• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

Bsigg12

Yes.

They are by far the most damaging posts on Gaf, by far, creating disinformation and causing sensationalist websites to grab the quote a run with it as a story. Then you have a million more message boards spreading the 'news' off. It's a spiral of shit hitting the turbine.

There is precedence...

More or less , especially during times like this. The whole "I know stuff but I can't tell everything" gets old.

Ok that's what I figured. It added nothing to the discussion and it has us
well mainly me
here now because I was wondering if you could get away with that. Thanks guys.

If the PS4 is not backwards compatible, where are the PS+ free games going to come from since there is no pool of year old games to pull from? Gakai?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
If they put a paywall behind online play or video apps (YouTube, Netflix, crunchyroll, etc) I am never buying the console. Also if the premium is more than $450 it is going to be DoA. God damn Sony don't make the PS4 a Vita-like situation with ridiculously priced hardware.

They should be aiming for mass market prices like they did with the PS1 and PS2.

Then don't buy the premium version, simple as that.

Why are you judging the price based on the premium version? It most certainly won't be as gimped like the 360 tard pack. It doesn't make any sense. Premium means exactly what it means, it if for people willing to pay extra for a few luxury features, but the lower priced SKU will certainly remain perfectly capable.

DaBoss

Damn I wanted a PS4, but if they are gonna charge for online I'll stick with msft.
Of course the price for console will weigh on my decision.

What? This doesn't make sense to me whatsoever. If they do charge online, wouldn't the choice be harder between Xbox 3 and PS4 instead of it being easier leaning towards PS4?

Then don't buy the premium version, simple as that.

Why are you judging the price based on the premium version? It most certainly won't be as gimped like the 360 tard pack. It doesn't make any sense. Premium means exactly what it means, it if for people willing to pay extra for a few luxury features, but the lower priced SKU will certainly remain perfectly capable.

There is a reason why the non-premium version is called the turd pack. It just is too much of a downgrade majority of the time.

Bsigg12

If the PS4 is not backwards compatible, where are the PS+ free games going to come from since there is no pool of year old games to pull from?

Gaikai streaming of PS3 games that come out around the same time of the PS4 launch? I'm thinking for the first month if the Gaikai stuff is actually going to work that way, if you have PS+ and are a PS4 owner, you could get access to 2-3 brand new releases. Just wishful thinking though.

goomba

Banned
Sony should throw in some additional RAM , doesn't have to be GDDR5 . OS could use DDR3 and leave all the GDDR5 for "games". 6- 8 GB total ram over 4GB to would make a big difference IMO

fse

What? This doesn't make sense to me whatsoever. If they do charge online, wouldn't the choice be harder between Xbox 3 and PS4 instead of it being easier leaning towards PS4?

There is a reason why the non-premium version is called the turd pack.

Currently not leaning to either.

If the PS4 is not backwards compatible, where are the PS+ free games going to come from since there is no pool of year old games to pull from? Gakai?
Or the service wouldn't be worth a shit for 2 years or so... I could see that happening and more likely than your example. This is Sony!

ksdixon

Well... if Sony start charging for playing online which is currently free, then I will not get a PS4. They will flush all the goodwill that PS+/Instant Game Collection built-up for them; which was something great after their stupid launch price.

I will just stay on PC and dump all consoles, rather than get a PS4 like I planned.

DaBoss

Currently not leaning to either.

But you said sticking with MS, do you mean that you had your 360 as your main console this gen, and would keep the next MS console as your main console next gen? If so, then I guess that makes perfect sense.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
ignore all the $430 stuff. just round it down to $400. sony never prices their products as the straight yen to USD rate. the yen will always be a littler higher.

the PS3 launch price in yen was 6.2 percent higher than the straight USD conversion of $599.99. the difference between the rumored PS4 price in yen of $427-ish is roughly 6.5 percent higher than $399.99.

ie: these people saw the rumor about that 40,000 yen on a gaming site, they googled what the conversion rate was, and are trying to post it as top secret info they are passing along to us.

