ram.

It was a surprise but the interesting thing to me is there WERE rumors of that beforehand too. Many people such as me just just dismissed them (and to be fair to us, it didn't appear very technically feasible)

Kind of shows almost anything will leak imo.

As tightly held a secret as that apparently was, it's kind of amazing we heard rumblings of it.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It was a surprise but the interesting thing to me is there WERE rumors of that beforehand too. Many people such as me just just dismissed them (and to be fair to us, it didn't appear very technically feasible)

Kind of shows almost anything will leak imo.

True, but those rumors were from credible sources (EDGE).

We haven't really see ANY updated credible rumors on Durango for months now.

Remember when the 360 specs leaked a year earlier and GAF was just as divided? Half thought they were legit and the other half thought 360 would be something else completely.

This is like part 2 of that same book.

KidBeta

Gemüsepizza;56800766 said:
Friend sent me this, but I don't really believe it lol:

http://pastebin.com/jd1HgAHk

About two weeks left!

The problem with this is that anything outside of a PC where your literally slotting bits together like Lego takes a shit load of custom design, months and months of it even if it is practically of the shelf parts.

So this has to be fake he clearly has no idea what he is talking about.

Alx

And the rumors keep coming

Our dev kits are currently "always-on", meaning they need a internet connection to start and all, but I am not sure if this will carry over to the final Xbox, I guess it's just a way for Microsoft to track dev kits right now.

Interesting idea, I didn't think about that possibility. It could explain why there are so many rumors of people being 100% sure that the console needs to be always online to run games ; maybe it's only true for the SDKs.
Anyway rumors are rumors. I don't think I would like it if MS changed their architecture at the last minute, I'm usually more confident in well thought-out plans. But we'll see how everything turn out.

Thorgal

So I can cook my dinner on it too. Nice!

and make toast
21iDLM3l.jpg

now that is a killer app :)

DEADEVIL

Interesting idea, I didn't think about that possibility. It could explain why there are so many rumors of people being 100% sure that the console needs to be always online to run games ; maybe it's only true for the SDKs.
Anyway rumors are rumors. I don't think I would like it if MS changed their architecture at the last minute, I'm usually more confident in well thought-out plans. But we'll see how everything turn out.

That's what I was thinking. The rumor of the spec is whatever. But, the truth behind the always on could've just been the Dev kits all along. It would make sense for MS to make the kits online only to track where they are being used.

It's clear that sites like Kotaku and others are out to spoil anything MS plans to do. So at the end if MS was able to control this piece of info it would have been ingenious.

Melchiah

It's clear that sites like Kotaku and others are out to spoil anything MS plans to do. So at the end if MS was able to control this piece of info it would have been ingenious.

Huh? I always thought Kotaku was more negative against Sony than Microsoft.

On a side note, I earlier asked what's the benefit of matched clocks in PS4's CPU and GPU, but no-one answered. Is it just about being in better sync with each other, or is there more to it?

Huh? I always thought Kotaku was more negative against Sony than Microsoft.

On a side note, I earlier asked what's the benefit of matched clocks in PS4's CPU and GPU, but no-one answered. Is it just about being in better sync with each other, or is there more to it?

Don't think so. I remember crecente was all over ps3 at launch even with crappy titles with horrible load times, he just totally ignored it and gushed anyway.

in that case there's still good possibility of overclocks and/or a ram increase.

i kind of hope they stick with the vgleaks architecture with the esram, i like it. i think the esram might be able to do some cool tricks.

reasonably best case for me if they stick with the same arch, might be 20% oc to 960 on the gpu, plus 12 gb ddr3. i'd take that all day long. i think that would be arguable parity with ps4.

Melchiah

Damn, I missed that. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

EDIT:
On an APU you can divide tasks between a CPU and the GPU instead of having to do all of it on one or the other. For example if 75% of a calculation was better served on the GPU while the other 25% was better handled on the CPU you can split it like that instead of forcing the GPU to power through that 25% it's not good at. It's a pretty big efficiency boost. With clocks matched to be perfect multiples of each other (aka the 1.6GHz CPU and 800MHz GPU numbers we've heard) you can time the processes to match up and be done at the same time. It used to be that on an APU they were required to match but they don't have to any more, it just helps when dividing processes. There is a chance they may have overcome that though, I don't know.

Interesting, and apparently it has more benefits than I thought. Hopefully they keep the clocks matched then, instead of upping the other, like some rumors have suggested.

Don't think so. I remember crecente was all over ps3 at launch even with crappy titles with horrible load times, he just totally ignored it and gushed anyway.

Perhaps his stance changed after the events that followed the launch? I just have a recollection of Kotaku putting a negative spin on many PS3 related news.

And the rumors keep coming

Hope this is true, MS shaking in their boots!

I dont really understand tech all that well, but I do feel worried about this " new" version of xbox. will it have enough time to be tested properly before release? Changing so many specs might screw with the stability of the console...

I would hate to see a new era of RROD.

Top Bottom