That's not the case here though, sounds like this guy has some actual information, given the fact that he released the code names, and had new pictures of the controller to share.

That's not the case here though, sounds like this guy has some actual information, given the fact that he released the code names, and had new pictures of the controller to share.
Even if he is right I would still expect it to fall down to 400 and 500 by November.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

There is a reason why the non-premium version is called the turd pack. It just is too much of a downgrade majority of the time.

The tard pack is referring the 360 arcade. You are talking about a system with no hard drive nor internal storage versus one that has. The PS3 and WiiU never had this issue. The only difference between and premium sku and a non premium sku may just be the difference in the amount of internal storage, and maybe a pack in game/peripheral.

jschreier

Just to emphasize something, since everyone seems to be mostly talking about the price: we weren't kidding when we reported that while $429/$529 is the current plan, according to our source, that could change over the next few months. We don't expect a pricing announcement tomorrow.

fse

But you said sticking with MS, do you mean that you had your 360 as your main console this gen, and would keep the next MS console as your main console next gen? If so, then I guess that makes perfect sense.

I have both this gen, wanted to just get one next gen console this year. So yea rather stick to one.

Just to emphasize something, since everyone seems to be mostly talking about the price: we weren't kidding when we reported that while $429/$529 is the current plan, according to our source, that could change over the next few months. We don't expect a pricing announcement tomorrow.
Change could mean go up or down

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up

All these Kotaku rumours are just BS . Dont believe in these things . Dont know why the site just hates SONY for like eons and isnt banned at Gaf

No , there is no plans for releasing an SKU above 500$. Last i heard , there was gunning for 470$ and a lower sku with 420$ price tag. SONY most probably upped the RAM in the final machine

I have some very concrete info but cant afford to lose my job as all these are just insider infos . Like i said PS4 was showcased to big investors last week . One thing could be right though the Xperia connectivity . But please dont believe in these BS

Good night and i am sure all of you will be happy with PS4 unveiling including the haters :)

Would you be willing to put your account on the line.
If any SKU is above $500 you get perma-banned.

AKA, spout bullshit with the safety net "it could change", all for the sake of site hits.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

Keep milking those hits bro!

Sony should throw in some additional RAM , doesn't have to be GDDR5 . OS could use DDR3 and leave all the GDDR5 for "games". 6- 8 GB total ram over 4GB to would make a big difference IMO

not really. go poke around in the RAM thread for why this is, then come back.

Seriously. We are a few hours out and yet still. Just PM a mod and they'll be discrete until you are ready to discuss. At least that way they can verify.
Stuff like this is annoying. I PM'd a mod so he can clarify and his good name can be cleared.

Also, I doubt Sony is going to announce any price at all tomorrow especially if it's on the high side. When did they announce $599 for the PS3? Was that at E3?

artist

Banned
Pretty sure, the hundreds of engineers at Sony/AMD already considered this option. (and then trashed it)

Would you be willing to put your account on the line.
If any SKU is above $500 you get perma-banned.
You dont need to make bets anymore. People pretending to be insiders will get banned, they're all being watched by the mods.

thuway

+1. I still believe in the one SKU machine. If we do see two SKU's at those price points, I expect SSD, 1 year PlayStation Plus, and a larger hard drive packed in. The lower priced model will be beefy enough to not be known as the "tard" pack.

Dat Newegg mentality.

I actually laughed out loud at this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stuff like this is annoying. I PM'd a mod so he can clarify and his good name can be cleared.

Also, I doubt Sony is going to announce any price at all tomorrow especially if it's on the high side. When did they announce $599 for the PS3? Was that at E3?

It was E3 when the PS3 price was announced. I could see it being even later than that before we get a price this time around.

+1. I still believe in the one SKU machine. If we do see two SKU's at those price points, I expect SSD, 1 year PlayStation Plus, and a larger hard drive packed in. The lower priced model will be beefy enough to not be known as the "tard" pack.

I'd hope for this too.

Has Sony ever launched at a price point that didn't end in 49 or 99? I don't mean to propose an appeal to history but I am willing to say there is no precedence.

Zapages

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up

All these Kotaku rumours are just BS . Dont believe in these things . Dont know why the site just hates SONY for like eons and isnt banned at Gaf

No , there is no plans for releasing an SKU above 500$. Last i heard , there was gunning for 470$ and a lower sku with 420$ price tag. SONY most probably upped the RAM in the final machine

I have some very concrete info but cant afford to lose my job as all these are just insider infos . Like i said PS4 was showcased to big investors last week . One thing could be right though the Xperia connectivity . But please dont believe in these BS

Good night and i am sure all of you will be happy with PS4 unveiling including the haters :)

That'll be awesome if that is true...

jschreier

AKA, spout bullshit with the safety net "it could change", all for the sake of site hits.

Actually, we'd rather just be honest. We don't know everything, and there's no way for us to know everything until Sony makes their announcement. We are confident about everything we reported, but as we said in the report, the price may change. We'd rather share as much as possible with our readers than keep it to ourselves. And if you think it's all bullshit - including those photos of the PS4 prototype controller - then, well, enjoy your cynicism.

thuway

As much as I'll get hate for this, Nintendo had the best announcement scheduling with the Wii. At one conference they unveiled the unit. The next conference, they showed off the controller, but hinted that not all the secret's were revealed. The final conference, they revealed price points. It was enough to keep hype and conversation going.

As much as I'll get hate for this, Nintendo had the best announcement scheduling with the Wii. At one conference they unveiled the unit. The next conference, they showed off the controller, but hinted that not all the secret's were revealed. The final conference, they revealed price points. It was enough to keep hype and conversation going.

Didn't they unveil it like 18 months before it went on shelves (E3 2011)? That seems far less than optimal.

Cels

Actually, we'd rather just be honest. We don't know everything, and there's no way for us to know everything until Sony makes their announcement. We are confident about everything we reported, but as we said in the report, the price may change. We'd rather share as much as possible with our readers than keep it to ourselves. And if you think it's all bullshit - including those photos of the PS4 prototype controller - then, well, enjoy your cynicism.

we're all going to know tomorrow anyway, so nbd

BadAss2961

They better not start charging for online features that are already free on PS3... As long as they don't do that, i'm buying a PS4 day 1.

You weren't the first to show the controller.

thuway

Didn't they unveil it like 18 months before it went on shelves (E3 2011)? That seems far less than optimal.

All I am implying is, Sony needs to have a schedule of announcements. They need something for the day Microsoft announces Durango. They need something for E3. And they need something for the month before the machine launches. Conversation and hype needs to sustain itself.

Nope. 2 Skus everybody looks at the more expensive model. Again people forget the 499 for ps3, all people remember is 599 US dollars.
People on the internets maybe but consumers and especially parents will eyeball the lower price point. So will everybody that can't afford the pricy model.

All I am implying is, Sony needs to have a schedule of announcements. They need something for the day Microsoft announces Durango. They need something for E3. And they need something for the month before the machine launches. Conversation and hype needs to sustain itself.

Oh yeah, definitely see ya there.

I actually think that's what really hurt Nintendo, because keeping the hype going for 18 months was basically impossible.

jschreier

You weren't the first to show the controller.

Did I say we were first to show the controller? No. But we have two new photos of the controller today, which is yet more evidence supporting the fact that we're not just making things up. Making things up for the sake of traffic would do more harm than good for a site as big as Kotaku. So the accusations make no sense to me. We want to share everything we know with readers, and sometimes that means saying "hey, this is what we hear about Sony's plan right now, but that could change." I'd rather we say that than keep secrets or not report things as we hear them.

Top Bottom